Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 159 of 1141 FirstFirst ... 59109149156157158159160161162169209259659 ... LastLast
Results 3,161 to 3,180 of 22804
Like Tree8965Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by knicksh2o View Post
    Just reporting what the daily news released today. Apparently the judge is going to hear 775 objections starting Oct 1. Suppose to last 4 days. Hopefully we get a better understanding of the situation at the conclusion of all this chaos
    Do you have a link to this article?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bellestoria View Post
    Do you have a link to this article?
    I'm having a hard time finding the article online. I read it on a hard copy of the daily news. It was just small column smacked in the middle of the paper. I don't have the paper anymore tho. If you go into acvs or grocery store maybe they still haven't thrown out yest. Papers.
    The article didn't really say much other than what I reported. 775 objections will be heard, each one will be slotted 2 minutes for his statement and it will last 4 days. It kind of hinted that the judge will make a decision at the conclusion. That's it really

Forum Member

I'm having a hard time finding the article online. I read it on a hard copy of the daily news. It was just small column smacked in the middle of the paper. I don't have the paper anymore tho. If you go into acvs or grocery store maybe they still haven't thrown out yest. Papers.
    The article didn't really say much other than what I reported. 775 objections will be heard, each one will be slotted 2 minutes for his statement and it will last 4 days. It kind of hinted that the judge will make a decision at the conclusion. That's it really

Hinted at a decision? Nice.

Forum Member

So garifius is the one looking and listening to these objections? Any other one else thee to make sure he is gonna be objective.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    So garifius is the one looking and listening to these objections? Any other one else thee to make sure he is gonna be objective.

I am not sure, but it is great news that they had to extend the fairness hearing from 2 days to 4 to get in all the people who requested to speak. Unfortunately if this judge has his mind made up already (which it appears he does) then even this impressive news may not mean anything to him. But, in the appeal process we'd hopefully get a more fair chance & then this would be something that forces people to take notice.

Forum Member

A quick summary of the physical requirements:
    -CPAT
    -Stairmaster/heart rate test @ medical (HR can not exceed 90% of your theoretical max after 5 minutes on the stairs with a 50 pound vest)
    -1.5 mile run in 13 or less minutes ~1 week before the academy starts (at this point you've been offered the job and they're just making sure you are still in good shape). If you fail this you will be sent down to headquarters that day to do another medical, and another heart rate test.. and you will most likely fail it.
    -1.5 mile run in 12 minutes or less, 30 pushups in 1 minute, 30 sit ups in 1 minute, and 4 pull ups on day 1 of the academy. If you fail any you have to do remedial work for the duration of the academy.

The department has started CPAT training for #2500 candidates and outlined all of the above at the orientation.

Forum Member

Are they giving the CPAT to all the 2500 guys or just a group of them? I would assume all of them cause we don't have scores, but I don't want to assume.

If they do all EMS promos for the first class, will they wait to CPAT us til right before the next class goes in?

Forum Member

What's the 2500?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    What's the 2500?
    EMS Promo Exam, it's #2500 like the OC exam was #2000

Forum Member

Who picked the 700+ people who are being allowed to speak at the hearings?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PHHC08 View Post
    Are they giving the CPAT to all the 2500 guys or just a group of them? I would assume all of them cause we don't have scores, but I don't want to assume.

If they do all EMS promos for the first class, will they wait to CPAT us til right before the next class goes in?
    They've been saying that they are processing all EMS candidates at the same time, since there's only about 800 of us. It seems like they expect to get at least 1 full class out of the EMS list. Don't know if they expect, or will be able to get a 2nd full class off of it. I suppose after a class makes it in they will decide whether or not to start processing OC candidates.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    They've been saying that they are processing all EMS candidates at the same time, since there's only about 800 of us. It seems like they expect to get at least 1 full class out of the EMS list. Don't know if they expect, or will be able to get a 2nd full class off of it. I suppose after a class makes it in they will decide whether or not to start processing OC candidates.
    Based on logic alone (im no insider), i would imagine the second class would be OC canindates just because they cant just take 800 EMS uniforms off the street without replacing them right?

Forum Member

Based on logic alone (im no insider), i would imagine the second class would be OC canindates just because they cant just take 800 EMS uniforms off the street without replacing them right?
    That's generally what I've heard as well. Back with 6019 they were only able to take 80 for the first class and about 200 were OC. Obviously the number they draw from EMS this time around will likely be higher but I don't think they could afford to loose 300 bodies in EMS let alone 2 full classes.

Forum Member

There's a lot of moving parts to all of this. Not all of the candidates on the EMS list will be eligible immediately, because of the requirements to have 2 years in civil service status. They seem to be making it quite clear that they expect to bang out a class of just EMS candidates ASAP (which would be January if everything goes right), and will probably prepare for another class right after that.

If a January class does go in I guess I would expect the 2nd/3rd classes to be mixes of EMS/OC. This is a whole lot of speculation though.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    There's a lot of moving parts to all of this. Not all of the candidates on the EMS list will be eligible immediately, because of the requirements to have 2 years in civil service status. They seem to be making it quite clear that they expect to bang out a class of just EMS candidates ASAP (which would be January if everything goes right), and will probably prepare for another class right after that.

If a January class does go in I guess I would expect the 2nd/3rd classes to be mixes of EMS/OC. This is a whole lot of speculation though.
    Are members of EMS allowed to take the promotional exam prior to having 2 years in civil service status?

Forum Member

Just caught this bit of info from the UFANYC meeting minutes last week. Looks like one way or the other things will be moving along very quickly in the coming weeks.

Firefighter Entrance Exam Update
    We have been informed that on 9/24/12, the City will submit its arguments to Judge Garaufis, urging him to find that the new Firefighter Entrance Exam (Exam No. 2000) was properly validated and may be used to hire new candidates. The City will also ask that the Court approve the scoring method for the test. We presently do not know if the City will suggest the typical rank order scoring or some alternate method, such as "banding." The attorneys for the Department of Justice and the Vulcan Society will also submit their arguments either supporting or opposing the validation of the new exam and the scoring method suggested by the City. Once the papers submitted by the parties are available for public review, we will advise the membership of what they contain.

On October 1st there will be a Fairness Hearing before Judge Garaufis.
    FDNYorDIETRYIN likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    Just caught this bit of info from the UFANYC meeting minutes last week. Looks like one way or the other things will be moving along very quickly in the coming weeks.

Firefighter Entrance Exam Update
    We have been informed that on 9/24/12, the City will submit its arguments to Judge Garaufis, urging him to find that the new Firefighter Entrance Exam (Exam No. 2000) was properly validated and may be used to hire new candidates. The City will also ask that the Court approve the scoring method for the test. We presently do not know if the City will suggest the typical rank order scoring or some alternate method, such as "banding." The attorneys for the Department of Justice and the Vulcan Society will also submit their arguments either supporting or opposing the validation of the new exam and the scoring method suggested by the City. Once the papers submitted by the parties are available for public review, we will advise the membership of what they contain.

On October 1st there will be a Fairness Hearing before Judge Garaufis.

The issue that may arise is that the city wants the test to be scored one way (rank order) and the vulcans may want it scored another (banding). That may be the point where they have to go to the second circuit...

Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

Quote Originally Posted by MerritMatters View Post
    The issue that may arise is that the city wants the test to be scored one way (rank order) and the vulcans may want it scored another (banding). That may be the point where they have to go to the second circuit...
    Actually, it may very well be the other way around. I believe the city and the court are gonna want to bring this proposal to the vulcans and most likely the vulcans will agree to the band scoring. The only reason is because it makes sense to band the scores in order to get more minorities on the job. This is how it was done in other cities and most likely be the case here. I just don't understand how this hearing will make any difference in this case if the judge's mind is already made up. I mean he's been attacking the FDNY for years now, I don't see how this hearing will be any different.
    Test 2000
    Score 97
    List#700X
    Do I stand a chance?

I will not tire, I will not falter, and I will not fail!!!

Forum Member

I'm not too familiar with the Banding scoring, I assume that numerical grades are basically replaced by letter grading ( a,b,c etc.). My question is what happens when you have candidates who get extra points such as residency or military, are they put in the same ranged as a person who got 100 with no extra points or are they placed on a ranged above 100?

Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    I'm not too familiar with the Banding scoring, I assume that numerical grades are basically replaced by letter grading ( a,b,c etc.). My question is what happens when you have candidates who get extra points such as residency or military, are they put in the same ranged as a person who got 100 with no extra points or are they placed on a ranged above 100?
    This is how they do it for the municipal exams take a look. http://www.cs.ny.gov/jobseeker/local/qanda.cfm
    Test 2000
    Score 97
    List#700X
    Do I stand a chance?

I will not tire, I will not falter, and I will not fail!!!

Thread Information