Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 1208 FirstFirst ... 41112131415161724641145141014 ... LastLast
Like Tree9401Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    Deadline was extended because the City wrote that they wanted to recruit at additional events especially Sunday's African American Day Parade.

Breakdown for this exam as of yesterday: 21.4% black, 22.8% hispanic, and 6.7% female.
    Hopefully this will shoot down any claims of "racism" this time...just wishful thinking

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkjets75 View Post
    Hopefully this will shoot down any claims of "racism" this time...just wishful thinking
    Nope Coombs (head of the Vulcans) got quoted in the paper the other day that until he sees this "change" on the job then he won't be happy. This bull**** will never end.

Forum Member

If you care to know more about John Coombs please check out a video that he is on found at Youtube. African American Legends If you listen at the 4:44min mark he does believe there has been an improvement but judging from his body language and speech he still seems dissatisfied. Since PSI is going to be given this test which is the same test for LA County Be A Firefighter if you scroll to about 2/3 of the page it list recommended reading material. Hope this helps. If you need motiviation Dakota Meyer MOH I look forward to meeting some of you in the months to come.

Forum Member

Well if its anything like LA County it will consist personality q's, math, chart reading(it was farly easy). I cant imagine they will have a % cut off on the written, and I dont see them having an interview process???

Forum Member

For all of you guys asking about private practice classes and practice books and everything, here's the best one I've found for this test so far:

Name:  hammer_sm.jpg
Views: 1972
Size:  6.9 KB

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by prospectff View Post
    If you care to know more about John Coombs please check out a video that he is on found at Youtube. African American Legends If you listen at the 4:44min mark he does believe there has been an improvement but judging from his body language and speech he still seems dissatisfied. Since PSI is going to be given this test which is the same test for LA County Be A Firefighter if you scroll to about 2/3 of the page it list recommended reading material. Hope this helps. If you need motiviation Dakota Meyer MOH I look forward to meeting some of you in the months to come.
    Nice post, Thanks for the information man.
    I saw the ceremony the other day for Sgt. Meyer-What an amazing story, definitely puts things in perspective.

Forum Member

Man, I feel smart I bought a Baron's book.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by prospectff View Post
    Is it possible to get the actual LA test or the practice test or material.

Forum Member

As far as finding a copy of the exact test I can't help you bud! But here is a link to another company that does exam prep for LA County which again is done by PSI. LA County Exam Prep Good Luck and only a day left unless of course they choose to extend deadline again.

Forum Member

So the registration period should finally be over right? Hopefully no more extentions? I just went to the link and it looks like its no longer active.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    So the registration period should finally be over right? Hopefully no more extentions? I just went to the link and it looks like its no longer active.
    Should be...according to the docs the city submitted this morning, there are over 61,000 applicants who have applied. They are expecting more because some geniuses applied for the promotional exam by mistake, and also mailed in applications are still being taken that were postmarked before the deadline date.

***I take it back for now. We'll see.....
    Last edited by ffbam24; 09-20-2011 at 06:06 PM.

Forum Member

I wonder how the review classes are going to be announced. I wonder if they are they going to advertise it in the newspaper.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 09-20-2011 at 01:45 PM.

Forum Member

Fire Commissioner Salvatore Cassano announced on Sept. 20 that the two-month sign-up period for the upcoming Firefighter exam has ended, with more than 61,000 people filing for the test including record-setting numbers of minorities and women.

The ethnic/racial breakdown of applicants is as follows:

WHITE
    50.5%

BLACK
    23%

HISPANIC
    23%

ASIAN
    3%

NATIVE AMER.
    0.5%

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TOTAL

Two-and-a-half times as many Blacks and Hispanics filed for this exam compared to the 2007 test (5,628 Blacks and 5,590 Hispanics), and more than three times as many women applied this year (4,261) as did in 2007 (1,401).

"Our sustained, years-long recruitment effort has attracted the largest and most diverse group of candidates ever," said Commissioner Cassano. "We successfully built on our 2006/2007 campaign to reach groups traditionally underrepresented in the firefighter ranks, and I want to thank our Office of Recruitment and Diversity for their outstanding work in reaching out and encouraging so many New Yorkers to apply for the upcoming test."

Commissioner Cassano said the Department is only halfway to its goal, however. "Now, we want to make sure all the applicants come to take the test next year," he said. The Department will be communicating updates and additional information about the exam through e-mail and phone banks, as well as social media www.twitter.com/joinFDNY and www.facebook.com/joinFDNY.

Forum Member

I don't know the amount of the desire of those 60 plus thousand who signed up, but I do know, within Two days of them announcing the test I signed up. I became EMT certified just to get a better shot at this job. I feel like it was a slap of the face to those who actually wanted the job before the million dollar plus advertising campaign plus an extension to the test. Is the type of firefighter the FDNY now wants is someone who register's for an exam last minute only due to an extension, isn't it the greatest job in the world? Then why would they recruit ungreat people? I know there's a lot of politics with the vulcan society, but as a man of color I feel like the vulcan society made it harder for me now than before the lawsuit. The Hispanic firefighter association didn't join there lawsuit for a reason. I'd rather earn my way in, then have a judge designate me in, and have an X on my back coming into a firehouse because they feel like I didn't deserve it. My heart goes out to those from FDNY test 6019, because just seeing whats going on now, I can't imagine being so close to the greatest job in the world, just to have it taken away from you. I'm overwhelmed at the number of people taking the test and my chances, granted i'm filing to become an FDNY EMT which helps a lot but still, nothing's guaranteed. I know a whole lot of people will not study, fail the physical, some might not even show up to the test. But with that I know I still have to study my butt off, and just hope that the people who want this job and life prevail more than those who just see a salary. I can't see myself having any other career but a firefighter without being miserable, I know those who really want this feel the same way.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dremarin2 View Post
    I don't know the amount of the desire of those 60 plus thousand who signed up, but I do know, within Two days of them announcing the test I signed up. I became EMT certified just to get a better shot at this job. I feel like it was a slap of the face to those who actually wanted the job before the million dollar plus advertising campaign plus an extension to the test. Is the type of firefighter the FDNY now wants is someone who register's for an exam last minute only due to an extension, isn't it the greatest job in the world? Then why would they recruit ungreat people? I know there's a lot of politics with the vulcan society, but as a man of color I feel like the vulcan society made it harder for me now than before the lawsuit. The Hispanic firefighter association didn't join there lawsuit for a reason. I'd rather earn my way in, then have a judge designate me in, and have an X on my back coming into a firehouse because they feel like I didn't deserve it. My heart goes out to those from FDNY test 6019, because just seeing whats going on now, I can't imagine being so close to the greatest job in the world, just to have it taken away from you. I'm overwhelmed at the number of people taking the test and my chances, granted i'm filing to become an FDNY EMT which helps a lot but still, nothing's guaranteed. I know a whole lot of people will not study, fail the physical, some might not even show up to the test. But with that I know I still have to study my butt off, and just hope that the people who want this job and life prevail more than those who just see a salary. I can't see myself having any other career but a firefighter without being miserable, I know those who really want this feel the same way.

Can't really say it anybetter myself......this is coming from a minority who believes the vulcans have made it much harder. And not easier for him to get on the job....being from 6019 myself and knowing the all out pain and agony I cannot deal with the vulcans and judges non sense anymore. Coombs and washibgton are
    loikibg to get back pay. We are just looking to get whats rightfully ours!!! The JOB!!!! 6019 never dying alswys breathing ......will be with me till the day I die!!!!!!!!

Forum Member

i had no idea there was that many native americans looking to be firefighters.

Forum Member

Man some of these practice tests in the "Norman Hall's" book are kind of tricky. I recommend not being too complacent fellas...
    Last edited by roadrunner09; 09-21-2011 at 11:39 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    Man some of these practice tests in the "Norman Hall's" book are kind of tricky. I recommend not being complacent fellas...
    How are they tricky? Multiple right answer kinda stuff?

Thats what I was coming across in some of the books I was studying from...
    Exam 2000
    Score: 99
    List #:4xxx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkjets75 View Post
    How are they tricky? Multiple right answer kinda stuff?

Thats what I was coming across in some of the books I was studying from...

Nah man. I'm talkin more like some of the math that's borderline physics (IMO), some reading comp that'll make your eyes glaze over, and a few memory scenes/schematics that are very tricky.

What book has those subjective/multiple answer questions? I haven't seen that in any books yet...

Thread Information