Like Tree9889Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rcfd31 View Post
    I gotta step up the cardio, but I gotta drop some weight which will help. I have been lifting heavy for yrs now since the last time I worked out towards the academy. Last weigh in was 283. but i'm not fat but it's to much weight to carry for that kind of running.

you're 283lbs now and were doing 75lbs @ 75 steps per minute?! How in the world....

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    Our class was small so they split us into 2 groups. I guess they'll split you into 4-6 groups with a class that big. Take that as opinion only.

They have a DI at the halfway mark just waiting there (assume to headcount so nobody cheats), and a guy who actually runs the thing with you keeping the mile and half pace. Whatever you do, DO NOT try and rock earplugs and an ipod for that run. Some jackass tried that and got scorched by one of the instructors.

lol, that must have been a sight to see.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by wantachangeinpay View Post
    I've been reading these posts for week or so now and was just wondering why this department is so sought after rather than any other department? Granted I would love to be on the job there or Boston FD but just because of the tradition that they have. Just wondering what what your guys reasoning?
    It probably varies from person to person. For me I always loved NYC from a young age, and wanted to move here for years before I did, and well before I got interested in firefighting. When I got interested in firefighting it just got coupled with the desire to come here.

While this doesn't explain why some are willing to move cross country to take the job, there is also a logistical component to it. FDNY is the largest FD in the country, in the heart of the densest urban area in the country. If you could measure what % of the population in the metro area is interested in the job, it would probably be the same as many other places, but this metro area has 20-30m people, so the # that are interested is a whole lot higher.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    Just keep in mind the height to weight chart bro, you have an amazing list number don't get held up because your "overweight" in their standards.
    I think I was around mid 250's when I did my medical's and they didnt say anything about it. So I want to get to that but would rather be in the 240's. I know at that weight I can around a 7 min mile
    exam 2000
    list #2**
    score 105

Forum Member

No I haven't done the stairmaster with that much weight since I was in my 250's. I think I need to drop some weight before I start that again
    exam 2000
    list #2**
    score 105

Forum Member

I think I was around mid 250's when I did my medical's and they didnt say anything about it. So I want to get to that but would rather be in the 240's. I know at that weight I can around a 7 min mile
    How tall are you?

Forum Member

No I haven't done the stairmaster with that much weight since I was in my 250's. I think I need to drop some weight before I start that again

Ya, it's a lot of weight on your joints....how tall are you?

Forum Member

6'2, yes it def is. But thats why I will drop some weight before picking up the cardio. Doing no weight on stairmaster and doing eliptical is fine with my current weight, but when u add the weight and then the running I def have to drop some
    exam 2000
    list #2**
    score 105

Forum Member

6'2, yes it def is. But thats why I will drop some weight before picking up the cardio. Doing no weight on stairmaster and doing eliptical is fine with my current weight, but when u add the weight and then the running I def have to drop some
    Well, that sort of helps make sense of it. Still, it's a bit of a relief to know you made it through your medical at 6'2"/250. I am a bit anxious about being 6'/195.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Well, that sort of helps make sense of it. Still, it's a bit of a relief to know you made it through your medical at 6'2"/250. I am a bit anxious about being 6'/195.

I believe someone else here said before they were 5'11 and were told they had to be under 216 to be OK. You should be fine at 6/195.

I guess they don't weight you unless you look heavy? Since everyone carries weight differently?
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

Well, that sort of helps make sense of it. Still, it's a bit of a relief to know
    you made it through your medical at 6'2"/250. I am a bit anxious about being 6'/195.
    I dont see that being a prob at all. I know in the Army I had to be taped on every PT test. My max was 74" 211. I dont think it will ever be possible to get to that weight lol
    exam 2000
    list #2**
    score 105

Forum Member

You people make me feel skinny. 6'2 165lbs.......
    rcfd31 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    I believe someone else here said before they were 5'11 and were told they had to be under 216 to be OK. You should be fine at 6/195.

I guess they don't weight you unless you look heavy? Since everyone carries weight differently?
    haha unfortunately that was me.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    Just keep in mind the height to weight chart bro, you have an amazing list number don't get held up because your "overweight" in their standards.
    What chart they go by. What are their standards?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post

Everyone gets weighed, however your medical clearance is ultimately made by one of the MDs at BHS, so they can and do look at the whole picture when making that decision.

Forum Member

haha unfortunately that was me.
    Go onnnnnnnnnnn. Refresh us with the details of the story.

Forum Member

Go onnnnnnnnnnn. Refresh us with the details of the story.
    No story dude. I was working out, but eating like **** so I was like 15-20 lbs over that weight chart. Had to go back in for a repeat at the stairmaster anyways so I was able to lose the weight in a month pretty easy running 2-3 miles a day and eating right.

Forum Member

No story dude. I was working out, but eating like **** so I was like 15-20 lbs over that weight chart. Had to go back in for a repeat at the stairmaster anyways so I was able to lose the weight in a month pretty easy running 2-3 miles a day and eating right.
    So wait, you were like 230 and told you gotta get down below 216, or 216 and told to get down to 200?

Forum Member

So wait, you were like 230 and told you gotta get down below 216, or 216 and told to get down to 200?
    I got a better one. 6'3 and was 272 coming in for my medical. Was Told I had 30 days to drop 30 lbs. so I did it in 26. Had to be under 242 to get cleared for the acadamy that never even happened as you all know. I felt like I hit the lotto after that and then acadamy cancelled indefinitely. Maybe the height and weight regs will guide you a bit better
    Last edited by Truckie 1 day; 10-18-2012 at 07:53 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Truckie 1 day View Post
    I got a better one. 6'3 and was 272 coming in for my medical. Was Told I had 30 days to drop 30 lbs. so I did it in 26. Had to be under 242 to get cleared for the acadamy that never even happened as you all know. I felt like I hit the lotto after that and then acadamy cancelled indefinitely. Maybe the height and weight regs will guide you a bit better

how the hell do you lose 30lbs in 26 days?

Forum Member

I was in the process for Philadelphia fire dept.. Made it all the way to the end.. Even did gear fitting but I was 20 pounds over.. i was working out 3 times a day..weight vest.. Tire flipping sledge hammers u name it.. Worst feeling in the world. I didn't know until 2 and a half monthes before that I had to make weight.. Lost 50 pounds.. Was in the ER with a kidney stone from limiting water intake and eating next to nothing. Don't guess or take someone's word for it or assume the doctor will pass you bc you look in shape..

The weight chart they used in Philly, based on posts here are similar. You have a target weight with a 20% buffer..so for me being 5'10 my weight was 185 or so.. And my buffer was 216.. And every inch in height the weight went up 5 pounds. So you couldn't exceed the upper buffer limit.

I'm sure if you're 5lbs or less it probably won't be an issue.. Just make the weight and live your dream.. Sacrifice NOW.. ESP. You guys in the top 1000. I wouldn't wish the feeling of being so close and turned away on anyone. Especially 1 of my future brothers.

Good luck

Forum Member

Quick answer: degree in exercise science. Long answer: diet and exercise. Started running for at least an hour a day then it just got to miles once I got the hang of it. Ex football player so I eat like a savage so I cut that and started using the George foreman that was just laying around. Tried to Run first thing in the am and ate fruits and cereal a lot for breakfast, salads with home made dressing outta vinegar and salt and pepper with some ocean spray craisons for flavor. Grilled meat and veggies for dinner. Dropped the heavy lifting and did Cali's. never gave in and knew how bad I wanted it. They also made me get LASIK in that same 30 days but that was the easy part. I sped up my metabolism by eating something small every 2 hrs in between meals etc. read food labels to see how many calories how much fat, how many carbs etc. I was pretty extreme but I'm sure any of you guys would do the same for this job. People thought I was sick I lost so much weight so fast. Theory to it is you gotta have a plan. That's the key. If I didn't run in the morning I made sure when I got in from work I did. Sometimes I did both if I was feelin it. And when I was feeling like stopping I always happens to hear sirens lol. Great motivation when running outdoors.
    Last edited by Truckie 1 day; 10-18-2012 at 08:34 PM.
    HopefulFF and Dannyvale like this.

Forum Member

didn't catch up on this thread yet. But some one on the job told me there was no weight requirement, I am assuming he was wrong.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    didn't catch up on this thread yet. But some one on the job told me there was no weight requirement, I am assuming he was wrong.
    Maybe once you get on the job.. But it was like that in Philly.. Gotta make weight to get hired but once you get hired doesn't matter.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Truckie 1 day View Post
    Quick answer: degree in exercise science. Long answer: diet and exercise. Started running for at least an hour a day then it just got to miles once I got the hang of it. Ex football player so I eat like a savage so I cut that and started using the George foreman that was just laying around. Tried to Run first thing in the am and ate fruits and cereal a lot for breakfast, salads with home made dressing outta vinegar and salt and pepper with some ocean spray craisons for flavor. Grilled meat and veggies for dinner. Dropped the heavy lifting and did Cali's. never gave in and knew how bad I wanted it. They also made me get LASIK in that same 30 days but that was the easy part. I sped up my metabolism by eating something small every 2 hrs in between meals etc. read food labels to see how many calories how much fat, how many carbs etc. I was pretty extreme but I'm sure any of you guys would do the same for this job. People thought I was sick I lost so much weight so fast. Theory to it is you gotta have a plan. That's the key. If I didn't run in the morning I made sure when I got in from work I did. Sometimes I did both if I was feelin it. And when I was feeling like stopping I always happens to hear sirens lol. Great motivation when running outdoors.
    Nice !!!! What's the max weight for 5'9 .. Also you still got the info on the LASIK ? I'm going to need it in one eye. Would have to pay out of pocket but if I maje it it would be all worth it !!!

Forum Member

delete delete delete
    Last edited by Leather_4_Ever; 10-19-2012 at 01:54 AM. Reason: delete

Thread Information