Like Tree9539Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

The people that received credit for residency (R next to their name).. do you have to send anything in to prove that you are a resident? Or do you just wait until they ask you?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    You're an idiot. This is an easy secure job? Tell that to my wife who silently worries that I might not come home.....this isn't a job, but a calling.

Firefighters aren't as needed? In my very short 5+ years I've been in more fires than I can remember and I work in a fairly average company, not top 10 for 10-75s.

The ratio was higher for 6019 because the economy was better? Please turn the calendar back.......THE ECONOMY WAS **** WHEN THEY HIRED THAT CLASS.

They are already doing many firehouse cuts (nice English...)? We have had ZERO firehouse closings..idiot.

Don't bother working out, it could be a while? How about work out to be ready if the call does come. How about work out because its just healthy.

Keep your baseless incorrect opinions to yourself. They're all but completely wrong anyway. To top it all off, your attitude sucks. I hope you NEVER get this job.....f***ing zero....
    Nicely put, thank you... this guy must not know anything about fd for him to say all those things... lol just the fact that he tells people not to bother training that rediculous ... and i guess he forgot its a city union job from which its imposible to get laid off unless there is a crissis of some sort but then every one in the state and city would lose thier jobs
    vekdoggs75 and Dannyvale like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pdtofd2000 View Post
    Nicely put, thank you... this guy must not know anything about fd for him to say all those things... lol just the fact that he tells people not to bother training that rediculous ... and i guess he forgot its a city union job from which its imposible to get laid off unless there is a crissis of some sort but then every one in the state and city would lose thier jobs
    This SirEd dude succeeds (or what he thinks is succeeding) by discouraging everyone else. I understand we're all each other's competition until that day we're marching in formation at the Rock but discouraging people is not a way to get there. Hard work and besting the guy next to you is how you compete.
    Last edited by FDNYPD; 10-11-2012 at 12:47 PM.
    sffdnyhopeful09 likes this.
    Test: 2000
    Score: 98
    List Number: 60**

Forum Member

Default Forum Suggestion

Hey, members. A little request for all
    This is a little something we do over on the PD fourms: Can we all update our signatures to include our partial list numbers? It really helps your brothers when calls start going out.

To update your signature, look at your "welcome bar" > click "notifications" > on the left column you'll see "Edit Signature."

From there, enter your information (keep it partial) and save. It should pop up with your next post.
    NYgrad2012 and Dannyvale like this.
    Score: 98
    List Number: 60**

Forum Member
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

Has anyone received anything in the mail yet?
    FDNYPD likes this.
    Test 2000
    Score 97
    List#700X
    Do I stand a chance?

I will not tire, I will not falter, and I will not fail!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FdnytolifeE293 View Post
    Has anyone received anything in the mail yet?
    I recieved a call yesterday, becuase i had wrote something wrong on my address, so i assume they are in the process of sending the maiilings.
    EXAM: 2000
    LIST #: 25XX
    Grade: 100

Forum Member

I think on joinfdny's facebook or a memo for the FDNY said said scores would be sent out in a couple of weeks.
    TB_FDNY likes this.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    I think on joinfdny's facebook or a memo for the FDNY said said scores would be sent out in a couple of weeks.
    Just talked to them and they said mid to late October.
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

"But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    Na no way...I dont believe such a good guy would do this.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/l...hkOqU6isUVmIkL
    Stop feeding into the controversy. It's stupid to smoke pot if OTJ because the department has a zero tolerance policy combined with randomized testing, HOWEVER, I think you're delusional if you actually think pot is a more insidious drug than alcohol.

snoozer1989: It is urinalysis. I don't know what they hit besides the obvious big ones.

mrjon: Anyone that checked off "resident" during the testing was given credit. When they are called to begin the process they will have to provide the supporting documentation to candidate investigations. I can only assume that if they do not have said documents their score will be adjusted and they will be sent packing.

Forum Member

http://meritmattersusa.blogspot.com/...-is-right.html

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Here’s Hoping Roger Clegg is Right!

In today’s New York Post, Roger Clegg (pictured above - the General Counsel for the Center for Equal Opportunity) writes that the “Fisher Case” (Fisher v. University of Texas) may sound “the death knell for affirmative action,” and given that today’s affirmative action amounts primarily to naked racial preferences and segregated standards, that would be a VERY GOOD thing. (SEE: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion...zyUwiD35a9bNBP)

Mr. Clegg notes that with the 2003 Grutter v. Bollinger decision, the court rejected most justifications for race/gender preferences, though it preserved one narrow justification them – in maintaining ethnic diversity.

Roger Clegg writes, “In the current case, the high court could rule on the simple question of whether UT’s discrimination falls within the bounds set by Grutter — or use the case to reconsider Grutter’s holding that the “educational benefits” of student body “diversity” are so “compelling” that they justify racial and ethnic discrimination.

Indeed, Justice Sonia Sotomayor yesterday accused Abigail Fisher’s lawyers of wanting to “gut” Grutter. Well, they should: The Grutter majority relied on social-science findings —findings that a growing mountain of empirical data indicates were wrong.”

THAT, of course, is the question – WILL the current court see that the harm caused by the discrimination (segregated standards) of preferences outweighs any and all diversity concerns. If it does, then “Fisher” will be as momentous as the 1978 Bakke Decision that began the roll back on naked preferences and segregated standards.

It all seems to come to one enigmatic vote, as so many of the court’s decisions in recent years has, that of Anthony Kennedy. While Justice Kennedy DOES seem skeptical of the University of Texas’ defense, court watchers are putting an awful lot of eggs in one basket, in projecting a Kennedy vote against preferences. Justice Kennedy has been notoriously hard to read and given the recent “Roberts Decision” upholding the foundations of “Obama-Care” (the ACA), it’s hard to read this court at all.

Roger Clegg certainly has the primary question right, “Here’s the basic question: Just what do we expect African-American and Latino students to say to white and Asian-American students that will provide the latter with such compelling educational benefits that racial discrimination is justified to make these conversations more likely?”

Still, while “disparate impact” was codified into law with the 1971 “Griggs Decision” (Griggs vs Duke Power & Light), but like ALL such Decisions, the central content is subject to legislative alteration, that is, the Legislative Branch can address that issue and “clarify” (set the parameters) of use and that’s something that Congress has been remiss in this issue over, since 1971.

A legislative redress, that would define and rein in the abuses of disparate impact would be the most permanent means of dealing with this issue and with a majority Republican Congress such a legislative fix should be able to be worked out.

Let’s hope that the “Fisher case” goes the way Roger Clegg predicts, as the FDNY case may eventually give that court the means to address disparate impact on the judicial level for generations to come.

JMK
    River6019 likes this.

Forum Member

Hi guys,
    Hope everyone is running and training.
    So Ive been working on getting my 1.5 mile down. Did it in 11:34 today which is the lowest ever, however, after the 1.5 I felt I was going to die. Does the academy expect you to do it and keep your heart rate down as well? Or is it simply do it no matter what?
    A lil nervous about 4 mile runs. Someone even mentioned a 7 min run earlier in this forum? (jesus xmas). Good luck everyone.
    Dannyvale likes this.
    List: 8XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by knicksh2o View Post
    Hi guys,
    So Ive been working on getting my 1.5 mile down. Did it in 11:34 today which is the lowest ever, however, after the 1.5 I felt I was going to die. Does the academy expect you to do it and keep your heart rate down as well? Or is it simply do it no matter what?
    A lil nervous about 4 mile runs. Someone even mentioned a 7 min run earlier in this forum? (jesus xmas). Good luck everyone.
    the only time they monitor your heart rate is on the stairs during the medical.
    Dannyvale likes this.

Forum Member

Hi guys,
    It doesn't matter what your heart rate is except during the stairmaster. But the more you run the lower it will get anyways.
    Dannyvale likes this.
    exam 2000
    list #2**
    score 105

Forum Member

Been lurking since taking the test, great info here fellas. Patiently waiting until I get the call and hopefully be done with my Chemical Engineering degree by that time. Signature is not showing up so:
    Score: 99
    List #: 38xx
    Last edited by petrole; 10-11-2012 at 02:16 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Stop feeding into the controversy. It's stupid to smoke pot if OTJ because the department has a zero tolerance policy combined with randomized testing, HOWEVER, I think you're delusional if you actually think pot is a more insidious drug than alcohol.

snoozer1989: It is urinalysis. I don't know what they hit besides the obvious big ones.

mrjon: Anyone that checked off "resident" during the testing was given credit. When they are called to begin the process they will have to provide the supporting documentation to candidate investigations. I can only assume that if they do not have said documents their score will be adjusted and they will be sent packing.
    Feeding into what controversy? This hunk of **** is 1 of the reasons why alot of us are sitting here with our jocks in our hand. Take a ****ing hike if you even waste 1 breath defending this guy or his actions. I'm in no position to be judging the rules and regulations of the FDNY, HOWEVER I will judge this guy. I wouldn't be stupid enough to pull that **** in my 20s nevermind when I'm 45 yrs old.
    My1Goal and rcfd31 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    Feeding into what controversy? This hunk of **** is 1 of the reasons why alot of us are sitting here with our jocks in our hand. Take a ****ing hike if you even waste 1 breath defending this guy or his actions. I'm in no position to be judging the rules and regulations of the FDNY, HOWEVER I will judge this guy. I wouldn't be stupid enough to pull that **** in my 20s nevermind when I'm 45 yrs old.
    I am not defending him, I'm criticizing a zero tolerance policy on mundane drugs. Even if I wanted to defend him there's no point. Unless they stray from past practices with him he will be forced to resign in lieu of termination, or be terminated after a year long battle to try and keep his job.
    TomFromQueens likes this.

Forum Member

Hi guys,
    As long as you finish that's all that matters, but if you keep practicing it will get easier and easier. Also look up interval training, that will help your endurance improve. If you want to get used to distance then just get used to running at a comfortable pace and keep pushing yourself farther. They've told us that they may change things up this time around and instead of doing super long runs they will go shorter and faster, but regardless it's all the same. Once you can do a 5k easily it shouldn't be that much of a stretch to do 5 miles, and once you can do 5 miles easily another 2-3 is not that big of a deal. Obviously at those distances keeping a <8min/mile pace is absurd.
    Dannyvale likes this.

Forum Member

I am not defending him, I'm criticizing a zero tolerance policy on mundane drugs. Even if I wanted to defend him there's no point. Unless they stray from past practices with him he will be forced to resign in lieu of termination, or be terminated after a year long battle to try and keep his job.
    In this economy, I normally wouldn't say this....but good ****ing riddance.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FD_hellsgates_wannabe View Post
    how you all doing? brand new to the forum, been paranoid since the day i got my results. i got a 97 without extra points and im sitting in the mid 67xx range. What does everyone think the odds of me being called are? ive ran 6 miles a day for about a month now, as well as basicly duplicate the cpat in my back yard using an old hoseline filled with sand and a tire filled with cement. as well as buying back an old set of turnout gear from my volly house to do all the workouts in. the rest of the process wont be a problem ( not saying it will be easy, just that im prepared. so what do you guys think the odds of 67xx being reached are? im from an fdny family so ive been biting my nails since they announced the test. thanks!
    I have a 98 and am only a few hundred in front of you.

Forum Member

As long as you finish that's all that matters, but if you keep practicing it will get easier and easier. Also look up interval training, that will help your endurance improve. If you want to get used to distance then just get used to running at a comfortable pace and keep pushing yourself farther. They've told us that they may change things up this time around and instead of doing super long runs they will go shorter and faster, but regardless it's all the same. Once you can do a 5k easily it shouldn't be that much of a stretch to do 5 miles, and once you can do 5 miles easily another 2-3 is not that big of a deal. Obviously at those distances keeping a <8min/mile pace is absurd.
    Thx for the answers from everyone. Yeah I guess the biggest hurdle is that last bit of info on 8 min mile. I can prob push 3 miles at that rate but after that, as you have stated, its absurd. I've been lifting all my life and I am starting to think about quitting to lose a good 10 15 pounds of muscle. I think it will ease a lot of pressure off my joints and of course my lungs.
    List: 8XX

Forum Member

I'm at 12 ish min the 1.5.... My list number just give me more time to master that ... And if my number is ever called I would be on spartan mode ... Not like some dude mention before to don't worry about training .... If I can take his spot so I can show him how things get done !!!!!!

Forum Member

I'm sure this is a redundant question but I'm going ask anyway... Realistically speaking, what are chances of me getting on with a grade of 97 along list # 86##...
    Exam: 2000
    Grade: 97
    List#: 86##
    There is hope!

Forum Member

Thx for the answers from everyone. Yeah I guess the biggest hurdle is that last bit of info on 8 min mile. I can prob push 3 miles at that rate but after that, as you have stated, its absurd. I've been lifting all my life and I am starting to think about quitting to lose a good 10 15 pounds of muscle. I think it will ease a lot of pressure off my joints and of course my lungs.
    Leaving the weights for a bit definitely helps !! It helped me out ... I used to hit straight weights until I started training for the the FD ... Pull-ups, push-up, dips ... Very light weight , cycling , running is all I do now ... Those extra less pounds help you be more flexible

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by skeetz111 View Post
    I'm sure this is a redundant question but I'm going ask anyway... Realistically speaking, what are chances of me getting on with a grade of 97 along list # 86##...
    Only time can tell. Keep training and preparing like they could call you tommorrow. You don't want to be sitting around doing nothing but being lazy and get a call in 3 years and not be prepared.
    Dannyvale likes this.
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

"But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Forum Member

I heard Fire commissioner Cassano's kid is in the FDNY EMS class going in now. Those are signs for some of you who are still young enough to go the EMS route. Good luck all.
    Dannyvale likes this.

Thread Information