Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 154 of 1158 FirstFirst ... 541041441511521531541551561571642042546541154 ... LastLast
Results 3,061 to 3,080 of 23144
Like Tree9075Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

Even if they give the priority hiring a go, I highly doubt that they will get exactly 293 people to pass every single step in this hiring process. I would hope The majority of them are out of shape and also got a kick *** job and they said the hell with the FDNY I'm living comfortable. But that's just wishful thinking. I don't know about those people from the past, I studied my butt off for this exam. Especially because no one knew what the test was going to be like and I got what i got period. These older candidates knew exactly what was going to be on the exam, I mean they were told about good books to study by. Now for a person to have a 25 as a score shows that they didn't put any determination into passing their exam.
    Test 2000
    Score 97
    List#700X
    Do I stand a chance?

I will not tire, I will not falter, and I will not fail!!!

Forum Member

Horrible idea not to give the EMT's the go, now instead of them not competing with the open competitive list they'll be all included into it as their list will be released with ours.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Reverse View Post
    Horrible idea not to give the EMT's the go, now instead of them not competing with the open competitive list they'll be all included into it as their list will be released with ours.

One of the posts made it sound like they weren't putting a complete halt to the EMTs, they just weren't publishing their list.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Reverse View Post
    How can you give the emt's a go when the judge hasn't even ok'd the test? It just makes sense to have the test approved before you start spending money to get these guys processed etc for it to just mean $hit if the judge doesn't approve the exam, excuse me, if the judge doesn't approve the results that is.

Its a slight delay for emt's but it appears that approving the exam is a top priority of many parties involved in the case. Granted for different reasons: the city needs firefighters and the Vulcan's can feel the appeal at their backs. Although the Vulcan's have won the lawsuit they really have not reaped any of the rewards of the suit. Hopefully they never will.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    Would you guys rather have the list out now, with minority priority hiring, or have the list out in 6 more months or longer without minority hiring?
    i like to have my cake and eat it too. so i would choose both

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    According to the city's document informing the court of the intention to hire from list #2500, the city "anticipates that approximately 300 promotional candidates from this list will be appointed in January of 2013 and complete their training in May 2013. The city anticipates that it will appoint another class of 300 firefighters in the summer of 2013."

They also replied to concerns of disadvantages to priority hires and state, "In light of the fact that the City anticipates hiring 600 firefighters a year for the next two years at least, there will be ample opportunity to accommodate 293 priority hires once they are identified.

It should be noted that the Vulcan's have even asked Garaufis to expedite the process of approving the exam so that hiring may commence as soon as possible.
    Source? This is great news. That's why I'm questionable

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    One of the posts made it sound like they weren't putting a complete halt to the EMTs, they just weren't publishing their list.
    I tend to avoid posts that seem definitive without a source or my personal favorite, an opinon hidden in a source with a hint of truth.

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    How can you give the emt's a go when the judge hasn't even ok'd the test? It just makes sense to have the test approved before you start spending money to get these guys processed etc for it to just mean $hit if the judge doesn't approve the exam, excuse me, if the judge doesn't approve the results that is.

Its a slight delay for emt's but it appears that approving the exam is a top priority of many parties involved in the case. Granted for different reasons: the city needs firefighters and the Vulcan's can feel the appeal at their backs. Although the Vulcan's have won the lawsuit they really have not reaped any of the rewards of the suit. Hopefully they never will.
    GIMMEFIRE, I know that's the case and sadly you can't argue out of it. But as someone on the open competitive who has no clue where my list number will be, I generally was hoping to have them open up the EMT list without it being concurrent with the OCL for the reason that their list is as good until they have another promo exam that does happen every two years generally and our list would last a little longer.

Do I agree with the decision, from a legal standpoint it's on firm ground especially if you were trying to fast track it so I can disagree but can't be upset and only hope the OCL is open longer; hopefully!

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYorDIETRYIN View Post
    Source? This is great news. That's why I'm questionable
    NY Post article it mentions the Vulcans want this moved along.

Forum Member

From Thomson Reuters

http://newsandinsight.thomsonreuters. com/New_York/News/2012/08_-_August/Lawyers_seek_$8_mln_in_FDNY_di scrimination_case/

Lawyers seek $8 mln in FDNY discrimination case

NEW YORK, Aug 23 (Reuters) - Lawyers representing a group of minority firefighters in a 5-year-old discrimination lawsuit against the New York City Fire Department are seeking more than $8 million in fees, according to papers filed in Brooklyn federal court on Thursday.

Attorneys from Levy Ratner and Scott and Scott, as well as the non-profit Center for Constitutional Rights, submitted the fee application to U.S. District Judge Nicholas Garaufis, who has been overseeing the high-profile dispute. They were retained on a contingency basis by the Vulcan Society, a fraternal organization of black firefighters that successfully challenged the FDNY's recruitment and hiring practices.

"This is a complex class action employment litigation which has spanned more than five years and has significantly altered the landscape of New York City firefighter hiring," the motion stated.

New York City countered in a reply brief that the fees should be "substantially reduced as excessive, duplicative, unnecessary, vague and, in some cases, highly questionable." The city said the judge should not decide the fee motion until the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals rules on the city's appeal of the underlying case. The outcome could impact the degree of success, which is one factor used to calculate a contingency fee.

Richard Levy of Levy Ratner said that he stood by the application and that the city "completely misunderstood the facts and how we did our billing."

The New York City Law Department declined to comment beyond its brief. The U.S. Attorney's office in Brooklyn, which filed the initial complaint against the FDNY, declined comment.

This is not the first time fees have been a point of contention in the litigation. New York City has filed several motions asking Garaufis to reject a court-appointed monitor's fee requests. Garaufis has declined them every time.

The 2007 lawsuit accused the FDNY of using hiring tests that discriminated against black and Hispanic candidates. In a series of rulings, Garaufis held that between 1999 and 2007, the department's written examinations had "discriminatory effects" on minority applicants and ordered sweeping reforms of the hiring process.

In March, Garaufis said the city may owe as much as $128.7 million in gross back pay to black and Hispanic firefighter candidates who were either denied employment or had their employment delayed as a result of the tests. In the fee motion, Vulcan Society lawyers said that up to $82 million of that would go to black victims.

Fees for the Vulcan Society lawyers would be paid by the city rather than come out of the back pay award, according to attorneys for both parties.

The case is U.S. v. City of New York, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York. No. 07-2067.
    Last edited by retired senior; 08-24-2012 at 01:06 AM.

Forum Member

I wonder if these lawyers get paid if the Vulcan's case gets overturned. Would be hysterical if they got nothing.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    I wonder if these lawyers get paid if the Vulcan's case gets overturned. Would be hysterical if they got nothing.
    Let's pray they get nothing
    sffdnyhopeful09 likes this.

Forum Member

In the second paragraph of the article it says the lawyers "were retained on a contingency basis by the Vulcan Society". An online legal dictionary defines a contingent fee as "Payment to an attorney for legal services that depends, or is contingent, upon there being some recovery or award in the case."
    So if the appeals court reverses the decision, it appears the attorneys will be left empty handed. No recovery or award, no fee.
    Last edited by retired senior; 08-25-2012 at 02:24 AM.

Forum Member

How often is the EMS promotional given out?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EBHFD68 View Post
    How often is the EMS promotional given out?
    Same as OC

Forum Member

-As per the "notice of proposed relief order & fairness hearing": a fairness hearing has been scheduled for October 1st and October 2nd if necessary.

DCAS can't make a move until this litigation is over with. If the court order stands AS IS, DCAS should get the green light to generate a ranked list.

-As per the "Fire fighter: Exam 2000, Notice of examination": "Candidates who pass the computer-based test will be scheduled to take the physical ability test prior to admission to the Fire Academy as vacancies occur."

With this information in mind I'm hoping for the CPAT process to begin around November. This theory is based off of nothing more than hope and a prayer. I don't expect any progress until the fairness hearing is over though, that's a safe bet.

Forum Member

Correct me I Iam wrong but the letter that we all got from Dcas stated that the fairness hearing didn't involve 2000 just the previous tests since 2000 was supervised by the court. Which I thought meant that the evolution of 2000 as far as scores and list rankings was a totally separate entity from the fairness hearing again that was just how I perceived the letter

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by myles8683 View Post
    Correct me I Iam wrong but the letter that we all got from Dcas stated that the fairness hearing didn't involve 2000 just the previous tests since 2000 was supervised by the court. Which I thought meant that the evolution of 2000 as far as scores and list rankings was a totally separate entity from the fairness hearing again that was just how I perceived the letter

Myles, I believe the judge does not want to put out the results now bc they are going to be very simiar to 6019 results and he will look like an idiot and will envoke the 3/5 rule (3 minorities to 2 whites)
    I believe he is just stalling until after the fairness hearings....The only way his plan can backfire is if the appelate court overules and puts this case to trial by jury,,,,,But for right now he is bidding his time bc he knows that the test results arent in the blacks favor.......and he doesnt want to look like an idiot the way he and the vulcans did before with only 1% black increase in the 2000 test.

Forum Member

I don't know when to expect lists to be released for #2000/#2500, though it seems like September/October is not entirely a bad guess at this point (don't get your hopes up). What I do know is the department is dying to start the process and start to plug the huge expensive hole in their budget that the hiring freeze created. The day DCAS generates lists is the day they start the process to get people going through the CPAT (which is a 3 month ordeal in itself). Unfortunately for anyone on #2000 the rumor mill where I am has been that the first class or 2 will be entirely EMS, as to exhaust #2500. The information quoted by gimmefire600 seems to match that.

Regardless, if you aren't already running and going to the gym then you are behind.

Forum Member

Does any one have any idea how they will grade it yet? even a rumor?

Forum Member

Default ?

So there's a rumors going around that 2000 and 2500 have been put on hold until futher notice has anyone else herd about this? My instructor running a physical class just told me about it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FutureFirefighter2000 View Post
    So there's a rumors going around that 2000 and 2500 have been put on hold until futher notice has anyone else herd about this? My instructor running a physical class just told me about it.
    Can you elaborate further on what that means...

Also, what do you mean by your instructor running a physical class...

Thread Information