Like Tree13249Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dwm326 View Post
    Manhattan Medic or FDsouthbxNY,

What are the reasons, that you gentlemen know of, that the academy was lengthened from 13 weeks to 18 weeks?
    Just to add to what (that johnny ) MM said:

He's right about it having been 6 months at one point (i know....i was there). That was indeed too long, BUT the biggest reason for the extended academy is an increase in our responsibilities. We carry more equipment than ever before and we respond to an ever expanding array of emergencies and there is training to go with them. Haz-Mat has become a bigger teachable topic as has building construction, Building Inspection, ect....
    Matador611 and GrownSimba like this.

Forum Member

19 at medical today...4 passed...3 no shows. Was kind of annoyed at first because I was on the stairmill about 4 days a week. I would do 10-12 minutes on the stairmill with a 50lb vest and then do the actual medical plus more. Never went above my max, but today of course I just missed the mark...smh...scheduled to knock my 8 minutes out on Monday (I wanted it done asap). Also, watch your weight fellas. Good luck again guys.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nyscourts2fdny View Post
    19 at medical today...4 passed...3 no shows. Was kind of annoyed at first because I was on the stairmill about 4 days a week. I would do 10-12 minutes on the stairmill with a 50lb vest and then do the actual medical plus more. Never went above my max, but today of course I just missed the mark...smh...scheduled to knock my 8 minutes out on Monday (I wanted it done asap). Also, watch your weight fellas. Good luck again guys.
    Nice. Go get it on Monday man. No sweat.

And for weight they using BMI? Not overweight but my BMI is on the higher side. Just curious. Thanks for sharing

Forum Member

I did see BMI on the vitals sheet, didn't pay to much attention to it though. Don't know if it's strictly enforced. I am on the high side, 5'5'' 167lbs muscular build. A couple guys have to Lose 20-30 pounds within a month. Even heard of a guy having to lose 60lbs. To be honest, everything was a piece of cake. Just can't preach having the proper breathing technique enough, mine sucked.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nyscourts2fdny View Post
    I did see BMI on the vitals sheet, didn't pay to much attention to it though. Don't know if it's strictly enforced. I am on the high side, 5'5'' 167lbs muscular build. A couple guys have to Lose 20-30 pounds within a month. Even heard of a guy having to lose 60lbs. To be honest, everything was a piece of cake. Just can't preach having the proper breathing technique enough, mine sucked.
    Wait what? I didnt know about this. Your BMI has to be under a certain percent? Im not overweight at all, just curious. What do you mean they have to lose weight? They told them to or these guys decided they need to lose that much.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by I****onFIRES View Post
    Wait what? I didnt know about this. Your BMI has to be under a certain percent? Im not overweight at all, just curious. What do you mean they have to lose weight? They told them to or these guys decided they need to lose that much.
    It's based on height . I'm 6 1" so I think theMax weight was 213 give or take a few pounds. They don't Care if u look like Tarzan .btw I responded. To u by pm .

Forum Member

6 Down 12 More Weeks To go.. I Can't Lie Time Is Flying..... Stay Strong brothers!!
    IpissonFIRES and Matador611 like this.

Forum Member

I just took a look at that medical disclosure sheet from BHS. From birth until age 14, I had a speech impediment. Therapy got me over it. Should I check yes to that box to be honest since I talk fine now, or just ignore it since there's no way of them knowing?

Also, I remember someone saying to say no to seasonal allergies because they make you take a different lung test or something and scrutinize you a little more. Is that accurate?

Sorry, this is a stupid question. Just overthinking.

Forum Member

From what I understand. This is the sheet they use. Also, I was told that as long as you are under the 20% weight for your height your ok. I have my Medical on the 19th so i'lll let you guys know what they tell me. I'm 6', 212lbs

Name:  chart  .JPG
Views: 521
Size:  38.3 KB

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by I****onFIRES View Post
    They were told.
    IpissonFIRES likes this.

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by k20dc2 View Post
    have u gone through the process . Because I can link u with about 10 guys who are fighting appeals for dqd at this very moment . The comment was simple any issues medically and Ur chances have sunk drastically . It's not a 100 percent dq . So I don't get Ur sarcastic remark .Ur the same pos who got loud behind the screen last time I told 4040 to stop giving bad advice . Yet he is now here on the forum asking questions left and right . And the whole time here he was giving people advice . Common bro . Ur a tool . Go through the process and Ull see . What I'm talking about . Ull thank me later .
    Been through it once already chief! Going through it AGAIN as we speak, Kinda of easier this time, i already had all my paper work ext saved from 6019 . maybe 2nd time will be the charm cowboy... the advice and information here is great. the way you talk with 100% certainty is comical. Im 100% a tool, and POS... I'm curious but don't care to read you response, You from LI or daddy a fireman?

Sorry to the rest of the people reading this. Good luck with medicals!!

Forum Member

i think its been posted before, can some one tell me how long the breathing part it? is it 5 seconds breathing into the device? Remember that being a pain in the *** need to practice a little.. Thanks in advance!!

Forum Member

Is it true if your systolic BP goes over 120 that it can fail you ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bkopie View Post
    I just took a look at that medical disclosure sheet from BHS. From birth until age 14, I had a speech impediment. Therapy got me over it. Should I check yes to that box to be honest since I talk fine now, or just ignore it since there's no way of them knowing?

Also, I remember someone saying to say no to seasonal allergies because they make you take a different lung test or something and scrutinize you a little more. Is that accurate?

Sorry, this is a stupid question. Just overthinking.
    Mention it . It's not a big deal . Allergies don't k ow what that is . Cough cough
    bkopie likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RDiesel View Post
    Is it true if your systolic BP goes over 120 that it can fail you ?
    No . But if u want to bring it down . The morning before Ur test take a ginger tea with honey . I'll drop Ur blood pressure for a few hrs
    Matador611 likes this.

Forum Member

8 long seconds...lol

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDTech View Post
    6 Down 12 More Weeks To go.. I Can't Lie Time Is Flying..... Stay Strong brothers!!
    Yeah buddy!!! Time is flying and I'm loving every minute of it! I can see why people say that you'll miss it when you get out.

Forum Member

This form has be a great help along the way guys really appreciate it. Had one Question I went through the Medical everything went fine. About 2 days after I received a call from BHS asking for a CAT scan of my knee that I fractured. Should I be worried about this? Or is it Just routine ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by loconights View Post
    From what I understand. This is the sheet they use. Also, I was told that as long as you are under the 20% weight for your height your ok. I have my Medical on the 19th so i'lll let you guys know what they tell me. I'm 6', 212lbs

Attachment 23775
    Can you explain the 20% of your weight portion?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by VooDoo View Post
    This form has be a great help along the way guys really appreciate it. Had one Question I went through the Medical everything went fine. About 2 days after I received a call from BHS asking for a CAT scan of my knee that I fractured. Should I be worried about this? Or is it Just routine ?
    This is a perfect question for people who ask being getting held up for something during the medical.

I'm assuming they want to be sure that it healed correctly. i hope it all works out for you.
    bklynmike91 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by k20dc2 View Post
    It's based on height . I'm 6 1" so I think theMax weight was 213 give or take a few pounds. They don't Care if u look like Tarzan .btw I responded. To u by pm .
    Do they account for sex appeal?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    Do they account for sex appeal?
    Not till probie school. They make you try on gear at quartermaster

Forum Member

I'm 6'2 250 lbs when I did my medical.. they didn't tell me anything about loosing weight.. Maybe Cus they saw I was rediculously manly 8-)

Forum Member

Do some firefighters take roids? I just seen a few of them and damn these dudes we're hugeee! I've heard that some do take it, don't they test u for that crap? Just curious

Forum Member

I don't think they test for roids, just drugs. Why, do you need roids to pass? If you need roids to pass, then that means you might not have the drive to do it without.

Thread Information