Like Tree11269Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

People,
    October 3rd is less than a week away. If you are in the metro NY area you will get mail in a day or so, tops. Point being, we'll all know a LOT in a week - considering how many of us have been waiting 4+ years, that is less than insignificant. So, do what you want, but I'm going to take a deep breath and not drive myself crazy for the next week thinking about scoring breakdowns, PC or FC or scoring tiebreakers. Continue to train, continue to live your life, and just open the mail when it arrives late next week. Good luck everyone.
    HopefulFF and JerkAlert like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    Well I did also get around 15 PC on psych. Thanks for the info everyone, sorry to hog up so much attention. See you people oct 1st.

A quick question about how the cpat factors in. Lets say some one has a higher score on the written by like 1-2 points, but they fail the cpat the first time and I pass, do I get to go into the academy before them? Or do I have to wait for their chances to run out.
    Candidates will ultimately get 3 tries at the CPAT, all within a month of each other. If you pass any of the 3 attempts you pass. If you don't then you are done.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Candidates will ultimately get 3 tries at the CPAT, all within a month of each other. If you pass any of the 3 attempts you pass. If you don't then you are done.
    I liked it so much better when you only had 1 shot a CPAT and 1 shot at medical!

Forum Member

Technically they do only get one shot. The city is required to offer 2 practice runs through the course, then the one that counts. The city got the IAFF to agree to let the practice runs count as the real thing since they are done on the real course, with the reasoning being that the city has way too many candidates to process for each class.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    I was actually wondering the same thing. Would be kind of nice if we were just able to go on the DCAS or PSI page and see our results. All I know is that I will be sweating the day I get that mail from dcas. Probably wont even want to open it and have someone else do it for me haha

Ya, the day that letter comes our nerves will be shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Technically they do only get one shot. The city is required to offer 2 practice runs through the course, then the one that counts. The city got the IAFF to agree to let the practice runs count as the real thing since they are done on the real course, with the reasoning being that the city has way too many candidates to process for each class.

Passing on a practice try is not a city thing, that's done where ever the CPAT is given. I've passed on a practice try outside of NYC.

Forum Member

Is 97 just a made up number that court was using for approval and the media, or do you guys think that lower 90 are out

Forum Member

Red face

I don't mean to burst everyone's bubble but truth be told the waiting game has just began. Jan academy is all promos and prob a good half of June will be too. Plus I'm sure a lot of June will be those canindates who were qualified for vet plus residency or the 911 points which was worth 10 I believe. Best shot we have is November but realistically we all need to realize this dream is another 2 years out so everyone continue going to work, school, working on resumes for new jobs and what not.

To answer the previous question: the fdny said you need a 97 or higher to be considered for a interview. So anything under that is out. I think that number is actually way to low. A safe bet for employment will prob be closer to a 99 and above. The fdny are estimated that only 1 in every 3 canindates will actually make it and I think that I'd deff underestimating a lil bit. Good luck to everyone tho. I hope we all make it.

One question for you guys that are more knowledgeable on the subject: I don't do any drugs(not even Advil lol), but does anyone know what method the department uses to drug test? I hope its a hair test so we can eliminate a couple hundred canindates off the bat lol

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    Is 97 just a made up number that court was using for approval and the media, or do you guys think that lower 90 are out

That 97 was PSI's # they gave to the city according to the documents gimmiefire read. Hopefully that means the city gave PSI an estimate on how many FFs they plan to hire over the life of the list. I believe gimmie said that was factoring 2:1 candidate to hire on the promo list and 4:1 candidate to hire on the OC list.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by knicksh2o View Post
    I don't mean to burst everyone's bubble but truth be told the waiting game has just began. Jan academy is all promos and prob a good half of June will be too. Plus I'm sure a lot of June will be those canindates who were qualified for vet plus residency or the 911 points which was worth 10 I believe. Best shot we have is November but realistically we all need to realize this dream is another 2 years out so everyone continue going to work, school, working on resumes for new jobs and what not.

To answer the previous question: the fdny said you need a 97 or higher to be considered for a interview. So anything under that is out. I think that number is actually way to low. A safe bet for employment will prob be closer to a 99 and above. The fdny are estimated that only 1 in every 3 canindates will actually make it and I think that I'd deff underestimating a lil bit. Good luck to everyone tho. I hope we all make it.

One question for you guys that are more knowledgeable on the subject: I don't do any drugs(not even Advil lol), but does anyone know what method the department uses to drug test? I hope its a hair test so we can eliminate a couple hundred canindates off the bat lol
    I say the second class will be 3/4 off the OC. Only 600 EMS are elegible as of right now. Then a good 45ish will be elegible every 3-4 months after that ( estimating that EMS classes are 90 so say 45 want to switch over to fire)

Forum Member

Besides the gym in Seaford does anyone know any other places that offer CPAT training courses ? I know there is a place in Howard Beach as well, don't know if they're still doing it though. I work out on my own as it is but I want to be as prepared as possible.

Forum Member

I'm sure the FDNY will hold some sort of FREE training program like they did in 07/08. Can't beat training at the rock.

If you've truly been preparing you should be fine.

Also, I read posts about guys and finding the right sneakers. While finding comfortable shoes helps a lot of recreational runners, you should first be more concerned about running correctly. Most people run incorrectly and learning how to run properly makes a world of difference on your feet, legs and will dramatically improve your times. Check out the POSE running method on your spare time.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    Besides the gym in Seaford does anyone know any other places that offer CPAT training courses ? I know there is a place in Howard Beach as well, don't know if they're still doing it though. I work out on my own as it is but I want to be as prepared as possible.
    Just do the stair master with a weighted vest and do little rest Inbetween each work out at the gym. The FDNY gives you a few cpat prep classes a couple months before you have to take your CPAT so just use those as your practice. Trust me when I tell you this the CPAT is not hard at all. If you are in shape you shouldn't worry at all.
    Last edited by Jukez; 09-29-2012 at 12:19 PM.

Forum Member

Yea, univest is a pretty good brand. Still have mine from 5 yrs ago.
    Btw, I'm going to sound like a broken record but does anybody have the break down of the exam? I think we had like 38 reading comprehension + math questions and like 81 personality questions. Not too certain though.
    6019- was sitting at 13xx
    2000- now sitting at 18xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by My1Goal View Post
    Btw, I'm going to sound like a broken record but does anybody have the break down of the exam? I think we had like 38 reading comprehension + math questions and like 81 personality questions. Not too certain though.
    This is the breakdown

Section 1: 7 questions
    Section 2: 8 questions
    Section 3: 11 questions
    Section 4: 31 questions
    Section 5: 81 questions

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by My1Goal View Post
    I am wondering as well. Also we don't know values of the different types of questions, Right?

I guess if they are giving out scores before the fairness hearing, then it's pretty much not about us or our scoring.
    I said something like this already, but I bet hard questions were thrown out on the written and then the psych is unfairly weighted heavy.

Forum Member

Hey everyone,

Did want to go over a few points as the waiting and the working out game begin. First off I apologize in advance for not being around as often as I was, this week ironically I started my first truly "full time" job, however I'm hoping that this one becomes what I have currently.

Now first
    *Relax until you get your scores. If you start to panic or feel anxious do something that puts a smile to your face, working out, laughing, or whatever else. The last thing you want to do is go with white hair before you're 50.
    *Attend the protest hearing if you can. Why? No one should be a priority hire over us and more importantly no one who did not do the right things for this test should be passed over because some people thought they could be lazy for a previous one.
    *Relize that this isn't the end if you don't get the call. Some have stated their are other fire departments out there, yes their are. Remember that the Northeast is home to some of the most unique, active, and crazy structures there are in the US and as such make for a great place to work, you can go Chicago, DC, or West Coast even. (If you do go West Coast, start taking EMT classes now!). Hell check if that city has a professional fire department and apply! Dont even rule out up-state too!
    *Always stay positive, and remember that until October 3rd you won't have to make life plans just yet!

Best of Luck everyone!
    ffbam24 and BKEMT1028 like this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Reverse View Post
    *Relax until you get your scores. If you start to panic or feel anxious do something that puts a smile to your face, working out, laughing, or whatever else. The last thing you want to do is go with white hair before you're 50.
    *Attend the protest hearing if you can. Why? No one should be a priority hire over us and more importantly no one who did not do the right things for this test should be passed over because some people thought they could be lazy for a previous one.
    *Relize that this isn't the end if you don't get the call. Some have stated their are other fire departments out there, yes their are. Remember that the Northeast is home to some of the most unique, active, and crazy structures there are in the US and as such make for a great place to work, you can go Chicago, DC, or West Coast even. (If you do go West Coast, start taking EMT classes now!). Hell check if that city has a professional fire department and apply! Dont even rule out up-state too!
    *Always stay positive, and remember that until October 3rd you won't have to make life plans just yet!
    Thank you!

First off, if you cannot pass the CPAT on the first try, you are a sorry POS. I've personally passed it with flu-like symptoms. You either have to be trying to fail it, completely out of any kind of shape, or unable to follow the directions. This is a watered down physical agility. Don't freak out over it.

Secondly, Judge Garufis' Proposed Relief Order is still in place; Retroactive seniority, Backpay, Compensatory damages, and the worst part, Quota hiring.

Show up to the "Fairness Hearings" this Monday - Thursday and let your voice be heard about how this relief order is NOT fair to anyone!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post

Secondly, Judge Garufis' Proposed Relief Order is still in place; Retroactive seniority, Backpay, Compensatory damages, and the worst part, Quota hiring.

Show up to the "Fairness Hearings" this Monday - Thursday and let your voice be heard about how this relief order is NOT fair to anyone!

I was wondering about this myself. The city's official release stated:

The Court approved the rank order use of Exam 2000. Significantly, it found that the validation study performed by the City's experts contained persuasive evidence that the test and its cut-off score are job related.

So if the court approved rank order hiring off of 2000, how does that relate to the proposed quota hiring the judge earlier wanted to enforce?

MembersZone Subscriber

Don't know. But we haven't heard he's rescinded it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    Thank you!

First off, if you cannot pass the CPAT on the first try, you are a sorry POS. I've personally passed it with flu-like symptoms. You either have to be trying to fail it, completely out of any kind of shape, or unable to follow the directions. This is a watered down physical agility. Don't freak out over it.

I can also relate to this. I passed the cpat my first try back in 08' with a swollen ankle from playing basketball and still managed to get a decent time. What bothered me was that the 3 jacked up guys that went in before me didn't finish in time. This only shows how much strength is not a big factor in this.
    Last edited by Jukez; 09-29-2012 at 02:13 PM.

Forum Member

Man guys I don't think I have ever been this nervous for a test grade. I wish everyone the best of luck this week went to the review and I had 2 wrong and 15 pc I hope I still got. The notice said you most likely need over a 97 to get called and there's 8 thousand and change who got over that the numbers are against us but we got it guys good luck and keep training!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    Ya, the day that letter comes our nerves will be shot.

Passing on a practice try is not a city thing, that's done where ever the CPAT is given. I've passed on a practice try outside of NYC.
    My apologies then. The stuff I said was told to us by the lieutenant running the training program @ the rock. The department does a 12 week prep class to prepare candidates for the CPAT, and it definitely looks like it will be good practice, however if you wait till then to get in shape you are ****ed... But as others have said, I think most of you guys here gotta relax a bit, because even if you score high enough to be reachable on the list you aren't going anywhere for a while. In the official release from the city law department they said the promotional list will be certified in January before they hire off of it, but gave no timeline for certifying the open competitive list.

Forum Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    Not necessarily on all CPATs. I've taken a CPAT where you had to declare your official run. You could run the course as a practice run or an official run. If it was a practice run, and you passed, you got a pat on the back, and a "good luck on the real one". You had to declare this beforehand, and if you failed when you declared it your official run, you were removed from the process.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    This is the breakdown

Section 1: 7 questions
    Section 2: 8 questions
    Section 3: 11 questions
    Section 4: 31 questions
    Section 5: 81 questions
    Hey Jukez, thanks for the break-down. Much appreciated, bro. Gotta continue praying...
    Jukez likes this.
    6019- was sitting at 13xx
    2000- now sitting at 18xx

Thread Information