Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 111 of 1197 FirstFirst ... 11611011081091101111121131141211612116111111 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,220 of 23932
Like Tree9376Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

good luck to the guys going in today....very interested to hear about your experience

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    good luck to the guys going in today....very interested to hear about your experience
    Going tomorrow, getting just as nervous as I was before the actual exam. Looking forward to what the guys going today say about it. I believe a few people in the thread said they were going today so hopefully they report back.

Forum Member

on my way, they want a print-out of the email, going to stop by a library or something

Forum Member

st francis is right there. you could beg someone to use a printer.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkjets75 View Post
    Guys, Let's keep it professional on here. I know emotions are high but posting this kind of stuff helps nobody. Whether we like it or not, everything that is posted here ultimately represents us as FDNY hopefuls. People from around the world can come on here and form an opinion on us based on what is posted. Don't dishonor the FDNY name with this stuff.

Also, I'm sure most of us have heard about Chief DiBernardo and his fight to get his son's death to be considered line of duty-sign this petition to help the cause.

Human Rights Petition: NEVER FORGET - Include FDNY Black Sunday Hero, Rescue 3 Lt. Joey DiBernardo's on the FDNY's "Wall of Heroes" | Change.org
    Nobody is dishonoring the FDNY on here. We're all voicing mutual frustration with a bunch of joke characters that have not only dishonored the FDNY but the citizens of NYC as well. I'm sorry but the battlegrounds have been laid out and those guys are against us and anybody else who has worked hard for this job.

Good job on posting that petition though. I honestly can't believe this is even a topic for debate.

Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

I go in at 4 today yay!! But nervous at the same damn time. Good luck jay hope you did very well.

Forum Member

Now i'm no mathematician but (and emphasize BUT) the number 3500 possible jobs the next four year keeps floating around (even in a news article or two) and if only 41,000 took exam....that would be about 1 in 12 chance...yes I know thats not official hiring # but 1 in 12ish odds for a dream job (dept.) isn't too bad in my book. Even if you want to 1/2 that and say 1750 hired thats 1 in 24....still not bad. Maybe i'm just a glass half full guy? Thoughts?
    vekdoggs75 and CSRNYC like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Giveitashot View Post
    Now i'm no mathematician but (and emphasize BUT) the number 3500 possible jobs the next four year keeps floating around (even in a news article or two) and if only 41,000 took exam....that would be about 1 in 12 chance...yes I know thats not official hiring # but 1 in 12ish odds for a dream job (dept.) isn't too bad in my book. Even if you want to 1/2 that and say 1750 hired thats 1 in 24....still not bad. Maybe i'm just a glass half full guy? Thoughts?
    If its actually 3,500 hired you arent even being optimistic enough since they'd probably have to go though at least 10,000 list numbers to reach that many hires. But yeah 3,500 seems like A LOT. I'd love it to be true, means that you could probably get a score in the 80's and still have a chance at getting hired.

The more i think about it though the more that number makes sense for the follow reasons:

- They have only hired ~ 280 new firefighters since 2007
    - The attrition rate of retiring FF's is about 400-500 a year
    - And that rate is bound to go up in the next 4 years since many guys have just been clocking a couple extra years with all the OT thats flowing now (def not saying thats the only reason but might be a factor).
    - They are already understaffed by over a 1000 and that number will balloon if and when they get the 5th man back.
    - The economy recovering will help keep firehouses off the chopping block and enable the city to afford to hire.
    - And most importantly, I feel that this list being as diverse as it is, I think that there will be a lot of pressure to hire as much as possible off it. The higher they get in the list the more the percentages will even out and reflect who sat for the exam. (not saying one group will do better than the other)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Giveitashot View Post
    Best post in the damn thread. For all the negativity surrounding the exam and our test own test anxiety, we needed some positivity around here.

Forum Member

st francis is right there. you could beg someone to use a printer.
    I went there and they wont let you in with out a school ID, there is a library like 2 blocks up.

Forum Member

I keep hearing people say that the test was easy. This makes me nervous, because in retrospect I don't remember it being that easy. However I also remember being relieved while taking it and felt I was doing good at the time.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    Nobody is dishonoring the FDNY on here. We're all voicing mutual frustration with a bunch of joke characters that have not only dishonored the FDNY but the citizens of NYC as well. I'm sorry but the battlegrounds have been laid out and those guys are against us and anybody else who has worked hard for this job.

Good job on posting that petition though. I honestly can't believe this is even a topic for debate.
    yeah i agree with this guy.
    Everyone on here seems to be a little too serious about this thread. everyone is like a snowflake and we all have opinions. people have different personalities and some like to joke around to lighten up the mood. we must be careful of the know it alls on here, and the people who loves to correct others. other then that..
    i hope we get some sort of incite from these people going in today, hopefully they will say something.
    alot of US tend to keep things to our selves, and the last thing we need to hear is " let everyone wait till they go for their appointment date"
    lets not turn this exam into one giant secret

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    If its actually 3,500 hired you arent even being optimistic enough since they'd probably have to go though at least 10,000 list numbers to reach that many hires. But yeah 3,500 seems like A LOT. I'd love it to be true, means that you could probably get a score in the 80's and still have a chance at getting hired.

The more i think about it though the more that number makes sense for the follow reasons:

- They have only hired ~ 280 new firefighters since 2007
    - The attrition rate of retiring FF's is about 400-500 a year
    - And that rate is bound to go up in the next 4 years since many guys have just been clocking a couple extra years with all the OT thats flowing now (def not saying thats the only reason but might be a factor).
    - They are already understaffed by over a 1000 and that number will balloon if and when they get the 5th man back.
    - The economy recovering will help keep firehouses off the chopping block and enable the city to afford to hire.
    - And most importantly, I feel that this list being as diverse as it is, I think that there will be a lot of pressure to hire as much as possible off it. The higher they get in the list the more the percentages will even out and reflect who sat for the exam. (not saying one group will do better than the other)
    We also must take into consideration that they will most likley hire people with squeaky clean records. If they have a pool of 41,000 listers with all different type of minorites i think they will get rid of people real quick.
    for example, lets say list number 1 had a spitting in public, or urinating in public summons ( a simple misdemeanor ) he will probably not be hired. they will get real strict with this so people like me who have a history of one disorderly conduct when i was like 15, wrong place wrong time, would probably kiss this job good bye.
    i wouldn't blame them if this is what they do. integrity goes a long way. so to those of you who lived squeaky clean lives, never got into a fight, never got a moving violation, WALK ON EGG SHELLS!
    to people like me who have a past of one silly misdemeanor, lets home this is not the case.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    I keep hearing people say that the test was easy. This makes me nervous, because in retrospect I don't remember it being that easy. However I also remember being relieved while taking it and felt I was doing good at the time.
    a little word of advice from taking many tests. people who said it was easy, although have more of a positive attitude, usually do a little worse because of this mind frame that the test was easy.
    people like you may have thought this exam was difficult and read everything word for word and triple checked all answers.
    laid back and confident isnt always the ideal way to be sometimes.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bensonhurstlovesme View Post
    We also must take into consideration that they will most likley hire people with squeaky clean records. If they have a pool of 41,000 listers with all different type of minorites i think they will get rid of people real quick.
    for example, lets say list number 1 had a spitting in public, or urinating in public summons ( a simple misdemeanor ) he will probably not be hired. they will get real strict with this so people like me who have a history of one disorderly conduct when i was like 15, wrong place wrong time, would probably kiss this job good bye.
    i wouldn't blame them if this is what they do. integrity goes a long way. so to those of you who lived squeaky clean lives, never got into a fight, never got a moving violation, WALK ON EGG SHELLS!
    to people like me who have a past of one silly misdemeanor, lets home this is not the case.
    I don't think ANYONE on this list is perfect. everyone has a past, everyone has associated with less then upstanding members of society. I don't know how serious the background check is, beyond checking with references, doing a driving history, legal background check and what not..but it is what it is..that 1 guy with a squeaky clean record might not score as high as you..and might not pass the CPAT..don't dwell on it..if it is meant to be it will be.
    Skavenger85 and CSRNYC like this.

Forum Member

i triple checked all my answers with the extra time and for some reason still think i may have f'd up. i even double check the residency question and now iam not 100 percent positive i checked yes.

Forum Member

You guys and gals can talk about anything you want on here, it's a free country, but people do read this stuff. We need to realize our forum is not just open to fellow applicants but rather everyone can see this. That includes guys on the job, media, and maybe even a certain judge we don't particularly care for. It may be a long shot but you never know who is out there and I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Think about Merit Matters and how they carry themselves as a whole. It's a very well run organization that doesn't resort to name calling or insults; instead they state facts and invite their opposition to debate the issues openly. Whether we realize it or not, they're doing a great deal to help us applicants out, so the least we can do is follow along with the great example they are setting.

Now lets try to get this thread going in the right direction. What's in your past is done, no amount of worrying about it will change anything you did or did not do. So let's say you go into your review appointment and you come out feeling great. What are you doing to stay in shape for the CPAT? I'm doing your standard running and full-body weight training, but I'm interested to hear if anyone is doing any workouts specific to the CPAT yet.

Just finished my review, I 12 partial credit on the personality Q's and 6 wrong on videos and reading comp all together.

Forum Member

So they're officially letting us review the personality section, just like last time. Interesting...

Just finished my review, I got 12 partial credit on the personality Q's and 6 wrong on videos and reading comp all together.
    Last edited by Skavenger85; 05-11-2012 at 05:39 PM.

Thread Information