Like Tree9531Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Seems like we are getting closer to getting our scores back! With the statistics in the above article about how many passed and the breakdown of gender/ethnicity, I'm pretty confident the "courts" will approve this test.

Here's to hoping we all got a 97 or higher!
    vekdoggs75 and emtnyc2012 like this.

Forum Member

I wonder if that 97 is factoring in city residency points.

And I wonder what happened to questions we protested, are they factored in do we find out if our protest went through ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    I wonder if that 97 is factoring in city residency points

I wondered that too, but I would think it has to unless PSI created an exam with a perfect score above 100.

Forum Member

Seems like great news and that everything will be moving forward soon. I'm a bit annoyed that my SSN score would probably cost me a few hundred spots but hopefully a get a decent enough score for it not to matter much.

Gimmiefire, can you link us to that PSI court doc? I'm not too busy at work and wouldn't mind scanning through it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    Seems like great news and that everything will be moving forward soon. I'm a bit annoyed that my SSN score would probably cost me a few hundred spots but hopefully a get a decent enough score for it not to matter much.

Gimmiefire, can you link us to that PSI court doc? I'm not too busy at work and wouldn't mind scanning through it.
    I was going to ask the same thing, I'd also like to see the numbering factor they put in.

Forum Member

Those scores are factoring in all bonus points and changes made after the protest session.

Can't link it. Just google access to court docs, fyi its not free.

Forum Member

I got a bad feeling about this. How do almost 10,000 people get 97 or over? How can you make a subjective opinion portion of a test 50% of the final grade?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bellestoria View Post
    I got a bad feeling about this. How do almost 10,000 people get 97 or over? How can you make a subjective opinion portion of a test 50% of the final grade?
    With the amount of people that took the exam, fact that the test was as simple as it was and of course factoring bonus points, I actually expected slightly more people with better scores.

On the subjective stuff, they're are departments that only grade you on the subjective questions.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bellestoria View Post
    Yeah I was deff expecting more as well. It also seems like the proportion of white to minorities who scored above 97 is about equal to the proportion of white to minorities who took the exam to begin with. I dont think anyone should really complain about that. Seems fair to all.

It seems like if you have half a brain and residency or veteren points you are basically in.

Forum Member

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what our List #s are before getting too worked up about it.

I don't want to start an argument, but can you explain how the racial % of candidates taking the exam matching up with the % that scored 97 or better means the test is fair to all?

Doesnt this kind of make it seem that the scores were manipulated to match the desired outcome?

Forum Member

Yeah I know what you mean but at the same time it could have easily been worse. I honestly was expecting their to be more minorities scoring higher than 97. I believe they said over 5000 of the 9400canindates are white. We have to live with that number.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JerkAlert View Post
    Get ready guys. After us EMS guys go in you're all def going. I started the CPAT prep at the rock. Its fun. As per the LTs of the fitness staff they are going to be starting a class of 300+ ems Jan 14th (with judges ok) and like Manhattan Medic stated, if they can they will have another full class of EMS after that in July but most likely it will be mixed with EMS and OC. He said that they will be putting classes of 300 in every 5 months for AT LEAST the next 2 to 3 years. We have waited long enough and I know its hard to fall for the hype after all everyone has been through but I think this is it. Instructors at The Rock are dead serious about everyone getting in shape NOW and they offer everyone so much help and opportunity to improve. Take advantage of it!
    Greatest post of this thread so far. You just made my day Jerk Alert. Thank You.

Forum Member

Hey guys, Just wanted to throw out some food for thought...I took the Philly Fire dept exam last year and it had similar results (800 or more people with a score of 100) I didn't do too well, but the city wanted to hire all vets so they called me in front of people with higher scores because the city apparently got funding from the fed. govt. to hire vets..

Don't know if they will do a similar situation here, perhaps banding..because banding seems to be a middle ground ( not hiring 3 minorities for every white) but it seems like Philly did the same thing by dumbing the test down to let people who wouldn't have a chance, a chance...and the personality test is subjective...so just because you answered how YOU are, or how you think they wanted you to answer..they can skew those results however they want to get the desired results..

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    ..they can skew those results however they want to get the desired results..
    Exactly.....how is this not something that has the potential for Disparate Impact on certain groups?

Forum Member

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...284051198.html

This article is pretty in depth, apparently the Vulcans have "approved" the results and are asking Garaufis to do so as well. This should all happen pretty quickly.
    HopefulFF likes this.

Forum Member

Did PSI give a breakdown of how they scored the personality section?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kd44 View Post
    Did PSI give a breakdown of how they scored the personality section?
    Well from what it was said earlier today the personality portion is 50% of the whole test. There were around 81 personality questions 50/81 = .617 per question. Now my problem is how much is PC according to them. It can be 1/4 of the whole or I can easily be 3/4. So a person who has 10 PC on the personality section, aced the other knowledge section and has residency credit can easily get over 100.
    kd44 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    Well from what it was said earlier today the personality portion is 50% of the whole test. There were around 81 personality questions 50/81 = .617 per question. Now my problem is how much is PC according to them. It can be 1/4 of the whole or I can easily be 3/4. So a person who has 10 PC on the personality section, aced the other knowledge section and has residency credit can easily get over 100.
    I have like 15 PC, I am screwed. I'm bet all the difficult questions on the academic part of the test were thrown out. I guess the CPAT is my last chance to shine.

Forum Member

It's funny that all this stuff is coming out right after the filing period for EMT/Paramedic ended. I have a feeling a whole lot of people are going to be moving towards EMS so that they can try again in 4 years.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    I have like 15 PC, I am screwed. I'm bet all the difficult questions on the academic part of the test were thrown out. I guess the CPAT is my last chance to shine.
    Don't count yourself out yet. We don't know what's going to happen

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    Nothing to worry about just yet bro, out of those 15, 10 of them can be taken out from the protest review. Even with those 15 PC lets say each is worth half a credit you will lose 4.6 roughly. I don't know how well you did on the rest but let's say you lost 1 point for the rest. That still puts you over the 97 mark.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    Nothing to worry about just yet bro, out of those 15, 10 of them can be taken out from the protest review. Even with those 15 PC lets say each is worth half a credit you will lose 4.6 roughly. I don't know how well you did on the rest but let's say you lost 1 point for the rest. That still puts you over the 97 mark.
    What in the world is a PC? and how do you know many you have? im so confused lol

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by knicksh2o View Post
    What in the world is a PC? and how do you know many you have? im so confused lol
    From this question I know you didn't go to the protest review section lol. PC is partial credit for the personality questions. There were no wrong answers in that section, you either got PC or FC (full credit lol) so we are just assuming what Percent the PC of a question could be.
    vekdoggs75 and knicksh2o like this.

Forum Member
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

It still makes me wonder how the video and reading will be scored. Any ideas anyone?
    Test 2000
    Score 97
    List#700X
    Do I stand a chance?

I will not tire, I will not falter, and I will not fail!!!

Forum Member

What do you guys think the list cut off number will be if they put in the 300 every 5 months for the duration of the list being valid? 3500-4000? higher maybe?

Thread Information