Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 127 of 1161 FirstFirst ... 27771171241251261271281291301371772276271127 ... LastLast
Results 2,521 to 2,540 of 23219
Like Tree9089Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Just finished. 2nc and 9pc. I guess all those x girlfriends were rite about my sh***Y personality

Forum Member

All I know is that after acing the first 4 parts, I'll be one ****ed mofo if I don't get on the job because "I lose things much less than others" lol.

Forum Member

Does anyone know how the list works if your under 21? Do they just skip over you? or are you just called to the first class available after you turn 21? Also, am I the only one that thinks it's complete BS that volunteers don't get any extra credit?

Forum Member

Sdeluca they will make you go through the whole process and put you on hold till you reached the required age to get in the academy. About the volunteer part, i dont want to offend anyone here or anyone whos family member, close friend or what lever but no I don't think is BS, there's not much requirements to be a volunteer firefighter so to me there's no reason on why they should, actually most volunteers that I seen are obesed or close to it. Just my opinion anyways others can think differently.
    My1Goal likes this.

Forum Member

Ok thanks, that cleared up a lot.
    On the volunteer thing, I mean your right on some aspects but most of the young guys like me are in shape, and are the ones taking the test. And I mean you get points for living in the city, but no points for already being trained and experienced as a firefighter? Doesn't make sense to me but it is what it is I guess

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rpnyc1 View Post
    Hey Fellas,
    As long as we're talking about running and getting fit, I ran track and xc in high school and college, and now am a pretty competitive marathoner (2:30 is my best time) and coach a group of about 15 runners as a part time gig.

I'd be more than happy to hook people up with some training plans, pro bono, or answer any questions about building up mileage, speed work, shoes, losing weight, whatever. Not trying to show off or make myself the expert or anything, but running's been my thing for a long time and I'm more than happy to share my knowledge with everyone who's interested. PM me or post questions here if you have any.
    Awesome, Thanks for sharing with us, it's good to know we have someone on here with your background.

I just recently started running again, I'm keeping it short for now (around three miles) until I feel comfortable enough to get back into the longer distances. Do you have a basic plan that you follow for building mileage while minimizing the risk of stress injuries?

What's your opinion on pose/minimalist running?

Also, I see we have some crossfit guys on here, check out this guys website http://www.mobilitywod.com/ he posts daily mobility workouts that are designed to prevent injury and improve performance. The dude is a physical therapist and owns a crossfit gym, he really knows his stuff.
    Last edited by dkjets75; 05-19-2012 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sdeluca1993 View Post
    Ok thanks, that cleared up a lot.
    On the volunteer thing, I mean your right on some aspects but most of the young guys like me are in shape, and are the ones taking the test. And I mean you get points for living in the city, but no points for already being trained and experienced as a firefighter? Doesn't make sense to me but it is what it is I guess
    That's right. We don't care. That's why you go to the academy.
    There is no other department out there that gives "extra credit" for being a certified firefighter.

Meanwhile, yes. I believe that's what is done. You advance through the process, but not offered the job until you turn 21.

Forum Member

Yea seriously I agree with you 100%. If I don't get on because I don't study more than 8hrs a week for my current job(doorman on the upper east side) some heads are gonna roll. You had to be an epic liar to ace the personality. All that advice about not overselling yourself really bit me in the ***. After acing the actual test part of the exam I'm still even more paranoid than I was before. I keep telling myself just keep training but I can't shake the feeling that this can end up being all for nothing all over again. Like I said before best of luck to us all, Lord knows we need it.
    Last edited by sffdnyhopeful09; 05-19-2012 at 05:52 PM.
    Jukez likes this.

Forum Member

What gets to me is that ALOT of the test takers were in a way forced to take this exam, now people like myself and alot others on this forum who are dying to get a chance at "the best job in the world" get screwed when you have many people getting "lucky" by taking a city test just for the hell of it and scoring high then taking the spots of the guys who really want it.

Forum Member

Gentlemen (and ladies if there are),

I am proposing writing a letter of protest in regards to the personality portion of the exam. I'm not trying to drum undue controversy but after thinking of the fact that there is a psychological portion of the interview process, it seems a bit redundant to have a personality survey as part of the graded exam. I mean, a guy that says he exercises 20 hours a week gets a higher grade because I was honest and stated that I work out 10 hours a week. It's ridiculous to apply a grade to an opinion based survey. I'm intending on showing up at the June 5 Merit Matters meeting and bringing this concern to attention, as I would also like to protest the entire personality portion of the exam. I've wanted this for far too long to see my chances slip away because I don't possess the personality trait to lie on a personality survey. Who's with me?

Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

I know that you told me not to reply to ANY of your posts, but this is just my opinion. Its extremely redundant to protest the exam as of this moment, especially if the judge didn't approve the outcome of this examination. Make a petition letter if you choose to, hold on to it for safe keeping. We are still in the middle of the protest period and for all you know, all or half of the questions you got wrong/partial credit on, may indeed be extinguished for the entire exam. Let's not panic for now let's wait till the tvb makes a first move. Once again just my opinion, no need to offend anyone.

Btw, I had a chance to protest for this exam, but I know many people personally and on this forum who didnt get a chance because psi is now closed to book appointments. I for one am not in favor of psi actions on this matter. I believe people have the right to book an appointment to protest their examination.
    Last edited by Fdnytolife4130; 05-19-2012 at 09:17 PM.

Forum Member

Hey guys first time posting in this thread but ive been lurking since page 4. Just got back from my review and got 2 NC in the first four sections and 13 PC in the last section. Total protested 4. Being that im from florida with no residency credit im not sure if i still have a shot but i will stay positive and hope everyone else does too. If i dont get on with FDNY fire i will give it a shot with FDNY ems since i have my paramedic certificate. Good luck to all!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY2000 View Post

I am proposing writing a letter of protest in regards to the personality portion of the exam. I'm not trying to drum undue controversy but after thinking of the fact that there is a psychological portion of the interview process, it seems a bit redundant to have a personality survey as part of the graded exam. I mean, a guy that says he exercises 20 hours a week gets a higher grade because I was honest and stated that I work out 10 hours a week. It's ridiculous to apply a grade to an opinion based survey. I'm intending on showing up at the June 5 Merit Matters meeting and bringing this concern to attention, as I would also like to protest the entire personality portion of the exam. I've wanted this for far too long to see my chances slip away because I don't possess the personality trait to lie on a personality survey. Who's with me?
    Oh boy here we go.
    Let's all do a favor and not Petiton any protest letters here. The last thing we need to do is make it seem like this test was unfair. Let's not bring any MORE attention to this circus please.
    You don't know how the personality portion is being graded. Who's to say you didn't do a lot better then you thought. You don't know the grading process. Don't put your foot in your mouth
    Last edited by bensonhurstlovesme; 05-19-2012 at 11:29 PM.
    Jukez likes this.

Forum Member

Im down, not sure what we can do but I will sign up and bitch and make a fuss.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 05-21-2012 at 03:57 PM.
    Johnnybones likes this.

Forum Member

And the Vulcans complain when things dont go their way...

Forum Member

I'm not at all saying I think the process has been perfect, but oh man - the last thing I want to do is throw a monkey wrench in it. My opinion, let's just wait and see how it shakes out. If everyone protests until the perfect process has been found, not only are WE never gonna get hired but neither will anyone else for the next decade. I'd prefer to have a list number a few hundred down the line because of an imperfect exam than to protest it loudly vigorously and risk holding up the ENTIRE line indefinitely.
    MFES and sffdnyhopeful09 like this.

Forum Member

I got 0 wrong on the first part & 7 pc on the last part....how is that stacking up sounds about middle of the pack

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by matty21 View Post
    I got 0 wrong on the first part & 7 pc on the last part....how is that stacking up sounds about middle of the pack
    No way man - that puts you way at the front of the pack (if you have residency or vets points). Congrats on a great score.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by matty21 View Post

Seriously bro that is a really good score IMO, it really all depends on how many questions are going to be throwned out or reversed. I'm almost at the same boat as you with 0 nc and 8 PC basically hoping to get some pcs throwned out or the personality section not be weighted so much. None the less congrats you did good bro.

MembersZone Subscriber

Great job matty 21,

I had my review yesterday. Well was scheduled for it but I couldnt make it. I tried to contact someone from psi about that and didn't get much of a positive response to get any sort of insight as to how I did just that I will now have to wait till the protest period is over and maybe till the scores are posted.

Which will suck to have to wait that long. However long that is going to be.

Dont know if anyone wants to share their experience with me about the Hydro Verter test that would be awesome. I can remember alot of the questions but only a couple had my mind occupied with worry.

So if anyone would like to help me that would be awesome. I thought I read FDNYPD had the same test and people PM'd him. Maybe you all would/could PM me?..?? That would be awesome.

Thanks all.

MWR

Thread Information