Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 147 of 1196 FirstFirst ... 47971371441451461471481491501571972476471147 ... LastLast
Results 2,921 to 2,940 of 23905
Like Tree9364Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    I think everybody needs to just ignore this clown. He's so off the wall ridiculous in his statements I don't know whether he's for quotas or against them. No point in adressing it any further.

Also Chief Mannix has a good post on the Merit Matters site today for any of you that's interested.
    Great article my chief Mannix

keep reading further down about the raids on firehouses and Merrit Matters material, also pretty intersting
    Last edited by MerritMatters; 07-17-2012 at 06:50 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    It very well could be Coombs or Washington. Based on his valiant efforts at using big words and then incorrectly spelling them as well as his utterly ridiculous beliefs, I have to agree it could be either of those numbskulls.
    ah.
    your gonna be that guy. everywhere , every forum or comment area there is always THE GUY who corrects peoples spelling and punctuation. i cant believe your that guy

Forum Member

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/fede...entrance-exams

Dunno if this was new or not . Didn't see it posted

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ICNYC View Post

I just logged on here to post the same article. Sickening.

Forum Member

I have a question about the residency points and if anyone has heard anything. I currently live in Queens and I have all the paperwork ready to prove I did a year before the filing date, took care of it the week the exam notice came out. My question is, what if I moved out of the city would I still get the points ? The exam notice stated you have to prove residency a year prior to the filing date, which I can. But what if they come back with, "you aren't living in the city anymore"? Has anyone spoke to DCAS about this or is in a similar situation ? I found a really nice apartment in Long Beach and I like it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by bensonhurstlovesme View Post
    ah.
    your gonna be that guy. everywhere , every forum or comment area there is always THE GUY who corrects peoples spelling and punctuation. i cant believe your that guy
    It's "you're" in both cases.
    Now please STFU.

Forum Member

seems pretty fair to me.
    now lets get the ball rolling and hiring starting.

Forum Member

how could anybody be comfortable with racial quota hiring... I rather battle fires with somebody qualified

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jcasler View Post
    how could anybody be comfortable with racial quota hiring... I rather battle fires with somebody qualified
    See the thing is with quota hiring it gets u in the room but it doesn't keep you there. My thing is it doesn't matter what kind of hiring they do once everyone gets to the academy everyone is equal. What keeps you there is your hard works, mental toughness , and versatility. Whatever the process is means nothing because if your not a hard worker it will show regardless. Anyone who gets outta that academy is qualified because they worked hard enough to get through it. You have to think about it from all points of view

Forum Member

This person contradicts himself every page.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

See the thing is with quota hiring it gets u in the room but it doesn't keep you there. My thing is it doesn't matter what kind of hiring they do once everyone gets to the academy everyone is equal. What keeps you there is your hard works, mental toughness , and versatility. Whatever the process is means nothing because if your not a hard worker it will show regardless. Anyone who gets outta that academy is qualified because they worked hard enough to get through it. You have to think about it from all points of view

I see your point but some people will still make it through academy who are taking some one else's earned spot. If pressure is put on the dept to start pushing them through or not, there is some one who got a job or even an opportunity that belonged to another due to skin color.

What's up with that article? are quotas still on the table? How is the appeals process looking.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 07-18-2012 at 07:48 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    I have a question about the residency points and if anyone has heard anything. I currently live in Queens and I have all the paperwork ready to prove I did a year before the filing date, took care of it the week the exam notice came out. My question is, what if I moved out of the city would I still get the points ? The exam notice stated you have to prove residency a year prior to the filing date, which I can. But what if they come back with, "you aren't living in the city anymore"? Has anyone spoke to DCAS about this or is in a similar situation ? I found a really nice apartment in Long Beach and I like it a lot.
    i had almost a exact dilemma and decided to renew my lease in bayridge for another year in may, just beacause eventhough iam sure your still eligible for the points i didnt want to go through the hassle of changing my adress with dcas and possibly missing an important piece of mail. if you really like the place go for it, but long beach will be there next year. also in the back of my mind i thought what if the worst happens and we have to test again. by moving to long beach i would miss the 5 points since the dates were so far back from the time the test was given. i luckily managed to change my adress just in time . my very first bank statement in brooklyn is june15- july 15 2010. thank god.

long story short, yes iam sure you will get the points, but maybe play it safe in queens for another year

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    I see your point but some people will still make it through academy who are taking some one else's earned spot. If pressure is put on the dept to start pushing them through or not, there is some one who got a job or even an opportunity that belonged to another due to skin color.

What's up with that article? are quotas still on the table? How is the appeals process looking.
    From what the article says they are going with quota hiring . As per the ruling on July 5

Forum Member

Yeah, I guess this is why we are seeing so much of this lately. http://www.courthousenews.com/2012/07/10/fdny.pdf

He ruled on July 5th that he wants race based hiring along with all the back pay and retroactive seniority for people up to 43 years old. This needs to be bigger news.

Any legal buffs have an idea as to whether the city can ignore this until the appeal? Or even when the appeal process is supposed to wrap up? I'm pretty sure the "fairness hearing" in Sept will be moot if the appeal is successful before then.

Forum Member

I understand your point, but guys that are getting TO the academy over guys that performed better yet aren't going because of their skin tone isn't right. I understand you're saying people who graduate the academy deserve the job, which you're right on. But the fact those people got to the academy isn't right. There's only a certain # of list spots they're going to call off the list so if people are being given a chance they didn't deserve is the ultimate crime in this situation. It's the exact reason why quota hiring isn't right for any job.
    ffbam24 and Bellestoria like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by myles8683 View Post
    i had almost a exact dilemma and decided to renew my lease in bayridge for another year in may, just beacause eventhough iam sure your still eligible for the points i didnt want to go through the hassle of changing my adress with dcas and possibly missing an important piece of mail. if you really like the place go for it, but long beach will be there next year. also in the back of my mind i thought what if the worst happens and we have to test again. by moving to long beach i would miss the 5 points since the dates were so far back from the time the test was given. i luckily managed to change my adress just in time . my very first bank statement in brooklyn is june15- july 15 2010. thank god.

long story short, yes iam sure you will get the points, but maybe play it safe in queens for another year
    Exactly, it's better to be safe than sorry. I lost out on residency points this time around because I moved to Rockland after the 2007 test...

You did not "earn" nor "deserve" the job if you got it based on a quota hiring.

Scores, merit and rank-order hiring. Plain, simple and fair.
    It's the way it's been done. It's the way it should be.
    Last edited by ffbam24; 07-18-2012 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    I think you're fine. The NOE outlined the exact dates that were applicable in order to receive the points.
    DCAS has nothing to do with it, they just administer the test. I recommend calling the Investigations Unit at 9MT with your question to clarify. It was my BI who actually called me and verified my address back then.

Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    Yeah, I guess this is why we are seeing so much of this lately. http://www.courthousenews.com/2012/07/10/fdny.pdf

He ruled on July 5th that he wants race based hiring along with all the back pay and retroactive seniority for people up to 43 years old. This needs to be bigger news.

Any legal buffs have an idea as to whether the city can ignore this until the appeal? Or even when the appeal process is supposed to wrap up? I'm pretty sure the "fairness hearing" in Sept will be moot if the appeal is successful before then.
    I think that is exactly what is going on. One thing I can say about hizzoner is that he has not backed down from his stance against the quotas. It's the one thing we at the firehouse actually applaud him for.
    From what the article says they are going with quota hiring . As per the ruling on July 5
    Quotas are NOT in effect, therefore we are currently NOT hiring.

Forum Member

Is there a time frame when the outcome of the appeal is supposed to be determined?

Thread Information