Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Jukes was section 5 the Psych?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    Jukes was section 5 the Psych?
    Yea. This will probably be the longest week of our lives. :sigh:

Forum Member
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

Does anyone have an idea of where to go in order to see the publicized scores/list numbers? When ever they become public around oct 3.
    Test 2000
    Score 97
    List#700X
    Do I stand a chance?

I will not tire, I will not falter, and I will not fail!!!

Forum Member

I find it hard to believe such a large percentage scored over a 97, with out questions strategically being thrown out. The test wasn't rocket science but every single questions wasn't super easy. I didn't do as good as I would have liked or as well as every one on here, but I am gonna kill myself if I don't get called because I didn't answer strongly agree instead of my agree on on bull**** filler questions.

Forum Member

I find it hard to believe such a large percentage scored over a 97, with out questions strategically being thrown out. The test wasn't rocket science but every single questions wasn't super easy. I didn't do as good as I would have liked or as well as every one on here, but I am gonna kill myself if I don't get called because I didn't answer strongly agree instead of my agree on on bull**** filler questions.
    How do you know how well you did as you would have liked....?

Forum Member

not sure what you are asking. I know I got several partial credits on the Psych. Don't know what that means yet but its scary considering every one and their mother scored over 97.

I will stop crying now and wait it out. Just worked out and I am less anxious
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 09-29-2012 at 11:21 PM.

Forum Member

Sorry i asked 2 questions at once and didnt proof read lol.....how do people know what credit they got for questions? was something mailed?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Leather_4_Ever View Post
    Sorry i asked 2 questions at once and didnt proof read lol.....how do people know what credit they got for questions? was something mailed?
    Yeah, something was mailed

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Leather_4_Ever View Post
    NYC/DCAS held review sessions after the exam was given. At those sessions, the exam takers had a chance to review the questions, the correct answers and their own answers. They were also given an opportunity to submit protests for any question for which they received no credit or partial credit (pc).

Forum Member

not sure what you are asking. I know I got several partial credits on the Psych. Don't know what that means yet but its scary considering every one and their mother scored over 97.

Actually only 20.7% of candidates scored a 97 or higher, which is different from everyone and their mother. You're focusing too much on the number, and not on the fact that regardless of what the score breakdown is, they're only going to canvas so far down the list. Even if the score to get into the top 8500 was only say... a 90, the point would be you still have to end up in the top 8500 if you want to even have a shot. It sucks to have to sit here and wait and see if you have a chance or not, but in the meantime you should be weighing your options.

Forum Member

Well what's more interesting about it is that let's say you score a 96, an EMS person who took the promotional scored a 75, he/she will get on and you wouldn't lol. Cool huh!?
    Last edited by Jukez; 09-30-2012 at 08:21 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Actually only 20.7% of candidates scored a 97 or higher, which is different from everyone and their mother. You're focusing too much on the number, and not on the fact that regardless of what the score breakdown is, they're only going to canvas so far down the list. Even if the score to get into the top 8500 was only say... a 90, the point would be you still have to end up in the top 8500 if you want to even have a shot. It sucks to have to sit here and wait and see if you have a chance or not, but in the meantime you should be weighing your options.

Ya, I was going to say pretty much the same thing. On prior exams, if you want to be generous and say the top 6k had a shot at the job, and there were 30k people taking the exam, that's still the top 20% had a shot at the job. This time around there were more test takers, and if the city plans to hire more in the next 4 years than they usually do, it would explain why they are going lower on the list than in the past which is almost negating the bump of 10k + people who took this exam vs 6019.

Forum Member

All... CALM DOWN! Stop freaking out over this 97 number. You all know how civil service hiring works; there is absolutely no way to predict how far down even the first OC class will go on the list, let alone numerous classes over numerous years. There are SO many variables it's literally impossible:

-We could go into another recession and the mayor who comes in after Bloomberg says screw it, we'll just go back to paying OT to the guys we have.
    -Since the test was so easy and the psych was so subjective, maybe the cream of the crop didn't rise to the top and they end up only hiring 1 in 5 or 6 people off the OC list.
    -Maybe since they have more people on the OC list than ever before, they raise hiring standards and only hire 1 in 5, or 6, or 7, etc. We've seen that happen with the NYPD, the standards change based on how many applicants are in the pipeline. With more people you can be more selective.

Again, the above are only POSSIBLE SCENARIOS and I do NOT claim that they are rumors of any sort. I'm just pointing out that literally ANYTHING can happen. If you get your score in the mail and you get a 96, don't go jump off a bridge. If you get your score in the mail and you got a 99, don't walk into your job and tell them to go screw cause you're going to be a FDNY firefighter.

Don't forget we're all going through civil service where the motto is "hurry up and wait!"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    Well what's more interesting about it is that let's say you score a 96, an EMS person who took the promotional scored a 75, he/she will get on and you wouldn't lol. Cool huh!?
    Yes, this is cool. And you know who its really cool for? The EMS guy or girl who has been busting there *** 16 hours a day dealing with complete unadulterated bull**** that the people of The City of New York put them through. The EMS guy or girl who transports the fireman from a fire (or not) with chest pains and picks up on ST elevations on the monitor and saves that guys life. The EMS guy or girl who walk into the projects and find a 2 year old in cardiac arrest only to find out the a parent beat the kid to death. They do the paperwork, are forced to go available asap and go pick up the next one. No break. The EMS guy or girl who bring in revenue to the FDNY on a daily basis. The EMS guy or girl who over the last FIVE YEARS thought to themselves that maybe THIS is my best shot at becoming a firefighter and went out there and sat through a New York State EMT class, got state certified, called the FDNY and applied for EMS, went through the entire EMS hiring process, scored well in the EMS Academy and then put their time in the street while waiting patiently like everyone else on this message board.
    No offense to anyone on this board. This is an old topic, almost stale. Its been FIVE years. Most guys know that EMS is the best way to get on. If you didn't think to yourself over the past FIVE years that maybe EMS is a good idea (or ego got in the way because for some stupid reason you didn't want to go "that route") than don't complain when the EMS class goes in first. You could have done it. No one said that you weren't allowed. No one said that you couldn't sacrifice more. In fact, if some of you guys are still in your early 20's you should STILL DO IT. EMS used to be the backdoor. Now its the way.
    Also, the argument that the EMS guy who scored a 75 gets in over the guy on the OC with a 100.....yada yada does not really apply for this round of hiring secondary to the fact that EVERY EMS GUY who scored well WILL be hired BEFORE you. So, if you're thinking about becoming EMT, don't think, Do.
    I hope I didn't **** anyone off on this board. You guys have been very informative over the years and I thank you for that. But when I see old comments like that it really makes me want to stand up for myself and the guys I work with. Not for nothing, the EMS promo in itself is a little competitive this time around. With so many guys everyone wants to be in that first class so I don't think the scores are going to be that low.
    Stay healthy, fit and safe guys. Good luck again!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JerkAlert View Post
    Yes, this is cool. And you know who its really cool for? The EMS guy or girl who has been busting there *** 16 hours a day dealing with complete unadulterated bull**** that the people of The City of New York put them through. The EMS guy or girl who transports the fireman from a fire (or not) with chest pains and picks up on ST elevations on the monitor and saves that guys life. The EMS guy or girl who walk into the projects and find a 2 year old in cardiac arrest only to find out the a parent beat the kid to death. They do the paperwork, are forced to go available asap and go pick up the next one. No break. The EMS guy or girl who bring in revenue to the FDNY on a daily basis. The EMS guy or girl who over the last FIVE YEARS thought to themselves that maybe THIS is my best shot at becoming a firefighter and went out there and sat through a New York State EMT class, got state certified, called the FDNY and applied for EMS, went through the entire EMS hiring process, scored well in the EMS Academy and then put their time in the street while waiting patiently like everyone else on this message board.
    No offense to anyone on this board. This is an old topic, almost stale. Its been FIVE years. Most guys know that EMS is the best way to get on. If you didn't think to yourself over the past FIVE years that maybe EMS is a good idea (or ego got in the way because for some stupid reason you didn't want to go "that route") than don't complain when the EMS class goes in first. You could have done it. No one said that you weren't allowed. No one said that you couldn't sacrifice more. In fact, if some of you guys are still in your early 20's you should STILL DO IT. EMS used to be the backdoor. Now its the way.
    Also, the argument that the EMS guy who scored a 75 gets in over the guy on the OC with a 100.....yada yada does not really apply for this round of hiring secondary to the fact that EVERY EMS GUY who scored well WILL be hired BEFORE you. So, if you're thinking about becoming EMT, don't think, Do.
    I hope I didn't **** anyone off on this board. You guys have been very informative over the years and I thank you for that. But when I see old comments like that it really makes me want to stand up for myself and the guys I work with. Not for nothing, the EMS promo in itself is a little competitive this time around. With so many guys everyone wants to be in that first class so I don't think the scores are going to be that low.
    Stay healthy, fit and safe guys. Good luck again!
    First of all I didn't throw direct shots at any EMS personnel, I just wanted to state a fact to a member of the forum. But now since you in the subject, yes there are a bunch of EMS guys who bust their *** and deserve it just like there's the lazy fu#ks who don't take their job serious and feel that they already firemans since they already FDNY and have the first bite off the cake. Now back to this, I would not join EMS, yes it might get me in easier BUT I should have been hired 4 years ago because I did well on the old test. I will also do well on this one and will be putting in my list number excited in the next few weeks. That's just my choice though and no I'm not bringing FDNY EMS down in any way, like I said IT is my CHOICE not to.

Forum Member

Well then have fun in tier 6!
    BKLYNBOY likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Well then have fun in tier 6!
    Good stuff, But guys from 6019 ready for hire like myself don't find this funny at all. But yes I will have fun in tier 6, with absolutly no shortcuts bro!

Forum Member

Who said it was funny?

Forum Member

FdnytolifeE293, tried to send you a PM but your mailbox is full.

Forum Member

So any word on what happened to questions we may have protested ?

Forum Member

Isn't that fairness hearing going on today

Forum Member

is the test graded before the questions are thrown out? like lets say there are 81 questions in the personality and 20 get trown out then is the weight of those 61 questions applied as opposed to the original 81?

Forum Member

Straight from PSI's report to the court.

A Test Validation Board (TVB) was convened as required by NY Civil Service Law and court
    order, during the month of June 2012 to review and adjudicate item protests that were submitted
    by candidates during formal test review sessions conducted after the test administration. The
    TVB was comprised of three members, one chosen by the City, one chose by the Firefighter's
    union, and one chosen by the Court in response to a motion hled by the City. The purpose of the
    TVB was to review and adjudicate item protests submitted by candidates who attended protest
    review sessions in May 2012, after the test administration had been completed. The TVB
    recommended adjustments to the scoring of certain items, as follows: three (3) cognitive items
    were identifred (two items on Form B2 and one item on Form Dl) for which one additional
    response option in addition to the originally keyed response would be counted as "full credit";
    and six (6) noncognitive items were identified for which full credit would be awarded for any of
    the response options. The TVB also awarded partial credit for six (6) additional noncognitive items.

Excuse the staggered text. Don't have time to fix it at the moment.
    CableGuy516 likes this.

Gimmeefire600. Did it say anywhere in those court papers about how much credit is each "partial credit" worth?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    Straight from PSI's report to the court.

A Test Validation Board (TVB) was convened as required by NY Civil Service Law and court
    order, during the month of June 2012 to review and adjudicate item protests that were submitted
    by candidates during formal test review sessions conducted after the test administration. The
    TVB was comprised of three members, one chosen by the City, one chose by the Firefighter's
    union, and one chosen by the Court in response to a motion hled by the City. The purpose of the
    TVB was to review and adjudicate item protests submitted by candidates who attended protest
    review sessions in May 2012, after the test administration had been completed. The TVB
    recommended adjustments to the scoring of certain items, as follows: three (3) cognitive items
    were identifred (two items on Form B2 and one item on Form Dl) for which one additional
    response option in addition to the originally keyed response would be counted as "full credit";
    and six (6) noncognitive items were identified for which full credit would be awarded for any of
    the response options. The TVB also awarded partial credit for six (6) additional noncognitive items.

Excuse the staggered text. Don't have time to fix it at the moment.
    I'm still looking for this and can't find it. You must be the king of googling stuff or something. Now regarding to the grading, this is actually good news to some. That means that no answers will be switched so what ever you had full credit for you will still have full credit for. Now is just a matter of hoping that some of the PC questions you had are some of the ones that they will give FC for all answers. Gimmefire you need to guide me in getting a hold of this report man! Lol

Thread Information