Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 123 of 1019 FirstFirst ... 2373113120121122123124125126133173223623 ... LastLast
Results 2,441 to 2,460 of 20375
Like Tree7736Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CableGuy516 View Post
    Where did you hear this if you don't mind my asking? I believe someone (maybe Irish6019?) had said 5 miles at an 8 min pace earlier in this thread. Perhaps bam or one of our OTJ guys can help us out on this one?

River, weren't you afraid of wear and tear injuries jumping your runs up from 2-3 miles to 6 miles overnight? I've read that you shouldn't go up more than 10% in distance a week to avoid stress injuries. You must have a tough body!
    None of my friends or family on the job, including my brother or anyone in his house, ran faster than that. The runs at the academy (in their experience) were almost all group runs that were not at an insane pace. I am more than happy to be corrected by anyone OTJ.

Forum Member

Thanks Nyc13 and cableguy haha, I take a lot of vitamins and booze enough to kill off the weak cells haha. Main motivation is 90% of the people in academy are gonna be younger than me. The idea of being over 30 and having to keep up with a bunch of kid's in their 20's has me terrified enough to push it that extra bit.

Welcome Jukez, what took you so long?! Jonnybones, unless they handle the personality section like the Philly test where its its own separate test (which I pray to God they dont) I wouldnt stress about dropping 12 PC on section 5, it will probably only ding you 3 points total, and you might even get a few of those back after protests.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnybones View Post
    So I had my review the other day. Perfect score on the first part, but 14 pc on the back end. I do have 5 points residency. Think I still stand a chance? Was really disappointed to be honest, but you never know. I have a high pd list number so I'll survive I guess ha
    I'm in the same boat as you. Perfect score on the first part but 12 partials on the personality. I felt those were bogus and I'm really praying most of those get transferred over to full after the protest. Also I have the 5pts residency. I swear after getting over 100 on 6019 this is the last thing I'd ever thought I'd have to stress over. Good luck to us all, Lord knows we need it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nycthirteen View Post
    River, those really are some great times. Sh*t man, I run marathons and my 6 mile times are nowhere close to being that good.

My two cents - training for the Rock and not the CPAT sounds like a good idea, but I've heard from several sources who have gone through the process that keeping your heart rate down on the stairmaster, while wearing the vest, is not as easy as it might sound. It's not just about completing the exercise, but keeping your hr down. In the last few months I've taken to wearing my vest with anywhere from 20-30 lbs whenever I do CrossFit WOD's or whenever I go out for 3-4 mile runs. Just getting used to the weight for both the vest on the CPAT, as well as (hopefully) geared up at the Rock.

As for run times actually at the Academy, I've never heard of anyone needing to run a fast pace on any of those runs. This isn't Marines OCS - if you are averaging 9 min/mile at the academy, from all accounts you should be good to go.

And Merritt, congrats on a kick-***** score. Fingers crossed for you to be in the first class - it'll be great to know that some of us from 6019 will get in the door as soon as it opens.
    Appreciate it, just hope its good enough...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sffdnyhopeful09 View Post
    I'm in the same boat as you. Perfect score on the first part but 12 partials on the personality. I felt those were bogus and I'm really praying most of those get transferred over to full after the protest. Also I have the 5pts residency. I swear after getting over 100 on 6019 this is the last thing I'd ever thought I'd have to stress over. Good luck to us all, Lord knows we need it.
    What was your list number on 6019 if you don't mind me asking

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ICNYC View Post
    What was your list number on 6019 if you don't mind me asking
    I was 1102.

Forum Member

I was informed that I needed to show up for the run and just a few hours later the class was shelved because of the fine judge.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sffdnyhopeful09 View Post
    I was informed that I needed to show up for the run and just a few hours later the class was shelved because of the fine judge.
    That makes two of us.. Ive never been so disappointed in my life. Talk about putting everything on hold.
    sffdnyhopeful09 likes this.
    FDNY Exam 6019 List# 14XX.
    Lawsuit Victim: Completed process, cancelled academy.

FDNY Exam 2000 List# 6XX.

Forum Member

So I went to review the other day and I got 2 wrong and 15 pc I hope the residency credit will cover the 2 wrong. Hope I'm still in the game I was devastated when I saw the two I had gotten wrong.
    Last edited by FutureFirefighter2000; 05-17-2012 at 07:46 PM.

Forum Member

All the scores coming in I'm getting nervous with my 2 wrong/6 partial credits now. Thank god I still have my residency points.

Forum Member

There's one thing to remember guys, not every single person taking this test spent all the time that each one of us did studying, researching, covering every single aspect of all parts of the test. Everyone here might have scored pretty good but that doesnt mean that every other person would be the same, i'm new to this forum but by just looking back a good few pages i can tell that mostly everyone here did everything they could to score good on this test so ofcourse you going to see some competitive scores but thats only 20 people tops. It can go either way, it all depends on how much the personality part is going to be worth. It can easily be 20,30 maybe 40 percent OR it can also be easily 90! (i really hope to god is not lol) SNAP my second post! lol ( last time im doing that)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    There are qualifier questions in these things.
    I do not lie.
    If you answered SA or A. Guess what? You're lying.
    Everybody lies. White lies. Small lies. Big lies. Fish tales. Sea stories.
    -Does my butt look big in this dress?
    -Absolutely not! (rolling eyes)
    You just lied. No one goes through life without telling some kind of lie here and there.
    This would actually warrant a D because if you go SD, you're flat out saying in your profile that you lie all the time. It's a fine line in some of these.

I have never stolen.
    You probably have. Inadvertently if not intentionally. Paper supplies, pens, etc from the office.
    Yes. Technically stealing.

That's my take. These tests have been around for awhile. It's only just now that we (FDNY) are seeing it used.

Again, you've got to stop speculating. You'll get nowhere and give yourself an ulcer. That won't do well when it comes to the medical

Hang tough.
    I just got back from the review and some of the questions that they considered full credit were obvious outright lies, but it was full credit. So do you think they will penalize people who seem to be lying, it doesn't seem so.

Did every one have about the same number of psych questions.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 05-17-2012 at 09:24 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Reverse View Post
    On my way home from it as we speak. One partial and one wrong in the first part with two protests and 3 partial on the psych with two protests, okay with it see where it goes
    That is really good, congrats.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MerritMatters View Post
    Agreed, lets move on. Someone mentioned lights weights (10lbs) with a lot of repetition and long runs so theirs a great way to start...
    That seems incredibly light. I would do pull ups/chins, dips/push ups and running at least. lower body seems even more needed but if you don't have a vest other options exist.

Forum Member

the handful of guys OTJ i have spoken to about the academy all say the same thing, run, run run....strong legs, cardio endurance, and the dumbbells at the academy won't be over 10lbs....doesnt mean the dumbbell work is easy, they have ways of making 10lbs feel a lot heavier.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    You'll hear this often, but that's because it's true....train for the academy, not the CPAT. In my experience the CPAT is not very difficult. Lots of leg work, and using a weighted vest on stairs should be enough prep. The key is to get yourself to a point physically where once you get off that step mill your tank isn't empty.

For now I do something very similar to crossfit (but less Olympic lifting, more cardio driven) 4 days a week, and get some lifting in 2 days a week to keep the major muscle groups strong. No running yet. I hate running, and will put that off for now.

I didn't see this post before making my last post. I do all the major lifts as well minus the oly lifts and not crossfit. I have a vest but haven't used it much yet. I would like to try some 20 rep squats but have still been working on my low bar form. My dead lift has been my recent obsession.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    the handful of guys OTJ i have spoken to about the academy all say the same thing, run, run run....strong legs, cardio endurance, and the dumbbells at the academy won't be over 10lbs....doesnt mean the dumbbell work is easy, they have ways of making 10lbs feel a lot heavier.
    Yeah didn't realize thats what you meant. I wonder what they have you do with them?

Forum Member

Hey Fellas,
    As long as we're talking about running and getting fit, I ran track and xc in high school and college, and now am a pretty competitive marathoner (2:30 is my best time) and coach a group of about 15 runners as a part time gig.

I'd be more than happy to hook people up with some training plans, pro bono, or answer any questions about building up mileage, speed work, shoes, losing weight, whatever. Not trying to show off or make myself the expert or anything, but running's been my thing for a long time and I'm more than happy to share my knowledge with everyone who's interested. PM me or post questions here if you have any.
    HopefulFF and FDNYPD like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    second class with 6 wrong and 14pc?!?! WTF!?! I'd get real comfortable at my current job if I was you.
    Lol this guy is worse then me.
    At least I don't get personal

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    C'mon, real talk! Its this everyone gets a trophy, coddle little johnny, pc mentality that got us into this mess in the first place. Let's be realistic here, I haven't even heard of anybody getting near 6 wrong on the vids/comp. His chances are slim, If I were him I'd be writing Garaufis letters praying he makes the list a lottery.
    I may be late commenting on this ******bag but let's get something straight you dick face.
    What crawled up your mothers *** and died when she was pregnant with you?
    We're all trying to get on the same team here, grow up.
    Last edited by bensonhurstlovesme; 05-17-2012 at 09:42 PM.

Thread Information