Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 122 of 1205 FirstFirst ... 22721121191201211221231241251321722226221122 ... LastLast
Results 2,421 to 2,440 of 24084
Like Tree9398Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

  1. #2421
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    C'mon, real talk! Its this everyone gets a trophy, coddle little johnny, pc mentality that got us into this mess in the first place. Let's be realistic here, I haven't even heard of anybody getting near 6 wrong on the vids/comp. His chances are slim, If I were him I'd be writing Garaufis letters praying he makes the list a lottery.
    Nobody is giving him a trophy, thats how he did, if he makes it he makes it. For all we know at this point this test could be thrown out too. And speaking of being realistic, what other sources do you have other than here for peoples scores? 41,000 took this test, there is really no comparison right now, we need to wait it out. Unless you have another source of information you're not sharing with the group.

    And if his chances are slim, that's his business. Its not your business to throw salt in his wounds. I guess that begs the question of who you think you are on here to think you can **** on possible candidates...


  2. #2422
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    1 nc vids/reading comp section 2pc personality section
    that should be a great score, congrats.

  3. #2423
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    1 nc vids/reading comp section 2pc personality section
    And since we've decided to be dicks on here...have you noticed your demeanor on the 6019 thread. You can sure be a dick and a **** stirrer, so i guess we all know you lied quite a bit on the personality section.

    I don't usually get like this either, but I guess you bring that out in people.
    FDNYorDIETRYIN and BKEMT1028 like this.

  4. #2424
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    142

    Default

    C'mon guys enough with the arguing, let's get this thread going in a positive direction. Not a single person has addressed my question from the other day:

    Let's say you feel you did great after coming out of the review. How are you preparing for the CPAT? It could be in a year, or it could be in a couple months for all we know, so if you think you did well I suggest working out big time if you haven't been. Is anyone doing any specific CPAT workouts? Right now I'm doing your standard running and weight lifting but I'd love to hear from people who are doing other workouts.

  5. #2425
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CableGuy516 View Post
    C'mon guys enough with the arguing, let's get this thread going in a positive direction. Not a single person has addressed my question from the other day:

    Let's say you feel you did great after coming out of the review. How are you preparing for the CPAT? It could be in a year, or it could be in a couple months for all we know, so if you think you did well I suggest working out big time if you haven't been. Is anyone doing any specific CPAT workouts? Right now I'm doing your standard running and weight lifting but I'd love to hear from people who are doing other workouts.
    Agreed, lets move on. Someone mentioned lights weights (10lbs) with a lot of repetition and long runs so theirs a great way to start...

  6. #2426
    Forum Member FdnytolifeE293's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!
    Posts
    378

    Default

    I got 6 nc and 12pc, all I'm saying is thank god for residency credit. Without it I would not be here anymore. Another thing mr.gimmefire600 is, your not even sure you'll make it to the academy. At least I have faith on my side. Let's say you do make it to the academy, remember your not out of the woods yet. What if you go and you quit because you don't think you can't bare anymore. Guys remember don't get to comfortable with your score/list number. We all have a long way to go and (sorry to say) a few of us won't even see the medical portion of the hiring process. Other than that I'm sure I will see the physical of this process. Trust me I'll be fine, I practice Atleast the first portion of the cpat everyday on my official stairmaster, do you, or have you been laying your fat a s s down on your bed scratching your ball and masturbating to your Xbox all this time? Stfu and enjoy your f u c k I n g score a s s h o l e. I never came on here to tell anyone any different. Overall I really do wish you all the best of luck and god bless you all.
    Last edited by Fdnytolife4130; 05-17-2012 at 01:58 PM.

  7. #2427
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CableGuy516 View Post
    C'mon guys enough with the arguing, let's get this thread going in a positive direction. Not a single person has addressed my question from the other day:

    Let's say you feel you did great after coming out of the review. How are you preparing for the CPAT? It could be in a year, or it could be in a couple months for all we know, so if you think you did well I suggest working out big time if you haven't been. Is anyone doing any specific CPAT workouts? Right now I'm doing your standard running and weight lifting but I'd love to hear from people who are doing other workouts.


    You'll hear this often, but that's because it's true....train for the academy, not the CPAT. In my experience the CPAT is not very difficult. Lots of leg work, and using a weighted vest on stairs should be enough prep. The key is to get yourself to a point physically where once you get off that step mill your tank isn't empty.


    For now I do something very similar to crossfit (but less Olympic lifting, more cardio driven) 4 days a week, and get some lifting in 2 days a week to keep the major muscle groups strong. No running yet. I hate running, and will put that off for now.

  8. #2428
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fdnytolife4130 View Post
    I got 6 nc and 12pc, all I'm saying is thank god for residency credit. Without it I would not be here anymore. Another thing mr.gimmefire600 is, your not even sure you'll make it to the academy. At least I have faith on my side. Let's say you do make it to the academy, remember your not out of the woods yet. What if you go and you quit because you don't think you can't bare anymore. Guys remember don't get to comfortable with your score/list number. We all have a long way to go and (sorry to say) a few of us won't even see the medical portion of the hiring process. Other than that I'm sure I will see the physical of this process. Trust me I'll be fine, I practice Atleast the first portion of the cpat everyday on my official stairmaster, do you, or have you been laying your fat a s s down on your bed scratching your ball and masturbating to your Xbox all this time? Stfu and enjoy your f u c k I n g score a s s h o l e. I never came on here to tell anyone any different. Overall I really do wish you all the best of luck and god bless you all.
    LOL! I could have done without that image!!

  9. #2429
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MerritMatters View Post
    And since we've decided to be dicks on here...have you noticed your demeanor on the 6019 thread. You can sure be a dick and a **** stirrer, so i guess we all know you lied quite a bit on the personality section.

    I don't usually get like this either, but I guess you bring that out in people.
    Touche, you think I'm a dick or a **** stirrer but I just tell it like it is. Most of the guys on here are afraid to go against the grain and have their own opinions because they're afraid of bam ( btw calmb4storm we miss you) or someone else otj telling them to get in the sink.

    I've been through the ringer trying to get on this job as all of us on 6019 have, and when some douc&e like skav wants to dance on 6019's grave and then **** on it I'm not gonna take it lightly and I'm not gonna forget it.

  10. #2430
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Racine,WI
    Posts
    52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    You'll hear this often, but that's because it's true....train for the academy, not the CPAT. In my experience the CPAT is not very difficult. Lots of leg work, and using a weighted vest on stairs should be enough prep. The key is to get yourself to a point physically where once you get off that step mill your tank isn't empty.


    For now I do something very similar to crossfit (but less Olympic lifting, more cardio driven) 4 days a week, and get some lifting in 2 days a week to keep the major muscle groups strong. No running yet. I hate running, and will put that off for now.
    I like this here. Train for the academy. That is very true. CPAT is something to take seriously but if you train for the academy you will have all the confidence for the CPAT. But this from a few people on the job have told me that the academy is not a cake walk.

    I am guilty of this also the not running part, but I throw in a light jog or hop on the bicycle for a few miles.

    For leg strength because thats what kills after the step mill I try and get in a few squats and leg presses. But dont forget to stretch. In the past i've done the P90x and Insanity not at the same time but there is a hybrid of the two together out there but it only works for people who can master the diet plan they ask you to participate in.(not saying it wont work but if you want to look like the ppl on tv you need the diet) The main thing about the CPAT is cardio endurance. working on that and strengthening your muscle groups especially your core will help you out tremendously.

  11. #2431
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    Touche, you think I'm a dick or a **** stirrer but I just tell it like it is. Most of the guys on here are afraid to go against the grain and have their own opinions because they're afraid of bam ( btw calmb4storm we miss you) or someone else otj telling them to get in the sink.

    I've been through the ringer trying to get on this job as all of us on 6019 have, and when some douc&e like skav wants to dance on 6019's grave and then **** on it I'm not gonna take it lightly and I'm not gonna forget it.
    Dude, I'm right there with you. 6019 comes first and will never forget the hardships of it. It was a tough time for everyone that went through the process and no one here can take that away. If you've got a problem with what he said about 6019 send him a PM and straighten it out.

    For right now we have to move on and keep our goals focused in the now. We're here to provide helpful info with one another in a long process, lets stay focused on that.

  12. #2432
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    843

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CableGuy516 View Post
    C'mon guys enough with the arguing, let's get this thread going in a positive direction. Not a single person has addressed my question from the other day:

    Let's say you feel you did great after coming out of the review. How are you preparing for the CPAT? It could be in a year, or it could be in a couple months for all we know, so if you think you did well I suggest working out big time if you haven't been. Is anyone doing any specific CPAT workouts? Right now I'm doing your standard running and weight lifting but I'd love to hear from people who are doing other workouts.
    Personally weight lifting wise I'm about the same as I always did, about an hour of lifting 3-5x a week. I run anywhere from 4-5 miles 3-5x a week. I want to up that to at least 6 miles per run. And I do the step mill for 20 minutes at 80 steps per minute 3-5x a week. But I don't do it with a vest on. When I go to my parents to do laundry I go up and down their stairs with a weight vest on. My biggest problem is getting back into a consistent schedule. Also by my house a gym is offering FDNY Physical exam prep courses so I'm going to look into that. But I don't want to sigh up for that until I know my score and list number. If I have no hope of being hired I have better use of my money.

  13. #2433
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bensonhurstlovesme View Post
    i dont know why anyone listened to those racist vulcan *******s anyway.
    they probably bull****ted the whites and told the minorities the real answers.
    they took your money either way. i paid for a prep book that was inaccurate as well but i got mine off amazon for 15 bucks. no much of a loss there. i feel bad for those of you who spent hundreds on the vulcan society prep.
    honest question, what made you guys think they were any different then any other prep? if anything, as a NON-minority, i would not trust them.
    You my friend sound like a racist. Also the vulcans test prep was twenty dollars for two sessions. No one knows how the test is going to be graded. So RELAX.

  14. #2434
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    533

    Default

    Hoping to help railroad this thread to the topic of training haha. It is basically the only way we are gonna stay sane during the long waiting periods after all.

    Common theory is you should be comfortable running at least 5 miles a day at 8 minute miles for the academy. So, since I heard that I've been going 6 miles 2-3 times a week at a ~7:05-7:15 minute pace. Im lucky enough to live right next to Randalls island and get to run around the academy 1.5 mile qualifying course before I head back over the bridge. Sometimes I'll bike around the whole island for a lower impact aerobic workout (but its mainly an excuse to see the Rock and get motivated).

    As far as strength training, I just quit my gym a couple weeks ago with the intent of forcing myself to do more high rep stuff. Before is was all bench, skull crunch, heavy curls, etc, and it was great for power. But logically who cares if you can knock out 15 reps of 225 lbs on the bench if you weigh 225 lbs and end up ruining your knees in the academy. So now its all push-ups, chin-ups, pull-ups, crunches/ bicycles/ leglifts, dips, and low weight curls. That once a week combined with the 6 mile runs 2-3 times a week and I hope to get down to 185-190 lbs by academy. Already dropped 10 pounds off my 225 so on the right track.

    I just know I'll be having a much better time at the academy if im not lugging around 30 extra pounds of meat.

  15. #2435
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    142

    Default

    Hey River that's a great pace for those long runs, did you used to be a cross country runner or something? Can I ask how you got to that point? Growing up I was never a runner but I just got into it about 2 years ago. I can do the 5 mile distance runs but my times come in at about 8:40 per mile. When I do the 1.5 miler I can log about an 11:15 if I go 110%. Any tips on how to cut the time on those long runs? I kind of hit a plateau with my times 6 months ago and can't get past this point. I used to do interval sprints at the track but I have slacked in the past couple of months on those.

  16. #2436
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CableGuy516 View Post
    Hey River that's a great pace for those long runs, did you used to be a cross country runner or something? Can I ask how you got to that point? Growing up I was never a runner but I just got into it about 2 years ago. I can do the 5 mile distance runs but my times come in at about 8:40 per mile. When I do the 1.5 miler I can log about an 11:15 if I go 110%. Any tips on how to cut the time on those long runs? I kind of hit a plateau with my times 6 months ago and can't get past this point. I used to do interval sprints at the track but I have slacked in the past couple of months on those.
    Honestly this might sound crazy but I was closer to 8 minute miles when I was running only 2.5 miles at a time. After I heard the 5 mile a day in the academy thing I just said &^%$ it and tryed to go 6 miles (never having done more the 3 miles at a time even with high school and college sports).

    So after a couple weeks and like 5-6 runs at 6 miles the time just jumped up (or down) to ~7 minute miles. Im guessing the 2-3 mile runs i was doing just werent continuous or long enough to make any real difference on my aerobic ability/ time. Like benching 3 reps at a time and wondering why your weight never goes up. I guess the idea is just get out there and run 5-6 miles and stick with it even if your pace is slow, eventually your time will just fall off.

  17. #2437
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    463

    Default

    First of all I want to say what's up to everyone and congrats to everyone who feels they did good on the test. I came across this forum by mistake but glad I did because I'm sure everyone here is on the same boat as me. I was a former 6019 candidate standing in the low 1800's and finished the whole process so for everyone from 6019 waiting to get on and gotten screwed, I feel your pain...

    Now back to business, exam 2000 score so far... 1 NC ( which I'm 99.9999% sure it will get turned over) and 8 PC on the personality part which most on my part felt unfair to some or most of us. Oh yea plus residency credit. OH Snap I just got my first post! Lol
    nycthirteen likes this.

  18. #2438
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    191

    Default

    River, those really are some great times. Sh*t man, I run marathons and my 6 mile times are nowhere close to being that good.

    My two cents - training for the Rock and not the CPAT sounds like a good idea, but I've heard from several sources who have gone through the process that keeping your heart rate down on the stairmaster, while wearing the vest, is not as easy as it might sound. It's not just about completing the exercise, but keeping your hr down. In the last few months I've taken to wearing my vest with anywhere from 20-30 lbs whenever I do CrossFit WOD's or whenever I go out for 3-4 mile runs. Just getting used to the weight for both the vest on the CPAT, as well as (hopefully) geared up at the Rock.

    As for run times actually at the Academy, I've never heard of anyone needing to run a fast pace on any of those runs. This isn't Marines OCS - if you are averaging 9 min/mile at the academy, from all accounts you should be good to go.

    And Merritt, congrats on a kick-***** score. Fingers crossed for you to be in the first class - it'll be great to know that some of us from 6019 will get in the door as soon as it opens.

  19. #2439
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nycthirteen View Post
    As for run times actually at the Academy, I've never heard of anyone needing to run a fast pace on any of those runs. This isn't Marines OCS - if you are averaging 9 min/mile at the academy, from all accounts you should be good to go.
    Where did you hear this if you don't mind my asking? I believe someone (maybe Irish6019?) had said 5 miles at an 8 min pace earlier in this thread. Perhaps bam or one of our OTJ guys can help us out on this one?

    River, weren't you afraid of wear and tear injuries jumping your runs up from 2-3 miles to 6 miles overnight? I've read that you shouldn't go up more than 10% in distance a week to avoid stress injuries. You must have a tough body!

  20. #2440
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    5

    Default

    So I had my review the other day. Perfect score on the first part, but 14 pc on the back end. I do have 5 points residency. Think I still stand a chance? Was really disappointed to be honest, but you never know. I have a high pd list number so I'll survive I guess ha
    nycthirteen likes this.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 63 users browsing this thread. (15 members and 48 guests)

  1. 4040clubBouncer,
  2. BklynFDNY89,
  3. bkopie,
  4. chadxmerch,
  5. CleverJ,
  6. dem7191,
  7. Gheech,
  8. k20dc2,
  9. Manhattan Medic,
  10. Matador611,
  11. nptks,
  12. ready4fire,
  13. SIFire,
  14. TheBrooklynKid,
  15. tmccormack24

Similar Threads

  1. FDNY Medical Exam
    By FDNY78 in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-13-2014, 08:46 PM
  2. Remember The Brothers 9-11-01
    By E40FDNYL35 in forum The 9-11 Tragedy
    Replies: 127
    Last Post: 09-12-2013, 04:08 AM
  3. Fdny exam
    By ffkisselstein in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 12:43 PM
  4. Firefighters Betrayed
    By Nail200 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 259
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 03:11 PM
  5. No Firefighter Should Ever Die Again
    By blancety in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 280
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 11:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts