Like Tree11288Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

In my opinion, this should be looked at as a positive. Many of us have been waiting upwards of nine years for this, so another month isn't going to kill us. However, because both the Vulcans and the City requested the delay together, it would make it that much harder for them to say (after the fact) they did not have time to prepare and administer a fair exam.

I think this will only make it more likely that this test actually results in a prompt establishment of a list that is hired off of.

Forum Member

Dear Firefighter Applicant:

This notice is to inform you of a change in the test dates for Firefighter, Exam No. 2000 and Promotion to Firefighter, Exam No. 2500. Testing is no longer scheduled to occur between January 3, 2012 and February 3, 2012. Instead, test administration will begin in late February or March 2012 and run for a four- to five-week period.

You will be assigned a test date and time at one of a number of testing centers located in the New York City area. You should receive an Admission Notice in the mail by January 27, 2012 assigning you to a specific test date, time and testing center. Subject to availability of open dates and locations, you will be able to reschedule your test date to another date within the testing period and/or to select a different testing center after you receive your Admission Notice. Instructions for rescheduling your test date, time or location will be included in the Admission Notice.

If you do not receive your Admission Notice by January 27th, you should email PSI Services LLC ("PSI") at fdnyschedule@psionline.com with your full name and social security number to obtain your duplicate Admission Notice. The duplicate Admission Notice will be emailed to you within 4 business days of receipt of your email.. If you do not have an email account, you may call PSI at 1-800-701-0289 1-800-701-0289 beginning February 4th to obtain a duplicate Admission Notice. Please be prepared to provide your full name and social security number when you call PSI.

Before you take the exam, you will have the opportunity to view a computer-based tutorial so that you are familiar with computer-based testing and the various question types. The tutorial is expected to be available for viewing on the DCAS website at http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/html/em...t/employ.shtml by January 11, 2012. You are encouraged to view the tutorial.

Thanks you DCAS.

Forum Member

So I guess there is officially no class being offered by the city and they are just having this online tutorial. I wonder if the vulcans will still have a class.

Forum Member

I have yet to receive an e-mail or anything else for that matter from DCAS is this something that I should look into? Back in July I applied in person on paper because of computer issues.

Keep Training!

Forum Member

You should check your junk mail, mine were labled as mass mailers and sent to my junk folder. If it is not there I would get on the horn and talk to DCAS.

Forum Member

Nothing! Do you have the e-mail contact? I tried calling but I could not get to a live person before the automated system hung up on me. Will try again tomorrow.

Forum Member

do you have your receipt? make sure you gave them your correct email.

Forum Member

I have contacted DCAS through e-mail since there automated phone kept hanging up. Still waiting for a reply from the email I sent. When I applied in person on paper there was no spot for e-mail so we will see what happens.

Update: At 1515 today I received a phone call from DCAS stating that from here on out I will be put in the e-mail campaign. I was surprised by the phone call.
    Last edited by prospectff; 11-09-2011 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Update of Status

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by prospectff View Post
    I have contacted DCAS through e-mail since there automated phone kept hanging up. Still waiting for a reply from the email I sent. When I applied in person on paper there was no spot for e-mail so we will see what happens.
    FYI, Yesterday I received something in the mail from DCAS basically stating what we already know, that the exam has been pushed back etc. If anybody doesn't receive one of these I'd be concerned.

Forum Member

Federal judge appoints former prosecutor to ensure fair minority treatment in FDNY

By RICH CALDER

Last Updated: 3:52 PM, November 9, 2011

Posted: 3:51 PM, November 9, 2011
    More Print

A federal judge today appointed a former federal prosecutor to serve as a special bias monitor for the FDNY to help ensure minorities in its ranks are treated fairly.

Mark S. Cohen, a partner in a Manhattan law practice since 2002 after a previous stint as an assistant US Attorney for the Eastern District of New York, was tapped by Brooklyn federal Judge Nicholas Garaufis as the court-appointed monitor.

The white-collar lawyer was selected from among a dozen candidates and will have substantial authority to oversee hiring, training, and promotions of minorities in the nation's largest fire department.

Georgia Pestana, a top city lawyer, said that although the city didn’t object to Cohen’s “candidacy for appointment” it “does not agree that any monitor is warranted” and plans to appeal. Meanwhile, FDNY so The appointment comes a month after Garaufis ruled that broader judicial oversight of the FDNY is necessary because of the city’s “pattern and practice of discrimination against black firefighter candidates,” as well as minorities already working for the department.

The judge offered a blistering critique of the city's inertia, and accused the Bloomberg administration of choosing “to ignore” the issue.

The case grows out of a 2007 lawsuit filed by the US Justice Department, with the aim of forcing the city to hire more minorities at an agency where white men make up 93 percent of the 11,000 firefighters in its ranks City officials initially balked at the scope of the special monitor's mandate, saying they objected to the sweeping nature of the court’s ruling, and arguing that the oversight will be too broad and intrusive.

Cohen's selection follows weeks of searching for a candidate to fill the monitor post from a field of about a dozen under consideration - including former judges, former prosecutors, litigators, arbitrators, mediators, former city officials, law professors and law-school deans.

However, Cohen's appointment was not proposed by the city, Vulcan Society of black firefighters or the Justice Department.

Additional reporting by Mitchel and Maddux and Philip Messing.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/b...#ixzz1dFG0KYgV

Forum Member

So just wondering, this court appointed supervisor Cohen, what is his job exactly? And what kind of power will he have? Is he simply there to ensure that "all" minorities are treated fairly throughout the process? Or does he actually have any say or power whatsoever in who gets hired or whether there is a quota?

Either way its BS and insulting to the FDNY, and I know the city says it intends to appeal (though weve heard this before) but who are they appealing to? Judge Goofus would simply shoot them down and the justice dept had no hand at all in saying the city needed a special monitor for the next decade.

I any event, seeing as how the judge said on the record our racial statistics we were FORCED to bubble in for the 2000 exam application wont be used at all to effect hiring and was only for statistical reasons, he legally cant enforce a quota. Or am I being naive here and he'll just do whatecer the hell he wants no matter what hes already said. If thats the case, and a single score is passed over because of the color of someones skin we absolutley have some basis for a class action lawsuit.

Right?

Forum Member

Default FDNY / CPAT Prep - 11 Questions

If you're training for the FDNY CPAT (or any FD physical), here's 11 questions you should ask yourself...
    http://www.kbmike.com/2011/11/fdny-c...ep-school.html

Forum Member

Default If your Looking for Motivation

Also just received this e-mail from NYC:

Dear Applicant,

By now you know that DCAS has pushed back the administration of the computer-based firefighter test until late February or early March of 2012. The release of the computer-based tutorial has also been pushed back until January 11, 2012

We have started to receive information about outside organizations that are hosting test prep programs. FDNY does not endorse any of these programs, nor are we recommending that you take any of these classes. We just wanted to pass along the links to these programs so that you are aware of them; you can decide whether or not to learn more about or enroll in any of these programs. Please note: there are significant costs associated with these programs.

FIRE EDCON ASSOCIATES: http://fireedcon.com/index.html

THE FIREFIGHTING TRAINING GROUP: http://www.fireexam.net/

Also, we are continuing with our Profiles in Bravery series, dedicated to motivating and helping applicants like you who will be taking the 2012 Firefighter Exam.

This week we hear from Firefighter Keith Mason who has been with the Department for 10 years. Why does Keith think being a New York City Firefighter is the best job in the world? He cites the camaraderie and being part of the FDNY family. We agree with Firefighter Mason!

View Firefighter Mason’s story.

Sincerely,
    Salvatore J. Cassano
    Fire Commissioner

Motivation Link:

FDNY Youtube Page

Forum Member

I am surprised they sent that email out. The vulcans are gonna bitch that not every has the money.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 11-14-2011 at 06:51 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    I am surprised they sent that email out. The vulcans are gonna bitch that not every has the money.
    My thoughts exactly.....unless they mail it out to everyone, as well. Even still...since it relies upon an internet connection to do anything, its one more thing for the Vulcans to bitch about.

Forum Member

that's exactly why they are sending the email out. So they can cover their *** and say they let everyone know taking the expensive courses is not necessary.

Forum Member

so iam still unclear about the vet points. it dosent say the value on the noe. is it definetly 5 points?

MembersZone Subscriber

i think vet is 5 and disabled is 10
    -Firefighting is a lifestyle NOT a career-

Forum Member

We have started to receive information about outside organizations that are hosting test prep programs. FDNY does not endorse any of these programs, nor are we recommending that you take any of these classes. We just wanted to pass along the links to these programs so that you are aware of them; you can decide whether or not to learn more about or enroll in any of these programs. Please note: there are significant costs associated with these programs.

FIRE EDCON ASSOCIATES: http://fireedcon.com/index.html

THE FIREFIGHTING TRAINING GROUP: http://www.fireexam.net/

Does anybody know if these classes are going to be right on target on whats covered on the exam and are these classes going to help me do good on the new FDNY exam.

Any information will be helpful

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by eyebrowike View Post

Does anybody know if these classes are going to be right on target on whats covered on the exam and are these classes going to help me do good on the new FDNY exam.

Any information will be helpful
    Doubt they know "exactly" what's going to be on the exam and the money for these classes is ridiculous. Go to your bookstore and buy every entry level firefighter exam book there and you'll be just as prepared, if not more......and you'll spend less than 50 bucks

Forum Member

Default who are they kidding?

Gotta love the "we do not endorse these programs", then they provide their links... uh hello? you just endorsed them by putting their links in an official email from the desk of cassano... there's tons of programs out there and you pick these two to put on your email... and how convenient the tutorial has been pushed back to january 11th (so people can go into panic mode and join these programs)... bottom line someone's getting paid

Forum Member

Just came across some sad news on another site- Retired FDNY Lt. Joe DiBernardo, Jr. passed away this morning. Joe survived the Black Sunday fire in the Bronx in 2005 and is a true legend. It is men like him that set the standard for what it means to be a NYC Fireman. Say a Prayer for him and his family... RIP

http://www.firefighterclosecalls.com.../newsid/149949
    Exam 2000
    Score: 99
    List #:4xxx

Forum Member

City budget proposal includes pink-slip pain for some workers, but no cuts to city schools, FDNY companies
    Departments of Sanitation, Health and Mental Hygiene and Cultural Affairs will be hit
    BY Ben Chapman, Erin Einhorn & Tina Moore
    NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Friday, November 18 2011, 5:43 PM

Mark Bonifacio/New York Daily NewsMayor Michael Bloomberg during a chat with the Daily News Editorial Board. A city budget proposal released Friday includes a wave of pink slips. Noguera: Black, male and behind the curve Bloomy to push repeal of last-in, first-out teacher policy Top cop Ray Kelly leads 2013 mayor poll Claims of test cheats triple Mike asked to apologize to parents Mayor pushes for immigration reform ... for sexy models
    Mayor Bloomberg wants to slash more than 250 city jobs by the end of June 2012 and then lose nearly 1,500 more positions through layoffs and attrition by the same time the following fiscal year.

Bloomberg plans to cut funding for jobs in two city departments: Health and Mental Hygiene and Cultural Affairs, a budget proposal released Friday shows.

And the city is also proposing to bring the budget axe down on the Department of Sanitation in 2013 — shedding 254 union slots and another 50 civilian positions through attrition.

“Even with a billion dollars in new taxi-medallion revenue and the savings items released today, we still need to fill a $2-billion hole, and the national economic picture remains volatile and highly uncertain,” Bloomberg spokesman Marc LaVorgna said.

The proposed Sanitation cuts are particularly troublesome given the post-Christmas blizzard that crippled the city last year, said City Councilman Domenic Recchia, chair of the council’s committee on finance.

“The economy will hopefully start to turn around and we will not have to make those cuts to Sanitation,” Recchia said. “Making those radical cuts to Sanitation would concern me a great deal.”

Seventy city library jobs are also on the chopping block, the budget documents show.

At the Department of Cultural Affairs, the administration is not looking to issue pink slips, but rather cut funding for 109 jobs. Administrators at libraries, museums, zoos and other institutions, where the cuts are proposed to be made, will be able to find other ways to make up the difference.

At the moment, the FDNY isn’t facing the threat of having to close fire companies — the first time in the past few budget cycles that has been the case.
    But the agency — which has been blocked from hiring for the last four years because of a discrimination lawsuit — will shed 49 civilian workers by the end of June 2012 and another 29 the following fiscal year.

Department of Education officials said that the mid-year budget adjustments would not result in any direct cuts to city schools.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...#ixzz1eZQjYA8X

Forum Member

any one know of any good online prep classes ?? dont think i can travel 5 times in a month thanks .

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ocfirekev View Post
    any one know of any good online prep classes ?? dont think i can travel 5 times in a month thanks .

Remember that the questions will be logic and reasoning based. You need to be familiar with the question format and not the material. A bunch of guys that I work with have taken a sample version of the new test. The format is similar to that of tests prior to the 2007 exam. The new test has been designed by PSI. They have designed many fire department tests and I'm sure that it will be represented in guide books. If you purchase a study guide from a book store you will be off to a good start.

Thread Information