Like Tree10626Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Angry Frustration

I've been reading this forum since its started, but never wanted to post. I am very frustrated with how everyone pulls the race card on every issue that arises. I also took 6019 and did very well, I also took 2000 and did even better, I am African American, an as an African American, I am truly offended by those that deem a WRITTEN TEST RACIST, I don't understand when everyone is given the same study material, and the same resources one can complain. Maybe the hiring practices can be questioned, but to question a written exam where everyone is given the equal amount of resources is complete BULL****T!!!!Why should the FDNY go out and recruit for a job that thousands of people want, last time I check if your looking for job, the jobs doesn't come to your door steps and ask if you would like to be hired. Yes its true that the minority group scores lower on the exam, but maybe the "complainers" should focus more on raising the education level in the minority communities, and stop letting "US" (the ones who put in hours of studying and hard work to achieve a good score) suffer.

Maybe I am missing something here

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doubler33 View Post
    I've been reading this forum since its started, but never wanted to post. I am very frustrated with how everyone pulls the race card on every issue that arises. I also took 6019 and did very well, I also took 2000 and did even better, I am African American, an as an African American, I am truly offended by those that deem a WRITTEN TEST RACIST, I don't understand when everyone is given the same study material, and the same resources one can complain. Maybe the hiring practices can be questioned, but to question a written exam where everyone is given the equal amount of resources is complete BULL****T!!!!Why should the FDNY go out and recruit for a job that thousands of people want, last time I check if your looking for job, the jobs doesn't come to your door steps and ask if you would like to be hired. Yes its true that the minority group scores lower on the exam, but maybe the "complainers" should focus more on raising the education level in the minority communities, and stop letting "US" (the ones who put in hours of studying and hard work to achieve a good score) suffer.

Maybe I am missing something here
    Nope, I don't think you're missing anything. You basically hit the nail on the head.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bensonhurstlovesme View Post
    hmm unless your a white guy whos pretending to be black.
    you type ALOT like the GUY before you who posted ONE minute before you. your sudden and frequent CAPS give it away.

I would say I’m an educated black man , But I just read the post and saw what you’re referring to.

Forum Member

Welcome to the crew Doubler.

As for the protest I will say that as of right now all of it is noise. I dont understand how quickly this thread escilates and then people go crazy.

First as of the most current E-Mail the test is still being reviewed.

Second we don't know how this will play out. As I said to everyone at the meeting and on here, we are in the beginning stages. Really the major issues we face are the testing process itself, not the everything after. We need to hammer out the tech issues and make sure those that had computer problems get a fair shake at the test. Yes even if it means I lose a place or two. Fair is fair.

Third, as said before I'm banging out of work just to go to the recruitment session on the Intrepid tomorrow. Why? I want to see how this plays out with the department and happen to be curious by it.

Finally, no protests. Simply put they do more harm than good. Have info meetings, debates, and even call yourself Publius and write in papers but no protests and no thought of anything else until our results are out and the testing is done.
    nycthirteen likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by myles8683 View Post
    has it been a year already???????
    hilarious. I say the same thing to myself every time I regretfully read one of his useless, misinformed, unintelligent posts.

Forum Member

Day at the Intrepid was pretty interesting.

The point of the table for candidates was for motivation and to keep track of people who attended. The more events you attend, the better your chance are at some kind of prize.

I'll bet everyone will agree though, that the only prize we're interested in is the job itself, not some key chain or whatever else they might give away.

Anyway, it was interesting to see the companies there as they did their demonstrations. They did forcible entry, auto extrication, and rope rescue.
    Fdnytolife4130 likes this.

Forum Member

anybody have an idea when we find out about protested questions?

Forum Member

What will you be protesting, the exam you just re took to get on the list AGAIN?
    Sometimes you people need to leave well enough alone and not ruin it for the rest of us.
    The fact of the matter is this judge was a complete d bag for phucking up the last exam for us...

Now you guys want to draw more and more attention to something that needs time away from the media. Let's face it, the more tv time this **** gets, the worse off we all are. Yes life isn't fair but sometimes you have to bite the bullet before you start to get your pretty little picket signs and start making people giving unneeded attention to a cluster phuck of a situation.
    Word of advice
    Just let the exam list numbers come out and when you protestors see your list numbers then decide if you want to protest or not. Don't dig your self into a chit deep hole.
    Also don't Slam this judge over and over again, and then claim you want to do the very thing he did and **** this **** up.
    Thanks enjoy the summer

When the list is out it will be too late. The judges case is being reviewed and his backwards spin on reality needs to be shown to the public and the appeals court. No one is going to throw out 2000 but we need to make sure quotas don't happen and that its graded fairly and questions that certain races do bad on, are not thrown out.
    FDNYPD likes this.

Forum Member

answered my own question
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 07-16-2012 at 12:37 AM.

Forum Member

If you dont think the first class is gonna be 65 percent black 20 percent asian and 15 percent white your mistaken.
    Reality is that the fdny is the most white irish male populated CITY job in NYC. For it to " reflect the city better" and to make all of the people who complain about this ( such as every black community leader, ACLU, AND OF CORSE THE JUDGE) feel better they will definitely hire those people first to make this more of a equal opportunity thing. You cannot have a city agency be mostly white, espically after all this un needed attention has been brought to it, after throwing away a test, all these news stories, all of these recruitment tables in brownsville, crown heights bedstuy- commercials on hot 97, power 105. People took the test in Connecticut for god sakes.
    the fact is that the fdny favored white irish guys for a long time and it was very difficult for a black woman to get the job. Wheather you want to agree with me or not on that one i think we can all agree that up until about 15 years ago to get on the fdny as long as you took the test and knew a guy on the job you could get right in. It was a family thing, mostly irish and was passed down to generations. Those irish men werent happy about a black guy sleeping in the firehouse with them. if you can believe it there used to be a thing called racism.
    stuff like that kicks you in the *** in the long run because now all of us white folk are gonna have to take our trip on the back of the bus on this one.
    boy karma really does suck.
    this is reality people. it sucks balls and isnt fair but sometimes life isnt fair. All of us white people get angry when blacks and spanish pull the race card but how often are we discriminated against? not too often, i have no trouble walking about best buy or bed bath and beyond i never get looked at suspiciously. I couldnt imagine being black and being discriminated against it must really suck.
    Now we know how it feels
    Two wrongs don't make a right... The true racism is that we have to have a dumbed down test so minorities can do well. That implies that white people are smarter?

Forum Member

no
    Caucasians USUALLY come from better socio-economic backgrounds then minorites.
    i dont know if youve spent much time in a very bad neighborhood but its mostly made up of minorities and last time i checked their not really big on education, more on crime prevention.
    to say " white people are smarter" is a stupid ignorant statement of someone trying to make a point.
    I think we all know what comes with growing up in a area with a lower socio econmic status. alot of minorites have trouble reading because of the schools they go to.
    so IMO to treat everyone the same when everyone does not come from the same place, is indeed unfair.
    growing up with a silver spoon in your mouth is not a good enough reason to sit here and make all of these comments.
    i would like to disclaimer this by saying yes there are exceptions, there are white people who grew up with nothing and who work hard for what they get, there are blacks who grow up in the projects and become lawyers.
    but my point being the majority of white people grow up pretty well, with less trouble advancing in grade, getting jobs etc.

When you state that "caucasians USUALLY come from better socio-economic backgrounds" you are generalizing. You are allowing yourself to view people with your preconceived judgements without knowing the facts about individuals. Of course, the result of preconceived judgments is PREJUDICE. That's where the word come from preconceived judgments.

You seem to think that minorities have been crippled by the schools they attend and neighborhoods they come from. I have a different view. I think there are many bright minorities and because of other social programs most of those minorities are attending college and are being recruited to attend graduate schools. If you are a minority bright enough to do well on the fire dept exam, you probably have been offered many more lucrative opportunities than being a firefighter.

So the minorities that have not been offered those opportunities are left to take the fire dept exam. It is not surprising that they, as a group, do not do as well as the white applicants. A huge chunk of the brightest minorities remove themselves from contention for firefighter. Put another way, there are numerous well educated minorities, most of whom, choose not to take the exam. They do so because they believe they can make more money elsewhere. While many of the white applicants have grown up in families that have roots in the fire dept. They don't want other jobs, they want to be firefighters and have always felt that way. I must add that bright minorities did pass exam 6019. You can see some of them on a you tube video about that exam.

Finally, your generalizations about minorities can lead to some strange outcomes. If you use generalizations then the children of Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan and other wealthy minorities will be given preference over other applicants. Such a result would be unjust.

The only way to remedy the perceived injustice of the fire dept racial make-up is to develop a test that is job related. All parties must agree the test is job related and not discriminatory, BEFORE THE TEST IS GIVEN. Once the test is given the results will stand. There are many minorities that are bright enough to take the test. There are non-discriminatory reasons they choice not to take the test. There are non-discriminatory reasons the dept is not reflective of the racial make-up of the city. There are families that encourage their children to enter the fire dept because many relatives have been members. I bet if you looked at the corrections dept, which is not racially diverse, you would find that there is the same family tradition there.

There are reasons, other than discrimination, why the fire dept, looks like it does.
    River6019 likes this.

Forum Member

Default Residency Credit

Ok, So I am getting the short end of the stick when it comes to the residency credit. I went to school(college) in Suffolk county, while keeping my address to my queens address, I then attended grad school (still in Suffolk) and change my address because I had problem retrieving my mail from queens. I do not qualify for the residency credit because of my Suffolk address. Is their anyway I can petition to have this over ruled?

Forum Member

Whenever the forum is quiet for a day look out for Bensonhurst to come on and either insult someone or attempt to stir the pot with some asinine statement.
    I3akdraf likes this.

Forum Member

More prejudicial statements that don't do any good for this forum and its goals

Forum Member

If you dont think the first class is gonna be 65 percent black 20 percent asian and 15 percent white your mistaken.
    Reality is that the fdny is the most white irish male populated CITY job in NYC. For it to " reflect the city better" and to make all of the people who complain about this ( such as every black community leader, ACLU, AND OF CORSE THE JUDGE) feel better they will definitely hire those people first to make this more of a equal opportunity thing. You cannot have a city agency be mostly white, espically after all this un needed attention has been brought to it, after throwing away a test, all these news stories, all of these recruitment tables in brownsville, crown heights bedstuy- commercials on hot 97, power 105. People took the test in Connecticut for god sakes.
    the fact is that the fdny favored white irish guys for a long time and it was very difficult for a black woman to get the job. Wheather you want to agree with me or not on that one i think we can all agree that up until about 15 years ago to get on the fdny as long as you took the test and knew a guy on the job you could get right in. It was a family thing, mostly irish and was passed down to generations. Those irish men werent happy about a black guy sleeping in the firehouse with them. if you can believe it there used to be a thing called racism.
    stuff like that kicks you in the *** in the long run because now all of us white folk are gonna have to take our trip on the back of the bus on this one.
    boy karma really does suck.
    this is reality people. it sucks balls and isnt fair but sometimes life isnt fair. All of us white people get angry when blacks and spanish pull the race card but how often are we discriminated against? not too often, i have no trouble walking about best buy or bed bath and beyond i never get looked at suspiciously. I couldnt imagine being black and being discriminated against it must really suck.
    Now we know how it feels
    STFU you ignorant fool.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    STFU you ignorant fool.
    I think everybody needs to just ignore this clown. He's so off the wall ridiculous in his statements I don't know whether he's for quotas or against them. No point in adressing it any further.

Also Chief Mannix has a good post on the Merit Matters site today for any of you that's interested.

Forum Member
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

You know all this back and forth is actually getting us nowhere. We are all here for one reason and that is to get on the job regardless of race or gender. We all need to make sure we are treated fairly throughout the process. Racism is a worldwide fact, let's not get negative and let this stop us. Let's all please focus on the task at hand and leave whatever issues to the politicians, judges etc.....

Forum Member

lets start off by saying this is a forum and we live in america so i can say what i like..
    this forum gets boring redudant and monotonatus so i find the need to comment to give my opnion ( last time i checked opinions cant be wrong) and i find the need to entertain my self from the same 6 idiots who post long posts about how life isnt fair and the judge screwed everyone. is it the truth yes. i also have a question for you RIVER6019..
    If i spread peanut butter on my b@LLS will you lick it off?
    ( if so do you prefer lowfat crunchy, lowfat smooth or just regular. also what brand?)

i think this guy might be coombs or washington.,,,,,Or it could be one of those black firefighters who was at the appeal two weeks ago that had a "Remember Bedia and Grafagnino" shirt on.....Boy if those men could talk and see you now......

Either way BensonhurstLuvemesome need sto be ignored bc all he does is spew verbal diahrrea

What a joke

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DC33017 View Post
    i think this guy might be coombs or washington.,,,,,Or it could be one of those black firefighters who was at the appeal two weeks ago that had a "Remember Bedia and Grafagnino" shirt on.....Boy if those men could talk and see you now......

Either way BensonhurstLuvemesome need sto be ignored bc all he does is spew verbal diahrrea

What a joke
    It very well could be Coombs or Washington. Based on his valiant efforts at using big words and then incorrectly spelling them as well as his utterly ridiculous beliefs, I have to agree it could be either of those numbskulls.

MembersZone Subscriber

No need to speculate. That doesn't help your cause and only fuels certain groups to show how paranoid and/or biased you can be. You don't need that.

Ignore the POS.
    Plus, see the little exclamation point to the bottom left of each post?
    You can report each one. (hint hint)
    Unwanted sexual advances and innuendo are just that: unwanted and technically sexual harassment. Hopefully the moderators will take notice.
    Last edited by ffbam24; 07-17-2012 at 07:15 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    I think everybody needs to just ignore this clown. He's so off the wall ridiculous in his statements I don't know whether he's for quotas or against them. No point in adressing it any further.

Also Chief Mannix has a good post on the Merit Matters site today for any of you that's interested.
    Great article my chief Mannix

keep reading further down about the raids on firehouses and Merrit Matters material, also pretty intersting
    Last edited by MerritMatters; 07-17-2012 at 07:50 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    It very well could be Coombs or Washington. Based on his valiant efforts at using big words and then incorrectly spelling them as well as his utterly ridiculous beliefs, I have to agree it could be either of those numbskulls.
    ah.
    your gonna be that guy. everywhere , every forum or comment area there is always THE GUY who corrects peoples spelling and punctuation. i cant believe your that guy

Forum Member

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/fede...entrance-exams

Dunno if this was new or not . Didn't see it posted

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ICNYC View Post
    http://cnsnews.com/news/article/fede...entrance-exams

Dunno if this was new or not . Didn't see it posted
    I just logged on here to post the same article. Sickening.

Forum Member

I have a question about the residency points and if anyone has heard anything. I currently live in Queens and I have all the paperwork ready to prove I did a year before the filing date, took care of it the week the exam notice came out. My question is, what if I moved out of the city would I still get the points ? The exam notice stated you have to prove residency a year prior to the filing date, which I can. But what if they come back with, "you aren't living in the city anymore"? Has anyone spoke to DCAS about this or is in a similar situation ? I found a really nice apartment in Long Beach and I like it a lot.

Thread Information