Like Tree11284Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BTown View Post
    Need help ASAP. Anybody have any idea as too the timeline as to when the obama DOJ got
    actively involved in this lawsuit? Need to know if it was before 2009? Looking for links too
    Thomas Perez and Loretta King who worked in the Civil Rights Division of the DOJ. And if possible
    post any links to official gov info. Maybe Chief Mannix could be of great help. Thanks
    Here is a link from the webpage for the Center for Constitutional Rights that is working with the Vulcan Society. There is a timeline on the lower part of the page. I hope this helps.

http://ccrjustice.org/ourcases/curre...ty-v.-city-new
    Last edited by retired senior; 09-28-2012 at 12:38 AM.

Forum Member
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

Thank you for posting that link retired senior. Very very very interesting 24 min clip.
    I will not tire, I will not falter, and I will not fail!!!

Forum Member

Here's a simple guide to whether or not you should become a cop: do you have any desire to become a cop? Would being a summons whore make you happy? If the answer is no then don't. I know a few people that left EMS to become cops. Some love it, others are miserable and joke about eating their gun, which is horrifying to hear a friend say. Don't do something you have no desire to do just to get a pension, you have no way of knowing if you'll live to enjoy it.

Forum Member

Retired Senior, thanks again for posting that link.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    This is totally of topic but out of curiousity does any one know when the next port authority test is? Or where to find out and get a honest answer. I don't want it but figured I would at least look into it, incase I don't make the dream.
    Listen Brooklyn, you can still make your dream. I like to compare it to baseball, the FDNY is like playing for the Yankees. Everyone may want to be there cause of the prestige and all but there's nothing wrong playing for the Nationals, Phillies or Red Sox, your still playing professional baseball. Myself and quite a few other guys who were on 6019 and in that "phantom" class that the judge held up realized that being a Firefighter anywhere is still living the dream and we got on the job somewhere else. Are we still trying to pursue a career with the FDNY, of course!!!, but in the meantime you can still learn how a hi-rise pack works (as horrible as it is) you can still have you fancy leather New Yorkers or Houston's on your head.
    Don't take one shot at one dept. and not have it work out and bascially just give up on Firefighting all together. You never know you may just like doing the job somewhere with different challeges than NYC. Miami has a way bigger marine unit than FDNY and in the DMV area you actually could end up doing wildland work, which has a whole new set of problems that the FDNY really doesn't have to worry about.
    If firefighting is in your heart don't miss out on a great career cause the Yankees weren't offering a roster spot. That's for everyone on here to think about.
    Last edited by I3akdraf; 09-28-2012 at 10:52 AM.
    ffbam24, Ladders 4, CFD11 and 1 others like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by retired senior View Post
    Here is a link from the webpage for the Center for Constitutional Rights that is working with the Vulcan Society. There is a timeline on the lower part of the page. I hope this helps.

If people are speaking and going to mention any lawyers involved with the other side, I would make sure you watch this video and use Richard Levy's name. The guy is such a publicity whore it's ridiculous, and he's made bonehead after bonehead statement either on the radio or in print. I've exchanged emails w/ the guy in the past and all he does is point the finger at Bloomberg rather than trying to debate on how the FDNY's hiring practices are discriminatory.

Forum Member

I'm looking for a good pair of running sneakers, anyone here can give recommendations on some comfortable and durable ones?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    This is totally of topic but out of curiousity does any one know when the next port authority test is? Or where to find out and get a honest answer. I don't want it but figured I would at least look into it, incase I don't make the dream.
    Your best bet was MTAPD. They just had filing for their new exam. All I ever see them do in Penn station is either stand around the LIRR and drink coffee, or sit around the 6th ave entrance and text. Not very exciting at all, but the paycheck and pension are stacked. Maybe consider going through ems or becoming a medic.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    I'm looking for a good pair of running sneakers, anyone here can give recommendations on some comfortable and durable ones?
    I would deff suggest anything brooks or saucony (sp). They are both respectable brands and last pretty long. A good rule of thumb depending on how many miles you are logging weekly, change your sneakers every 3 to 4 months.

Forum Member

roadrunnersports.com give them a call and they'll recommend shoes based on your running style and body type. all the people that work there are runners and are very helpfull.

Forum Member

Obviously depends on where you live, but go to some place like Jack Rabbit Sports (on 14th St in Manhattan) that offers recommendations based on your stride/foot placement. They have treadmills there that they video tape you running on and give you feedback/shoe suggestions based on what they see. It's free, and I've been very happy with the shoes I got from that visit.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by retired senior View Post

24 minutes of total bull****.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

Yea I actually run a lot, 4 times a week for about 6-8 miles each time so I do go through sneakers like crazy. But recently the sole of my feet have been hurting and a friend told me to switch my running sneakers. ( damn Nike lunar glides! ) so ill definetly check out those name brands and stores you guys suggested thanks a lot!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    Yea I actually run a lot, 4 times a week for about 6-8 miles each time so I do go through sneakers like crazy. But recently the sole of my feet have been hurting and a friend told me to switch my running sneakers. ( damn Nike lunar glides! ) so ill definetly check out those name brands and stores you guys suggested thanks a lot!
    If you are running that much, you should really understand the different different types of running shoes on the market and make a selection based on your particular mechanics. I agree entirely with Manhattan Medic - Jack Rabbit in Manhattan (on 14th street and also uptown on 85th and Lex) is a great shop staffed entirely by very serious triathletes. I've bought all of my shoes from them for years and I've learned enough from the staff to keep lowering my marathon times.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 7andchange View Post
    roadrunnersports.com give them a call and they'll recommend shoes based on your running style and body type. all the people that work there are runners and are very helpfull.
    Second this, they are great

Forum Member

Test is approved guys!!!
    We should get our scores!

Forum Member

nycthirteen likes this.

Forum Member

Yep, as said above, it's been approved. This is from the JoinFDNY Facebook page:

Great news for all firefighter exam candidates released by the Law Department. **I do not know more information than this at this time, so please hold your questions**: "Brooklyn federal court Judge Nicholas Garaufis today formally approved the FDNY's most-recent exam, allowing the City to move forward toward hiring a new fire class. The approval follows a motion filed by the City on Monday seeking the judge's sign-off, which ensures that the City can use the eligible lists resulting from the 2012 fire exam (Exam 2000), which was taken by more than 41,000 candidates in March and April Of this year."

Forum Member

Start getting your paperwork in order - very likely the Department will bring candidates in immediately for investigations. Transcripts, birth certificate, social security card, residency paperwork, DD214 for military - get it all in order NOW. If your list number means you won't get called in during the first few waves, it still doesn't hurt to have that stuff sitting in a folder ready to go.

Also, if you haven't started a training regimen in order to be ready for the physical / medical (especially weighted stair master), CPAT, and potentially the Rock - stop wasting time.

Forum Member

unfortunately my paperwork is still in the same folder it was when I went down and processed 4 yrs ago!

Forum Member

Here is the official announcement from the city with some important dates.

Looks like the test results will be published on/around 10/3

http://www.nyc.gov/html/law/downloads/pdf/3766074_1.pdf

Forum Member

Game on, boys.

Forum Member

Hey guys. Does anyone have the rough breakdown of the questions? Like how many on each section of the test. Thanks in advance fellas.
    6019- was sitting at 13xx
    2000- now sitting at 18xx

Forum Member

For everyone on 2000 I would not start scrambling yet. They probably won't start bringing in even the top of that list until the new year. Still, if you don't know where your SS card or birth certificate are, now would be the time to start looking for them or trying to get replacements. You don't want to have to try and do that on a deadline. Also start running and easing your way into shape now!

Forum Member
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

My1goal you sure are very fast. I was also wondering the samething. This makes me even more anxious to find out what our list/score numbers are. Brooklynborn let's have our fingers crossed my man.
    I will not tire, I will not falter, and I will not fail!!!

Thread Information