Like Tree9843Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Well then I hate to disappoint you but it turns out I think I was wrong. FDNY and NYPD were exempted from tier 6, however everybody will still be in the modified tier 3 plan. While tier 3 has some serious downsides (less generous disability and LODD benefits), for anyone that manages to retire at a reasonably young age after doing 25 years of service it's quite generous.
    Well I guess me retiring at 50 is not so bad. Someone I know OTJ told me not to worry about the tier too much, after this scandal with trying to get more minorities on the job will benefit all of us who will get on. I asked why? He said is very simple, in a few years some of the minorities who are now getting on will say " hey how come NOW that the Job is getting more diverse they decide to give us less benefits than every other person that got on before us!" ... And BANG! There goes the fight to give everyone from this list the same tier as the guys before us. It's a long shot but is also a possibility, i myself will keep my hopes up.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    Well I guess me retiring at 50 is not so bad. Someone I know OTJ told me not to worry about the tier too much, after this scandal with trying to get more minorities on the job will benefit all of us who will get on. I asked why? He said is very simple, in a few years some of the minorities who are now getting on will say " hey how come NOW that the Job is getting more diverse they decide to give us less benefits than every other person that got on before us!" ... And BANG! There goes the fight to give everyone from this list the same tier as the guys before us. It's a long shot but is also a possibility, i myself will keep my hopes up.
    I have a similar attitude. It's kind of important to know the specifics now, but it's hard to care when it's so far away. I will be tier 3 as well because of when I started in EMS, however if I understand it right when I reach 22.5 years in Fire my EMS time gets added back on and instantly I'm at 25 years and good to go (if I want to). Your friend is right, because the unions could negotiate back some of the lost benefits. One interesting thing that is yet unclear is whether changes to the FDNY/NYPD pensions will have to be cost neutral, something that is required of all new tier 6 plans. Since they were exempted from the tier 6 BS they may be able to argue that changes to their plan are not required to be cost neutral, which could be great for us. As it stands the COLA benefit is so much more generous for tier 3 that the unions actually have a strong bargaining position against the city/state.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    I have a similar attitude. It's kind of important to know the specifics now, but it's hard to care when it's so far away. I will be tier 3 as well because of when I started in EMS, however if I understand it right when I reach 22.5 years in Fire my EMS time gets added back on and instantly I'm at 25 years and good to go (if I want to). Your friend is right, because the unions could negotiate back some of the lost benefits. One interesting thing that is yet unclear is whether changes to the FDNY/NYPD pensions will have to be cost neutral, something that is required of all new tier 6 plans. Since they were exempted from the tier 6 BS they may be able to argue that changes to their plan are not required to be cost neutral, which could be great for us. As it stands the COLA benefit is so much more generous for tier 3 that the unions actually have a strong bargaining position against the city/state.
    Exactly!. I'm sure most from this list have no clue how much we are losing here!. Everyone needs to be aware and know everything that is going on since we are the first to fall under any type of the changes to the pension/benefits system. NO one I know OTJ want any changes either even though they won't fall under them. One day their kids or maybe ours will become firefighters so we need to make sure that the value of the job stays high down the line.

Forum Member

Tier 3 is pretty good if you retire at a decent age (say <55) and are relatively healthy. Tier 3 sucks if you go out disability, or get killed. The one kick in the pants, even for those that leave in one piece is the social security offset: at 62 (when you start receiving social security) 50% of your social security benefit will be deducted from your pension payments. Example, since that's probably a little confusing: Say you bring home $4000/month from your pension, and at 62 you start to receive your SS benefit, to the tune of say... $2000/month. $1000 will be deducted from your pension check. Sucks.. but what can ya do?

All this could be renegotiated (for better or worse) over the coming decades. It won't change my decision.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 7andchange View Post
    When I went through the process for the 6019 list you had to show up to metro tech with all of the into they told you to get. You sat down with an investigator and they checked off everything to make sure you had it and then you left. That was the last time I saw my investigator. She called me once to clarify some info but that was it. The only other time i spoke with her was when I called looking for any info about an upcoming class. I don't have any felony's but trust me my record isn't squeaky clean. I passed with a 36 month stip. Don't stress too much. Just remember honesty is the best policy.
    What's a 36 month stip? Is that probation? What's the normal probation? A year?

Congrats on your score, by the way
    Test: 2000
    Score: 98
    List Number: 60**

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYPD View Post
    What's a 36 month stip? Is that probation? What's the normal probation? A year?

Congrats on your score, by the way
    Your probation period is one year. The stipulation "stip" is basically a longer probation. Everyone is subjected to random drug test but when you're on a stip you're put in a different pool and tested much more frequently. It's a zero tolerance policy. Any hint of drugs or booze and you're out the door no questions asked. And the deal is if they come to the firehouse x amount of times and you're not there, ie you swapped tours, they can restrict your mutuals until you've passed x amount of tests. So pretty much as long as you don't do drugs or go out drinking the night before you work you're fine.
    FDNYPD likes this.
    Test 2000
    Score 101
    List # 16**

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 7andchange View Post
    Your probation period is one year. The stipulation "stip" is basically a longer probation. Everyone is subjected to random drug test but when you're on a stip you're put in a different pool and tested much more frequently. It's a zero tolerance policy. Any hint of drugs or booze and you're out the door no questions asked. And the deal is if they come to the firehouse x amount of times and you're not there, ie you swapped tours, they can restrict your mutuals until you've passed x amount of tests. So pretty much as long as you don't do drugs or go out drinking the night before you work you're fine.
    Thank you for the quick response. My actual record is as clean as the driven snow. My "not caught" record is lengthy. Hopefully I can get in (if even called) with a stipulation.

Forum Member

Heh you just reminded me that I'm starting my process for PD soon. The joy.
    I'm right there with ya buddy. I'm set to go into the January NYPD class even though I'm at list #12XX for FDNY. Gotta hedge your bets since the only thing I've learned over the last 5 years is that we cant count on anything.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    I'm right there with ya buddy. I'm set to go into the January NYPD class even though I'm at list #12XX for FDNY. Gotta hedge your bets since the only thing I've learned over the last 5 years is that we cant count on anything.
    Yeah I'm sort of in the same boat. Graduating from a MBA program this December, will surely get some job offers, but with a list nunber in the 800s I'm just not sure what path to choose.

Btw speaking of education, maybe someone can answer this question. Is it relatively easier to be prompromoted with a higher education degree?
    Score: 102
    List: 8XX

Forum Member

Years count towards the back end but atleast it counts! I say take it bro. With your list number you will probably be in the third class anyways so you will get a "year" in atleast. Only one thing that sucks about it..... 2 academys in one year!!! Lol.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by knicksh2o View Post
    Yeah I'm sort of in the same boat. Graduating from a MBA program this December, will surely get some job offers, but with a list nunber in the 800s I'm just not sure what path to choose.

Btw speaking of education, maybe someone can answer this question. Is it relatively easier to be prompromoted with a higher education degree?
    It doesn't matter what level of degree you have bro. You have to take a test just like everyone else and based on your score you get placed on a list just like if you were taking any other civil test.

Forum Member

All I can say is that if they ask you to draw the first thing that comes to your head DO NOT draw a burning building. I heard someone say they were DQed cause of it haha
    Ohhhhh man I forgot about that drawing part. OMG I haven't been asked to draw a house like that since grade school.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    Ohhhhh man I forgot about that drawing part. OMG I haven't been asked to draw a house like that since grade school.
    I was asked to draw a family member doing a daily routine. I was originally going to draw my brother ( a cop) slamming someone on the floor and pistol whipping that person...... Then I remembered I couldn't draw for **** so I drew a stick figure walking on a street haha

Forum Member

[QUOTE=Jukez;1344782]It doesn't matter what level of degree you have bro. You have to take a test just like everyone else and based on your score you get placed on a list just like if you were taking any other civil test.[/QUOTE

Yeah I actually just googled some info about promotions, here's what I got
    - to be eligible for promotion you must be a firefighter for atleast 3 years
    - you must has 60 college credits
    - the test is all multiple choice but mc is only worth 50 percent of your final grade
    - the other 50 percent is based on seniority and merit
    - you get a 76 for 3 years of seniority and a 85 for 7 years of firefighting and ofcourse anything in between
    - the final 15 percent is awarded based on merits earned on the job.

Forum Member

So the highest grade a firefighter 3 years on the job with no merits can get is a 88. I wonder if that's good enough for a promotion. I'm deff going to bust my *** for some awards and merits.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    Because those silly drawing tests are geared toward school-aged children. I still can't figure out why adults applying for public safety fields still have to draw things
    Last edited by FDNYPD; 10-18-2012 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Spelling

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYPD View Post
    Thank you for the quick response. My actual record is as clean as the driven snow. My "not caught" record is lengthy. Hopefully I can get in (if even called) with a stipulation.

Why would you be hired with a stip if your record is clean as the driven snow?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    Why would you be hired with a stip if your record is clean as the driven snow?
    I admitted to a lot of stuff on my APD5 (PD side) and multiple other questionaires throughout my home state when applying to departments. If they wanted to investigate, I imagine they'd see all that information. I want to remain consistent with all departments so I come clean with everyone.

Forum Member

Gotcha....

Forum Member

I'm looking to buy a new heart rate monitor (with chest strap). Anyone here has any suggestion of something accurate at a decent price?

Forum Member

Since January I've been using a Polar RS300X with the footpad and chest strap. It wasn't cheap (cost about $110 if I remember correctly), but it's been great so far.
    Exam 2000
    Score 101
    List # 15**

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rpyrcz View Post
    Since January I've been using a Polar RS300X with the footpad and chest strap. It wasn't cheap (cost about $110 if I remember correctly), but it's been great so far.
    Do you feel that it gives you dead on accuracy on your hearrate? 110$ is not toooo bad I can work with that.

Forum Member

My medical is scheduled for next Wednesday with PD. I hear you with your last statement. Right now I have 4 possible careers lined up: having a college degree from Rutgers, scoring in the possible hiring range for FDNY, NYPD academy 'possibly' in July, and being in the union right now. Being a FF, however, has never gotten away from me though thanks to my Dad, Grandfather & Godfather being career guys. I'd drop anything for the job and I know my family would understand completely. Really need to weigh my options and feel out what will be the best for my future in case my number does/doesn't come up. Those extra residency points really would've helped me this go-around, but it is what it is & I feel blessed to have the hope that I have now for the job. Just keep training & praying to God almighty I get the chance to have a crack at the job someday.
    List 2000
    No points
    Score: 99
    #4XXX

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey all,
    Does anyone have the path that is used for the mile and a half run? I know it was posted many moons ago but I cannot seem to find it. Thnx folks!!

Forum Member

Do you feel that it gives you dead on accuracy on your hearrate? 110$ is not toooo bad I can work with that.
    I feel like it's been spot on for me. Amazon has a about 100 reviews if you want other peoples take. I'm not sure where everyone is located, but I try and run the Brooklyn bridge for my outdoor run a few times a week. Any other bridge runners? As things keep moving forward it would be great to run with some other guys prepping for this.
    Exam 2000
    Score 101
    List # 15**

Thread Information