Like Tree9542Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    Did I log into the firehouse forums or "The View" forums for F's sake?
    LMAO Point taken.

Forum Member

First off im fairly new to the thread so I apologize if I ask something thats already been answered previously.

I scored a 103, List #6XX and feel like i have have a pretty goood chance of making it into the first class. My question is when do most people anticipate the first class will start to take shape? Im slated to start college in January and am wondering whether I'll have my 15 credits by the time I'm called upon.

Forum Member
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

1324 Forest Avenue
    Suite 102
    Staten Island, NY 10302
    meritmatters@gmail.com
    http://meritmattersusa.blogspot.com
    __________________________________________________ ___________________

October 8, 2012

Well, whaddya know!

Based on his score, the nephew of Judge Nicholas Garaufis was probably not going to be hired from the last FDNY hiring list, but he now has a very good list number resulting from a test crafted at the Judge’s direction and approved by him.

How about that?

To be sure, our quarrel is not with the nephew. That said, we cannot ignore the fact that a family member is a direct beneficiary of this Judge’s rulings – a reason our lawyers Sullivan and Galleshaw cited in their amicus brief as a basis why the judge should have recused himself and should now be removed from the case if the appeal is successful. This development – especially when so many innocent people have had their lives unfairly impacted by this lawsuit and the decisions of Nicholas Garaufis – cannot be ignored.

Here are the facts: Michael G. Garaufis Jr. was number 6953 on List #6019, which resulted from the January 2007 test. The last numbers reached (approximately) on the two previous tests – the tests originally the focus of the lawsuit – are below:

Test 7029 (given 1999) – List number 6200

Test 2043 (given 2002) – List number 5656

The last number reached on List 6019 (2007) was only 886 because further hiring from this list was blocked by Judge Garaufis. As stated in the Merit Matters Amicus Curiae brief filed in January 2012, “…the nephew is a direct beneficiary of the judicial decision to preclude the use of hiring in rank order from exam #6019 to fill vacancies, as such an effectual discarding of that tests list means another bite at the apple, with the opportunity of scoring higher on a future exam”.

During a conference on June 5, 2007 the judge advised the city that his nephew had taken test #6019 at a time when test #6019 was NOT a part of this lawsuit. Curiously, and in a poorly advised decision, the city indicated that this was not a problem. Well, very shortly thereafter it became an apparent problem when the Judge on his own sought to incorporate 6019 into the lawsuit. 6019 plays a significant role in this litigation – just ask the numerous Candidates who were scheduled to go into the next Academy class, or were higher on the list than Michael Garaufis, and who now will not be hired because the most recent test gave equal weight to questions that tested for knowledge and those that asked opinions (and be advised – we will be issuing a commentary on the most recent test very soon).

What does the law say with regards to judicial recusal? Glad you asked. The U.S. Code (28 U.S.C. Section 455) states:

Any justice, judge, or magistrate judge of the United States shall disqualify himself in any proceeding in which his impartiality might reasonably be questioned.

He shall also disqualify himself in the following circumstances:
    He or his spouse, or a person within the third degree of relationship to either of them, or the spouse of such a person…is known by the judge to have an interest that could be substantially affected by the outcome of the proceeding.

Yes, a nephew is within the third degree of relationship according to this law.

Empathy is another word for bias, and a judge is not supposed to have a bias. Did empathy for his nephew, who lives nearby, play a role in Garaufis’ decisions? A New York Times article out today seems to indicate empathy may be playing too large a role, in that when he was assigned the FDNY case he asked a black judge, “How does it feel to be a black person in society?”.

One of the firefighters speaking last week during the Fairness Hearing asked him if he was driven by “inner guilt”, and now, in that same Times article, we learn he vigorously opposed integration of his local school district in the 1970s and was called a racist by black parents. Is guilt and bias driving Nicholas Garaufis?

Paul Mannix
    President
    Merit Matters

Read more: http://fdnyrant.proboards.com/index....#ixzz28jxhBbLh
    Test 2000
    Score 97
    List#700X
    Do I stand a chance?

I will not tire, I will not falter, and I will not fail!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by IronFireE5 View Post
    Why is that crazy? the NYPD exam is literally given there exam for anyone to take every single month out of the year! Instead of going down 15-20% of list every 4-5 years go down 5-10% of the list every 2 years. More applicants will be able to the take the test thus, statistically speaking,the "crème de la crème" will have a chance at getting in.

NYPD gives exam all the time because only ten percent of applicants make it thru due to strict background checks and psychs they also are 3x the size and academy classes Are much larger also every person who passes the exam will be called eventually regardless of list no as they also process multiple exams at a time the older one is never thrown out until 5 years

Also GIMMEFIRE600

I think a competitive physical would have been awesome. We have then in the military and it actual helps to separate the guys who take their careers seriously from the ones that don't. The squared-away guys actual put in the time to stay in shape. Also, you do need men with above average strength and endurance levels to do this job so it would be a very applicable addition to the exam.
    So not necessarily creme de le creme but cleanest records and not based on exam success or physical fitness

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FdnytolifeE293 View Post
    First off, don't involve me in this bs Convo. The only reason I said that in rant was because it would be really nice to let some of the 6019ers try again. I'm sure they would agree too or if not At the least extend the age limit. Now don't get cocky with your score/list number, there are many unknowns in this whole process and then again the academy ALWAYS keep that in mind buddy. Just because you took psychology in college donesnt Make you any better than anyone on this list. If your so good at being a psyc then go become one. Plus they make more money.
    Quote Originally Posted by FDNYorDIETRYIN View Post
    Btw to those who are in the October class, I'm hearing a rumor that the promo exam to fire is going to be offered every 4 years instead of 2 now. If anyone remembers to ask; possibly during orientation, I'd appreciate it and I'm pretty sure everyone else looking to move up would as well.
    This speaks for itself.

Also, unrelated: They went with the CPAT for a reason, and they aren't going back to a competitive physical.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY_HOPEFUL View Post
    First off im fairly new to the thread so I apologize if I ask something thats already been answered previously.

I scored a 103, List #6XX and feel like i have have a pretty goood chance of making it into the first class. My question is when do most people anticipate the first class will start to take shape? Im slated to start college in January and am wondering whether I'll have my 15 credits by the time I'm called upon.
    First class is anticipated to start in January and it will be exclusively for the promotional guys given the numbers I've seen but

Read the NOE, you don't need 15 credits

HOW TO QUALIFY FOR APPOINTMENT:
    Education and Experience Requirements: By the date of appointment, you must have a four-year high school
    diploma or its educational equivalent, and:
    1. 15 college semester credits earned as a result of satisfactory completion of course work at a college or university
    accredited by an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education and the Council for Higher
    Education Accreditation (“CHEA”); or
    2. full-time U.S. military service with an honorable discharge; or
    3. 6 months of full-time, satisfactory paid work experience.
    You don't have 6 months of full time, paid work exp?

Forum Member

whats up guys...this is my first post. I took exam 2000 and scored a 99, my list # is 34xx so i am hoping to expect a call hopefully within the next few years. I was wondering if anybody knows if they give a colorblind test as part of the eye exam. I have 20/20 vision, but am red-green color blind, so i am a little nervous.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FdnytolifeE293 View Post
    1324 Forest Avenue
    Suite 102
    Staten Island, NY 10302
    meritmatters@gmail.com
    http://meritmattersusa.blogspot.com
    __________________________________________________ ___________________

October 8, 2012

Well, whaddya know!

Based on his score, the nephew of Judge Nicholas Garaufis was probably not going to be hired from the last FDNY hiring list, but he now has a very good list number resulting from a test crafted at the Judge’s direction and approved by him.

How about that?

To be sure, our quarrel is not with the nephew. That said, we cannot ignore the fact that a family member is a direct beneficiary of this Judge’s rulings – a reason our lawyers Sullivan and Galleshaw cited in their amicus brief as a basis why the judge should have recused himself and should now be removed from the case if the appeal is successful. This development – especially when so many innocent people have had their lives unfairly impacted by this lawsuit and the decisions of Nicholas Garaufis – cannot be ignored.

Here are the facts: Michael G. Garaufis Jr. was number 6953 on List #6019, which resulted from the January 2007 test. The last numbers reached (approximately) on the two previous tests – the tests originally the focus of the lawsuit – are below:

Test 7029 (given 1999) – List number 6200

Test 2043 (given 2002) – List number 5656

The last number reached on List 6019 (2007) was only 886 because further hiring from this list was blocked by Judge Garaufis. As stated in the Merit Matters Amicus Curiae brief filed in January 2012, “…the nephew is a direct beneficiary of the judicial decision to preclude the use of hiring in rank order from exam #6019 to fill vacancies, as such an effectual discarding of that tests list means another bite at the apple, with the opportunity of scoring higher on a future exam”.

During a conference on June 5, 2007 the judge advised the city that his nephew had taken test #6019 at a time when test #6019 was NOT a part of this lawsuit. Curiously, and in a poorly advised decision, the city indicated that this was not a problem. Well, very shortly thereafter it became an apparent problem when the Judge on his own sought to incorporate 6019 into the lawsuit. 6019 plays a significant role in this litigation – just ask the numerous Candidates who were scheduled to go into the next Academy class, or were higher on the list than Michael Garaufis, and who now will not be hired because the most recent test gave equal weight to questions that tested for knowledge and those that asked opinions (and be advised – we will be issuing a commentary on the most recent test very soon).

What does the law say with regards to judicial recusal? Glad you asked. The U.S. Code (28 U.S.C. Section 455) states:

Any justice, judge, or magistrate judge of the United States shall disqualify himself in any proceeding in which his impartiality might reasonably be questioned.

He shall also disqualify himself in the following circumstances:
    He or his spouse, or a person within the third degree of relationship to either of them, or the spouse of such a person…is known by the judge to have an interest that could be substantially affected by the outcome of the proceeding.

Yes, a nephew is within the third degree of relationship according to this law.

Empathy is another word for bias, and a judge is not supposed to have a bias. Did empathy for his nephew, who lives nearby, play a role in Garaufis’ decisions? A New York Times article out today seems to indicate empathy may be playing too large a role, in that when he was assigned the FDNY case he asked a black judge, “How does it feel to be a black person in society?”.

One of the firefighters speaking last week during the Fairness Hearing asked him if he was driven by “inner guilt”, and now, in that same Times article, we learn he vigorously opposed integration of his local school district in the 1970s and was called a racist by black parents. Is guilt and bias driving Nicholas Garaufis?

Paul Mannix
    President
    Merit Matters

Read more: http://fdnyrant.proboards.com/index....#ixzz28jxhBbLh
    HOLY **** - I saw that name on there, and didnt want to bring it up in case the guy had no relation to the judge. This should be FRONT PAGE of every paper now.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    HOLY **** - I saw that name on there, and didnt want to bring it up in case the guy had no relation to the judge. This should be FRONT PAGE of every paper now.
    Too bad my uncle was a firefighter and not a Federal Judge or he could get the exam that I bombed out on thrown away in favor of the one that I did well on. This is justice?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bellestoria View Post
    Too bad my uncle was a firefighter and not a Federal Judge or he could get the exam that I bombed out on thrown away in favor of the one that I did well on. This is justice?
    The City Law Dept are a bunch of morons for letting this go in the first place. Talk about a "Hook-up" right? Isn't that the same thing this guy blasted from his almighty bench?

The craziest **** is that there's a chance this little clown is in the same class as me down the road.

Forum Member

The City Law Dept are a bunch of morons for letting this go in the first place. Talk about a "Hook-up" right? Isn't that the same thing this guy blasted from his almighty bench?

The craziest **** is that there's a chance this little clown is in the same class as me down the road.
    if he is, you should become friends with him, after a few years maybe the judge will return the favor and appoint you commissioner lol.

Forum Member

This whole ****ing thing is a joke and one that is going to cost me a shot at the only job I've wanted for a very long time. The fact that one ***hole in a robe can exert this much power over the Department is beyond me, I'm still in shock over how it all happened.

This time last week, I was anxious about my List #, but trying to figure out how many classes I may have to wait to get called, with the assumption that with only 1 NC on the parts of the exam that actually had Right or Wrong answers, i may have a decent shot.

Now I'm trying to figure out what to do for a career knowing that unless they raise the age limit again, the FDNY is not in the cards.

It's a disgrace, no other way to put it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pdtofd2000 View Post
    That's cool... how many years you'll have on when they call you, I'll probably have around 7 but I thinks its worth it
    I have less than a year now and I'm hoping to get called by next January the latest hopefull June/July w a little luck

Forum Member
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bellestoria View Post
    This whole ****ing thing is a joke and one that is going to cost me a shot at the only job I've wanted for a very long time. The fact that one ***hole in a robe can exert this much power over the Department is beyond me, I'm still in shock over how it all happened.

This time last week, I was anxious about my List #, but trying to figure out how many classes I may have to wait to get called, with the assumption that with only 1 NC on the parts of the exam that actually had Right or Wrong answers, i may have a decent shot.

Now I'm trying to figure out what to do for a career knowing that unless they raise the age limit again, the FDNY is not in the cards.

It's a disgrace, no other way to put it.

I strongly agree with you 100% on this one. I think we should all push to extend the age limit again. 6019 candidates deserve another shot at this in my opinion. Maybe Paul Mannix can help this become possible.

Timb open your pm.
    Last edited by FdnytolifeE293; 10-08-2012 at 07:27 PM.
    sffdnyhopeful09 likes this.
    Test 2000
    Score 97
    List#700X
    Do I stand a chance?

I will not tire, I will not falter, and I will not fail!!!

Forum Member

lol, im at 20xx so there's a chance ill be in that class too.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by IronFireE5 View Post
    First class is anticipated to start in January and it will be exclusively for the promotional guys given the numbers I've seen but

Read the NOE, you don't need 15 credits

You don't have 6 months of full time, paid work exp?
    I do and that's great news. I still plan to get those credits but that takes some pressure off.

When they say "satisfactory" is that based off of your employers judgement of your performance or does the work exp. have to be in some way relevant to fire fighting?

Forum Member

I say you have more than a chance ... Don't let the cpat sneak up on you and you not ready !!!!! I'm almost sure when **** hits the fan a lot of ppl are going to quit ... The academy is per Military ( did I say it right ?) they not ready for that !!!!!

Forum Member

Any idea how they assign your firehouse after the academy? Is it at all based on trying to keep you close to where you live?

And, any idea how much overtime probies get a month?

I'm considering switching over from nypd so it would be a decent pay cut, especially in the beginning. If you would have asked me a few years ago i'd pick fd in a heart beat, but I have to put my family first (plus I really like my job, more than I would have thought).
    Dannyvale likes this.

Forum Member

Not sure about how they assign you to a house.. As far as overtime goes, I'm sure there's always gonna be overtime for guys, but nothing like how the guys are getting it now. Everytime I talk to my brother he's working overtime cause he knows once they start hiring off our list it's gonna go away.As far as switching from being a cop to a fireman, alot of the guys in the 9th prec come into my job alot and they say the job sucked at first but as time went on they liked being a cop more and more. It's good you got options tho bud.

Forum Member

So essentially what were looking at is this. The first class mad up of "promotions" will go to the rock in January. At that point they will begin with the OC list starting at one and going down as far as they need to so they can fill the next class. Oh boy this whole process is nothing more than a good guessing game. There's so many damn factors!
    Dannyvale likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Combat medic 92 View Post
    So essentially what were looking at is this. The first class mad up of "promotions" will go to the rock in January. At that point they will begin with the OC list starting at one and going down as far as they need to so they can fill the next class. Oh boy this whole process is nothing more than a good guessing game. There's so many damn factors!
    It is a guessing game ...Point out your factors ... Tell us what you think .. Well at least I want to know what you know !!!!

Forum Member

Hey guys, I've been losing a little bit of sleep this past week and maybe one of you guys can help me. I got a pretty good list number (8xx) but I'm getting a little scared with all thus ratio talk. My medical is perfect, I work out 3 days a week and run on another 3 ( and I been doing this for years not just for this test), I have no criminal record other than moving violations from over a year ago, and I have never touched a drug. Should I be worried abouth this ratio talk?

Forum Member

So i am somewhat satisfied with my score of 100, i had 2 many PC on the personality section. my list number is just about the same as it was on 6019 - 25XX... how long do you think it will be before they get around this number? .... I'm thinking 2 yrs max. as far as the CPAT - would you suggest running distance more, or doing stair work outs more?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by knicksh2o View Post
    Hey guys, I've been losing a little bit of sleep this past week and maybe one of you guys can help me. I got a pretty good list number (8xx) but I'm getting a little scared with all thus ratio talk. My medical is perfect, I work out 3 days a week and run on another 3 ( and I been doing this for years not just for this test), I have no criminal record other than moving violations from over a year ago, and I have never touched a drug. Should I be worried abouth this ratio talk?
    If you are who you say you are, no. Keep in mind the ratio's they use not only account for people who fail a part of the process but also includes people that are on the oc but are also promos, people who cant prove residency and most importantly people who just don't show up. Also remember that on list prior to 6019, guys had already taken the physical, so they didn't have to account for failures in their ratio's then.

I think it would surprise most people the amount of people that don't follow thru for whatever the reason might be. Although this time around I'm sure most candidates are much more motivated.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by frankp88 View Post
    I have less than a year now and I'm hoping to get called by next January the latest hopefull June/July w a little luck
    Yeah that's good for you u wont even feel the pay drop ... ill go down more then half probably ... what list # are u

Thread Information