Like Tree10628Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dannyvale View Post
    So where exactly is that the list numbers stop droping like flies ??? Meaning how you get to list numbers 3000 4000 5000 , etc
    Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    I have similar color blindness and have asked about it at my annual medical. The doctor I saw pulled out some book and looked through it, and then concluded that there is nothing in writing about color blindness... ie it's dealt with case by case, and at the doctor's digression. It shouldn't be a make or break thing.

re: 1.5 mile run.

You do it once right before you are hired, and it must be completed in 13 minutes. If you fail they will send you down to have a 2nd medical evaluation done the same day, and if you pass the medical then you are okay, but you won't, because apparently over 90% of people that get sent for a 2nd medical fail it.

After being hired you do it again on the first day of the academy, and must be completed in less than 12 minutes. If you fail this you will get remedial PT work, which I believe is an extra 2 hours twice a week, for the duration of the academy.

jackooze: The january class will be all EMS personnel. We are currently doing CPAT training, with time trials at DCAS slated to start in a month. Background investigations are going on, and I imagine our medical screenings will be in November/early December. Rumors abound about who will make up the June class, I imagine it will be some combination of Promo/OC.

deadbear271: The requirements for the promo are identical to the OC.

How my emt people physically looking ?????

Forum Member

How my emt people physically looking ?????
    Eh... seemed alright this week, it's a bit hard to tell this early on. Next week starts the time trials at the rock with the vest on for the whole course. It'll be interesting for sure.

Forum Member

thanks! yeah i figured even if i only had a 1 in 1,000,000,000 chance, I would still bust my *** so that if i got the call for the cpat i could show up well prepared. Im praying they reach me, im the son,nephew,grandson, and cousin of FDNY firefighters so this has always been my dream. praying they reach my number and i get a shot. Been bugging my family non-stop since i foundout, they keep saying i will, but they know ill bug them untill the day i graduate Randalls Island. keeping my fingers crossed and giving every ounce of energy i have for this. thanks for the answer!!
    FDNYPD, Ladders 4 and Dannyvale like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 3000miles View Post
    Along with the last question, regarding medical requirements, does anyone know the departments requirements for color in vision? I am apparently red-green color blind (which I just found out a couple of years ago at a physical). I can see the colors of red and green very easily, the only time it affects me is when I am looking at very dark shades of those colors.

Thanks!
    Im in the same boat...i cant understand why they give an color blind portion for a firefighter. I can understand why the PD makes you pass one, but not here. if you find out any more about it please let me know, thanks!
    Last edited by TB_FDNY; 10-11-2012 at 02:57 AM.
    FDNY Test #2000
    Score-99%
    List#34xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TB_FDNY View Post
    Im in the same boat...i cant understand why they give an color blind portion for a firefighter. I can understand why the PD makes you pass one, but not here. if you find out any more about it please let me know, thanks!
    It is most certainly part of the vision test that is done as part of the medical screening, however as I mentioned before I was told there didn't seem to be any specific guideline about it, so it's kinda dependent on just how colorblind you are, and what the doc has to say about it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FD_hellsgates_wannabe View Post
    how you all doing? brand new to the forum, been paranoid since the day i got my results. i got a 97 without extra points and im sitting in the mid 67xx range. What does everyone think the odds of me being called are? ive ran 6 miles a day for about a month now, as well as basicly duplicate the cpat in my back yard using an old hoseline filled with sand and a tire filled with cement. as well as buying back an old set of turnout gear from my volly house to do all the workouts in. the rest of the process wont be a problem ( not saying it will be easy, just that im prepared. so what do you guys think the odds of 67xx being reached are? im from an fdny family so ive been biting my nails since they announced the test. thanks!
    I'm mid 2000's and I'm worried about being called. For a number as high as yours I would be really worried and looking for an alternative job.

We have many things going against us. First the bad enconomy. Many people will go out of their way to make sure they get this job if offered. People know that working for the government is the way to go and the FDNY is a very easy secure job.

I already know someone who is above me in list number and he is going to take the position, and somebody in the 5000's who will take the position and are going to be working very hard. Nobody on the list is like, I got something better I will not take it. Expect the people to be extra motivated this time. Especially for the fact that they know how many years it took to get hired on this job and how difficult it is now. Plus they probably have no job offer elsewhere.

The 6019 test had about a 1:3 ratio of people who took the job, that was when the ecnomy was good and people had work and opportunities. Expect much less for this test. Probably a 1:2 ratio or possibly lower.

They estimate 600 per year hired. Well, then with a 1:2 ratio, that will be 4800 people they will contact from the list. 1:4 ratio is just rediculous as some people mentioned here. Even with a 1:3 ratio, they will get to list number 7200. But test 6019 had a 1:3 ratio, this ratio will be much smaller because the economy is so much worse.

We have to deal with the promo EMT guys and the lawsuit candidates who get priority hiring.

Expect academy class cuts like someone here has mentioned. I remember hearing about them cutting classes in the past. Also expect fire department closings. Remember, with all the safety codes today, in my opinion firemen are not nearly as needed as years ago. They already are doing many fire house closings and cuts. Expect this to get worse as NYS runs out of money.

I would say they will probably not get down as low as your list number. If they do it will be 3 or 4 years, towards the very end of the test if you are lucky.

I know people will disagree but this is my thinking. With my mid 2000's list number I am very very worried if I will be called.

I would not worry about training yet. Your not going to be called until 3 or 4 years, if your lucky to be called at all, with your list number so why do all that hard training.
    Last edited by SirEd; 10-11-2012 at 03:02 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SirEd View Post
    I'm mid 2000's and I'm worried about being called. For a number as high as yours I would be really worried and looking for an alternative job.

We have many things going against us. First the bad enconomy. Many people will go out of their way to make sure they get this job if offered. People know that working for the government is the way to go and the FDNY is a very easy secure job.

I already know someone who is above me in list number and he is going to take the position, and somebody in the 5000's who will take the position and are going to be working very hard. Nobody on the list is like, I got something better I will not take it. Expect the people to be extra motivated this time. Especially for the fact that they know how many years it took to get hired on this job and how difficult it is now. Plus they probably have no job offer elsewhere.

The 6019 test had about a 1:3 ratio of people who took the job, that was when the ecnomy was good and people had work and opportunities. Expect much less for this test. Probably a 1:2 ratio or possibly lower.

They estimate 600 per year hired. Well, then with a 1:2 ratio, that will be 4800 people they will contact from the list. 1:4 ratio is just rediculous as some people mentioned here. Even with a 1:3 ratio, they will get to list number 7200. But test 6019 had a 1:3 ratio, this ratio will be much smaller because the economy is so much worse.

We have to deal with the promo EMT guys and the lawsuit candidates who get priority hiring.

Expect academy class cuts like someone here has mentioned. I remember hearing about them cutting classes in the past. Also expect fire department closings. Remember, with all the safety codes today, in my opinion firemen are not nearly as needed as years ago. They already are doing many fire house closings and cuts. Expect this to get worse as NYS runs out of money.

I would say they will probably not get down as low as your list number. If they do it will be 3 or 4 years, towards the very end of the test if you are lucky.

I know people will disagree but this is my thinking. With my mid 2000's list number I am very very worried if I will be called.

You should be a motivational speaker...

Forum Member

well even with negativity and the odds stacked against me ill bust my *** every single day. even if my odds are worse then winning the lottery while getting struck by lighting, ill still give it my all. its the only thing i can do. there is no alternative job for me. Just this, so i dont care what some racist judge says, Im going to become a New York City Firefighter off of this test!
    Ladders 4 and Dannyvale like this.

Forum Member

i guess i have literally no chance with my 96 and 11xxx list number :/

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYPD View Post
    Trying not to be a dick here but you have no right to tell him there's no chance. Maybe a slim one, but still a chance. You can't see the future anymore than the rest of us. There could be a 1:10 ratio like PD. In that case, he has a good shot. So be more constructive and tell him to have a back up plan, brother.
    Thanks man that's all I needed to hear. It may be unrealistic, but you never know how many people will bail out. Think about it, it most people wouldn't even drive to new york to test, that's a good amount that didn't want the job bad enough. There are many factors that can come into place. Whether or not 12xxx is high low or mid. There's also hope for the FDNY
    Dannyvale likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYlistrider View Post
    i guess i have literally no chance with my 96 and 11xxx list number :/
    keep your head up bro. the only way to look is up.
    Dannyvale likes this.

Forum Member

You have some salient points but I disagree here. Just because people want the job doesn't mean they will pass all of the required steps to get a job offer. It's early, and nobody knows for sure what will happen to your list until they start hiring from it but I think the expectation of at least 1:4 will come true.

Forum Member

So where exactly is that the list numbers stop droping like flies ??? Meaning how you get to list numbers 3000 4000 5000 , etc
    Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Eh... seemed alright this week, it's a bit hard to tell this early on. Next week starts the time trials at the rock with the vest on for the whole course. It'll be interesting for sure.
    Keep us updated !!!!

Forum Member

even a 1:3 i should be good. but for the sake of the people on here who truly want the job like me, ill wish for a 1:6 ratio. with the number of people who are out of shape and have criminal records, who get settled other jobs. who get a medical illness, decide they dont want it, dont show up, and quit. im truly hoping a 1:5 is possible. plus remember, people take tests just to take tests. ive taken about a dozen police and fire tests as practice, doesnt mean i would take them all. so id say after the physicals boot a bunch, then medicals, and legal checks, lets not forget drug tests, then even showing up for the academy, then factoring people who quit id say 1:5 is realistic. plus a ton of guys are hanging on right now just because of overtime. normally 40-50 retire a month. but once the overtime dries up it will be much much more. even tho im trying to convince myself just as much as i am you, id say 9,000+ isnt unrealistic.. any thoughts?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by truckieboy4953 View Post
    Thanks man that's all I needed to hear. It may be unrealistic, but you never know how many people will bail out. Think about it, it most people wouldn't even drive to new york to test, that's a good amount that didn't want the job bad enough. There are many factors that can come into place. Whether or not 12xxx is high low or mid. There's also hope for the FDNY
    I'm with you brother !!!!

Forum Member

Congrats to all those who did well on the exam. Just had a question. Maybe someone can give me some insight into the residency points. I was planning on moving back in june of 2010, and switched my address to a PO Box. I switched it back to my apartment a month later. Will this be a problem, even though i have never lived anywhere else but the city?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FD_hellsgates_wannabe View Post
    even a 1:3 i should be good. but for the sake of the people on here who truly want the job like me, ill wish for a 1:6 ratio. with the number of people who are out of shape and have criminal records, who get settled other jobs. who get a medical illness, decide they dont want it, dont show up, and quit. im truly hoping a 1:5 is possible. plus remember, people take tests just to take tests. ive taken about a dozen police and fire tests as practice, doesnt mean i would take them all. so id say after the physicals boot a bunch, then medicals, and legal checks, lets not forget drug tests, then even showing up for the academy, then factoring people who quit id say 1:5 is realistic. plus a ton of guys are hanging on right now just because of overtime. normally 40-50 retire a month. but once the overtime dries up it will be much much more. even tho im trying to convince myself just as much as i am you, id say 9,000+ isnt unrealistic.. any thoughts?
    I'm going to ride with you with this one until the end !!!! What's your list number ? Pm me to keep in contact on these four long years we got Ahead of us !!!!!!
    esolo1017 and skeetz111 like this.

Forum Member

I would not worry about training yet. Your not going to be called until 3 or 4 years, if your lucky to be called at all, with your list number so why do all that hard training.
    You're an idiot. This is an easy secure job? Tell that to my wife who silently worries that I might not come home.....this isn't a job, but a calling.

Firefighters aren't as needed? In my very short 5+ years I've been in more fires than I can remember and I work in a fairly average company, not top 10 for 10-75s.

The ratio was higher for 6019 because the economy was better? Please turn the calendar back.......THE ECONOMY WAS **** WHEN THEY HIRED THAT CLASS.

They are already doing many firehouse cuts (nice English...)? We have had ZERO firehouse closings..idiot.

Don't bother working out, it could be a while? How about work out to be ready if the call does come. How about work out because its just healthy.

Keep your baseless incorrect opinions to yourself. They're all but completely wrong anyway. To top it all off, your attitude sucks. I hope you NEVER get this job.....f***ing zero....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    You're an idiot. This is an easy secure job? Tell that to my wife who silently worries that I might not come home.....this isn't a job, but a calling.

Firefighters aren't as needed? In my very short 5+ years I've been in more fires than I can remember and I work in a fairly average company, not top 10 for 10-75s.

The ratio was higher for 6019 because the economy was better? Please turn the calendar back.......THE ECONOMY WAS **** WHEN THEY HIRED THAT CLASS.

They are already doing many firehouse cuts (nice English...)? We have had ZERO firehouse closings..idiot.

Don't bother working out, it could be a while? How about work out to be ready if the call does come. How about work out because its just healthy.

Keep your baseless incorrect opinions to yourself. They're all but completely wrong anyway. To top it all off, your attitude sucks. I hope you NEVER get this job.....f***ing zero....
    Thanks bro .. Didn't know how to put him on his place bc I don't have have fact ... But you sure do !!! Thumbs up !!!!

Forum Member

For all you guys with list numbers less than what you had hoped for; if you still have the heart, go work for another department. Search or move... there are fires for you guys to fight. Don't be discouraged; a test will come out again sooner or later.

Forum Member

Na no way...I dont believe such a good guy would do this.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/l...hkOqU6isUVmIkL

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    Na no way...I dont believe such a good guy would do this.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/l...hkOqU6isUVmIkL

simple explanation, that drug test is "unnecessarily difficult", and therefore, racist.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    simple explanation, that drug test is "unnecessarily difficult", and therefore, racist.
    You didn't know drug testing was racist?

Forum Member

Some people better hope it is just a urinalysis test rather than a hair follicle test. I remember one kid came in to take his drug test for the union a couple years back. He was completely shaved from head to toe...the director of the apprenticeship program looked at him and said "Well you're out of the program. See you later."

Forum Member

Dude, aside from you having a pretty bad all around attitude about this. Your information and especially your ratio figures are WAY off. You clearly don't know what you are talking about so don't give "advice" like you do.
    List # 12XX

Thread Information