Like Tree12929Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Medical today, 21 showed, 4 no shows, 3 people passed stairs first try. All list numbers were in 2700s. keep training fellas!
    fdny exam 2000 likes this.

Forum Member

So that means that they have already got up 700-750 list numbers for medical as of today ? Sounds good!

Forum Member

sup guys, just received my lab result back " as part of your fitness exam, your blood work was reviewed by our fdny physicians and the results were found to be within acceptable limits" it came with a copy of my blood work results which idk how to read but yea keep a look out for the lab results. i took my medical 2/12/2015 sitting at 256*.

4040bouncer- I'm gonna try the coffee drink u said...
    4040clubBouncer likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fdny exam 2000 View Post
    hey guys whats up? Im training right now 5 times week for the acamedy. Do you think its a good idea to start drinking protein shakes in the morning as a breakfast? im not trying to gain weight but i am trying to lose it but also in the process not lose my muscle mass. I never used it before but everybody always tells me to take protein if im working out that much. What you guys think?
    A scoop of protein a day isn't going to make you gain weight. You'd need to be getting around 1.5g of protein per lb of body weight while lifting to start gaining mass while lifting. Of course if you're lifting you should have a high protein diet, as someone else mentioned protein acts as the building blocks that rebuild muscle. Think of it as bricks when building a house; you can't build a brick house without bricks, no matter how many workers you have on hand. But a scoop of protein in the morning isn't much different than a couple glasses of skim milk or a grilled chicken breast; it's lean and healthy but it isn't gonna turn you into Arnold.

Honestly, if anyone tells you to cut protein out of your diet for the academy they have no idea what they're talking about.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    The guys at:
    E58/L26
    E35/L14
    E37/L40
    Might disagree with you
    Oh damn, totally forgot about the 11th and 12th battalions. Whoops. Understandably 35/14 is a different world from 8/2.
    FDsouthbxNY likes this.

Forum Member

Anyone in the 2800's with a medical date scheduled?

I'm assumin they'll just get all the 100s psych done by April.
    bklynmike91 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 4040clubBouncer View Post
    Anyone in the 2800's with a medical date scheduled?

I'm assumin they'll just get all the 100s psych done by April.
    I'm hopeful this is the case, but i think the safer bet is that us in the latter half of 100's will finish getting processed in the summer, after the new class goes in.

If people in the 29XX start getting medical dates now, that will be the sign if they are waiting till after the june class, or are just going to finish the 100's off and keep it moving.

29XX have very little chance of getting in to this summer class IMHO.
    bklynmike91 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fdny exam 2000 View Post

4040bouncer- I'm gonna try the coffee drink u said...
    yea its good. and packs enough of a punch to support a decent early AM workout or mid day snack

https://twitter.com/hukitchen/status/514379457579450369
    fdny exam 2000 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gomer Pyle View Post
    I'm hopeful this is the case, but i think the safer bet is that us in the latter half of 100's will finish getting processed in the summer, after the new class goes in.

If people in the 29XX start getting medical dates now, that will be the sign if they are waiting till after the june class, or are just going to finish the 100's off and keep it moving.

29XX have very little chance of getting in to this summer class IMHO.
    Seems like a solid prediction. That window for hearing they sent out more medical dates is gonna start closing real fast now. After the psychs are finished, they either will.... Or they won't...
    (Really hoping they finish up you 100s before summer.)

Fdny exam 2000:
    I started taking an anabolic mass gainer (protein shake) to pack on muscle while still doing a lot of cardio and High Intensity Training, and the stuff is way better than I would've thought. Gained 10-12 lbs in 4 weeks. I don't substitute meals though, and I drink the shakes at night time. I'd give it a shot, see how it works, BPI makes a good product,

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BD1017 View Post

Fdny exam 2000:
    I started taking an anabolic mass gainer (protein shake) to pack on muscle while still doing a lot of cardio and High Intensity Training, and the stuff is way better than I would've thought. Gained 10-12 lbs in 4 weeks. I don't substitute meals though, and I drink the shakes at night time. I'd give it a shot, see how it works, BPI makes a good product,
    The problem with gainers is that the gains you're making are mostly fat. Probably around 15-20% gains are muscle mass. If you feel you need to gain weight because you are under weight than gainers can be useful, but for the majority people looking to get lean mass gains, they are a waste.

People always ask "What can I do to bulk up?" and the simple answer is to lift on a regimen and incorporate a high protein diet. More calories won't add to your muscle gains and will only pack on fat, which most people wouldn't want as it typically just goes to the belly for most men. The majority of people can't naturally pack on 10-12lbs of muscle in a year let alone in a month, that's why gainers are really a waste to me. If you're looking to gain fat for some reason though they do work.

Forum Member

Unless it looks like you're dying you'll still pass.... my heart rate reached 200 as well after my 8 minutes and they said OK good, you pass....

QUOTE=TB_FDNY;1432588]Hey guys I did the stairs today with a 55lb vest for 8:30 which is my longest time yet. I have one concern tho, my heart rate reached a maximum of 204. Is that going to be a problem when it comes to medical? I didn't feel like I was dying towards end nor was it very difficult to breathe...what can I do to decrease my max Heart rate? I am 25 y/o so I know my HR can't pass 175bpm[/QUOTE]
    bklynmike91 likes this.

Forum Member

Who using BCAAs? And creatine?

Yo the DIs at the rock hate monster energy drinks. Lol

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Majority View Post
    The problem with gainers is that the gains you're making are mostly fat. Probably around 15-20% gains are muscle mass. If you feel you need to gain weight because you are under weight than gainers can be useful, but for the majority people looking to get lean mass gains, they are a waste.

People always ask "What can I do to bulk up?" and the simple answer is to lift on a regimen and incorporate a high protein diet. More calories won't add to your muscle gains and will only pack on fat, which most people wouldn't want as it typically just goes to the belly for most men. The majority of people can't naturally pack on 10-12lbs of muscle in a year let alone in a month, that's why gainers are really a waste to me. If you're looking to gain fat for some reason though they do work.
    I strongly disagree. True Mass weight gainer has worked quite well for me. I have gained 25 lbs. since June 2014. Fat gain has been minimal while strength and muscle mass gains have been exceptional. It's not all because of the weight gainer--as you said, a progressive lifting regimen is important--but once-daily supplementation has contributed to post-workout recovery and maintaining the caloric surplus necessary for mass gains. I'd say listen to your body: If you need some extra mass in order to increase your absolute strength, try supplementing with a weight gainer. If fat gain becomes a problem, phase it out and go for something with fewer calories, or increase your weekly caloric expenditure (by doing more running).

Forum Member

I eat some creatine after each workout, for a total of approx. 5 teaspoons per week.
    Had to phase it out in order to pass the medical, but now I'm back on it.
    Can't stomach the energy drinks--too much caffeine. I stick to water and beer...
    fndyoneday likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by quietharvest1 View Post
    I eat some creatine after each workout, for a total of approx. 5 teaspoons per week.
    Had to phase it out in order to pass the medical, but now I'm back on it.
    Can't stomach the energy drinks--too much caffeine. I stick to water and beer...
    Can't really do the energy drinks or pre workout supps. I tried C4 for about a week and would leave my house in the morning with my right eye twitching and would randomly start sweating at work for no reason lol. Not sure what's in that crap but it's crack

Forum Member

http://youtu.be/QN5iucMGbDo

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fndyoneday View Post
    "Shane is a monster"
    "Ripped fuel. Nonsense"

Just a few choice quotes in that video
    bklynmike91 and terminatornyc like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Modest_MaL View Post
    Medical today, 21 showed, 4 no shows, 3 people passed stairs first try. All list numbers were in 2700s. keep training fellas!
    2700s. It seems so close, yet so far from 46xx where I'm at...
    BD1017 likes this.

Forum Member

Is there any possibility that they may not call all the candidates that have the same score before the list ends? Specifically, the 99s, which there are about 1200 of? Doesn't seem fair if that could be the case...

Forum Member

In reply to the fitness / weight loss / mass gain comments on this page and a few prior;

I am by no means a fitness expert; just wanted to share my recent work out experiences in preparation for the medical stairmaster.
    2 weeks ago (due to current employment and no time to work out) I was a bit out of shape and stored more fat on me than I would like.
    First attempt at the stairmaster wearing a 75lb vest, my heart rate was like 188 after 5 minuts. - a grueling 5 minuts due to my lazy lifestyle.
    After the night of my 1st stairmaster attempt I put myself on a diet, and decided to hit the gym every morning before work.

Diet included:
    Drink: Water - all the time no cheating and no substitutions.
    * Breakfast - 1/4 bowl of regular oatmeal, multi vitamin, citrus pill, cinamon pill.
    ** Protein shake right after my gym workout.
    * Lunch: 1 Apple, 1 5oz container of fat free yogurt and a protein bar.
    * Dinner: Steamed broccoli and 1 piece of grilled chicken. 1/2 shot of raw apple cider vinegar.

Work out included:
    Morning:
    * Hit the gym and walk on the stairmaster 3 minuts no vest.
    * Put on wight vest (75 lbs) and walk till my legs turned to jello. - at first 5 minuts was a nightmare for me; but I pushed through.
    * Full body Free weights; light weight (25lbs) high reps (till i couldnt do any more) 3 sets each - chest, bys, tri's, squats, calf's (you get it - full body) - 30 second rest in between sets and muscle change.
    * Back on the stairmaster no vest for 8 minuts.

Evening:
    35lb kettle bell. full body kettle bell workout and finishing with swinging it between my legs and up to my face level as many times as I can until I couldnt take any more (did the swing 3 sets to max exaustion)

Ive done this every day for 2 weeks. It sucked at first; but after the 1st week it wasnt bad at all and I actually looked forward to my workouts.
    I havent had a food craving not once.
    I lost 14lbs to date (2 weeks) and have increased my strength significantly.
    My heart rate after 5 minuts on the stairmaster with a 75Lb vest is right around 160.

My goal is to pass the stairmaster heart rate on the 1st shot - hope ive worked hard enough.
    Just wanted to share this; getting your heart rate down; losing fat and getting stronger can be a real short term goal if you apply a bit of dicipline.
    Hopefully the day of the medical my heart rate will be even lower due to only wearing 50lbs.. if i fail - 8 mins will be a breez with only 50 lbs on.
    Good luck everyone.
    Last edited by Geschaefer; 02-25-2015 at 12:21 PM.
    fndyoneday and GrownSimba like this.

Forum Member

Good post gesc and good luck on the medical!

I'm a pretty slim and over the summer I was hitting the crossfit box hard, usually 5 days a week. I lost like 10-15 pounds unintentionally and was told about "healthy carbs" like sweet potatoes.

Whenever I do a heavy cardio workout (almost eevery workout since training for the academy) I eat sweet potatoes. Tons of nutrients !

Forum Member

Do they check body fat at the medical ??

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigShawn718 View Post
    Do they check body fat at the medical ??
    No but they will if you need to lose weight based on your height for sure. Someone posted the chart, I would aim to be at those number to avoid disappointment. I was stressing it because according to the chart I was 4-6 lbs overweight for my height. I made sure I showed up to medical at the right weight. I was actually 1 lb over lol. No one wants to have to go back to bhs in 30 days later and expect to have lost weight.

Forum Member

I hope your not talking about the standard BMI chart that's at the regular doctors office ... Because that thing says I should b almost 80 lbs lighter

Forum Member

K
    Quote Originally Posted by BigShawn718 View Post
    I hope your not talking about the standard BMI chart that's at the regular doctors office ... Because that thing says I should b almost 80 lbs lighter
    im not sure which chart they use. But They take your vitals they do weight and height. By the end of the day you see a doctor and I'm sure he will tell you if you need to lose weight. I would say if you know it be prepared to hear it from
    Them, I've seen them tell a guy who was bigger and obviously heavier due to muscle to lose weight

Thread Information