Like Tree9967Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

thanks im on the job in fl its already difficult going back and forth and i grew up in NY so my fam is still there so i wish they had a week long prep class instead of being broken up

Forum Member

Anyone attend the prep class? Week 1 was last week, unfortunately I was out of town and couldn't make the class. I was wondering if anyone went & if they thought it was going to be helpful.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    Anyone attend the prep class? Week 1 was last week, unfortunately I was out of town and couldn't make the class. I was wondering if anyone went & if they thought it was going to be helpful.
    Yes, it was ok. I expected a little more for 450 but it is what it is. If you cant get the info from last week PM me and we'll figure something out.

Forum Member

I attended the one in brooklyn. It was interesting to hear about all the gossip of what could be on the exam. One would probably do just as good with out the class and some study books. I am happy with my choice to attend thou.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MerritMatters View Post
    Yes, it was ok. I expected a little more for 450 but it is what it is. If you cant get the info from last week PM me and we'll figure something out.
    I emailed someone over there and they are sending me a copy of the info handed out, thanks for the offer though, appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    I attended the one in brooklyn. It was interesting to hear about all the gossip of what could be on the exam. One would probably do just as good with out the class and some study books. I am happy with my choice to attend thou.

I pretty much expected to hear these reviews. I'm hoping the last class or two are a little more informative, but not really expecting much at this point.

Forum Member

it really just struck me as being unreasonably expensive considering that nobody knows what this test is made up of. i mean i have paid less for private tutors for school in the past

Forum Member

I am glad I attended, I just meant that if you don't have the money it's not the end of the world.

Forum Member

http://meritmattersusa.blogspot.com/
    interesting press release.

Forum Member

iam a full time student on the gi bill, will a letter from my accountant saying that i was an unemployed full time student for tax year 2010 be acceptable along with a letter from my registrar? i started doing real estate this past year and will be able to give a 1099 for 2011

Forum Member

What was covered at these prep classes? I thought all of the classes were holding off until the test format is released.

Just saw this on the Merrit Matters site... figured I would post it

For your information- here is the latest (as of 12/6/11) on issues surrounding the next test. Be advised- details and dates are subject to change.

Date- testing to begin late February/early March 2012. Test is expected to run for a 5 week period.

Tutoring/ test preparation- an on-line tutorial is expected to begin 1/11/12. Information and Tutorial Nights are scheduled to begin the week of 2/6/12. These will be a one-time opportunity for each applicant to attend an in-person event at one of approximately 35 locations. There will be various dates. Firefighters and Fire Officers will be needed to staff these events and be trained on an overtime basis. If you are interested (and we encourage you to participate) send an e-mail to:

recruitment@fdny.nyc.gov Put "FIT Session Instructor" in Subject Line

Applicants will be allowed to re-schedule their assigned test date one time. If you were scheduled to show up and are a no-show, however, you will not be allowed to re-schedule.

There are expected to be multiple forms of the exam and a randomization of questions.

Admission notices should be received by 1/27/12.

All applicants should be receiving bi-weekly E-Alerts with relevant information, updates, changes etc. from Recruitment.

It is unclear whether the CPAT will be used as the Physical test
    Last edited by dkjets75; 12-08-2011 at 11:42 AM.

Forum Member

check your email guys, DCAS sent letters out today confirming the physical will be the CPAT. Guess it's not a big surprise, the CPAT is lawyer-proof.

Forum Member

I havnt gotten the email yet..wondering if I should call and be like hey whats up?

MembersZone Subscriber

Got mine today. Best of luck to everyone

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYC DCAS
    Dear Firefighter Applicant:

This notice provides you with updated information about the Firefighter examination.
    As previously mentioned, the first part of the Firefighter examination will be the computer-based test, which is expected to be administered beginning late February or March 2012.

Before you take the computer-based test, you will have the opportunity to view a computer-based tutorial so that you are familiar with computer-based testing and the various question types. By January 11, 2012, it is expected that the tutorial will be available for viewing on the DCAS website at http://www.nyc.gov/dcas. You are strongly encouraged to view the tutorial. The City of New York does not endorse or recommend any particular commercial test preparation course.

If you pass the computer-based test, you may be scheduled, depending on the number of vacancies within the FDNY, to take the physical part of the Firefighter examination. The physical ability test used will be the Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT), which is scored on a pass/fail basis. This test consists of a series of 8 events designed to assess the ability to perform the physical aspects of the job of a Firefighter. The test events are: stair climb, hose drag, equipment carry, ladder raise and extension, forcible entry, search, rescue and ceiling breach and pull. Please note that there will be a period of at least several months between the time when the computer-based test is given and when any applicants will be scheduled to take the CPAT.

A more detailed description of the physical test will be distributed to you before any scheduling for the CPAT begins, and is expected to be available for viewing by April 2, 2012 on the DCAS website at http://www.nyc.gov/dcas. You are strongly encouraged to view this information.

Thank You,
    What the letter says in your inbox. Also to the one's that might not have received it, check your spam folders too!

Forum Member

I was figuring with all the legal issues taking place they would go the CPAT route. I haven't received the e-mail yet that has been posted but I'm not to worried about it. Hope everyone's training is going well.

Forum Member

http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/cityroom/384177;.w6

Whoops this the mobile version. I hope it works on your computers.

Forum Member

http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stori...ate-follow-ups

funny, when I applied in 2006, i knew 0 people on the FDNY, and moved a couple times throughout the process, yet I managed to make it to all steps of the process without a hitch........

peculiar
    I should have cleaned up the chili.....why didn't I clean up the chili!!!!!!

Forum Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EHBlnPUW0c

Encouragement is what the court thinks what they want

Forum Member

so are these people who only filled out the original slip of interest and didn't file at all.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 12-22-2011 at 03:07 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    so are these people who only filled out the original slip of interest and didn't file at all.
    I would like to know this as well. What do they mean their applications are pending?

Forum Member

http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stori...ate-follow-ups

This is truly unbelievable. In any other fire department testing process in any other city in this country, the very first way to weed out candidates is to only accept those applicants who bothered to fill out the application correctly and fully. These are definitely the guys you want in the firehouse, the guys who needed to be pushed and dragged all the way to the rock.

By the way, I live out in California, I couldn’t even name one guy on the job right now, so who is going to come knock on my door to encourage me to keep at it? I am saving up my pennies to fly out there for the written. This stuff ****es me off to no end. It’s simply not right.
    Last edited by theheights202; 12-23-2011 at 12:44 AM.

Forum Member

The news sucks, its amazing how they never report all the facts. They totally left out that filing was closed and they are pretty much extending it for black applicants only. What the hell are they talking about with making the generalization that white applicants are getting encouraged more, if the filing is closed no one can be encouraged.

There is no way this judge is not gonna implement quotas or throw out the test. I hope the city can fully appeal in under a year.

Forum Member

does anyone know whether applications are still actually open for black applicants.

it sounds as though "follow up" may be something else, to still have applications open is a blatant violation of the law, and as I have been keeping track of the court case, I have not seen anywhere that this stipulation to keep the period open for black applicants only has been cleared.

MembersZone Subscriber

Plus let's remember that MOH recipient Dakota Meyer did the right thing by refusing ANY special treatment.
    Think any of these guys will follow his example?

Forum Member

A little bit of advice for the guys about to take test. There is ging to be A LOT of double standard BS going on. You will get only one shot to do things, and do them correctly while others will get many. Sucks, believe me I know.

So... you can let it really bother you (and rightly so) and this will add undue stress & anger.
    Or you can worry about yourself. Only yourself. And the hell with what happens with any other guy or gal.

Advice given to me many years ago and boy did it pay off!

Good luck.

Thread Information