Like Tree12940Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

hey, if anyone was on the cusp of the last class, and already handed in the FAP medical clearance form, check with David Lin. I asked him if he still had mine on file from last time, and he said that I was good to go. Just so you don't have to go to the doctor again
    terminatornyc likes this.

Forum Member

Went to BHS today to see the DR about a surgery I had. I'm cleared.
    About the weight thing...
    If they tell you to lose weight then oh well do it. they give you 30 days but you don't have to lose all of the weight, come in b4 the 30 days show them that you have lost some weight and then they will give you more time again. They just want to see improvement. Some people look like they are 20-30 lbs overweight, good luck losing that in a month

Forum Member

Hey Guys,

Any Predictions or confirmations of when the runs will be in June?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fndyoneday View Post
    Good post gesc and good luck on the medical!

I'm a pretty slim and over the summer I was hitting the crossfit box hard, usually 5 days a week. I lost like 10-15 pounds unintentionally and was told about "healthy carbs" like sweet potatoes.

Whenever I do a heavy cardio workout (almost eevery workout since training for the academy) I eat sweet potatoes. Tons of nutrients !
    What box you at? Good to see another cross fitter on here
    fndyoneday likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Duece View Post
    Hey Guys,

Any Predictions or confirmations of when the runs will be in June?

The days in June pretty much line up with last December. So use those previous run dates and an indicator. Obviously things could shift since they have no holidays to schedule around. But still. Expect two the first week. Two the second week. One the last week and then an orientation. With one final final run likely a few days before the academy.

Forum Member

Good post gesc and good luck on the medical!

I'm a pretty slim and over the summer I was hitting the crossfit box hard, usually 5 days a week. I lost like 10-15 pounds unintentionally and was told about "healthy carbs" like sweet potatoes.

Whenever I do a heavy cardio workout (almost eevery workout since training for the academy) I eat sweet potatoes. Tons of nutrients !
    If you're putting in the work regular potatoes aren't bad for you either. My understanding is that they get a bad rap because people eat too much carbs compared to the amount of work they do and because the most popular preparations of them are unhealthy.

What I can't figure out is how anybody maintains a ketogenic diet for more than a few days, never mind the guys running marathons on keto.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 4040clubBouncer View Post
    What box you at? Good to see another cross fitter on here
    I was at crossfitnyc for a year then to crossfit virtuosity in Brooklyn for a while. Had to stop going because i had to cut out some expenses. will start up again in April until hopefully getting that run letter.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    If you're putting in the work regular potatoes aren't bad for you either. My understanding is that they get a bad rap because people eat too much carbs compared to the amount of work they do and because the most popular preparations of them are unhealthy.

What I can't figure out is how anybody maintains a ketogenic diet for more than a few days, never mind the guys running marathons on keto.
    The Keto diet is the complete opposite of any diet I ever tried lol

Forum Member

nice Geschaefer. Sounds very similar to my cutting phase workout. something called Meyerjack circuit training (no rest betwen sets or muscle change though) along with the stairmaster with weights, good full body workout to get your heart pumping while keeping your strengths from your bulking phase. First couple weeks sucks but once you get used to it, you'll feel weird as to why youre not working out on your rest days haha. I'm on the slim side *in my eyes* (6'0 170lbs) so I cant afford to lose any mass/strength and trust me that workout you're doing is great for sustaining strength while training your heart. As far as diet, I try to eat the clean essentials but eat LOTS of it just to keep/gain weight. Will try that kettle ball workout in the evenings though working out late doesnt allow me to sleep. then i'll be on here all night refreshing the page looking for ways to kill my anxiety lol but anyways thanks for the post, its good for everyone. good luck to you as well buddy
    Last edited by GrownSimba; 02-25-2015 at 03:55 PM.
    bkopie likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigShawn718 View Post
    Do they check body fat at the medical ??
    They dont do it correctly but if you look on the chart they did have a BMI number written down. I think its a guesstimate.

Forum Member

Hey to the guys who've already gone through the academy, how many weeks prior did you receive your run letter? And when you're going to get your uniforms & materials, do you get everything the same day? & also is that during a weekday, meaning you have to take a day off from work? I'm supposed to be going on military leave from May 2 - May 22, I really hope nothing get's screwed up.

Forum Member

Anyone familiar with the number they're up to for the CPAT?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nptks View Post
    3300s +/- 100
    nptks likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BklynFDNY89 View Post
    Hey to the guys who've already gone through the academy, how many weeks prior did you receive your run letter? And when you're going to get your uniforms & materials, do you get everything the same day? & also is that during a weekday, meaning you have to take a day off from work? I'm supposed to be going on military leave from May 2 - May 22, I really hope nothing get's screwed up.
    I have not been through the academy yet, but all the information you seek is in this thread. A few classes worth of info if you look back at the pages. Run letters go out like 3 weeks to a month before the academy. The date for this next class seems to be June 25th ishhh ... so I'd estimate run letters will start going out last week of May, first week of June. There are a few run dates to fill a class. They usually go out either on Friday's or Mondays at about 5 pm to 6 pm. You'll see this thread BLOW UP around that time with good news, dudes crying and shhhh ... If you don't receive it in the first wave, maybe it will come in the 2nd or 3rd go around. If it doesnt come that means there is something up with your intake paperwork. There is also one last run like 2 -3 days before the academy start date to fill those last few spots ( No shows, people who fail the run etc )

I'm not sure what list # you are, but anyone in the 1950 to 2800 range should be locked and loaded for the Summer class.

I believe there is a day where you get sworn in and fill out all your benefits paperwork etc so you're basically HIRED, and another day where you receive all your textbooks and materials and visit QUARTERMASTER at Fort Totten in Whitestone / Bayside.

I would suggest keeping up with your investigator prior to your leave and make sure you handed everything in on your end so you atleast know a document won't hold you up. They won't tell you you're good to go, but at least you'll have that piece of mind that you did everything you had to do. As far as the run, we will know more as the time gets nearer, but I think you will be back from leave before runs take place.

Nothing is for sure till you get that run letter.

Quote Originally Posted by nptks View Post
    Everyone who scored 100 on the exam has been contacted for CPAT and either passed or failed. Look at the exam list on google search for reference. We 100's are now doing intake, Medical and Psych. The 99's are next. I believe they will be contacted in the Fall for CPAT practice at The Rock, but it may be sooner. 99's will definitely be contacted this year though to begin their CPAT.
    Last edited by Gomer Pyle; 02-26-2015 at 10:05 AM.

Forum Member

Has anyone had their FAP medical form signed at an urgent care clinic? I was wondering how much the clinic is charging for the service. I tried contacting one of the free clinics that were mentioned a couple weeks back. They claimed that they don't provide such service.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Geschaefer View Post
    In reply to the fitness / weight loss / mass gain comments on this page and a few prior;

I am by no means a fitness expert; just wanted to share my recent work out experiences in preparation for the medical stairmaster.
    2 weeks ago (due to current employment and no time to work out) I was a bit out of shape and stored more fat on me than I would like.
    First attempt at the stairmaster wearing a 75lb vest, my heart rate was like 188 after 5 minuts. - a grueling 5 minuts due to my lazy lifestyle.
    After the night of my 1st stairmaster attempt I put myself on a diet, and decided to hit the gym every morning before work.

Diet included:
    Drink: Water - all the time no cheating and no substitutions.
    * Breakfast - 1/4 bowl of regular oatmeal, multi vitamin, citrus pill, cinamon pill.
    ** Protein shake right after my gym workout.
    * Lunch: 1 Apple, 1 5oz container of fat free yogurt and a protein bar.
    * Dinner: Steamed broccoli and 1 piece of grilled chicken. 1/2 shot of raw apple cider vinegar.

Work out included:
    Morning:
    * Hit the gym and walk on the stairmaster 3 minuts no vest.
    * Put on wight vest (75 lbs) and walk till my legs turned to jello. - at first 5 minuts was a nightmare for me; but I pushed through.
    * Full body Free weights; light weight (25lbs) high reps (till i couldnt do any more) 3 sets each - chest, bys, tri's, squats, calf's (you get it - full body) - 30 second rest in between sets and muscle change.
    * Back on the stairmaster no vest for 8 minuts.

Evening:
    35lb kettle bell. full body kettle bell workout and finishing with swinging it between my legs and up to my face level as many times as I can until I couldnt take any more (did the swing 3 sets to max exaustion)

Ive done this every day for 2 weeks. It sucked at first; but after the 1st week it wasnt bad at all and I actually looked forward to my workouts.
    I havent had a food craving not once.
    I lost 14lbs to date (2 weeks) and have increased my strength significantly.
    My heart rate after 5 minuts on the stairmaster with a 75Lb vest is right around 160.

My goal is to pass the stairmaster heart rate on the 1st shot - hope ive worked hard enough.
    Just wanted to share this; getting your heart rate down; losing fat and getting stronger can be a real short term goal if you apply a bit of dicipline.
    Hopefully the day of the medical my heart rate will be even lower due to only wearing 50lbs.. if i fail - 8 mins will be a breez with only 50 lbs on.
    Good luck everyone.
    I wouldn't be able to work or go to the gym on that diet though. I would probably pass out from hunger lol

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY4LIFE718 View Post
    I wouldn't be able to work or go to the gym on that diet though. I would probably pass out from hunger lol
    Just eat more. Only limit intake if you really have a lot of weight to lose. I lost 5lbs for the medical. Eating as much as I wanted. But I ate really clean. No gluten. No sugar. No soy. No alcohol.
    Breakfast: oatmeal, walnuts, blueberries
    Lunch: salad with tuna and steamed veggies
    Snack: banana
    Dinner: salmon, sweet potato and spinach
    Snack: grapefruit
    10 glasses of water at least.
    Protein shake on workout days to recover.

I literally couldn't stop eating. At times it hurt to eat so much

Forum Member

Anyone attending FAP in March FYI - My mentor sent me a fact sheet with the rest of the dates. They are as follows :

Initial Assessments – Fitness: March 4th and 7th / Calisthenics: March 11th and 14th

Midterm Assessments – Fitness: April 1st and 4th/ Calisthenics: April 8th and 11th

Final Assessments – Fitness: May 6th and 9th / Calisthenics: May 13th and 16th
    fndyoneday and GrownSimba like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gomer Pyle View Post
    Anyone attending FAP in March FYI - My mentor sent me a fact sheet with the rest of the dates. They are as follows :

Initial Assessments – Fitness: March 4th and 7th / Calisthenics: March 11th and 14th

Midterm Assessments – Fitness: April 1st and 4th/ Calisthenics: April 8th and 11th

Final Assessments – Fitness: May 6th and 9th / Calisthenics: May 13th and 16th
    Thanks for posting this makes the academy feel that much closer
    bklynmike91 and BD1017 like this.

Forum Member

Thanks for posting this makes the academy feel that much closer
    It is basically right around the corner for a lot of you. We're already in March. Two more months and this forum plus email accounts will be refreshed every 5 seconds for new information and run letters.

Good luck to anyone in the 1950 - 2800 range ... hopefully it all turns out well and you receive the good news.

Forum Member

It is basically right around the corner for a lot of you. We're already in March. Two more months and this forum plus email accounts will be refreshed every 5 seconds for new information and run letters.

Good luck to anyone in the 1950 - 2800 range ... hopefully it all turns out well and you receive the good news.
    Real grateful for the forum. Found out about it at my intake. I feel for anyone who doesn't know about this. I was so clueless with possible dates for everything prior
    bklynmike91, BD1017 and GrownSimba like this.

Forum Member

Man those 800+ candidate projections you throwing out there sound lovely. If im not mistaken, most candidates ever called for processing for a class was around 700 (+/-20). If you're right, the gods have answered my prayers. Sitting at late 26** like an anxious bench player ready to get buckets!!!
    BD1017 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GrownSimba View Post
    Man those 800+ candidate projections you throwing out there sound lovely. If im not mistaken, most candidates ever called for processing for a class was around 700 (+/-20). If you're right, the gods have answered my prayers. Sitting at late 26** like an anxious bench player ready to get buckets!!!
    I have a feeling you're going to make it for the summer Bro ... you got this. A lot of things can happen with this process along the way.

People can't prove residency or get all their documents together, can't pass medical, sound suspect on their psych or their background etc etc. Any one of those things will hold a person up. Not to mention people who just aren't interested or didn't keep up with the process.
    GrownSimba likes this.

Forum Member

When's family day?

Man these other FAP dates looking great.

Forum Member

sup guys, does anybody know how many pull up they expect us to do at the rock if we get called up. I always been going to the gym but i can never do more than 3-5 pull ups. sits ups and push up im good but pulls up im horrible at. also 1950- 2800 range gave me hope this morning lol idk how true it can be but whateva

Thread Information