Like Tree9538Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    ...because, quite frankly, that job sucks.
    I lol'd....
    Test: 2000
    Score: 98
    List Number: 60**

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    Since the promo from ems was created, there has never been an all ems class. What does that tell you.

Also, if the FDNY could've, don't you think they would've bargained with garaufis to let them hire off the promo? These people would've been hired regardless, right? So why not hire them in the mean time? Because there's no way in hell garaufis would allow only ems classes to enter because then you'd be keeping minorities out again. I know what you're thinkin, but the ems side is mostly minority, true. Garaufis sees the ems employees as members of the FDNY already, they're in the system as far as he's concerned, they don't count. This is the main reason you will never see only ems classes.

Second reason being the department can't afford to lose that many ems members in such a short period of time. Once the FD hiring kicks into gear, you're looking at over 300 people every 4.5 months. The emt academy is only capable of training that amount in a year, plus they have one of the highest attrition rates of all city employees because, quite frankly, that job sucks.
    You sound like you had your share of experience with FDNY EMS lol. I do agree with you though, I was told to join Ems for like 7 years now and just couldn't force myself to do it, I give props to who ever is out there doing it but I personally wouldn't be able to handle 20 something years of that. With that being said I choose the old fashion way to compete against the thousands and thousands of applicants, did it once got screwed now hoping and praying for a second opportunity.

Forum Member

1) FDNY Medal Day today. Congrats to all those receiving recognition.
    http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/pdf/pub...2012_FINAL.pdf

Members of Engine Co. 201 and Tower Ladder 114 talking about their actions.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8JF2Ecu7hI8

2) 68 years ago today, June 6, 1944, D-Day, Allied Forces invaded Europe, led by the United States.

3) 14 years ago yesterday, June 5, 1998, was the day of the Atlantic Ave fire where Lieutenant James Blackmore made the supreme sacrifice. Captain LaPiedra was critically burned, but survived until July 4, 1998, when made the supreme sacrifice, due injuries suffered at the fire. Captain Timmy Stackpole was severely injured that day. He eventually made it back to the job, but was later lost on 9/11/01. Also, injured were Brian Baiker and FF Terrance Quinn.

4) As of now, there is very little credible information out there in regards to List 2000. We still do not know how it will be scored, weighted or when the list will be established. The judge still will get his chance to look at list, which he then has to approve or disapprove.

5) As I said before, recruitment will tell you that the promo list will be exhausted first. My understanding of this issue, it is supposed to be done that way. However, in the past, EMS promos have been dispersed throughout the classes that were hired. BUT, none of that means ANYTHING until it actually happens. Regardless of how the promos are hired, all first or distributed a bit at a time into classes, that entire list will be used. Meaning, it's irrelevant how the promos are hired, because they will be hired regardless.

6) Agan, At this point, if anyone says they know what's happening for sure, they're either full of it or lying. Nobody does. This process, so far, is being held closely to then chest by PSI, DCAS and the FDNY. Take all information with a grain of salt until it comes from an official sources.

7) There was no representative of any city agency at the meeting. It was simply a group of potential candidates who wish to become FDNY members.

8) At this time, If you wish to attempt to get further official information, call FDNY recruitment or DCAS.
    Last edited by Minerva; 06-06-2012 at 03:16 PM.

Forum Member

Go to the next meeting
    Last edited by TomFromQueens; 06-06-2012 at 04:10 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    I genuinely had difficulty hearing because of the music blasting down stairs so I could have misheard but I could of sworn I heard the woman say the city plans the exhaust the promo list before the open competitive list if the judge approves the exam. I believe she worked for DCAS or EEO. Again I stress I was sitting right by the stair case that led to the downstairs bar and they had music blasting so at time it was difficult for me to hear. But according the scav here, he spoke to recruitment and they told him the same. They stressed no one knows how this will play out but they're supposed to exhaust the promo list first. But in the past it usually doesn't happen like that. Also I'm pretty sure they said last night DCAS in charge of the hiring. Again anyone else that was there that post here, please correct me if I'm wrong to clarify what I'm saying. If those that didn't go last night have a problem with what I'm saying of the information, maybe go to the meeting next time.
    I'll say it one more time and word it slightly differently and then you can believe what you want.

DCAS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH OFFERING CANDIDATES A POSITION WITH THE FDNY.

P.S. Thanks for confirming that I didn't waste a few hours I could never recoup by going to that meeting last night.
    Last edited by GIMMEFIRE600; 06-06-2012 at 02:56 PM.

Forum Member
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

I have to agree with Tom. At times (50%) it was extremely difficult to hear because of the music blasting. But, I heard the same thing about the promo list. So, the person I spoke to at the recruitment center was saying the truth so far. But then again things are always subject to change.

Forum Member

Again, there was nobody from DCAS or EEO at the meeting. Meaning, there was no official source.

Again, it is absolutely true that FDNY recruitment will tell you they plan to hire all the EMS promos first. However, the key word is 'recruitment.' Also, to my knowledge (and feel free to correct me if needed) there were no classes hired from 2043 that were all Promos. This was also true for the first and only class hired from 6019. However, nobody know what's going to happen yet. It's likely to remain that way until early fall.

For some perspective, remember, exam 6019 was given in January 2007. Hiring did not begin until June 2008. Be prepared for a long haul.
    Last edited by Minerva; 06-06-2012 at 04:09 PM.

Forum Member

Minerva were you at the meeting? just curious since you always have such informative posts.

Another thing the meeting stressed was not to talk about the details at all, things aren't neccesarily over yet.

Forum Member

Yes, I was at the meeting.

And you are correct to note that it is important to NOT talk about specific exam content on this forum (or any, for that matter) until official permission is given (DCAS or FDNY). This forum is public and public officials do view these message boards. Think before you post and be respectful.

In general it is best to keep speculation to a minimum. It serves very little purpose, if any. It is best take this whole situation one step at a time. We have each have done all we can to this point. Now we must wait for the next step to come. I know it stinks. But that is the nature of our pursuit.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Minerva View Post
    In general it is best to keep speculation to a minimum. It serves very little purpose, if any. It is best take this whole situation one step at a time. We have each have done all we can to this point. Now we must wait for the next step to come. I know it stinks. But that is the nature of our pursuit.
    Any post from here until the list is released will be speculation and speculation rebuttal. Let this thread fall into the the depths of Hiring and Employment Discussion until then

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    I could have misheard because they were blasting music below us but everything is pending the judges approval but if everything goes down like it normally would, the city would exhaust the 2500 list before touching the 2000 list. I believe th feel free to clarify or correct what I'm saying. At times it was hard to hear with the music blasting and where I was sitting.
    Okay so you know, she is not a source but like all of us has asked a lot of question about the process. Calling her a source does her a disservice, that information is false and everyone who quoted it, edit it out. She works for neither of the departments mentioned.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYPD View Post
    Any post from here until the list is released will be speculation and speculation rebuttal. Let this thread fall into the the depths of Hiring and Employment Discussion until then
    In general, that's a good idea. However, there are other things that can be discussed: Workouts, preparation concerns, maybe FDNY history.

Forum Member

True. Good call

Forum Member

I feel like its gonna be a long time waiting for any new info at this point. Anyone in the NYC area wanna form a stickball league or something to keep the sanity? haha

Forum Member

Doubt it will be a long haul . Losing millions in overtime is something that Bloomberg has openly stated a grievance against. I'm personally expecting academy classes at the rock to start up by January 2013. Just solely due to the fact of the vulcans and the city putting so much pressure on the department. I understand that some are using past tests and history as precedents but, i don't believe that a slow process this time around benefits anybody. The vulcans cause, the Cities budget, or the departments view in the public light. So based off of that logic alone i expect the process to be a little faster than most of you think

Forum Member

2013? I'll bet January 2014 if we're making wagers.

I don't want it to be January 2013. There would be some serious corner-cutting and reduction of standards if they put people through that quickly

Forum Member

2013? I'll bet January 2014 if we're making wagers.

I don't want it to be January 2013. There would be some serious corner-cutting and reduction of standards if they put people through that quickly
    If you actually want Jan 2014 I am assuming you are not nearly as old as I am haha.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    If you actually want Jan 2014 I am assuming you are not nearly as old as I am haha.
    Haha I see what you're saying. I don't actually want that. It's just my guess based on budgets and other factors. Since Bloomy hasn't fought hard for FD in the past, I doubt he's going to strain himself in his last term. Maybe the next guy will move faster

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ICNYC View Post
    Doubt it will be a long haul . Losing millions in overtime is something that Bloomberg has openly stated a grievance against. I'm personally expecting academy classes at the rock to start up by January 2013. Just solely due to the fact of the vulcans and the city putting so much pressure on the department. I understand that some are using past tests and history as precedents but, i don't believe that a slow process this time around benefits anybody. The vulcans cause, the Cities budget, or the departments view in the public light. So based off of that logic alone i expect the process to be a little faster than most of you think
    Not to sound like a ****** here, but I would bet every dollar I have that a class won't be in that early (My guess is April at the very best). If we aren't getting list #s until September the earliest, that means physicals at best start late that month thru October. Then you have Backgrounds and Psychs followed by a Medical exam that I believe wasn't more than 30-40 guys a day if I remember doing it 3x correctly. To say all those steps are completed in 4 months is wayyy more than wishful thinking Haha.

Forum Member

I don't really understand what you mean by corner cutting.. expedited is not corner cutting. Academy i expect to be the same long training as usual but they can't afford to have a drawn out hiring process. Literally, can't afford it.

Forum Member

i totally get what your saying and it's easy to laugh at it but losing over 100 million in overtime is not funny to these guys. So i would gladly take your bet . Losing money is losing money and pressure just like **** trickles down.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ICNYC View Post
    I don't really understand what you mean by corner cutting.. expedited is not corner cutting. Academy i expect to be the same long training as usual but they can't afford to have a drawn out hiring process. Literally, can't afford it.
    Sorry, I meant cutting corners in the hiring process.

Like vek said, it's long process.

Forum Member

Sorry, I meant cutting corners in the hiring process.

Like vek said, it's long process.
    Yeah wasn't meant to shoot ya down dude. Just saying that fitting a physical, background, psych, and medical into 4 months is impossible with the way **** goes in the City. Pretty sure DCAS handles the physical exam so that timeframe between that and the background investigation day will prob be the longest span of time. I hated that day at the time, but now I wish it was tomorrow...smh

Forum Member

I expect that the city will have the CPAT prep class again. I can't remember the exact length from the last time, but I think it was between 8 and 12 weeks. Then you'll get a 'practice' run, plus three chances to pass, if you do not on the 'practice.' Then you have background, psych and the medical. It takes time, regardless of the situation with OT costs and the desire to hire. Unfortunately, It's not a process that can really be expedited.

There are also numerous variables in play, the biggest of which is the Judge. He still has to approve the results. And he has stated, in at least one of the court documents, that the OT cost to the city are not of his concern.

I think the city would probably hire yesterday, if possible. The longer this goes on, the more openings there will be. Members are still slowly retiring. There were promotions just last week. That, to me, is one thing in our favor. Once hiring can begin, they will need people and likely, a lot of them.
    DJ_Reverse likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Minerva View Post
    Once hiring can begin, they will need people and likely, a lot of them.
    Here, here. I hope so

Thread Information