Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 119 of 1024 FirstFirst ... 1969109116117118119120121122129169219619 ... LastLast
Results 2,361 to 2,380 of 20467
Like Tree7769Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

Quote Originally Posted by rpnyc1 View Post
    Philly was a very different setup. They gave out a 160 page prep packet a few months in advance and then offered a multiple choice test based soley on that information. After those questions, in the same test, there were 160+ personality questions. If you passed the part based on the prep packet you were assigned a list number based soley on your personality questions score. So even though your list number is only a function of your personality score, you don't get on the list without a passing grade on the first part of the test. They scored the personality section in bands, so rather than each question being right or wrong they gave you a composite score based on your overall profile. I got 100 on the Philly test, figured I'd use the same approach and mindset for NY and ended up with 14 pc's. Go figure.
    Yea I hear you, I guess this is where the train stops for me then. I mean 6 nc and 12 partial on the personality questions. This sucks for me
    Last edited by Fdnytolife4130; 05-15-2012 at 02:07 PM.

Forum Member

im gonna sign your pitty on the runny kine
    Last edited by LongCut; 06-06-2012 at 06:19 PM.

Forum Member

I'm going to lose my **** Saturday morning if the way the Vulcans said to score is ruled wrong. The last thing I wanted to do was trust those ****s but I did...and now people are saying their way is wrong. Wooosah Woooosah Wooosah

Forum Member

I got a crapload of PC's for the personality questions... I answered them honestly too...

Forum Member

People, I haven't posted here in a very long time. I thought I'd take a swing through the "Exam 2000" threat to see what was new. I found the answer....nothing.

I like to stay very active with Merit Matters and keep all of the guys in my firehouse up to speed about the hiring process. Believe me, we all want to know what's judging those who are coming through our doors in the future.

I know what it's like to be in all of your shoes. You want information and you want it as soon as you can get it. The reality is, there isn't much information out there. This process isn't very transparent and there won't be information until it comes from the City, DCAS, the FDNY or (sadly) the courts.

Don't fill the void by harping on suspicions and rumors. They're usually untrue. They guy who took the test and claims to have all the answers is lying or in denial.

Keep your heads up and follow the process as carefully as you can. Your futures and ours depend on the best people getting the job and that can't happen without a fair process. Bear in mind, many things have yet to be decided and the court case is currently at the 2nd Circuit on appeal. Time will tell...

Remember that our headcount is frighteningly low and many many people will be hired off of this new list, so be patient and your number just might come up.

**Lastly, about the vetting process; don't worry too much. As long as you don't have any violent felonies you have a good shot of getting through. A DWI or a public indecency charge isn't going to bar you, but you might end up with a Stipulation, which equates to a 2 year probation and not one. Bit deal, you'd still be on the job, right?!

Good luck.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kd44 View Post
    Are you kidding me? I paid $450 for a prep class and went to the Vulcan meetings and they both said that if you oversold yourself then then would know that your lying. So the people who actual tried to prepare and went to review sessions are going to get screwed because they got bad information.
    I'm in the same boat you are. I took the prep course in Brooklyn where everyone was told to be honest and not oversell yourself as perfect because no one is and they'll know you're lying. I just hope they grade the personality section the way they said in the course otherwise I'm screwed. Guess all we can do now is continue to train, stay positive and wait for the list.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CSRNYC View Post
    I'm in the same boat you are. I took the prep course in Brooklyn where everyone was told to be honest and not oversell yourself as perfect because no one is and they'll know you're lying. I just hope they grade the personality section the way they said in the course otherwise I'm screwed. Guess all we can do now is continue to train, stay positive and wait for the list.
    I took the same course. Can some one who has been to the review or knows explain to me if they are are grading strongly agree different than agree or grading disagree differently than strongly disagree?

Forum Member

we have to keep in mind there are still going to be people taking the exam, getting this specific in how the test has been graded is going to hurt us all in the end.

MembersZone Subscriber

I got one question wrong in the first four parts, which I feel will be corrected via my protest. Their answer was clearly the more negligent one while mine was clearly the more prudent one that followed procedure mentioned in the video.
    I also protested one personality question, but it really was a protest of the entire personality section, because some of the questions required some people to recall events in their life that happened 2 or 3 years ago, while some of us like myself had to think back 17 years because these events happen at the same age for everyone. The result is that I took too much time trying to remember in order to give accurate answers and missed the last 14 personality questions. If it wasn't timed, or there was sufficient time, I wouldn't care, but they asked me to think about things that happened 17 years ago that I haven't thought about since, while the guy next to me had to think back 2 or 3 years only because he's younger. I suggested that they give an average for that section no matter how many questions you missed or answered.

Forum Member

Three reading comprehension questions wrong: One protested
    One or two partial-credit on the personality questions: None protested

I didn't see much use in protesting a subjective question. They might take the guys who have partial credits in some of the questions. We don't know yet.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    I'm going to lose my **** Saturday morning if the way the Vulcans said to score is ruled wrong. The last thing I wanted to do was trust those ****s but I did...and now people are saying their way is wrong. Wooosah Woooosah Wooosah
    i dont know why anyone listened to those racist vulcan *******s anyway.
    they probably bull****ted the whites and told the minorities the real answers.
    they took your money either way. i paid for a prep book that was inaccurate as well but i got mine off amazon for 15 bucks. no much of a loss there. i feel bad for those of you who spent hundreds on the vulcan society prep.
    honest question, what made you guys think they were any different then any other prep? if anything, as a NON-minority, i would not trust them.
    Last edited by bensonhurstlovesme; 05-15-2012 at 09:06 PM.

Forum Member

All this test stress is making my hydra-v WATER converter overheat! Which knob do i turn! THERE IS TOO MANY

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYPD View Post

I didn't see much use in protesting a subjective question. They might take the guys who have partial credits in some of the questions. We don't know yet.
    Congrats, you did very well so far. Keep up the good work.

Forum Member

Congrats, well done. Only 1 or 2 PC is pretty good on the personality section, if you don't mind me asking, did you answers the questions in a manner that the Vulcans or other review classes would have advised? I'm just trying to figure out some type of ball park range of how I did so I don't murder anyone during my review session.

Forum Member

Thanks guys. It sounds like all of you did well too!

I couldn't go to the review sessions as I'm about 250 miles outside the city and I work a rotating shift work schedule with very few approved requests off. I just relied on what you guys said on these forums.

Thanks guys. It sounds like all of you did well too!

I couldn't go to the review sessions as I'm about 250 miles outside the city and I work a rotating shift work schedule with very few approved requests off. I just relied on what you guys said on these forums.
    Lol, and I'm over here saying what a lucky son of a b i t c h!!! Lol. Not to make fun of you but don't be surprised if you did even better or just a little bit worse when you get your score in the mail.

Forum Member

Haha nah man. I've taken so many of these things. I'll be a lucky son of a hctib when I'm sweating at the Rock. I still don't have the residency points

Forum Member

Speaking of residency points, does anyone remember seeing stats on residents/non-residents who took the exam? They released a butt-load of other numbers but I didn't see that anywhere and that is going to factor pretty large for a lot of us, one way or another...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nycthirteen View Post
    Speaking of residency points, does anyone remember seeing stats on residents/non-residents who took the exam? They released a butt-load of other numbers but I didn't see that anywhere and that is going to factor pretty large for a lot of us, one way or another...
    At the vulcan prep classes washington was saying they expected about 60% of test takers to have residency credit. i would think the way they set up residency requirements for this exam would have lowered that number a bit, but that was the only instance where any sort of # was mentioned about candidates with residency.
    nycthirteen likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    I took the same course. Can some one who has been to the review or knows explain to me if they are are grading strongly agree different than agree or grading disagree differently than strongly disagree?
    the way i saw it was that if they are looking for agree, then strongly agree is also full credit. and if the answer is disagree, strongly disagree is also full credit. the other 2 answers are both partial credit. so basically agree and ST agree are the same answer. and st disagree and disagree are the same answer. as far as the vulcan thing, they told you the wrong thing. my strategy was to be honest and not oversell myself and i got a bunch of pc. if you think about it if you did oversell yourself how can they prove your lying? but if you were actually honest they can say you dont have morals.
    for example if they asked- i never lie. the answer is agree or strongly agree. so i guess they believe the person who says he never lied. lol
    idk if the vulcans knew they were lying or what but it sucks. i cant believe i only got 1 wrong and messed up on the personality q's. the only hope i have is that they grade the main parts more than the personality section is worth.

Thread Information