Like Tree9947Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    still cant reply. I give up
    Lol I sent you an email

Forum Member
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Because its becoming an industry standard when it comes to entrance exams for jobs like this.

I've been doing crossfit since June, it's not cheap but it's definitely worth it.

Easy for you to say, dude you have a 93 with a list number of 300. That's so awesome, I wish I would of been smarter in my younger years and joined the FDNY emt. Now I'm siting on 700X with a thumb in my mouth smfh.
    Test 2000
    Score 97
    List#700X
    Do I stand a chance?

I will not tire, I will not falter, and I will not fail!!!

Forum Member

Because its becoming an industry standard when it comes to entrance exams for jobs like this.

I've been doing crossfit since June, it's not cheap but it's definitely worth it.
    most people who do crossfit end up hurting themselves eventually. I am a fan of the lifts but not doing high repetitions for time. I am more of a rippetoe fan.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

MembersZone Subscriber

Tests like this have been around for over ten years now for entry level firefighter. Not just PSI, but other companies out there as well. publicsafetyrecruitment.com fireteam.com
    I personally would have preferred to see one of these administered to you all. Straightforward cognitive with a subjective "mini-psych" portion. Certainly not the abomination that you folks had.
    Trust me, I was taking them.

Forum Member

most people who do crossfit end up hurting themselves eventually. I am a fan of the lifts but not doing high repetitions for time. I am more of a rippetoe fan.

You got a problem?!

http://i.imgur.com/cjWAf.gif
    FDNYPD and TB_FDNY like this.

Forum Member
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    Tests like this have been around for over ten years now for entry level firefighter. Not just PSI, but other companies out there as well. publicsafetyrecruitment.com fireteam.com
    I personally would have preferred to see one of these administered to you all. Straightforward cognitive with a subjective "mini-psych" portion. Certainly not the abomination that you folks had.

The problem with the exam we all took is not the personality questions itself. It was the way they were graded, how can this count as 50% of your score along with the knowledge based questions. It's absurd in my personal opinion.
    Test 2000
    Score 97
    List#700X
    Do I stand a chance?

I will not tire, I will not falter, and I will not fail!!!

Forum Member

You're absolutely right. I went into it with some background in barbell and olympic lifting, so I've had better luck with form and with knowing my limits. The metabolic conditioning is amazing though.

Forum Member

I'm a full-timer for a FD in the Chicagoland area. I scored a 97 on exam 2000 with no pref points. I'm expecting to get an offer 3-4 years from now but my question is in regards to residency. When should I go about getting an apartment in NYC? Can I wait until I receive an offer? Or do they want you to already be an NYC resident?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FdnytolifeE293 View Post
    Easy for you to say, dude you have a 93 with a list number of 300. That's so awesome, I wish I would of been smarter in my younger years and joined the FDNY emt. Now I'm siting on 700X with a thumb in my mouth smfh.
    Cut with the personal attacks and do some research on the subject. Personality/psych based entrance exams are popping up all over the country. My position relative to this exam has nothing to do with where I've ended up in the eligibles pool.

Also the < signifies below, my # is below 300, but the specifics are irrelevant here.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    You got a problem?!

What do you mean by got a problem?
    What he is doing is awesome, but you realize he is not in lumbar extension. It is very rare to be able to do that with out herniating a disc. I would imagine that even he would herniate one with more weight. That convo is for a different forum thou. But if it works for you then go for it.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    Do these other tests include disqualifier questions?

FFBam I am not sure I saw you opinion on how high they will get on this list? Hope you don't mind me asking you opinion.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 10-12-2012 at 05:45 AM.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Other tests, PD side and nation-wide, have the same questions. I've seen and taken them. There's really no getting around them. I know they seem leading and damaging but they're built on the Likert scale, tested time and time again.

When you ask about disqualifying questions, do you mean the ones that ask, "I'm the best employee at my job" and "I don't lie" ?
    Test: 2000
    Score: 98
    List Number: 60**

Forum Member

If I'm list #21xx, would it be too early to start something like Crossfit? I wanna build a solid base for fitness but don't wanna burn myself out, especially having no idea when I will even start the process.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mocon337 View Post
    If I'm list #21xx, would it be too early to start something like Crossfit? I wanna build a solid base for fitness but don't wanna burn myself out, especially having no idea when I will even start the process.
    Too early?? It's never to early to change your life. Which is exactly what CrossFit will do.

Don't listen to brooklynborn about injuries. You can get injured walking down the street. Not to mention, the worst injuries I have seen while training are people in globo-gyms who don't have the proper technique on even the simplest lifts.

Just do it. I promise you, you won't regret it.

Forum Member

Jump right in work hard u can modify all crossfit workouts to any fitness level it's all about pushing yourself as hard as u can each workout jump right in it will give u more than a base level of fitness

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    Too early?? It's never to early to change your life. Which is exactly what CrossFit will do.

Don't listen to brooklynborn about injuries. You can get injured walking down the street. Not to mention, the worst injuries I have seen while training are people in globo-gyms who don't have the proper technique on even the simplest lifts.

Just do it. I promise you, you won't regret it.
    On that note, get a good form base. Too many chuckleheads start Crossfit and try to keep up the with the tempo. Make sure your have your form before you start throwing weights around, in any fitness program. Buy a trainer if you have to. Did you watch that .gif of the guy rolling around with a bar and his back arched the whole time? Bad form. Really, really bad form.

http://i.imgur.com/nJ1Rc.jpg
    BrooklynBorn likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYPD View Post
    Other tests, PD side and nation-wide, have the same questions. I've seen and taken them. There's really no getting around them. I know they seem leading and damaging but they're built on the Likert scale, tested time and time again.

When you ask about disqualifying questions, do you mean the ones that ask, "I'm the best employee at my job" and "I don't lie" ?
    yes, I mean the ones were you are disqualified for answering too perfectly. I was under the impression this was gonna be one of those.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

The test? It was wasn't it?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by frankp88 View Post
    Jump right in work hard u can modify all crossfit workouts to any fitness level it's all about pushing yourself as hard as u can each workout jump right in it will give u more than a base level of fitness
    Yea I started with a 5x5 heavy lifting workout about a year back. This with running worked like a charm as far as getting stronger/more fit, but as the weight goes up so does the potential for injury. With Crossfit they'd be able to help me with technique and stuff, as well as overall fitness. Problem is I'm still a student and I'm as broke as a joke. Are there any cheaper alternatives?

Forum Member

I agree with this. Its awesome as long as you don't do stuff like deadlifts or olympic lifts for time or high rep deads for metcon. Crossfit is just a brand. The lifts and cross training have been around forever. Dont listen to Gimmefire about getting hurt crossing the street, unless you have a loaded barbell with your spine in flexion while crossing lol.

Read starting strength and check out the forums if you wanna learn the basic barbell lifts as a science and don't have money for a coach. Good coaches are hard to find anyway. Crossfit did not invent the barbell lifts. Its just a brand. You can do the lifts and train on your own with out injuries.

If I ever get called I will be still doing some lifts but being careful, and I will be more concerned about running and climbing stairs.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 10-12-2012 at 09:51 AM.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Yea I started with a 5x5 heavy lifting workout about a year back. This with running worked like a charm as far as getting stronger/more fit, but as the weight goes up so does the potential for injury. With Crossfit they'd be able to help me with technique and stuff, as well as overall fitness. Problem is I'm still a student and I'm as broke as a joke. Are there any cheaper alternatives?
    I've yet to join a cf gym also too expensive but I just hopped into it on my own at my own gym and at home when doable. Invest in a pull-up bar and a jump rope. There are acceptable substitutions for equipment u do not have I.E. rope climbs. I'll give u an example of one u can do anywhere try it today instead of your normal workout and time yourself set a time and try and beat it that's your motivation . So 100 pull-ups 100 push-ups 100 sit-ups and 100 squats time yourself good luck
    FDNYPD and mocon337 like this.

Forum Member

I've yet to join a cf gym also too expensive but I just hopped into it on my own at my own gym and at home when doable. Invest in a pull-up bar and a jump rope. There are acceptable substitutions for equipment u do not have I.E. rope climbs. I'll give u an example of one u can do anywhere try it today instead of your normal workout and time yourself set a time and try and beat it that's your motivation . So 100 pull-ups 100 push-ups 100 sit-ups and 100 squats time yourself good luck
    Thanks man. I'm gonna try it as soon as I get outta work today. I think I find myself worrying too much about the little things and not about the whole big picture. (ie whatever you're doing, be consistent with it and the result will be a higher level of fitness.)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    You got a problem?!

What do you mean by got a problem?
    What he is doing is awesome, but you realize he is not in lumbar extension. It is very rare to be able to do that with out herniating a disc. I would imagine that even he would herniate one with more weight. That convo is for a different forum thou. But if it works for you then go for it.

I was just joking around there, sailor...

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYPD View Post
    On that note, get a good form base. Too many chuckleheads start Crossfit and try to keep up the with the tempo. Make sure your have your form before you start throwing weights around, in any fitness program. Buy a trainer if you have to. Did you watch that .gif of the guy rolling around with a bar and his back arched the whole time? Bad form. Really, really bad form.

http://i.imgur.com/nJ1Rc.jpg

Hahaha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=BDDyxXyf6UU

Forum Member

CrossFit is about more than push presses, running 400 meters, rowing 500m, push-ups, sit-ups etc. Anybody who is not a total gym rat and has no life besides working and working out will tell you that the most difficult part of training is actually getting yourself to train. Not everybody enjoys training.

The one thing CrossFit will do, is help you achieve goals on a daily basis, which in turn keeps you wanting more. You will spend most of your time anxiously awaiting the next WOD not dreading the next time you have to wait for a machine.

Once again for anybody thinking about doing it who has the means to do it, just do it. It will change your life and it will help you obtain your goal of becoming a firefighter. Its no wonder that any CrossFit gym you walk into in the 5 boros or LI will have many members who are already FDNY firefighters.
    HopefulFF and frankp88 like this.

Forum Member

To the guys thinking about getting started with crossfit, I would have to agree with what has been said in regards to taking it slow and developing a base to work from. Learn about the important movements and understand the correct form (Squats, Deadlifts, KB swings, etc.). Check out this guy's website, http://www.mobilitywod.com/, he's a physical therapist who specializes in cultivating maximum human performance, use his website to figure out what mobility issues you have before you jump into the high intensity work. Also,use common sense when it comes to this stuff. Don't blindly follow the crossfit wods, if you see something that seems sketchy;don't do it. Try to avoid the high rep Olympic lifts that they sometimes use for conditioning as well as the sumo deadlift high pulls which wreak havoc on the shoulder joint. I personally use "crossfit style" workouts for metabolic conditioning as well as 5x5 for my strength training. Since I have a long wait before I will be called,I am focusing on developing strength, as I get closer in the next couple of years, I will transition to higher amounts of running and lightweight high rep movements to prepare for the academy.
    Exam 2000
    Score: 99
    List #:4xxx

Thread Information