Like Tree12551Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

  1. #27726
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    766

    Default

    Spider. How's life post academy treating you?

  2. #27727
    Forum Member
    Spiderneck30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    419

    Default

    For guys out of the academy don't forget...we still have to do the stair master again at the end of probation. For some reason, alot of probies i work with and bump into dont seem to know that. Guys are throwing away and selling their weight vest. Imo, the weighted stepmill is the best cardio you can do for this job. It's much more job specific than running. I do 15 minutes with the vest on 3 times a week. And every time I throw on my SCBA the day after it feels like I'm not even wearing anything. I'm an engine guy and there are alot of High Rise MD's in my area with busted elevators; which means multiple flights of stairs with a roll up. And since I'm in a double house, every once in a while I work in the Truck and find myself walking up 6 flights with a hook, mask and can, which is even worse.

    My total stepmill time is 30 minutes. I do 15 minutes with the vest on to simulate "getting there". Then i immediately follow it up with another 15 minutes without the vest to simulate continuing to work AFTER "getting there". Do not abandon the stepmill

  3. #27728
    Forum Member
    Spiderneck30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    419

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4040clubBouncer View Post
    Spider. How's life post academy treating you?
    Loving every tour man. It gets better and better.

  4. #27729
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    766

    Default

    psych 2/21 see you all there... don't forget your pencils
    IpissonFIRES and Grown Simba like this.

  5. #27730
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    723

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderneck30 View Post
    Loving every tour man. It gets better and better.
    Wait till you get off probation, still do all the work, but it's a big relief getting off.
    IpissonFIRES likes this.

  6. #27731
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    73

    Default

    50lb vest or 75?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderneck30 View Post
    Loving every tour man. It gets better and better.

  7. #27732
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderneck30 View Post
    For guys out of the academy don't forget...we still have to do the stair master again at the end of probation. For some reason, alot of probies i work with and bump into dont seem to know that. Guys are throwing away and selling their weight vest. Imo, the weighted stepmill is the best cardio you can do for this job. It's much more job specific than running. I do 15 minutes with the vest on 3 times a week. And every time I throw on my SCBA the day after it feels like I'm not even wearing anything. I'm an engine guy and there are alot of High Rise MD's in my area with busted elevators; which means multiple flights of stairs with a roll up. And since I'm in a double house, every once in a while I work in the Truck and find myself walking up 6 flights with a hook, mask and can, which is even worse.

    My total stepmill time is 30 minutes. I do 15 minutes with the vest on to simulate "getting there". Then i immediately follow it up with another 15 minutes without the vest to simulate continuing to work AFTER "getting there". Do not abandon the stepmill
    How many SPM are you setting it at spider ? Also, what weight is your vest ?

    I'm at 22 mins total time right now on the step mill, 4-5 times a week. 15 mins without vest i can do no problem, with vest im working my way up week by week. Hopefully i can get to 15 mins with vest.

  8. #27733
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    63

    Default

    I got medical 2/19, I'm 26##

  9. #27734
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    52

    Default

    How often do they do the medicals? Been seeing people with the same date. They test lots of people at once?

  10. #27735
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderneck30 View Post
    Loving every tour man. It gets better and better.
    Especially when you are dozing for dollars....the best!!

  11. #27736
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    395

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderneck30 View Post
    For guys out of the academy don't forget...we still have to do the stair master again at the end of probation. For some reason, alot of probies i work with and bump into dont seem to know that. Guys are throwing away and selling their weight vest. Imo, the weighted stepmill is the best cardio you can do for this job. It's much more job specific than running. I do 15 minutes with the vest on 3 times a week. And every time I throw on my SCBA the day after it feels like I'm not even wearing anything. I'm an engine guy and there are alot of High Rise MD's in my area with busted elevators; which means multiple flights of stairs with a roll up. And since I'm in a double house, every once in a while I work in the Truck and find myself walking up 6 flights with a hook, mask and can, which is even worse.

    My total stepmill time is 30 minutes. I do 15 minutes with the vest on to simulate "getting there". Then i immediately follow it up with another 15 minutes without the vest to simulate continuing to work AFTER "getting there". Do not abandon the stepmill
    So all 30 mins without touching the railing with a vest?
    4040clubBouncer likes this.

  12. #27737
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    235

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EKFCASPER View Post
    So all 30 mins without touching the railing with a vest?
    No 15 mins with vest and 15 mins without vest. Which is actually what a lot of good strength and conditioning coaches say to do. Simulating work environment is great.

  13. #27738
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EKFCASPER View Post
    So all 30 mins without touching the railing with a vest?
    I think he means 15 mins with vest, 15 without and i would assume hes not touching the railing.

    30 consecutive mins with the vest sounds insane.
    BreakingBad0904 likes this.

  14. #27739
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matador611 View Post
    No 15 mins with vest and 15 mins without vest. Which is actually what a lot of good strength and conditioning coaches say to do. Simulating work environment is great.
    LoL ... i was typing while you posted.
    Matador611 likes this.

  15. #27740
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    37

    Default

    do you start your 15min without the vest or with the vest? I'm going to try this. 3 times a week

  16. #27741
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    766

    Default

    Yo so even if your heart rate goes over by one beat around minute three and then it goes back down you fail?

  17. #27742
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4040clubBouncer View Post
    Yo so even if your heart rate goes over by one beat around minute three and then it goes back down you fail?
    They check it once your time is up. That's when you'll know.
    4040clubBouncer likes this.

  18. #27743
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,372

    Default

    Spider you using the 50 or 75 for that 15

  19. #27744
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Any info would be appreciated, please pm I am deployed and don't get on here too often.

    I started the process in May, July I had to take myself off the list due to military. I will be off orders mid June how long is the process to reinstate. Do I have to redo everything in 1700s so would have went in this last class. Doubt I can make July.

  20. #27745
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    766

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hotchi11 View Post
    They check it once your time is up. That's when you'll know.
    Ok cool. Because I was testing myself. And my big feet tripped me up and for like 5 seconds I was about my threshold by two beats. I calmed myself down and started breathing slowly and completed the 5:12 under the limit. So that's a passing attempt? I get frustrated by my lack of room on those stair master steps

  21. #27746
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    100

    Default

    for the heartbeat calculations for medical, is it (220-age) times 0.9? tested myself on that formula and passed but don't know if that is the correct one...

  22. #27747
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4040clubBouncer View Post
    Ok cool. Because I was testing myself. And my big feet tripped me up and for like 5 seconds I was about my threshold by two beats. I calmed myself down and started breathing slowly and completed the 5:12 under the limit. So that's a passing attempt? I get frustrated by my lack of room on those stair master steps
    With you here on this ... steps are tiny. Frequently stub my toe on the step mill.

    Is it literally impossible to pass the stair master on the 1st try ?
    fndyoneday likes this.

  23. #27748
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Is this the formula for heart rate. Below (220-age) multiplied by .9 ? I've measured myself a few times doing the test of three minutes no vest, five minute break and then 5:12 w/ the 50lb vest and my hr was 160-164 range. I'm thirty years old so feeling pretty good about these results.

  24. #27749
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    48

    Default

    Hey guys, were would I go to get court dispositions? 100 centre st??

  25. #27750
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Team2strong View Post
    Hey guys, were would I go to get court dispositions? 100 centre st??
    I think you have to go to the county where you were arrested.
    Team2strong likes this.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 7 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 6 guests)

  1. F1R3DNY_Alphabet_City

Similar Threads

  1. No Firefighter Should Ever Die Again
    By blancety in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 281
    Last Post: 02-09-2015, 01:28 AM
  2. FDNY Medical Exam
    By FDNY78 in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-30-2015, 05:26 AM
  3. Remember The Brothers 9-11-01
    By E40FDNYL35 in forum The 9-11 Tragedy
    Replies: 133
    Last Post: 09-29-2014, 05:52 AM
  4. Fdny exam
    By ffkisselstein in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 01:43 PM
  5. Firefighters Betrayed
    By Nail200 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 259
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 04:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register