Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 132 of 1144 FirstFirst ... 32821221291301311321331341351421822326321132 ... LastLast
Results 2,621 to 2,640 of 22876
Like Tree8987Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

Ok, joinfdny on facebook, stated that they are going to exhaust the promotional's list before touching the open competitive's list.
    Last edited by Fdnytolife4130; 05-22-2012 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Poorly worded

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Fdnytolife4130 View Post
    I read somewhere that they are going to exhaust the protionals list before touching the open competitive list. I believe I read this on the Facebook joinfdny website.
    I read somewhere that the world was going to end in March, and also again in December, of this year.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

I read somewhere that they are going to exhaust the protionals list before touching the open competitive list. I believe I read this on the Facebook joinfdny website.
    just laughed my *** off trying to pronounce "protionals". Thanks, I needed that.

Forum Member

Ok, joinfdny on facebook, stated that they are going to exhaust the promotional's list before touching the open competitive's list.
    Stop spreading false information. I just looked at Join FDNY's fb and there is nothing that says anything remotely like that in the last two weeks. On top of that, DCAS hires, not the FDNY. The department has very little say in who they get until they show up at the Rock. Whether they be from the EMS side of the house, off the street or some random guy from Woodhaven that churns the rumor mill.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY2000 View Post
    Stop spreading false information. I just looked at Join FDNY's fb and there is nothing that says anything remotely like that in the last two weeks. On top of that, DCAS hires, not the FDNY. The department has very little say in who they get until they show up at the Rock. Whether they be from the EMS side of the house, off the street or some random guy from Woodhaven that churns the rumor mill.
    In all fairness I've read the same thing on the joinfdny facebook. I don't think it was one of the main topics of discussion but it was on there at one point or another.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    In all fairness I've read the same thing on the joinfdny facebook. I don't think it was one of the main topics of discussion but it was on there at one point or another.
    I'm assuming that this was fodder amongst subscriber's to the fb as opposed to an official statement released by the FDNY. I'm just basing this off of what family members who are on the job have informed me and that is the city hires you, not the department.

Forum Member

I'm assuming that this was fodder amongst subscriber's to the fb as opposed to an official statement released by the FDNY. I'm just basing this off of what family members who are on the job have informed me and that is the city hires you, not the department.
    All of u guys should really stop spreading false info. On the issue of who hires ff's you couldn't be more incorrect.

Forum Member

I think under one of the main conversations or whatever it's called, someone asked the question and the joinfdny replied to it.

It's kind of funny you get on a poster here for spreading rumors from something he read by the FDNY ran joinfdny facebook about the exam but your family otj probably know just as much as we do about how this will work out but their word is gospel.

The most rumors usually come from someone saying my family, friend, neighbor, bosses cousin's son OTJ said...
    Last edited by TomFromQueens; 05-22-2012 at 03:28 PM.
    Fdnytolife4130 likes this.

Forum Member

"If someone has access to it as I'm on my phone, the PDF that DCAS released stated that you would only receive one or the other and not a full ten between the two. I believe outside of the "legacy" credits, no one will get 10 points added just 5." - DJ_Reverse

Not true, call Mrs. Ammons at DCAS, she is the veteran's liaison. Her number is 212.669.7280. The point breakdown is as follows:

NYC Residency - 5 Points
    Veteran - 5 Points
    Disabled Veteran - 10 Points
    Legacy Credit - 10 Points

All of which can be combined to achieve a hypothetical 125 on the exam, you can't combine Vet and Dis. Vet. Those are the only stipulations. However, I don't know how inclined I would be to claim "disabled" on a job that is already looking for any and all reasons to not hire. It's not discrimination if they can tie a disability to the idea of not being able to perform.
    Not sure if it makes a difference but I thought residency was 5% and not 5 points?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Minerva View Post
    Yeah, that makes sense, especially with this fact sheet on the "work orientation" section. Take a look at the last paragraph.

http://corporate.psionline.com/pdfs/WOS-FFactSheet.pdf
    The city or the judge?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jremNY View Post
    I read somewhere that the world was going to end in March, and also again in December, of this year.
    Name:  Aztec-Calendar-Cartoon.jpg
Views: 906
Size:  31.3 KB

That ****e is scary
    Desire4theJob likes this.

Forum Member

Yes! Very upset about the personality section!

Forum Member

Hey guys, congrats to all who did well on the exam. I read this forum everyday, but haven't posted in a very long time. Thanks to all who try to provide information about this circus we've all found ourselves in. Sometimes this forum is the only thing that keeps me sane in all of this. I did my review and got nothing wrong except for 8pc in the personality section. I have no extra points to apply to my score. Just wondering where you think I stand? Again thanks to all who relay their information to us!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    The city or the judge?
    My understanding is that the City will determine how things are weighted, make the list and then the judge has to approve those results. It also looks like the judge has to approve the results before the scores are even released. It ought to be interesting, considering he oversaw the construction of this exam, which is supposed to be non-biased. I think the city did a good job recruiting and getting people out for the exam, which they had to do. I think PSI did a good job putting together and running the exam. And I think both the City and PSI have done a good job preserving the integrity of the exam. Again, PSI was chosen because they're experience in creating exams that are supposed to be non-biased and stand up when they've been taken to court. It remains to be seen whether these things will be taken into account when the judge reviews it.

Also, the FDNY Facebook page that keeps being referenced noted that there was 871 people who took the promotional. I did look back and see that a person asked if the promotional list would be still be exhausted first. The moderator answered that the promotional candidates would be hired before open competitive candidates. The promotional probably would exhaust first, because it's short, no matter how the hiring is done. It could very well be true that the city exhausts it first before using the open competitive list. At this point, I still think nobody can be sure what will actually happen.

Just to note, on 6019, the first class was not entirely composed of promotions. 2043, I don't recall any of the classes being entirely promotions either. Nobody has a definitive answer as to what will occur with this exam in the coming months. It wasn't too long ago that many of us thought we'd already be on the job. Anything can happen.

Keep things in perspective here. Up to this point, everyone has done everything in their power to do well on this exam. Now, it's a waiting game. Yes, it stinks that we can't get all of the answers. No one knows now this thing will be weighted or scored. Getting worked up over rumors and hypotheticals won't do anyone much good. If I've learned anything over the last five years, it's not to get too high or low with any of this. I think the best thing to do is to take it one step at a time, one day at a time. We've completed the exam and the review. Now, the best thing to do is be prepared. Keep in good shape, stay out of trouble, possibly learn something valuable and enjoy each day.

I know a few different members who dealt with lengthy delays (7-8 years) because of the financial troubles of the 1970's or because of the lawsuit by the women in the 1980's. But they made it. And to a man, they will tell you that it was all worth the wait. It will be no different for us.

There's something I've read about called the stockdale paradox. It refers to Vice Admiral James Stockdale, a Medal of Honor winner. He was the commander of fighter squadron in Vietnam, was shot down by friendly fire and ended up as a prisoner of war for seven years. He survived. He said it was because he "never doubted the end of the story, that he would get out and in the end he would prevail and that the experience would become the defining moment of his life." Now, obviously, our situation is nothing even remotely close to what the Admiral experienced. Nothing. However, he said that there was an important lesson to learn from his experience. It was this: "That you never confuse faith that you will prevail in the end - which you cannot afford to lose - with the discipline to confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever that might be." I think that's an important lesson we can use. Recognize the difficulty of the situation, but keep faith that in the end, we will somehow prevail.
    Last edited by Minerva; 01-12-2013 at 10:40 AM.

Forum Member

Great post, Minerva. I agree with you on the job the city & PSI has done up until now. Now I'm thinking it'll come down to the racial make up of the top 6K or so, and or whether or not the job the city has done up until now was, in the courts eyes, solid enough where even if the make up of the top 6K isn't what this judge wanted, he can't find fault in the process.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Minerva View Post
    I believe the city will determine how things are weighted, make the list and then the judge has to approve those results. It also looks like the judge has to approve the results before the scores are even released. It ought to be interesting, considering he oversaw the construction of this exam, which is supposed to be non-biased. I think the city did a good job recruiting and getting people out for the exam. Which they had to do. I think PSI did a good job putting together and running the exam. And I think both the City and PSI have done a good job preserving the integrity of the exam. Again, PSI was chosen because they're experience in creating exams that are supposed to be non-biased and stand up when they've been taken to court. It remains to be seen whether these things will be taken into account when the judge reviews it.

Also, the FDNY Facebook page that keeps being referenced noted that there was 871 people who took the promotional. I did look back and see that a person asked if the promotional list would be still be exhausted first. The moderator answered that the promotional candidates would be hired before open competitive candidates. The promotional probably would exhaust first, because it's short, no matter how the hiring in done. It could be very well true that the city exhausts it first before using the open competitive list. At this point, I still think nobody can be sure what will actually happen.

Just to note, on 6019, the first class was not entirely composed of promotions. 2043, I don't recall any of the classes being entirely promotions either. Nobody has a definitive answer as to what will occur with this exam in the coming months. It wasn't too long ago that many of us thought we'd already be on the job. Anything can happen.

Keep things is perspective here. Up to this point, everyone has done everything in their power to do well on this exam. Now, it's a waiting game. Yes, it stinks that we can't get all of the answers. But, getting worked up over rumors and hypotheticals won't do anyone much good. If I've learned anything over the last five years, it's not to get too high or low with any of this. I think the best thing to do it to take it one step at a time, one day at a time. We've completed the exam and the review. Now, the best thing to do is be prepared. Keep in good shape, stay out of trouble, possibly learn something valuable and enjoy each day.

I know a few different members who dealt with lengthy delays (7-8 years) because of the financial troubles of the 1970's or because of the lawsuit by the women in the 1980's. But they made it. And to a man, they will tell you that it was all worth the wait. It will be no different for us.

There's something I've read about called the stockdale paradox. It refers to Vice Admiral James Stockdale, a Medal of Honor winner. He was the commander of fighter squadron in Vietnam, was shot down by friendly fire and ended up as a prisoner of war for seven years. He survived. He said it was because he "never doubted the end of the story, that he would get out and in the end he would prevail and that the experience would become the defining moment of his life." Now, obviously, our situation is nothing even remotely close to what the Admiral experienced. Nothing. However, he said that there was an important lesson to learn from his experience. It was this: "That you never confuse faith that you will prevail in the end - which you cannot afford to lose - with the discipline to confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever that might be." I think that's an important lesson we can use. Recognize the difficulty of the situation, but keep faith that in the end, we will somehow prevail.

Finally Remember, on June 5, there's a meeting for all of us candidates. Merit Matters always welcomes us at their meetings too. keep your heads up.

Also, I apologize for the length!
    Good Points Minerva,

I like the Admiral Stockdale quote. That man is truly amazing, I read his book, "Thoughts of a Philosophical Fighter Pilot" last year for a philosophy class, his story exemplifies the importance of a Positive Mental Attitude and what it can carry you through. And like you said, Our situation is certainly not a Vietnamese prison camp, but the lesson can be applied regardless.
    Last edited by dkjets75; 05-22-2012 at 09:52 PM.

Forum Member

I also agree, nice post minerva. I think we all just have to keep our heads up.

Forum Member

And to double back what Minerva said, see you all June 5th. Remember that while Merrit Matters will be in attendance, it is us the candidates who will run the show. Also what we will focus on is,

-Exam 2000 protest
    -Technological problems and how to protest that
    -Going into the next phase
    -Controlling the speculation
    -And remembering what we want to do.

Also stop, stop with all the speculation and as such I'm one of them. Instead focus on what we know and if you have specific questions bring it to the meeting, my contact would love to answer it.
    Last edited by DJ_Reverse; 05-23-2012 at 12:22 PM.

Forum Member

ps. the only reason im asking where you all think i stand in this is because it seems that almost everyone who posts on here has at least one of the 5 extra point requirments. Plus im anxious as hell about this whole thing.

Forum Member

Yeah me to I got 15 pc! What about you brooklynborn?

Thread Information