Like Tree12548Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

I don't know if you guys got this information already but my mentor sent me the list for all the Fap Sessions.

March everyone got already.

April: Midterm Assessments
    Fitness: 4/1/15 - 8am-12pm or 6pm-10pm
    Fitness: 4/4/15 - 8am-12pm or 1pm-5pm
    Calisthenics: 4/8/15 - 8am-12pm or 6pm-10pm
    Calisthenics: 4/11/15 - 8am-12pm or 1pm-5pm

May: Final Assessment
    Fitness: 5/6/15 - 8am-12pm or 6pm-10pm
    Fitness: 5/9/15 - 8am-12pm or 1pm-5pm
    Calisthenics: 5/13/15 - 9am-11am or 6pm-8pm
    Calisthenics: 5/16/15 - 9am-11am or 12pm-2pm

For the April Calisthenics - Those are what the times say on the notice but they might be incorrect because the other 2 assessments are only 2 hours. But I'm sure the dates are correct.
    GrownSimba likes this.

Forum Member

bklynfdny why didn't you guys run? weather?
    how many people went? everyone in decent shape?

thnx for the post

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BklynFDNY89 View Post
    Don't wear a suit, it's unnecessary. You can come in jeans & a t-shirt if you want & I would recommend it because you want to be comfortable for the duration of the test. Also, bring a drink of some sort.. I had a red bull with me just so I could keep my energy level up because the test really starts getting boring after 200 questions.. there's roughly 569 give or take. Completely personal opinion but I think the red bull is what helped me be one of the first 10 people done with the test. You'll see the faces of other people struggling to concentrate later in the test.

I also had the FAP last night. The minimum standard for entry into the Academy is 30 push ups, 30 sit ups, 4 pull ups, & 13 min mile.

Push ups - you'll have a dumbell under your chest which you have to touch in the down position. There's a 2 second cadence you'll be following from the Instructor saying "Down". There is no speed standard that needs to be followed in terms of how fast you go down or up, just be in the up position prior to the Instructor saying "Down".

Sit ups - Fingers will be interlocked behind your head at all times & cannot be broken. You must come all the way up & touch your knees for the up position. You must touch the floor with back of your hands or your elbows for the down position.

Pull ups - arms must be straight in a hanging position prior to each pull up attempt. When it comes to the kip pullups, my last 2 pull ups were somewhat of a kip pull up.. I kicked out a little bit to swing myself up but not so obviously.. the instructors didn't say anything.. also in some of the videos of the workouts at The Rock, it looks like they're doing not so obvious kip pull ups. What I mean is don't exaggerate your kick.. a little swing doesn't look like it will draw attention.

Mile & a half - we didn't do this in our session. But someone otj was talking to us & mentioned that even though it's 13 minutes to get into the academy, on day 1 if you're running anything over 12 minutes you're going to be put into remedial. So run the mile & a half in less than 12 minutes.

Also, it was put out that there are 5 classes left to go in.
    Thanks for the info man, very helpful.
    Question about the pull ups...how wide is the grip on the bar? Shoulder width or wider?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 4040clubBouncer View Post
    bklynfdny why didn't you guys run? weather?
    how many people went? everyone in decent shape?

thnx for the post
    Yeah because of the snow

& 37 came but roughly 77 were registered.. We got out at like 745.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Patiently_Waiting View Post
    Thanks for the info man, very helpful.
    Question about the pull ups...how wide is the grip on the bar? Shoulder width or wider?
    A little wider than shoulder length but honestly its a pretty long bar so whatever is comfortable.

Forum Member

Anybody by chance know what kind of numbers are being put up from the real physically fit guys? Its a given that everyone's got their strengths, and to set the bar for all events would be pretty damn hard, but what are some of the higher numbers? 90 PU? 100 SU? 30 Pulls? Just trying to get an idea of the scale. The minimum numbers are extremely informative, but I know some of you want those golden numbers to work at....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BD1017 View Post
    Anybody by chance know what kind of numbers are being put up from the real physically fit guys? Its a given that everyone's got their strengths, and to set the bar for all events would be pretty damn hard, but what are some of the higher numbers? 90 PU? 100 SU? 30 Pulls? Just trying to get an idea of the scale. The minimum numbers are extremely informative, but I know some of you want those golden numbers to work at....
    you mean at the FAP or for the physical fitness winner?

physical fitness winner is a combo, from what I understand. in theory one could run the fastest or whatever and still not get the award.
    I think numbers thrown around here are above 100 for pushups, over 60 sit-ups in a minute, 25+ pull-ups and a sub 8 min mile and half.

one guy hit: 113, 62, 28 and 7:55. so your goal should be 115, 64, 30 and 7:53 just to be on the safe side

Forum Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fN39K2NY0w

thats a good WOD for all of you interested in adding new things to your routine. enjoy
    fndyoneday likes this.

Forum Member

Default LaGuardia Airport

If you turn on the news now FDNY and PAPD are working on a plane that skidded off the runway. The Delta flight's fuel tank ruptured and spilled approx. 300 gallons of fuel.

For all you buffs (like me) out there, here is a rundown of what units would be out there:

A second alarm response:

8 engines
    5 ladders
    5 battalion chiefs
    1 rescue
    1 squad
    1 deputy chief
    1 RAC unit
    1 satellite
    safety battalion
    SOC battalion
    1 tactical support unit
    field comm

A 10-86 Fluoroprotein Foam Operation. Transmitted for a fire or emergency requiring Fluoroprotein foam concentrate in addition to that carried by units on the scene. The following units are to respond:

2 Foam Carriers and associated engine companies
    2 Foam Coordinators
    1 Satellite Unit and associated engine company
    1 Foam Tender and associated engine company
    2 Purple K Units and associated engine companies
    1 Hazardous Materials Co. 1
    1 Hazardous Materials Battalion
    1 Hazardous Materials Technician Unit
    J0hnnyb0y and fndyoneday like this.

Forum Member

I got a question for the guys OTJ, I know it's far off and everything but how much weight gets put on prior experience AFTER the academy? As far as EMS and/or HAZMAT experience, does any of it help if you want to get into a specialized unit after you have the time on?

Forum Member

This is great news!
    4040clubBouncer likes this.

Forum Member

Hey guys quick question, is true the quicker you hand in all your documents to your investigator the quicker you get on?? I heard some guy say this during intake

Forum Member

Was the medical that was held today just a make up date? Or were there candidates in the 2800s there ?

Looks like the halted medicals at 2825-2850.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 4040clubBouncer View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fN39K2NY0w

thats a good WOD for all of you interested in adding new things to your routine. enjoy
    Great work out. To get through this you need a great deal of strength and endurance

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Team2strong View Post
    Hey guys quick question, is true the quicker you hand in all your documents to your investigator the quicker you get on?? I heard some guy say this during intake
    Lol talk to guys in the 6,000s and see if this is true.

Though I have say you should have all of your documents turned in as soon as possible. If your in the range for this upcomming class and don't have everything turned in you will jus be skipped over for the class

Forum Member

Not exactly.

You get on according to your list # ... period. That # is the reference for the hiring process.

Take me for example ... I just went for intake a few weeks ago. Handed in everything that was required, however with my list # (31XX) I do not have a shot at the upcoming class, even though I satisfied the list for required documents.

Another random candidate who IS eligible for this next class could have showed up to intake without even having filled out his CPB-D, and no required documents in hand. This candidate will have right up until before they start sending run letters out for this next class ( Late May ) to hand in all the documents to their investigator. It would obviously be really dumb to wait till then, because you may in fact be skipped over, but you do have some time.

Everything goes by list # ... even if you hand in all ur docs on Day 1 you still have to wait your turn to be called.
    Team2strong likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fndyoneday View Post
    Thanks for posting this chad. Just curious if my memory works correctly this morning you graduated from the academy a class or two ago right? They let you work the FAP sessions that quickly after graduation? That's really amazing if they do I see myself doing that if I ever get the chance.
    Members out of the last few classes have been made junior mentors (as opposed to regular mentors, and senior mentors who oversee everybody else). They use junior mentors to help staff recruitment/candidate prep events.

Quote Originally Posted by emt6586 View Post
    I got a question for the guys OTJ, I know it's far off and everything but how much weight gets put on prior experience AFTER the academy? As far as EMS and/or HAZMAT experience, does any of it help if you want to get into a specialized unit after you have the time on?
    It doesn't hurt but doesn't necessarily make a huge difference. Worry about that once you're off probation and deciding if you want to try and position yourself to be an attractive candidate for SOC.

Not really, but the reverse is true. If you are slow with your documents you can miss a class since they will skip your # if you don't have everything in on time.
    emt6586 and Team2strong like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by emt6586 View Post
    DO NOT mention prior experience to anyone before, during or after the academy. After Probation, and in the right circumstance, you may express that you had some kind of experience before he FDNY. The exception would be EMS experience. If you were a medic or EMT, go ahead and share.

As for SOC, you won't even apply until you've had 7-10 years OTJ, more for Rescue. However, if you have some certifications like SCUBA or Welding, rigging, that might help you on a SOC application. Prior F.D. Experience doesn't factor in, more professional certs.

Nope. Won't help. Being late, and I mean really late, could delay your hiring. Speediness won't hasten the process though.
    Team2strong likes this.

Forum Member

Don't wear a suit, it's unnecessary. You can come in jeans & a t-shirt if you want & I would recommend it because you want to be comfortable for the duration of the test. Also, bring a drink of some sort.. I had a red bull with me just so I could keep my energy level up because the test really starts getting boring after 200 questions.. there's roughly 569 give or take. Completely personal opinion but I think the red bull is what helped me be one of the first 10 people done with the test. You'll see the faces of other people struggling to concentrate later in the test.

I also had the FAP last night. The minimum standard for entry into the Academy is 30 push ups, 30 sit ups, 4 pull ups, & 13 min mile.

Push ups - you'll have a dumbell under your chest which you have to touch in the down position. There's a 2 second cadence you'll be following from the Instructor saying "Down". There is no speed standard that needs to be followed in terms of how fast you go down or up, just be in the up position prior to the Instructor saying "Down".

Sit ups - Fingers will be interlocked behind your head at all times & cannot be broken. You must come all the way up & touch your knees for the up position. You must touch the floor with back of your hands or your elbows for the down position.

Pull ups - arms must be straight in a hanging position prior to each pull up attempt. When it comes to the kip pullups, my last 2 pull ups were somewhat of a kip pull up.. I kicked out a little bit to swing myself up but not so obviously.. the instructors didn't say anything.. also in some of the videos of the workouts at The Rock, it looks like they're doing not so obvious kip pull ups. What I mean is don't exaggerate your kick.. a little swing doesn't look like it will draw attention.

Mile & a half - we didn't do this in our session. But someone otj was talking to us & mentioned that even though it's 13 minutes to get into the academy, on day 1 if you're running anything over 12 minutes you're going to be put into remedial. So run the mile & a half in less than 12 minutes.

5 classes left to go in - hopefully that means they will squeeze that one last class in before the list expires:
    15-Jul
    16-Jan
    16-Jul
    17-Jan
    17 -May/June??

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Praying_Patiently View Post
    5 classes left to go in - hopefully that means they will squeeze that one last class in before the list expires:
    15-Jul
    16-Jan
    16-Jul
    17-Jan
    17 -May/June??
    I wonder at what they'll stop sending out packets.

Forum Member

Just got my medical letter for the 19th sitting at 28xx if that helps at all. Just ran around my house in excitement. Everytime I get closer the suspense builds.

Thread Information