Like Tree9540Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dremarin2 View Post
    I don't know the amount of the desire of those 60 plus thousand who signed up, but I do know, within Two days of them announcing the test I signed up. I became EMT certified just to get a better shot at this job. I feel like it was a slap of the face to those who actually wanted the job before the million dollar plus advertising campaign plus an extension to the test. Is the type of firefighter the FDNY now wants is someone who register's for an exam last minute only due to an extension, isn't it the greatest job in the world? Then why would they recruit ungreat people? I know there's a lot of politics with the vulcan society, but as a man of color I feel like the vulcan society made it harder for me now than before the lawsuit. The Hispanic firefighter association didn't join there lawsuit for a reason. I'd rather earn my way in, then have a judge designate me in, and have an X on my back coming into a firehouse because they feel like I didn't deserve it. My heart goes out to those from FDNY test 6019, because just seeing whats going on now, I can't imagine being so close to the greatest job in the world, just to have it taken away from you. I'm overwhelmed at the number of people taking the test and my chances, granted i'm filing to become an FDNY EMT which helps a lot but still, nothing's guaranteed. I know a whole lot of people will not study, fail the physical, some might not even show up to the test. But with that I know I still have to study my butt off, and just hope that the people who want this job and life prevail more than those who just see a salary. I can't see myself having any other career but a firefighter without being miserable, I know those who really want this feel the same way.

Can't really say it anybetter myself......this is coming from a minority who believes the vulcans have made it much harder. And not easier for him to get on the job....being from 6019 myself and knowing the all out pain and agony I cannot deal with the vulcans and judges non sense anymore. Coombs and washibgton are
    loikibg to get back pay. We are just looking to get whats rightfully ours!!! The JOB!!!! 6019 never dying alswys breathing ......will be with me till the day I die!!!!!!!!

Forum Member

i had no idea there was that many native americans looking to be firefighters.

Forum Member

Man some of these practice tests in the "Norman Hall's" book are kind of tricky. I recommend not being too complacent fellas...
    Last edited by roadrunner09; 09-21-2011 at 11:39 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    Man some of these practice tests in the "Norman Hall's" book are kind of tricky. I recommend not being complacent fellas...
    How are they tricky? Multiple right answer kinda stuff?

Thats what I was coming across in some of the books I was studying from...
    Exam 2000
    Score: 99
    List #:4xxx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkjets75 View Post
    How are they tricky? Multiple right answer kinda stuff?

Thats what I was coming across in some of the books I was studying from...

Nah man. I'm talkin more like some of the math that's borderline physics (IMO), some reading comp that'll make your eyes glaze over, and a few memory scenes/schematics that are very tricky.

What book has those subjective/multiple answer questions? I haven't seen that in any books yet...

Forum Member

some of the questions seem like they require some kind of previous reading or knowledge that pertains to fire fighting. Like the proper way to work while standing on a ladder, with out an explanation as to why its the right way. I have to have another look, I could be remembering it wrong.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 09-21-2011 at 10:18 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    some of the questions seem like they require some kind of previous reading or knowledge that pertains to fire fighting. Like the proper way to work while standing on a ladder, with out an explanation as to why its the right way. I have to have another look, I could be remembering it wrong.
    Most tests now-a-days do not require any prior knowledge of the fire-fighting service, for example the question you read about "How to operate a while standing on a ladder?"

I would just let those questions go by the way-side. Tests now basically go over the basic grammar, math, sciences, spelling etc...as well as the newer formats to test job skills in the field. For example, "You stepped on a old ladies flowers while fighting a fire, and she got upset with the you." They may ask what should you do in the situation and give you 4 answers to choose from etc.

A) Punch her in the face.
    B) Say you're sorry, and explain to her it was not intentional.
    C) Walk away and not say anything.
    D) Tell her to shutup, it was either save your house, or let it burn.

Forum Member

I figured that and knew it was one of the reasons they are using the new test makers. I honestly don't even know if it's worth it to study any of those books.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    I figured that and knew it was one of the reasons they are using the new test makers. I honestly don't even know if it's worth it to study any of those books.

PSI is the company they are using. The book I mentioned is one (among others) that PSI recommends studying from. Do what you gotta do. But like I said:

I recommend not being too complacent fellas...
    Last edited by roadrunner09; 09-21-2011 at 11:40 PM.

Forum Member

PSI is the company they are using. The book I mentioned is one (among others) that PSI recommends studying from. Do what you gotta do. But like I said:
    Roadrunner, this test is similar to the LAcoFD test. Look at the format on the website. Also the Baron's book is a lot better in this regard to covering everything that could be on the test. Also to everyone else, if this is following the LAcoFD test you have to realize that the personality part of the exam will be the main separating point for most people. You can't study your personality (unless you're an FBI BAA) but you can think as you would do in the situations they give you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy View Post
    Most tests now-a-days do not require any prior knowledge of the fire-fighting service, for example the question you read about "How to operate a while standing on a ladder?"

I would just let those questions go by the way-side. Tests now basically go over the basic grammar, math, sciences, spelling etc...as well as the newer formats to test job skills in the field.
    I haven't spent much time on this particular link, but did take the 2000 test and IMO, was the easiest written I ever took. However, when it comes to such a general knowledge test as that one, the questions are and pretty much have to be basic. For instance it can give you an example of "you are a FF, blah, blah" and then answer the question, but it can't ask a question like "What is the steam expansion ratio of water on a fire?" or other fire certified specific questioning.

The only way fire specific questions can be asked is if either certifications or education is required to take the test (which FDNY is not, since it is an open test) or if you are provided a study guide. Now I have seen the Baron's and other test book examples of a civil service test, but unless a dept gives a specific study guide, it can't ask specif FF related questions. So as such is the reason you see such test geared to basic reading, writing, math, etc and not specific FF questions.
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Forum Member

I actually have that book. Thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jccrabby3084 View Post
    I haven't spent much time on this particular link, but did take the 2000 test and IMO, was the easiest written I ever took. However, when it comes to such a general knowledge test as that one, the questions are and pretty much have to be basic. For instance it can give you an example of "you are a FF, blah, blah" and then answer the question, but it can't ask a question like "What is the steam expansion ratio of water on a fire?" or other fire certified specific questioning.

The only way fire specific questions can be asked is if either certifications or education is required to take the test (which FDNY is not, since it is an open test) or if you are provided a study guide. Now I have seen the Baron's and other test book examples of a civil service test, but unless a dept gives a specific study guide, it can't ask specif FF related questions. So as such is the reason you see such test geared to basic reading, writing, math, etc and not specific FF questions.
    You took the new FDNY 2000 test? or am I misreading that.

MembersZone Subscriber

Probably meant the test in 2000, which of course there wasn't one. crabby, did you mean the test in '02?

Forum Member

Anyone know how many signed up for the promotional test?

Forum Member

Hey Roadrunner09 whats the name of the book that you mention that PSI recommends using?

Forum Member

I remember minerva was nice enough to post a link to sample questions that you could pay PSI to view. I went back and tried to find the link but couldn't. I think it was PSI, not sure.

Forum Member

I pm'd him

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by eyebrowike View Post
    Hey Roadrunner09 whats the name of the book that you mention that PSI recommends using?
    ditto....can you PM me. thanks

Forum Member

i saw a few pages back someone said the math was difficult but the noe does not allow calculators/cell phones. when i took the la city test we were allowed calculators

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    Probably meant the test in 2000, which of course there wasn't one. crabby, did you mean the test in '02?
    Yes, it was the 2002 test,

don't drink and type

The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

MembersZone Subscriber

..don't drink and type
    What am I supposed to do with my spare time then?

Forum Member

I remember reading an article where it was said that the judge needed to sign off on exam 2000 beforehand, and in doing so he wouldn't be able to invalidate the results after he signs off. Is that a legal fact/agreement or more like the opinion of the author of the article I am thinking of?
    Not sure if any one knows, but I am wondering if legally he can throw out the test again. If so at what point(if any) can the city appeal or get a new judge on the hiring part of the trial.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 09-23-2011 at 11:36 AM.

Forum Member

Yes, it was the 2002 test,

don't drink and type

Or Facebook for that matter, some horrific stories that way.

Forum Member

MoH recipient Dakota Meyer is looking to join the FDNY, but missed the filing period by hours. It looks like during his trip to NYC, the sacrifice and tradition of the FDNY had an impact on him...If they can make an extension for a parade, they should make one for him... SPREAD THE WORD!!

Merit Matters PRESS RELEASE
    Friday, September 23, 2011

It has come to our attention that Congressional Medal of Honor recipient Marine Sgt. Dakota Meyer is seeking an extension of the filing period so that he may file to take the upcoming FDNY Firefighter entry test...but is meeting resistance to his request.

Extension of the filing period for this test has, in the past, been a common practice. In fact, it was just extended this past weekend so recruiters could attend a parade and sign up those who didn’t file an application during the allotted two months. Sgt. Meyer was in New York this week for events connected to his act of unbelievable bravery when he first became aware of the test and expressed an interest. Unfortunately, he expressed that interest a few hours - yes, hours - late.

We are calling on the Department of Citywide Administrative Services, the FDNY, Mayor Bloomberg and any and all other interested and proper agencies and officials to do whatever it takes to give the first living Marine since Vietnam to earn the Medal of Honor the opportunity to become one of New York’s Bravest. There is absolutely no excuse not to - NONE. If the reasons for extending the filing period this past weekend or for past tests have been valid, then there is absolutely no excuse for not granting Sgt. Meyer’s request.

I know there will be a groundswell of support for what we are urging in this Release. All interested members of the media, elected officials, civic and other leaders can contact us and we will coordinate with those closest to Sgt. Meyer. All receiving this message are urged to make phone calls, forward this message and take any other action to make this Marine’s wish come true. A Medal of Honor recipient wants the opportunity to serve the city of New York- let’s make sure he gets that opportunity.

Paul Mannix

President - Merit Matters
    Exam 2000
    Score: 99
    List #:4xxx

Thread Information