Like Tree11254Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

I got reacquainted with my old best friend the step mill this morning. It's time for us to punish our quads and calfs again.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    If you are who you say you are, no. Keep in mind the ratio's they use not only account for people who fail a part of the process but also includes people that are on the oc but are also promos, people who cant prove residency and most importantly people who just don't show up. Also remember that on list prior to 6019, guys had already taken the physical, so they didn't have to account for failures in their ratio's then.

I think it would surprise most people the amount of people that don't follow thru for whatever the reason might be. Although this time around I'm sure most candidates are much more motivated.
    Okay. Thanks for the peace of mind. I agree with you that more people are motivated especially in the beginning of the list. Most of the folks around me are vets. I guess I'm going to be screwed in the academy lol.

Forum Member

Nice !! Can I join with my weight vest ??? !!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dannyvale View Post
    Nice !! Can I join with my weight vest ??? !!!
    of course. misery loves company. lol
    Dannyvale likes this.

Forum Member

HopefulFF likes this.

Forum Member

Are they really going to sit there and tell me because I haven't been to war that I'm not a vet?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pdtofd2000 View Post
    Yeah that's good for you u wont even feel the pay drop ... ill go down more then half probably ... what list # are u
    I'm between 1000 and 1100 gotta keep it a little anonomyous learned that from the pd process lol
    ffbam24 likes this.

Forum Member

Default Is there any chance

Hey guys first time poster. Just wanted to get some feedback before I leave this dream behind. I'm 26 going on 27 in a few months. Just received my score from exam 2000. Somehow, I'm not quite sure of at the moment, I scored a 92 sitting me at 19xxx. Is there any hope for me of getting on through ems or should I try to forget about this and move on. Thanks.

Forum Member

If Garaufis gets thrown off this case and or his decision is overturned I'm throwing a house party. Honestly though, he is getting a lot of media attention right now which is ironic because its not the kind he wants with his case in an appeals court.

NY times, daily news, and the post are already questioning his objectivity so I'm hoping once they hear about his nephew they run with that too. From his business partner being hired to overview a decade of hiring for the FDNY at an insane pay rate, to his nephew bombing one test that gets conveniently wrapped into a lawsuit that it had nothing to do with and thrown out, to his obvious media whoring, activism, and ignoring basic human rights like freedom of speech. This guy not only should get thrown of this case, he should be impeached. He can go try and run for state senate again for all i care.

Forum Member

If garaufis gets thrown out the case then that can open a way for a class act lawsuit from exam 6019 guys like myself who got screwed over unfairly. What do you guys think about that? Would you guys wait another few years so the people who got screwed get the chance they deserve?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    If garaufis gets thrown out the case then that can open a way for a class act lawsuit from exam 6019 guys like myself who got screwed over unfairly. What do you guys think about that? Would you guys wait another few years so the people who got screwed get the chance they deserve?
    Im with you jukez.. it would be a shame for it to happen to all the ppl that scored well on 2000 but that doesnt make what happen to us right. i just hope there is enough people backing us up. i went from next class in to potentially not having a shot! i can feel your pain!
    pdtofd2000 likes this.

Forum Member

im a peer fitness trainer for another dept took the same class as some of the fdny trainers we also give cpat as part of our process ill tell you guys like i tell all my candidates invest in a weight vest hit some stairs up nice pace no sense in running because you cant go any faster then 60 steps a min squats lunges and cardio. no avarge in shape man should need to much upper body work outs to pass but cardio and legs is what fails eveyone for us i would say if we test 50 in one day 30 wont make it off the stairs.
    Desire4theJob likes this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Combat medic 92 View Post
    Are they really going to sit there and tell me because I haven't been to war that I'm not a vet?
    Are they trying to say you don't qualify for veterans point?
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

"But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by keep6019alive View Post
    Im with you jukez.. it would be a shame for it to happen to all the ppl that scored well on 2000 but that doesnt make what happen to us right. i just hope there is enough people backing us up. i went from next class in to potentially not having a shot! i can feel your pain!
    I was ready for hire when all this happened, I would have been in the full class of 300. It just kills me that I have a few close friends who didn't do as well in this test who score in the top 2000 from exam 6019. Now they are too old and can't retake the test again in 4 years. I myself score pretty good on this one but I'm still young enough that I could retake it again in another 4 years. Hopefully along these lines something will happen that would give some guys/girls from 6019 a chance at their dream job.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    I honestly wouldn't mind if that class of 300 from 6019 that got cancelled got priority hiring over me. What happened to them was tragic. But anyone who would've been after that would be excessive at this point (myself included list # about 3000 on 6019).

That being said, even if Garaufis gets thrown off the case I can't see them not hiring off exam 2000 exclusively since its had so much media attention for having the "right" numbers. (even though really those numbers were nearly identical to 6019).

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ocfirekev View Post
    im a peer fitness trainer for another dept took the same class as some of the fdny trainers we also give cpat as part of our process ill tell you guys like i tell all my candidates invest in a weight vest hit some stairs up nice pace no sense in running because you cant go any faster then 60 steps a min squats lunges and cardio. no avarge in shape man should need to much upper body work outs to pass but cardio and legs is what fails eveyone for us i would say if we test 50 in one day 30 wont make it off the stairs.
    Great info - thanks! I run pretty regularly and at least once a week with my 40 lb. vest. My pace with the vest is usually about 10 min/mile, maybe a bit slower if I'm stringing 3 or 4 miles together. In your opinion, this isn't very helpful? Its harder for me to get to a stair master with my vest but that's what I have to do, that's what I'll do...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    I honestly wouldn't mind if that class of 300 from 6019 that got cancelled got priority hiring over me. What happened to them was tragic. But anyone who would've been after that would be excessive at this point (myself included list # about 3000 on 6019).

That being said, even if Garaufis gets thrown off the case I can't see them not hiring off exam 2000 exclusively since its had so much media attention for having the "right" numbers. (even though really those numbers were nearly identical to 6019).
    River i just feel like any person who scored well enough to be called from 6019 should be given some extra points. you included. im not sure of what your score was on 2000 but you should be given an even better score to have went thru all this for absolutely no fair reason. what if you didnt do as good and you were in a postion with ppl like me. its a terrible feeling and position to be in. i hope that every person that took 6019 regarless of how good or bad they did on 2000 fights for us fellow 6019 ppl when the time comes. NONE of us desereved what happened to us and i am too old to ever try again. i am very happy for everyone who scored well on 2000 i just want all from 6019 to have a fair chance also!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zachryw2001 View Post
    Are they trying to say you don't qualify for veterans point?
    Yeah, they said that being in the National Guard doesn't count???

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nycthirteen View Post
    Great info - thanks! I run pretty regularly and at least once a week with my 40 lb. vest. My pace with the vest is usually about 10 min/mile, maybe a bit slower if I'm stringing 3 or 4 miles together. In your opinion, this isn't very helpful? Its harder for me to get to a stair master with my vest but that's what I have to do, that's what I'll do...
    Training specificity.
    Quote Originally Posted by http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/glossary/g/Specificity_def.htm
    The principle of Specificity also implies that to become better at a particular exercise or skill, you must perform that exercise or skill. To be a good cyclist, you must cycle. The point to take away is that a runner should train by running and a swimmer should train by swimming.
    While running with your vest will help out, doing the exact movements will be even more beneficial. If you can't get to a stair master, can you get into a high rise and walk the stair wells? What about bleachers at a high school football field? Just throw the vest on, and climb away.

Forum Member

River i just feel like any person who scored well enough to be called from 6019 should be given some extra points. you included. im not sure of what your score was on 2000 but you should be given an even better score to have went thru all this for absolutely no fair reason. what if you didnt do as good and you were in a postion with ppl like me. its a terrible feeling and position to be in. i hope that every person that took 6019 regarless of how good or bad they did on 2000 fights for us fellow 6019 ppl when the time comes. NONE of us desereved what happened to us and i am too old to ever try again. i am very happy for everyone who scored well on 2000 i just want all from 6019 to have a fair chance also!
    I have a list number around 1200 for exam 2000 but would obviously not begrudge a few extra points for all the BS we went through and years of our lives in limbo. It sadly seems now that 6019 has been all but forgotten by everyone and the city is satisfied they gave us another shot. But who knows what could happen if the 2nd circuit court of appeals sides with the city. If the test is valid after all anyone who was in hiring range off 6019 has a legit case to be hired in the future weather they did well on exam 2000 or not.

So there is still hope for those unfortunates. Though knowing how these things move now you might not see justice for years.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by st42stephenAFT View Post
    Training specificity.
    While running with your vest will help out, doing the exact movements will be even more beneficial. If you can't get to a stair master, can you get into a high rise and walk the stair wells? What about bleachers at a high school football field? Just throw the vest on, and climb away.
    Understood, and appreciated. I don't really have easy access to stairs that would be helpful but all of your thoughts on training specificity make sense. I'll just drag my vest to the gym as often as I can. Hopefully, training specificity is more beneficial to muscle memory, etc. and not just to something like lowering heart rate. So considering I'm not trying to do stair master in the Olympics (I wonder if they have that) I'll continue using it for my runs and workouts in the hopes that it is allowing me to maintain a lower HR while exercising with that amount of weight (even if its not the same exact exercise). Thanks!

Forum Member

I agree - I scored well enough to probably be hired but just that feeling Thurs night/Fri morning where you're thinking "I killed it on 6019 test, but if I don't score well here, I'm ****ed" feeling had to be 1 of the worst feelings in my life. God knows the guys who got scumbagged on the old test are as deserving as anyone to get on.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nycthirteen View Post
    Just an FYI - I remember the LT (oops forgot his name) at the academy saying DO NOT run w/ the vest on. It's awful for your back.

Forum Member

Attached is a running schedule from the 6019 thread I believe. It may be too late for some candidates to start this approach but this is a great tool that I've been using. Thanks to whoever initially posted it. I was a cross country runner in high school, and this has been a great deal of help in getting myself back into the shape I used to be in. Check it out if you got the time.

Also I wouldn't at all run with a weighted vest on. It's horrible on your knees and your lower back. Find a high school stadium, step mill etc. and just do the stairs at a reasonable rate. Running hills is also phenomenal. Lots of pullups and pushups which can also be done with the vest on. Walk with heavy dumbbells at your sides while doing the stairs if you can to build up grip/forearm strength. Don't want to be "that guy" in the academy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by snoozer1989; 10-09-2012 at 01:17 PM.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.
    List 2000
    No points
    Score: 99
    #4XXX

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by snoozer1989 View Post
    Attached is a running schedule from the 6019 thread I believe. It may be too late for some candidates to start this approach but this is a great tool that I've been using. Thanks to whoever initially posted it. I was a cross country runner in high school, and this has been a great deal of help in getting myself back into the shape I used to be in. Check it out if you got the time.
    Was just searching for that, kinda hard to do from a phone lol. Thanks
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

"But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Thread Information