Like Tree11256Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Well then have fun in tier 6!
    what tier are you in?

because it must be the saltiest.
    HopefulFF, JerkAlert and Jukez like this.

Forum Member
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

Gimmefire, did it say anywhere in that report about exam C ?
    Last edited by FdnytolifeE293; 10-01-2012 at 04:04 PM.
    I will not tire, I will not falter, and I will not fail!!!

Forum Member

Can anyone explain how the questions in parts 1-3 will be weighted as less than a point each. If i am correct, the scoring was broken down as follows. 50% of your grade comes from parts 1-4 and 50% of your grade comes from part 5. Breaking it down even more, sections1-3 were worth 70% of that 50% and section 4 was scored 30% of that 50%. This means that sections 1-3 are worth 35% of the overall test score and section 4 is worth 15% of the entire test. That being said there are only 26 questions in sections 1-3. Assuming all of these questions are weighted equally each question would be worth ~ 1.35pts.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    I'm still looking for this and can't find it. You must be the king of googling stuff or something. Now regarding to the grading, this is actually good news to some. That means that no answers will be switched so what ever you had full credit for you will still have full credit for. Now is just a matter of hoping that some of the PC questions you had are some of the ones that they will give FC for all answers. Gimmefire you need to guide me in getting a hold of this report man! Lol
    This gentleman has previously stated that because of his job, he has access to court documents which would other wise cost money.
    So i dont think it can be googled.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bensonhurstlovesme View Post
    This gentleman has previously stated that because of his job, he has access to court documents which would other wise cost money.
    So i dont think it can be googled.

"Those scores are factoring in all bonus points and changes made after the protest session.

Can't link it. Just google access to court docs, fyi its not free."

I'm just following what he said....

Forum Member

so do we know how much partial credits are worth on the psych? You guys are awesome with the info, thanks.

Cable guy, you made me lol with the last few lines of your post. Thanks for the info.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 10-01-2012 at 07:09 PM.

Forum Member

The last 10 pages of this forum is guys n gals asking how much questions are worth and how much partial credit.. whats the point? scores out wednesday guys, you guys got what you got.. goodluck to everyone on this forum... i spoke to people who took this test and they dont even know the test was passed lol.. its clear we deserve it
    nycthirteen and Bellestoria like this.

Forum Member

If the scores are published Wednesday does that mean we could call up the automated DCAS number and get our results on Wednesday

IFR
    MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    If the scores are published Wednesday does that mean we could call up the automated DCAS number and get our results on Wednesday
    I was wondering the same thing. I have called the automated number several times, and each time it states that the information is current as of the previous Sunday. If I had to guess, I would say it won't be updated until the following Sunday, October 7th. That's just speculation though.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by IFR View Post
    I was wondering the same thing. I have called the automated number several times, and each time it states that the information is current as of the previous Sunday. If I had to guess, I would say it won't be updated until the following Sunday, October 7th. That's just speculation though.
    I could be wrong but I think it will only be on there once the list has been established.

Forum Member

I bet we will get emails from the city/psi with information on how to log in to a website to see our score/info, just the same as we had to sign up for the protest review online. A copy will also be mailed too, but as they said in the Law Department press release that will take a few days.

Forum Member

Anyone make the hearing today?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    I bet we will get emails from the city/psi with information on how to log in to a website to see our score/info, just the same as we had to sign up for the protest review online. A copy will also be mailed too, but as they said in the Law Department press release that will take a few days.
    "Exam results and individual scores WILL NEVER be available from this website. NY DCAS will release exam scores later this year."

Got this straight from the psi website. So you can scratch PSI off in that assumption.

Forum Member

Any one going to the hearings tom? is it still 8:00

Can't believe the Post actually printed this all in the newspaper. It's like poetry.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion...ygu9BJezG15sFP

Today, federal Judge Nicholas Garaufis is opening his court to those who object to his remedial order in the discrimination lawsuit against the FDNY. So many have signed up, he’s already had to extend the session to four days, even though he’s only allowing two minutes of testimony per person.

It’s still too little, too late: As a matter of simple justice, the Second Court of Appeals needs to grant New York City’s request to overturn Garaufis’ recent rulings, and hand the case to a different judge. He’s shown himself to be hopelessly biased as well as arrogant.

NY Post: Spencer Burnett
    Garaufis: On top of everything else, sought to stifle free speech of his critics.
    His ruling on Friday, allowing the department to hire off the city’s latest civil-service exam, doesn’t change that. Indeed, there are serious grounds to worry that the city watered down this test to a dangerous degree in order to comply with Garaufis’ outrageous dictates.

The evidence for Garuafis’ bias starts with the fact that he granted summary judgment in favor of the Vulcan Society’s claim that the city intentionally discriminated against minorities with its firefighter exam.

This was shocking, because all precedent says that summary judgment should only be granted if there’s no serious question of fact — and the city had reams and reams of evidence to disprove the Vulcans’ claims.

Simply put, Garaufis simply ignored the city’s expensive and extensive efforts to integrate the FDNY (including quota hiring in the 1970s and more than $20 million spent on minority recruitment since 1989). Because he doesn’t like the racial balance the tests produce, he declared the FDNY to be “a stubborn bastion of white- male privilege.”

This, from a member of the federal bench — which has about the same percentage of white men as the FDNY.

Add to this Garaufis’ overreach. In this stage of the overall case, Garaufis found fault exclusively with certain FDNY civil-service exams. The courts specifically refused the Vulcans’ request to bring in issues such as recruitment and the character-review process.

By precedent, this means that Garaufis’ remedies are supposed to focus exclusively on the FDNY exams — yet in fact his “remedy” ruling stretched to cover department recruiting and character review, among other issues.

To appreciate the great irony here, realize that Garaufis is clearly guilty of what he considers misconduct within the Fire Department.

It galls the judge that firefighters have a habit of recommending the job to friends and family — even though those friends and family still have to pass a competitive examination to qualify. (And even though the Vulcans do much the same with their friends and family.)

Yet Garaufis himself, in this very case, has named the partner of a friend to a lucrative position — without any sort of competitive vetting process.

Specifically, last November the judge named Mark Cohen as the special monitor overseeing the FDNY for the court, authorized to review and approve any aspect of the FDNY hiring process as well as to overhaul the procedure for investigating discrimination complaints.

Cohen’s name wasn’t submitted for consideration by any of the parties. In fact, the Vulcan Society — the main plaintiff in the case — objected to him. We don’t know why; maybe the Vulcans were worried that Cohen doesn’t have much civil-rights or labor experience. (Or maybe they disliked the fact that he has no background in firefighting or disaster relief.)

The judge gave Cohen the job anyway.

Cohen is a law partner of Lawrence Gresser. And Gresser and his wife, Carole, are very good friends of Nicholas Garaufis from the Queens political world. They’ve even attended the annual New Year’s Day party at the Garaufis home.

Also troubling is that, one week before Cohen’s appointment was announced, the law firm of Cohen and Gresser signed a 10-year lease for the 19th floor at 800 Third Ave., adding to their offices on the 20th and 21st floors. Cohen’s employment as special monitor is expected to last 10 years.

One more bit of insult: Garaufis has refused the city’s request to review Cohen’s billing for his special-monitor work, so no one except Garaufis knows what he’s done to earn the $855,000 he’s already charged the city’s taxpayers.

Let me close with one final bit of outrageous conduct that should get Garaufis tossed off the case: his attempts to chill the free speech of those who criticize his rulings.

Last August, the judge summoned Fire Commisioner Salvatore Cassano to his courtroom specifically to ask what actions the commissioner could take against “senior uniformed officials” who “were writing columns in the newspaper” or “criticizing the process or the litigation here.” The commissioner had to explain the obvious First Amendment issues to the judge.

If any more evidence were needed that Judge Garaufis has lost all objectivity in this case, that incident alone should do it.

Paul Mannix is president of Merit Matters, a group advocating equal opportunity and adequate hiring standards for the FDNY. He is an active-duty FDNY deputy chief, but these opinions are his own as a private citizen.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 10-01-2012 at 11:14 PM.
    River6019 and SmokeShowing307 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    "Exam results and individual scores WILL NEVER be available from this website. NY DCAS will release exam scores later this year."

Got this straight from the psi website. So you can scratch PSI off in that assumption.
    Well lets hope then that DCAS will be nice enough to announce when they start the mailings.

Forum Member

I just really hate this " scores will be published". This gives me hope that I might see my score Wednesday, Those bastards! Haha

Forum Member

are people welcomed/encouraged to go the court tom?

Forum Member

Hey guys I have a question would a traffic violation for examples running a red light, would that put a bump in the road of me bein hired? Just happened to me I just want to know if I should take action or just pay it.

Forum Member

I went this morning to the hearing there were a lot of great speeches presented before the judge. I would love to here Cheif Manix make his speech that should be a good one!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    Straight from PSI's report to the court.

A Test Validation Board (TVB) was convened as required by NY Civil Service Law and court
    order, during the month of June 2012 to review and adjudicate item protests that were submitted
    by candidates during formal test review sessions conducted after the test administration. The
    TVB was comprised of three members, one chosen by the City, one chose by the Firefighter's
    union, and one chosen by the Court in response to a motion hled by the City. The purpose of the
    TVB was to review and adjudicate item protests submitted by candidates who attended protest
    review sessions in May 2012, after the test administration had been completed. The TVB
    recommended adjustments to the scoring of certain items, as follows: three (3) cognitive items
    were identifred (two items on Form B2 and one item on Form Dl) for which one additional
    response option in addition to the originally keyed response would be counted as "full credit";
    and six (6) noncognitive items were identified for which full credit would be awarded for any of
    the response options. The TVB also awarded partial credit for six (6) additional noncognitive items.

Excuse the staggered text. Don't have time to fix it at the moment.
    a little confused, iam guessing that b2 and d1 are exams b and d, also the 6 pc for noncognative items stated in the last sentnce... what does that mean? does that mean the valueof 6 pc questions were tacked on to every test grade like extra credit or something? iam pretty surprised that that was all the changes made to all exams after protest

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FutureFirefighter2000 View Post
    Hey guys I have a question would a traffic violation for examples running a red light, would that put a bump in the road of me bein hired? Just happened to me I just want to know if I should take action or just pay it.
    Was it a officer that pulled you over or a camera summons?
    If it was a camera your fine. I would stay away from looking like a rushing speeding nut who flys through stop signs, when your taking an emergency services job into consideration.
    Everyone cross your T's and dot your i's. You dont want to have gone through all this s hit to finally get on the list then have something silly like a fight, arrest, summons, etc get in the way.
    think three times before you do everything ladies.

Forum Member

Also: make sure you always have a clean butt hole. you never know.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bensonhurstlovesme View Post
    Was it a officer that pulled you over or a camera summons?
    If it was a camera your fine. I would stay away from looking like a rushing speeding nut who flys through stop signs, when your taking an emergency services job into consideration.
    Everyone cross your T's and dot your i's. You dont want to have gone through all this s hit to finally get on the list then have something silly like a fight, arrest, summons, etc get in the way.
    think three times before you do everything ladies.
    Yeah it was an officer unfortunately but it didn't say speeding or anything it just said went through read I don't know if I should fight it because its my word against his and I was in the wrong I was just wondering if that it would derail me in the future... I mean this is the only blemish on my license so I didn't think it would be a big deal you know.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FutureFirefighter2000 View Post
    Yeah it was an officer unfortunately but it didn't say speeding or anything it just said went through read I don't know if I should fight it because its my word against his and I was in the wrong I was just wondering if that it would derail me in the future... I mean this is the only blemish on my license so I didn't think it would be a big deal you know.
    If you were about to get hired I would say plee guilty. Wait till you get your score this week, if you don't score high enough to be in the 2nd/3rd class then just fight it. Having an open case can put you on Hold during your process.
    Last edited by Jukez; 10-02-2012 at 12:44 AM.

Forum Member

I would just fight it, or do whatever you want. You got a while to go before you should be worrying about it. Really the most important thing with the background investigation is being up front about everything. Pleading guilty about running a red isn't gonna kill your chances, lying about the incident, or not disclosing it will though.

Thread Information