Like Tree10460Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Reverse View Post
    I'll admit it, that should read 700. It was great FDNY's guys made sacrafices and went with four man companies but if the union or even the evidence that burns are up is the clue, 700 should be hired and 4 man companies done away with.

By the way, I understand the 5th man is a FDNY thing compared to the rest of the country, however under the circumstances New York is one of three cities in the world that I needs this rule.

On the other side I think this is a true and in someways fair point. Racism in a lot of ways is thrown under the rug and in some cases is viewed as not racist. But more black firefighters won't solve the issue, more punishment for racists will though.
    We didnt make any "sacrifice" regarding the proper (re: "5 man") staffing of engine companies; the city made a unilateral decision at the expiration of a roster staffing agreement to remove the door FF, essentially leaving the previously-properly staffed 60 engine companies involved, as well as every other engine company across the city, undermanned.

Its "an FDNY thing" because we've got a vertical city thats like nowhere else in the country. While there are hi-rise buildings in other places, the sheer volume here is a major differentiation.

The UFA is currently involved in ongoing litigation in attempt to regain that manning.

Your opinion on racism, much like the author you quoted, is misinformed from the get-go and gets irrelevant after that. Those "credible anecdotal instances" are hearsay at best, and rapidly approach horseshlt as you listen to them.

Theres stand up members of every color, and theres piles of crap of every color too. Nobody here cares what color anyone else is, we just need each other to be 110% competent and capable. If someones not, theyre going to hear about it.
    Last edited by SkylinePCG; 10-23-2011 at 03:44 AM.
    To Persist is to Conquer.

Forum Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SkylinePCG View Post
    We didnt make any "sacrifice" regarding the proper (re: "5 man") staffing of engine companies; the city made a unilateral decision at the expiration of a roster staffing agreement to remove the door FF, essentially leaving the previously-properly staffed 60 engine companies involved, as well as every other engine company across the city, undermanned.

Its "an FDNY thing" because we've got a vertical city thats like nowhere else in the country. While there are hi-rise buildings in other places, the sheer volume here is a major differentiation.

The UFA is currently involved in ongoing litigation in attempt to regain that manning.
    Thanks a lot for the info on that. From what I read it was a union decision in order not to have more cuts to the department.

Your opinion on racism, much like the author you quoted, is misinformed from the get-go and gets irrelevant after that. Those "credible anecdotal instances" are hearsay at best, and rapidly approach horseshlt as you listen to them.

Theres stand up members of every color, and theres piles of crap of every color too. Nobody here cares what color anyone else is, we just need each other to be 110% competent and capable. If someones not, theyre going to hear about it.
    Not saying I don't agree with you; but obviously you are on the job and I am not so you have more inside info.

Forum Member

Thanks a lot for the info on that. From what I read it was a union decision in order not to have more cuts to the department.

Not saying I don't agree with you; but obviously you are on the job and I am not so you have more inside info.
    We all bring different things to the table on a forum like this. Keeping each other informed about whats going on from different perspectives is important. Its what makes this thing a useful and valuable tool.
    To Persist is to Conquer.

Forum Member

I am aware this has been discussed before but can a CURRENT member of the FDNY please confirm as when "appointment" actually occurs? Is the first day of probie school or another specific time and location so when a candidate knows when to have the proper residency identification?

Thank you!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ladders 4 View Post
    I am aware this has been discussed before but can a CURRENT member of the FDNY please confirm as when "appointment" actually occurs? Is the first day of probie school or another specific time and location so when a candidate knows when to have the proper residency identification?

Thank you!
    The day you are sworn in. Unless they change it. Which happens a lot.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Forum Member

does any one have any idea when in november this study guide will be released? or an opinion as to wether it will be released anytime soon at all?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    does any one have any idea when in november this study guide will be released? or an opinion as to wether it will be released anytime soon at all?
    December as per FDNY facebook

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lwhite2011 View Post
    December as per FDNY facebook
    Thanks, can you link me the FDNY facebook please. I keep finding what I think is the wrong FDNY facebook. Thanks again.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    Thanks, can you link me the FDNY facebook please. I keep finding what I think is the wrong FDNY facebook. Thanks again.

Welcome sir.
    http://www.facebook.com/joinFDNY

http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/html/co...nt_index.shtml

Forum Member

City asks judge for two-month delay on firefighter exams

By MITCHEL MADDUX

Last Updated: 4:03 PM, October 26, 2011

Posted: 4:02 PM, October 26, 2011
    More Print

New York City today asked a federal judge to delay the administration of upcoming firefighter entrance exams by nearly two months, partly out of concern for potential cheating.

City officials want the judge's permission to push back the testing process for aspiring FDNY firefighters from early January to either late February or March, which would allow consultants more time to develop a test that guards against plagiarism and is more fair.

Michael Cardozo, the city's chief attorney, explained in a letter to the judge that more time to further refine the test would "better ensure the integrity and security of the test."

"Given the unprecedented number of people who have applied to take the test - more than 60,000 - and the fact that the test will be administered over a nearly five week period," Cardozo wrote, "it is advisable to create additional equivalent test forms."

The city says experts helping it devise the test have proposed creating "questions which can be combined many different ways so that the delivery of questions is randomized," Cardozo wrote.

Brooklyn federal Judge Nicholas Garaufis, who is overseeing the the FDNY's hiring efforts after a Justice Department lawsuit, has not yet ruled on the city's request.

But the issue of plagiarism arose this summer when the judge held a special bench trial about hiring practices at the nation's largest fire department.

Michele Maglione, the FDNY's assistant commissioner for recruitment and diversity, testified in Brooklyn federal court that she had alerted her superiors in writing after the fire department's 2007 firefighter test that "complaints of cheating were widespread and from all five boroughs."

After informing department superiors about the cheating allegations, Maglione testified that she never saw a mobilized response to address the issue.

Her testimony in August incensed the judge, who said he was incredulous about the demonstrable lack of concern about the issue from FDNY brass.

"There was no response? It's somewhat disturbing to the court. If ever I got a memo like this, I'd jump out of my skin," the judge said to Maglione during the hearing.

Three weeks ago, Garaufis ruled that broader judicial oversight of the FDNY is needed because of the city’s “pattern and practice of discrimination against black firefighter candidates,” as well as minorities already working for it.

He has been interviewing candidates to serve as a special monitor to oversee the fire department for as many as 10 years.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/c...#ixzz1bv7mgtJa

Forum Member

that really sucks, but if this is a legit concern I'd rather wait a few months than get screwed out of a job bc of cheating.

Forum Member

absolutely. if your the first guy to take the test obviously your friends and family are gonna ask you questions about it. by making it a randomized test it will give everyone the same edge..somewhat

Forum Member

It's still gonna suck to be one of the first.

Forum Member

Default Update

Brooklyn federal Judge Nicholas Garaufis, who is overseeing the the FDNY's hiring efforts after a Justice Department lawsuit, issued an order late Wednesday that called the city's request "too vague to provide adequate notice to the more than 61,000 candidates who have applied to take the exam."

But the judge left the door open to changing the testing date and directed city officials to discuss the issue with other parties to the lawsuit, including a fraternal organization for black firefighters and the Justice Department, as well as with Mary Jo White, the court-appointed special master who is assisting the FDNY in developing a firefighter entrance test that is more fair.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/c...#ixzz1bwEyXzDl

Forum Member

So now if they don't PPD it, and the results aren't what The Vulcan's want, the first thing they can claim is cheating....throw the test out....oh boy.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    So now if they don't PPD it, and the results aren't what The Vulcan's want, the first thing they can claim is cheating....throw the test out....oh boy.
    BINGO!!! You can bet your *** that will be happening.

Forum Member

Check your emails:

FDNY Recruitment News - Profiles in Bravery: FF Sarinya Srisakul
    From the Desk of Salvatore J. Cassano, Fire Commissioner

Dear Applicant,

Congratulations on filing to take the upcoming Firefighter Examination! You are one step closer to the best job in the world.

We know you are anxious to prepare for the test. The computer-based tutorial will be available starting December 10, 2011.

Until then, we thought you would want to hear from some of New York's Bravest to find out what their experiences were like getting ready for the exam and the physical. So we have created a video series, Profiles in Bravery, dedicated to motivating and helping applicants like you who will be taking the 2012 Firefighter Exam. We find their stories inspiring. We hope you do, too.

This week we kick it off with Firefighter Sarinya Srisakul from Engine 5 in Manhattan. The 7-year veteran of the FDNY talks about why she loves being a New York City firefighter and offers advice on the hiring process.

View Firefighter Srisakul's story.

Sincerely,
    Salvatore J. Cassano
    Fire Commissioner

Forum Member

I was always skeptical of those paid prep courses, now I am a little more skeptical since the class starts before the study guide comes out. I think the class starts in november. I hope they are acquiring info on the new test from another source.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 10-27-2011 at 06:30 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    Brooklyn federal Judge Nicholas Garaufis, who is overseeing the the FDNY's hiring efforts after a Justice Department lawsuit, issued an order late Wednesday that called the city's request "too vague to provide adequate notice to the more than 61,000 candidates who have applied to take the exam."

But the judge left the door open to changing the testing date and directed city officials to discuss the issue with other parties to the lawsuit, including a fraternal organization for black firefighters and the Justice Department, as well as with Mary Jo White, the court-appointed special master who is assisting the FDNY in developing a firefighter entrance test that is more fair.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/c...#ixzz1bwEyXzDl

I'm surprised the Judge didn't take that, seeing his nephew is taking the test and likely needs more time to study. If it does get pushed back, bet your butts that it just might get even more harder.

Forum Member

I'm surprised the Judge didn't take that, seeing his nephew is taking the test and likely needs more time to study. If it does get pushed back, bet your butts that it just might get even more harder.
    His nephew is taking it??? You've got to be kidding me

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    His nephew is taking it??? You've got to be kidding me
    Actually, his nephew took the last one too and did not score high on it. Some think that's a big reason for his tyraid on the department as well.

Forum Member

Actually, his nephew took the last one too and did not score high on it. Some think that's a big reason for his tyraid on the department as well.
    So they're both rahtards huh?

Forum Member

Check your emails folks!

Forum Member

Just got an e-mail from DCAS stating the exam has been pushed back to late February early March. We should be receiving the admissions notice by December 27th.

Thread Information