Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 128 of 1162 FirstFirst ... 28781181251261271281291301311381782286281128 ... LastLast
Results 2,541 to 2,560 of 23227
Like Tree9095Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey guys, I was on a deployment and got back the other day. Been roaming the boards the past couple pages, did you only receive your tentative results if you were present at the review/protest? or did everyone receive their scores via postal service?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sdeluca1993 View Post
    Does anyone know how the list works if your under 21? Do they just skip over you? or are you just called to the first class available after you turn 21? Also, am I the only one that thinks it's complete BS that volunteers don't get any extra credit?
    You may not be the only one who thinks its bs that volunteers dont get any extra credit, there are a lot of morons out there.
    SkylinePCG likes this.

Forum Member

I was kinda bummed with my 2nc and 9pc. I thought I would have done a little better. Couldn't really protest my questions because they were blatantly obvious probably just a victim of psyching myself out and watching the clock. Iam hoping my 10 points will be enough to pull me through. Did anyone have exam D? If so pm me I have a question

Quote Originally Posted by LongCut View Post
    You may not be the only one who thinks its bs that volunteers dont get any extra credit, there are a lot of morons out there.
    Again? Really?!
    The only ones who deserve any kind of extra credit are the veterans and those with legacy credit, and God bless those, because it's certainly not how anyone would want to qualify.
    Just because you have experience elsewhere doesn't qualify you to any extra credit or allow you to waltz into our job where we have to erase your bad habits.

(And I came here from elsewhere - 1. I did not expect any extra credit or treatment. 2. I had to be a clean slate and learn to do things "our way".)

Don't come here expecting preferrential treatment from day one. It reeks of a certain fraternal society.
    Last edited by ffbam24; 05-20-2012 at 02:50 PM.

Forum Member

But then why should someone living in the 5 borough's get 5 points extra credit? For what reason? They didn't earn it, they are just living in a certain area. It's giving an unfair advantage for no good reason, i'm not asking for an advantage i'm just asking for a level playing field.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    Again? Really?!
    The only ones who deserve any kind of extra credit are the veterans and those with legacy credit, and God bless those, because it's certainly not how anyone would want to qualify.
    Just because you have experience elsewhere doesn't qualify you to any extra credit or allow you to waltz into our job where we have to erase your bad habits.

(And I came here from elsewhere - 1. I did not expect any extra credit or treatment. 2. I had to be a clean slate and learn to do things "our way".)

Don't come here expecting preferrential treatment from day one. It reeks of a certain fraternal society.
    haha whoops sorry i guess i wrote my post pretty poorly. I was trying to say you'd have to be a moron to expect extra credit for being a volunteer. sorry... Too much sun and beer after a memorial run today and im still checking this forum in the car on my way home.
    ffbam24 likes this.

Forum Member

It would be nice for volunteer credit. It would also be nice for out of state credit, college credit, left handed credit, etc. The residency credit can help improve unemployment in that area. Be happy it's just credit they get, Pittsburgh Bureau of Fire you have to be a resident to APPLY not just to get the job. It sucks that I can't claim any credit, but I'm cool with vet points, those guys/girls put their asses on the line for all of us here.

Has anyone heard if its possible to find out what you missed if you can't make the review? Either have them email what you missed or I you can call them?

Nice job to everyone who did well on the test
    nycthirteen and Desire4theJob like this.

Forum Member

I went to the review Friday morning. I thought it was well run, just as I thought the test was well run.

I received 2 NC and 2 PC (the personality portion.) I protested 1 NC and 1 PC. I do have residency.

Just a thought. None of this really means too much just yet. The final answer key is not even completed. Neither PSI or DCAS has said how the exam will be scored, meaning we have no idea how the sections of the exam will be weighted. And of course, the Judge still has to review of the results of this exam and approve them. Anything can happen.
    Last edited by Minerva; 05-21-2012 at 07:39 AM.

eZc
    Forum Member

good luck all, and thanks for sharing info.
    I cannot claim any extra points this time (was a resident for 6019, but since moved by the time 2000 came around). Did not attend the question protest sessions, but hope the best for all of us. Mostly lurk on the boards, but as this is really the main place I go for info/updates, just givin a thank-you to the posters here for keeping the information flowing.

Forum Member

Hey guys,

It's my first time applying for the FDNY and just wanted to say thanks to all the guys that have been through the process before that are giving advise and answering questions. I know its a very lengthy process and was just wondering if any of you had the same problem that i did. I took my test on March 22nd at the Boston test site, yet when i call DCAS for any information, their automated system says i havent even taken the exam yet. Did anyone else have this problem? Also, sry to ask again if this question has already been answered, but how long does it usually take to get the results of the written after you take the exam? do you get a list number before the CPAT and then they adjust it afterwards?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY2000 View Post
    Gentlemen (and ladies if there are),

I am proposing writing a letter of protest in regards to the personality portion of the exam. I'm not trying to drum undue controversy but after thinking of the fact that there is a psychological portion of the interview process, it seems a bit redundant to have a personality survey as part of the graded exam. I mean, a guy that says he exercises 20 hours a week gets a higher grade because I was honest and stated that I work out 10 hours a week. It's ridiculous to apply a grade to an opinion based survey. I'm intending on showing up at the June 5 Merit Matters meeting and bringing this concern to attention, as I would also like to protest the entire personality portion of the exam. I've wanted this for far too long to see my chances slip away because I don't possess the personality trait to lie on a personality survey. Who's with me?
    Couldn't agree more

Forum Member

Hey i have a question regarding military service and getting hired. do you think someone who doesn't have a military backround has a good shot of getting hired? or does the extra 5 points really go a long way?

also is it too late to apply for residency after you have taken the test?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY2000 View Post
    Gentlemen (and ladies if there are),

I am proposing writing a letter of protest in regards to the personality portion of the exam. I'm not trying to drum undue controversy but after thinking of the fact that there is a psychological portion of the interview process, it seems a bit redundant to have a personality survey as part of the graded exam. I mean, a guy that says he exercises 20 hours a week gets a higher grade because I was honest and stated that I work out 10 hours a week. It's ridiculous to apply a grade to an opinion based survey. I'm intending on showing up at the June 5 Merit Matters meeting and bringing this concern to attention, as I would also like to protest the entire personality portion of the exam. I've wanted this for far too long to see my chances slip away because I don't possess the personality trait to lie on a personality survey. Who's with me?
    What's the deal with the merrit matters meetings? Just discussing any concerns and what not?

Quote Originally Posted by MZigross View Post
    Hey guys, I was on a deployment and got back the other day. Been roaming the boards the past couple pages, did you only receive your tentative results if you were present at the review/protest? or did everyone receive their scores via postal service?
    Only those who attended review sessions recieved their results, and when I say results I mean they were told which questions they got wrong not a number score but you probably know that. It doesn't appear that will get a written score and number until late summer at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop123 View Post
    Hey i have a question regarding military service and getting hired. do you think someone who doesn't have a military backround has a good shot of getting hired? or does the extra 5 points really go a long way?

also is it too late to apply for residency after you have taken the test?
    Who the heck knows whats going to happen with this test but in the past its as competitive as any civil service test out there, so yes every point is important. If you didn't live in the five boroughs between July 2010 - June 2011 then you don't qualify for residency. If you did then you may be able to call DCAS or PSI and have the points added.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by myles8683 View Post
    I was kinda bummed with my 2nc and 9pc. I thought I would have done a little better. Couldn't really protest my questions because they were blatantly obvious probably just a victim of psyching myself out and watching the clock. Iam hoping my 10 points will be enough to pull me through. Did anyone have exam D? If so pm me I have a question
    I had exam C and I made 2 absolutely ridiculous errors I am still shaking my head at it. I only got like 3 or 4 PCs on the rest of the exam though. Still ****ed at myself though. Top 700 on 6019 and I'm probably going to be like 30,000 on this crap.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    I had exam C and I made 2 absolutely ridiculous errors I am still shaking my head at it. I only got like 3 or 4 PCs on the rest of the exam though. Still ****ed at myself though. Top 700 on 6019 and I'm probably going to be like 30,000 on this crap.
    6 PCs on the whole exam? 30K? You're lucky if you're 42,162! =]

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    6 PCs on the whole exam? 30K? You're lucky if you're 42,162! =]
    Appreciate that one.....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    Lol, dude I'd say you'll be in top 1000 if anything. People would kill to have done as well as you, bro.
    6019- was sitting at 13xx
    2000- now sitting at 18xx

For those of you considering or thinking that writing a letter a protest is a good idea: Don't.

You only have a breakdown of the answer key. You have no clue how this will be scored. Why would you protest something that you don't even know the final results?

Tests like this have been around in fire service testing for ten years now. Unfortunately, they already hold up in court. You don't want to bog down your process in any way. Leave that to the VS and JG.

Does it suck? Yes. These mini-psychs are the make-or-break of a ordinarily straight forward test.
    If you can, come to the meeting Paul Mannix is having June 5th to voice your concern and unite as a group.
    My1Goal likes this.

Thread Information