Like Tree11283Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by rcfd31 View Post
    both my medicals I did for 6019 my heart rate for stairmaster were 151 and then next yr + was 149 and I was 34 and 35 back then. If you stay in shape and train hard than it wont matter your age!
    Was your hr for the 5 min. Step mill with 50 lb vest? And was 151 passing? Reason I ask is cause I've got my hr to 145 doing that.
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

"But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zachryw2001 View Post
    Was your hr for the 5 min. Step mill with 50 lb vest? And was 151 passing? Reason I ask is cause I've got my hr to 145 doing that.
    yes, it was down at 9MT. I trained with 75 lbs at 75 steps a min for 15 min, then drop the weight and did 30-45 min at faster rate. that is how i trained for everything and it worked out very well. didnt even break a sweat on the 5 min test
    exam 2000
    list #2**
    score 105

Forum Member

yes, it was down at 9MT. I trained with 75 lbs at 75 steps a min for 15 min, then drop the weight and did 30-45 min at faster rate. that is how i trained for everything and it worked out very well. didnt even break a sweat on the 5 min test
    to figure out your max heart rate its 220 - age x .9
    exam 2000
    list #2**
    score 105

Forum Member

you did an extra 45 minutes on the stair mill for 45 minutes? With how much weight? you are an animal.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    you did an extra 45 minutes on the stair mill for 45 minutes? With how much weight? you are an animal.
    lol, no i dropped the weight off after the 15 min was up. I just cranked up the speed and did the extra time just bodyweight
    exam 2000
    list #2**
    score 105

Forum Member

I just wanted to share in regards to training for the CPAT and the step-mill at the medical. I went through the entire process way back in 2008 with 6019. In training for the CPAT and medical, two the big things I did was hill sprints and stairs. I did not have a weight vest. I ran hill sprints everyday but Sunday and did the stairs M-F. I passed the CPAT on the first run and also passed the step-mill on the first try.

If you don't have access to a gym or equipment, you can make it happen with out it. There are parks and playgrounds out there, be creative. If anyone has seen and remembers Rocky IV (I know, its a movie, but that concept does work), sometimes you don't need a fancy gym, a complex program or modern equipment to train. Knowing the basics, being proficient in doing those things and putting in the work, can and will make a huge diffence.

Personally, I basically train like I did when I wrestled, 6 days a week, 2x day and a walk and nap on Sunday. I do not follow any particular program other than that I trailor my training towards all things a firefighter would need to be physically proficient at and able to handle. I essentially treat this as my "sport."

In my mind, Fortune goes to those that have prepared, regardess of list number. As we've all seen over the last four years, anything CAN happen. Yes, Be realistic and understand the situation, but dont give up hope. Train when no one else is training. Be disciplined. Prepare to not just pass the CPAT and medical, but also to excel at the fire academy (if we are fortunate enough to get there) and then later, in the firehouse.

Michelangelo said something like that the greatest danger is not that we aim too high and miss it, but that we aim too low and reach it. I think that's a good way to approach the opportunities ahead.
    Last edited by Minerva; 10-15-2012 at 08:27 PM.

Forum Member

lol, no i dropped the weight off after the 15 min was up. I just cranked up the speed and did the extra time just bodyweight
    Which gym did you go that had the step mill

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dannyvale View Post
    Which gym did you go that had the step mill

I have found them at synergy, golds, world gym, and I used the 6 month pass (NYSC) that I got down at the rock when I was there back in 08. I know almost all of these gyms have it, but I had to call around to find out this info. I know that I have never found one at retro fitness, bally's, planet fitness. I know that ultimate fitness has alot of them at each location but I only know of 2 of them on LI and not sure about the city.
    Dannyvale likes this.
    exam 2000
    list #2**
    score 105

Forum Member

damn...how long did you keep this up?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    damn...how long did you keep this up?

I did that 6 days a week if not 7 for about 4 months prior to test
    HopefulFF and Desire4theJob like this.
    exam 2000
    list #2**
    score 105

Forum Member

Well after being in limbo for the past 5 years not knowing wether i was going to the academy or not, going to the gym 4-5 days a week and running 3 times a week non-stop, I finally decided to take a month or two off working out since I know the earliest I will get to the academy will be 1-2 years anyways. I'm going to let my muscles heal up pretty so I can the continue with my training after. I'm not going to lie guys, I been off for 2 weeks so far and it feels good to be normal again. I went to the laundrymat and I washed regular clothes and not just gym clothes!! Lol.
    Last edited by Jukez; 10-15-2012 at 10:35 PM.
    rcfd31 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    Well after being in limbo for the past 5 years not knowing wether i was going to the academy or not, going to the gym 4-5 days a week and running 3 times a week, I finally decided to take a month or two off working out since I know the earliest I will get to the academy will be 1-2 years anyways. I'm going to let my muscles heal up pretty so I can the continue with my training after. I'm not going to lie guys, I been off for 2 weeks so far and it feels good to be normal again. I went to the laundrymat and I washed regular clothes and not just gym clothes!! Lol.
    It is great to take a break once in awhile but if I can give you some advice it is to adjust your workout. Working out/ running should not be a burdon, it should be part of your life. Try out new workouts or even take up a new sport. I personally just started playing tennis and I love it. I do it on my running days and this way get a good cardio while also having fun.

Not every body is the same but we are creatures of habit. My gym partner took 2 weeks off once for a cruise and I didnt see him back at the gym for a year. Be careful lol
    Test: 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 8XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by knicksh2o View Post
    It is great to take a break once in awhile but if I can give you some advice it is to adjust your workout. Working out/ running should not be a burdon, it should be part of your life. Try out new workouts or even take up a new sport. I personally just started playing tennis and I love it. I do it on my running days and this way get a good cardio while also having fun.

Not every body is the same but we are creatures of habit. My gym partner took 2 weeks off once for a cruise and I didnt see him back at the gym for a year. Be careful lol
    I know what you are saying but honestly I love going to the gym, I get a thrill out of getting a "pump" lol. (No I'm not a meat head) . And I would suggest you drop all types of sports man and ill give you 1 quick reason why... Back in 08' I had 2 injuries playing basketball and football that almost ruined my chances to pass the cpat and medicals back in 08'. I stopped all types of sports ever since. Don't risk it, one wrong step playing tennis can crush your dreams bro.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    I know what you are saying but honestly I love going to the gym, I get a thrill out of getting a "pump" lol. (No I'm not a meat head) . And I would suggest you drop all types of sports man and ill give you 1 quick reason why... Back in 08' I had 2 injuries playing basketball and football that almost ruined my chances to pass the cpat and medicals back in 08'. I stopped all types of sports ever since. Don't risk it, one wrong step playing tennis can crush your dreams bro.
    Yeah I get the same thrill as you from the gym. I honestly feel sick if I miss the gym 2 days in a row. Yes i am the one that uses the gyms at resort hotels lol.

But with the sport thing. You can injure yourself doing anything. I almost tore my knee running on the treadmill like 5 years ago. Havent stepped on one since and just jog outside now, but point is it can happen anywhere. But it is getting close. I got like 8 months till the academy to stay healthy lol
    Test: 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 8XX

Forum Member

I have found them at synergy, golds, world gym, and I used the 6 month pass (NYSC) that I got down at the rock when I was there back in 08. I know almost all of these gyms have it, but I had to call around to find out this info. I know that I have never found one at retro fitness, bally's, planet fitness. I know that ultimate fitness has alot of them at each location but I only know of 2 of them on LI and not sure about the city.
    Thanks for the Reply... I heard of nysc having them, I'm ready to switch to them and cancel planet fitness, I barely go now since I don't use the treadmill anymore. I run outdoors now ... Membership would be twice as much but would be worth it

Forum Member

Very true, I added bicycling to my life. Sunday did the tour de Bronx 40 mile run.. Lots of fun great workout

Forum Member

Thanks for the Reply... I heard of nysc having them, I'm ready to switch to them and cancel planet fitness, I barely go now since I don't use the treadmill anymore. I run outdoors now ... Membership would be twice as much but would be worth it
    boycott planet fitness and their no noise attitude.
    River6019 likes this.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

I personally just started playing tennis and I love it.............My gym partner took 2 weeks off once for a cruise

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploa...into-brush.gif

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    boycott planet fitness and their no noise attitude.
    Lol... Yea I'm done with them

Forum Member

before joining one of them, call them all. Alot of gyms have specials and cheap rates because there is so much competition. I'm sure that you can get a deal and alot of them will even go lower if u talk to them. they just wanna make the sale. I dont run on the treadmill either. It doesn't give you an accurate time and it's so much easier than outdoors. Your legs dont have to do the same amount of work indoors and you arent dealing with the hot/cold air in your lungs and the elements. I say skip the treadmill always.
    exam 2000
    list #2**
    score 105

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Queens6019 View Post
    Candidate investigations will let you know what list # they are processing up to, and what list# they got up to for a class, they dont know until the last minute sometimes. The most current info is always posted on these boards. Good luck to all, especially those 6019ers that aced the last exam and were set to go in , and now got list numbers on the new exam that will not realistically allow them to get a shot at the academy this time around and who have potentially aged out of future exams, it makes me sick to my stomach, there was lots of good guys that had there head and heart into it that probably would have made great firefighters .
    If you went to the old prep classes at the "Rock", I was there too. I know all of us were a good group of guys and the comradery showed then. I did pretty well on exam#2000 with a list number in the 3'000's. I hope to get called but will not let up until us exam#6019'ers get something.

Forum Member

before joining one of them, call them all. Alot of gyms have specials and cheap rates because there is so much competition. I'm sure that you can get a deal and alot of them will even go lower if u talk to them. they just wanna make the sale. I dont run on the treadmill either. It doesn't give you an accurate time and it's so much easier than outdoors. Your legs dont have to do the same amount of work indoors and you arent dealing with the hot/cold air in your lungs and the elements. I say skip the treadmill always.
    Yes I been stop the treadmill after a few people told me that indoors is not as good as outdoors runs,

Forum Member

Default Treadmill vs Outdoors

I actually find it a lot easier to run outdoors, I find my self more into the scenery rather than then run, which helps me keep a faster pace, and It usually takes a lot longer for fatigue to kick in. I feel that taking the same strides I’ll take on a treadmill, let’s say at an 8min mile pace, is actually a lot faster running outdoors. Does anyone else feel this way??
    EXAM: 2000
    LIST #: 25XX
    Grade: 100

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doubler33 View Post
    I actually find it a lot easier to run outdoors, I find my self more into the scenery rather than then run, which helps me keep a faster pace, and It usually takes a lot longer for fatigue to kick in. I feel that taking the same strides I’ll take on a treadmill, let’s say at an 8min mile pace, is actually a lot faster running outdoors. Does anyone else feel this way??
    I agree 100%. Went on a run through W-Burg with my buddy last week, about 3.5 miles. Outside with a partner goes so quick. Had I been on a treadmill I'd have been dying, and probably at a much slower pace.
    Doubler33 likes this.

Forum Member

By the way, does anyone know how much the CPAT sledgehammer weighs. I wanna try to get the tire/hammer contraption in my yard so I can swing away at it after a tough workout. Can't hurt. Any good ideas from you guys?

Thread Information