Like Tree9605Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/p...sEnabled=false

According to this article, not only are they hiring several hundred minorities from past exams, but they also want to put a hiring quota in place for this exam.

So, essentially, you have at least the first two academy classes made up of promotional and those from past exams. Then, once they get to open competitive, for every 5 white FFs hired, 3 minorities must be hired.

I didn't know that... I thought once the new test was endorsed that was the end of it. Guess not, and the list number I thought was pretty good just went down the crapper.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by eng1irons View Post

According to this article, not only are they hiring several hundred minorities from past exams, but they also want to put a hiring quota in place for this exam.

So, essentially, you have at least the first two academy classes made up of promotional and those from past exams. Then, once they get to open competitive, for every 5 white FFs hired, 3 minorities must be hired.

I didn't know that... I thought once the new test was endorsed that was the end of it. Guess not, and the list number I thought was pretty good just went down the crapper.
    The judge approved "rank order hiring" off of Exam 2000.

The quota is "just" for those 293 minorities who were "discriminated" against.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zachryw2001 View Post
    Was just searching for that, kinda hard to do from a phone lol. Thanks
    No problem. I figure we are all in this together no matter what happens.
    List 2000
    No points
    Score: 99
    #4XXX

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Dannyvale View Post
    I say you have more than a chance ... Don't let the cpat sneak up on you and you not ready !!!!! I'm almost sure when **** hits the fan a lot of ppl are going to quit ... The academy is per Military ( did I say it right ?) they not ready for that !!!!!
    Paramilitary
    Any idea how they assign your firehouse after the academy? Is it at all based on trying to keep you close to where you live?
    And, any idea how much overtime probies get a month?
    I'm considering switching over from nypd so it would be a decent pay cut, especially in the beginning. If you would have asked me a few years ago i'd pick fd in a heart beat, but I have to put my family first (plus I really like my job, more than I would have thought).
    It's usually based on your residence on file. But bear in mind, there are the needs of the department.

OT for probies? LOL. There pretty much won't be any once they hit the streets. And then completely gone in a year or so once we're back to full headcount. Count on little to none.

Coming from PD, you'll still have "city time". But you'll be starting at the bottom of the pay scale. At least that's what I recall some years back. The cop who sat next to me on the first day of orientation after hearing that said, "F*** that." and he didn't come back the next day.
    Quote Originally Posted by knicksh2o View Post
    Hey guys, I've been losing a little bit of sleep this past week and maybe one of you guys can help me. I got a pretty good list number (8xx) but I'm getting a little scared with all thus ratio talk. My medical is perfect, I work out 3 days a week and run on another 3 ( and I been doing this for years not just for this test), I have no criminal record other than moving violations from over a year ago, and I have never touched a drug. Should I be worried abouth this ratio talk?
    Yes. It ain't over yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    Just an FYI - I remember the LT (oops forgot his name) at the academy saying DO NOT run w/ the vest on. It's awful for your back.
    And your knees.
    In this job, you need your knees.

Forum Member

It's an Opinion write up so God knows who actually put that together. As Hopeful noted, the only quota hiring is for the 293 minorities who somehow were able to score higher than a 25 on those tough physics tests back in '99 and '02.
    frankp88 likes this.

Forum Member

Default Background Investigation

Does anyone have any info on the background investigation.
    I was arrested once for a misdemeanor where the charges were dismissed and received a couple tickets while in high school/college. This was all neaarly 10 years ago. Will any of this hinder my chances of getting hired? Sitting on a list #7XX.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_bravo View Post
    I was arrested once for a misdemeanor where the charges were dismissed and received a couple tickets while in high school/college. This was all neaarly 10 years ago. Will any of this hinder my chances of getting hired? Sitting on a list #7XX.
    I know the NOE states "Any person with a felony or dishonorable discharge is not eligible for hire."

My mom always said "Your life is like a CD, be careful what you put on it."

I'm unsure about anything else that could disqualify a candidate through the background investigation.

MembersZone Subscriber

Tried calling DCAS to find out if they would tell me what I might need for background as far a paperwork goes, and they said you'll find out when its your time. Just wondering if some OTJ or that took 6019 remembers anything?
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

"But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Forum Member

Try searching the 6019 thread for certain keywords.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default 1.5 mile run

Hey, does anyone have the map of the 1.5 mile run that is needed to get in the academy? I know I saw it many many moons ago. Thnx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_bravo View Post
    I wouldn't worry since it was a misdemeanor and the charge was later dismissed anyway. Also it's obviously better the longer the space between the arrest and now.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by snoozer1989 View Post
    Attached is a running schedule from the 6019 thread I believe. It may be too late for some candidates to start this approach but this is a great tool that I've been using. Thanks to whoever initially posted it. I was a cross country runner in high school, and this has been a great deal of help in getting myself back into the shape I used to be in. Check it out if you got the time.

Also I wouldn't at all run with a weighted vest on. It's horrible on your knees and your lower back. Find a high school stadium, step mill etc. and just do the stairs at a reasonable rate. Running hills is also phenomenal. Lots of pullups and pushups which can also be done with the vest on. Walk with heavy dumbbells at your sides while doing the stairs if you can to build up grip/forearm strength. Don't want to be "that guy" in the academy.
    This is good stuff. Thanks (and Vek, too) for the input. I have used my vest in the past few years for marathon training, just running with it once or so a week (very short runs - 1-3 miles, tops) to alternate. Has helped a lot, but I've not had back or knee problems yet. Figure if/once I do, it'll be a wrap. But I hear what you are all saying; I've been doing a lot of brick training to continue cardio training without the constant impact of running. Perhaps I'll just continue with that, and use the vest for stair master and cross fit alone. Thanks again.

Forum Member

Tried calling DCAS to find out if they would tell me what I might need for background as far a paperwork goes, and they said you'll find out when its your time. Just wondering if some OTJ or that took 6019 remembers anything?
    Credit card/bank statements, all educational records from HS/College, etc

The packet they give you is very self explanatory, but takes some time.

Forum Member

I wouldn't worry since it was a misdemeanor and the charge was later dismissed anyway. Also it's obviously better the longer the space between the arrest and now.
    I know more than a few guys OTJ who had been arrested in the past (before they got on). If their experiences with investigations still hold true, I think a 10-year old misdemeanor that was dismissed will not be a problem. Not at all. If one has a handful of arrests that might slow down your investigation or result in a stipulation and/or a lengthened probationary period, if I remember their stories correctly. Short of felony convictions and dishonorable discharges I don't think I've actually heard of anyone not making it through investigation.

All that said - I defer ENTIRELY to the knowledge of guys OTJ who have personal experience with this. And might be good for many of us to hear. Assuming that moving violations and maybe even dismissed juvie misdemeanors are not a big deal, what kinds of trouble have actually prevented candidates from passing investigations?

MembersZone Subscriber

Credit card/bank statements, all educational records from HS/College, etc

The packet they give you is very self explanatory, but takes some time.
    Thanks. I figure I might as well try to get a jump start on things.
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

"But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Forum Member

Thanks. I figure I might as well try to get a jump start on things.
    Good move - I actually made photocopies of alot of my stuff from back in '08. Just need to find all that crap.
    Dannyvale likes this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just making sure that I understand correctly, the CPAT is strictly pass/fail?
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

Forum Member

so i'm sitting at list number 46xx...very disappointed but what can you do..

any shot i get called in 4 years?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo_D View Post
    so i'm sitting at list number 46xx...very disappointed but what can you do..

any shot i get called in 4 years?
    Based on the predicted hiring ratio I would say you have a good shot at getting a call.
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

Forum Member

Just making sure that I understand correctly, the CPAT is strictly pass/fail?
    Yes the CPAT is P/F

Forum Member

Any ideas on if there will be another promotional exam in 2 years?

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes the CPAT is P/F
    That's what I thought, didn't 6019 use CPAT but it was scored differently?
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by l0u1ss View Post
    Any ideas on if there will be another promotional exam in 2 years?
    Pretty sure the next promotional will be in 4 years at the same time as the next OC exam.

If I'm mistaken, I apologize.
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

Forum Member

Thx for the info..you think the same concept applies to residency credit? Not sure if education would factor in to that...trying to see how flexible they are with this..

Forum Member

Based on the predicted hiring ratio I would say you have a good shot at getting a call.
    Yeah hope so man, it's my last shot at it...even if i get the call in a few years I can deal with it..the way i see it is that it gives me more time to make sure that i'm physically ready

any possibility of this list being extended due to the amount of eligible candidates?

Thread Information