Like Tree9514Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

The company that provided a practice exam, at fee, over the internet, is Fire Team. The exam cost something like $21.00 to take. I believe you get two tries.

http://www.fireteamtest.com/

From my current understanding, their exam is different from the one that PSI is putting together. I have searched high and low and have not been able to locate any firefighter entrance exam, that PSI designed, with a video portion.

My personal feeling is that the City, the Judge, and PSI want there to be as little time possible, before the exam, for people to study.

So thus far, from what I can see with PSI exams, they include basic reading comprehension, basic mechanical comprehension, basic math comprehension, report interpretation and work orientation questions.

The rumor for this new exam is that there will be several videos, that we will view and answer questions on.

We will know more when they finally open up the website in early December, with the materials we need to study. From what I can tell, PSI is straight forward and will tell us exactly what we need to know and study to be prepared. In my opinion, 30 days is a long time to prepare.

Personally, the type of math that's been discussed here, it's not that difficult. More likely, it has to do with the fact that most people have not done this type of math since high school and/or college.

Arco has a book out called "Master the Firefighter exam." I think it's good. Also, they have several books that cover basic math, reading, reasoning, mechanical and spatial relations.

Some points to ponder:

It doesn't matter that there's 60,000 people. Ignore them. Focus on what you can do to get yourself prepared for this exam. Leave no stone unturned, so that when the exam comes, you'll know there was nothing more, within your power, that you could have done to be ready.

Begin to get your documents together now. Collect job history. Collect college history. Collect references. Put it all in a safe place, together. This way, when the time comes, you can easily get things notarized, or whatever else they want us to do. The residency points are going to be even more important this time around.

Start focusing now. Set aside time to study, read, run and so on. Stay out of trouble. A clean record means no needless worrying.

At some point, something is going to give. I know it's difficult to see. A class of firefighters has not been hired by the City in over three years. OT is high. There's a good chance we might not see anyone hired until 2013. I don't know what's going to give, but something will. Be ready for when it does.

There current members who went through this in the 80's when the women sued the fire department. Some waited 7 or 8 years, but they made it. A lot of us will too. You have to believe.

Live life. Enjoy being healthy. Enjoy the people you love. Learn. Have fun. Take care of life one day at a time. None of that means we have to forget our dream.
    Last edited by Minerva; 01-12-2013 at 10:30 AM.

Forum Member

Great post man, and thanks for the link.

I wonder if they're gonna throw a memory portion on there?

Forum Member

Minerva your posts are always awesome. Do you attend the merit matters meetings?
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 09-24-2011 at 11:43 PM.

Forum Member

just read that thanks to Merit Matters, MoH recipient Dakota Meyerers, IS going to be able to put in for the up coming test. One hell of a good job by you guys. tops.

Forum Member

I was just rereading Minervas post and thinking about the video portion of the test he described. I wonder if they will allow us to play the video over again or if we will only be able to view it once.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    I was just rereading Minervas post and thinking about the video portion of the test he described. I wonder if they will allow us to play the video over again or if we will only be able to view it once.
    Most likely not. NJ administered this type of test in October 2010. It's not a difficult test at all...it is just tricky, and you have to answer the way they want you to. Also Alexandria, VA administered a similar test like this too.

Usually this is the part that makes or breaks a candidate, and this is what it usually comes down to.

I've taken both the NJ and Alexandria test, and they did not allow you to review the video. You are also strapped for time, I think like 10 seconds to give the best possible answer out of 4 that are given.

Forum Member

Thanks. Can you give me a made up example of what it was like. I'm trying to imagine how detailed it could be.

Forum Member

Thanks. Can you give me a made up example of what it was like. I'm trying to imagine how detailed it could be.

For example they show a short video of an accident scene. Here is the basic outline:

Car accident with an unconscious patient and female patient with broken arm. FF helping with broken arm patient is ordered to assist with unconscious victim. Husband of broken arm patient gets upset due to the decision to leave him and his wife, and questions the firefighter in a derogatory way. What should the FF do?

A) Tell the man he's not the one making the decisions here
    B) Just ignore him, and go assist others with unconscious patient
    C) Tell the man to talk to the Captain of your Engine Co. who is the one in charge at the scene
    D) Tell the man his wife will get helped, but right now you have to assist with helping the more seriously injured patient.

Obviously the correct answer is D. You don't appear confrontational to the husband, you are just stating the obvious to him.

Answers B & C will receive partial credit because they are not the worst, but not the best answers either.

Answer A is clearly confrontational with the husband and reflects poorly on your people skills.

Forum Member

Thanks for taking the time to type that out. It seems like it is the same kind of question that was traditionally written. Thanks
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 09-26-2011 at 12:53 PM.

Forum Member

Default introduction

Last edited by lwhite2011; 05-03-2012 at 02:43 PM.

Forum Member

Edit edit edit
    Last edited by LongCut; 05-15-2012 at 06:32 AM.

Forum Member

I don't know if it is just me, or if I read it all wrong but because of the Marine that was awarded the MoH wants to be FDNY that they are going to open the App. up again for 24 hrs... Even though there is going to be a bunch of people applying for this, it is really just to say they done it fair just so they can bring him in. Sorry thats the way I see it, it isn't fair to all the others that go through the process!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jmason66 View Post
    I don't know if it is just me, or if I read it all wrong but because of the Marine that was awarded the MoH wants to be FDNY that they are going to open the App. up again for 24 hrs... Even though there is going to be a bunch of people applying for this, it is really just to say they done it fair just so they can bring him in. Sorry thats the way I see it, it isn't fair to all the others that go through the process!
    Are you under some kind of impression that he is not going to have to go through the process? If you are, don't be silly...

Forum Member

Well do you think that if you missed the deadline that they would open it back up... So yeah it wouldn't surprise me that they don't make him go through a watered down process just so they could bring him in. Think about it man they wouldn't go to the courts to open the hiring back up because a lack of people wanting the job. But I hope I'm wrong.

Forum Member

The Post is reporting that sgt. Meyer has declined the chance to apply because the application period would not be reopening for all. Garaufis said the city could let him apply but not reopen the application period for everyone. Due to this fact, Sgt. Meyer has declined the opportunity. He did not want to accept this special treatment. This man is truly a man of Honor.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jmason66 View Post
    Well do you think that if you missed the deadline that they would open it back up... So yeah it wouldn't surprise me that they don't make him go through a watered down process just so they could bring him in. Think about it man they wouldn't go to the courts to open the hiring back up because a lack of people wanting the job. But I hope I'm wrong.

Let's just say for a second that this were true (which is nonsense). I would safely bet my next 50 paychecks that the guy would never allow himself to get on like that. He displays more character and humility than any of us can really possibly fathom.

So don't worry about this. You've got plenty of other things with the process to worry about that are actually legit.

Forum Member

Went to DCAS today to file for EMT stuff today, but before ending up in the right office, I was in a line for people looking to get their unemployment notarized, i'm saying that to tell you all this. Majority of people I spoke to online had no idea how hard the physical test was,or what was even on it, had no plans to study, and a few were pot heads. I'm positive at least 15 thousand people won't ever see the reality of getting close to the FDNY. I witnessed the politics of the aggressive recruiting campaign in the flesh... extremely unambitious and undriven people, not ready to put any work in what so ever.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    The Post is reporting that sgt. Meyer has declined the chance to apply because the application period would not be reopening for all. Garaufis said the city could let him apply but not reopen the application period for everyone. Due to this fact, Sgt. Meyer has declined the opportunity. He did not want to accept this special treatment. This man is truly a man of Honor.

You posted this at the same time as I posted mine. In doing so, you mirrored my point.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dremarin2 View Post
    Went to DCAS today to file for EMT stuff today, but before ending up in the right office, I was in a line for people looking to get their unemployment notarized, i'm saying that to tell you all this. Majority of people I spoke to online had no idea how hard the physical test was,or what was even on it, had no plans to study, and a few were pot heads. I'm positive at least 15 thousand people won't ever see the reality of getting close to the FDNY. I witnessed the politics of the aggressive recruiting campaign in the flesh... extremely unambitious and undriven people, not ready to put any work in what so ever.
    Im confused, why are the people who filed for the exam on this line?

Forum Member

Im confused, why are the people who filed for the exam on this line?
    If someone is on unemployment the city waived the application fee, and they basically get to take the test for free. But in order to completely have the application fee waived, the city want's to see proof of unemployment, the people I was on that line with all had to show the city their proof, tomorrow is the deadline for them.

Forum Member

Thanks for clearing this up for me, and yes what he did was very Honorable, most people would not have done this. This truely speaks of his character.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    Let's just say for a second that this were true (which is nonsense). I would safely bet my next 50 paychecks that the guy would never allow himself to get on like that. He displays more character and humility than any of us can really possibly fathom.

So don't worry about this. You've got plenty of other things with the process to worry about that are actually legit.

Yes you was right on that one, he is def. an honorable man with great character. I'm not in the process for FDNY but I felt like that was unfair to all the people on here that was.

Forum Member

Just read this in the Post: "Garufis rejected a broader request from the city to open the doors for 24 hours to everyone who wants to apply to the FDNY, saying that without accompanying recruitment efforts it might actually sabotage the goal of expanding minority ranks in a fire department that's overwhelmingly white."

Am I missing something, or has this Judge lost the ability to think rationally? Why does Everything have to become racial? This makes absolutely no sense at all. I'm sure 24 hours really would have a big impact on the all the millions spent on recruiting over the years.

Just one more thing this guy has ruined.
    Last edited by dkjets75; 09-26-2011 at 10:30 PM.
    Exam 2000
    Score: 99
    List #:4xxx

Forum Member

no prob bob. thanks
    Last edited by lwhite2011; 09-27-2011 at 12:29 PM.

Forum Member

Although I cannot be entirely sure, from what I understand, at this point in time, the test we will be taking is going to be different from the Alexandria and NJ exams. Those exams sound much like what the fire team sample exam offers. This may change, of course. Keep in mind that the information that is swirling around out there is based on a practice exam that was administered to current members. It's entirely possible that the content may change. One of the stated goals in developing this new exam is to create a test that meets "job necessity." In other words, a test that will best measure our ability to become firefighters.

On the topic of Medal of Honor recipient Sgt. Meyer, I can only hope that he will someday have his chance at this job. The man's actions speak for themselves.

It's important to put all you can muster into the things you can control. Nobody can stop you from studying, from running, from staying out of trouble, from getting a good education, from building a good reputation... from being ready and prepared. They can't take that from you. They can't take your desire. Ignore what you can't control. It's a waste time and emotion.
    Last edited by Minerva; 01-12-2013 at 10:33 AM.

Thread Information