Like Tree10625Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MeloX View Post
    Glad to hear things are moving along with the promo list...looking forward to some of you getting on from the OC...only thing i'm trying to gauge whether or not to join CG Reserves before they get down to the 14XX's...I'd like to get that over with so that my schedule is clear what would be my second bootcamp at the Rock if I get chosen lord willing...

List # 14XX
    that may be a conflict because as a reservist you will go straight to a-school before guys AD. either yorktown or petaluma depending what you wanna do...not e-city cuz reservists cant do aviation rates. anyway if you didnt make the push for a direct a-school out of boot then you would be a proby and a seamen at the same time....alot of toilets to clean, i was 4 yrs ad at airsta borinquen in aguadilla puerto rico and reserve its alot of fun the education benefits are great and you work with a great group of guys . i would say try and do it, if its something you want

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FdnytolifeE293 View Post
    Ffbam and fdsouthbx, what list number on the oc list can you guys predict will be called before the list gets exhausted?
    if we both get called there a good chance we could be in the academy together

here is what the city has came out and said

TEST RESULTS
    Of the 41,764 people who took the Open Competitive exam, 40,864 passed. However, in light of our hiring needs over the next four years, we expect that – in addition to those who took and passed the promotional exam (870) – only those candidates who scored a 97 or above on the Open Competitive exam (8,548) have a likelihood of being considered for appointment.
    Breakdown of Likely Hires by ethnicity – 9,417 Total (869 Promotional added to 8,548 Open Competitive list)
     White
     Hispanic
     Black
     Asian
     Other
    5,045 total (53.5%) 2,131 total (22.6%) 1,859 total (19.7%)
    351 total (3.7%) 31
    Breakdown of Likely Hires by Gender – 9,417 total
     Male 8,980 total (95.3%)
     Female 437 total (4.6%)
    [It’s worth noting that the total percentage of minorities on this likely-to-be considered list (46%) is nearly identical to the percentage that took the Open Competitive exam (45.7%)].

http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/insider...up_50_2012.pdf

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nev7248 View Post
    I'm on the job.
    I apologize!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CableGuy516 View Post
    I know you're trying to help but let's allow the guys on the job to answer the questions about the job. Bad information is worse than no information in this process.
    Even the guys on the job don't always know what they're talking about.

Case in point:

“The cost of a probie firefighter is far less than paying overtime,” said Rush. Stephen Rush is a FDNY Assistant Commissioner in charge of Budget and Finance. You couldn't have a more credible source than the man who crunches the numbers for a living and was put on the stand by city attorneys to prove this to Garaufis.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/f...lmS6k3hosQ6MfK
    Last edited by GIMMEFIRE600; 10-22-2012 at 03:31 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by myles8683 View Post
    that may be a conflict because as a reservist you will go straight to a-school before guys AD. either yorktown or petaluma depending what you wanna do...not e-city cuz reservists cant do aviation rates. anyway if you didnt make the push for a direct a-school out of boot then you would be a proby and a seamen at the same time....alot of toilets to clean, i was 4 yrs ad at airsta borinquen in aguadilla puerto rico and reserve its alot of fun the education benefits are great and you work with a great group of guys . i would say try and do it, if its something you want

I appreciate your valuable input Les....didn't think i'd hear from a coastie...I'm thinking MK and as far as A-school goes...AD wait time for that school is 9-12 months right now...not sure about reservists..I'll ask my recruiter about it, before I received my scores I was going to go AD with the guard but considering I just got married and I want the best of both world..I think FF as my primary occupation is the best deal while i pick up some other skills and reap the benefits...those education benefits could come in handy when I go for my masters in a field where i can get per diem work on the side...Again thank you man.

List #14XX

Forum Member

What you got against coasties as a former BM2 I take offence. Lol
    myles8683 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post

Case in point:

“The cost of a probie firefighter is far less than paying overtime,” said Rush. Stephen Rush is a FDNY Assistant Commissioner in charge of Budget and Finance. You couldn't have a more credible source than the man who crunches the numbers for a living and was put on the stand by city attorneys to prove this to Garaufis.

yeah i know buddy but i only state stuff from dep orders or regs....you don't get over time in proby school.. we work 48 hours a week and get paid for 40..and i wouldn't believe what the paper writes they will write what ever sounds good but not the truth, and the city will tell you a bunch of BS just to get what they want.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Depan395 View Post
    What you got against coasties as a former BM2 I take offence. Lol

Lol no disrespect its just that I didn't think i'd find coasties on the forum, def lucky to find you guys so I can get some answers from 1st hand experience

Forum Member

yeah i know buddy but i only state stuff from dep orders or regs....you don't get over time in proby school.. we work 48 hours a week and get paid for 40..and i wouldn't believe what the paper writes they will write what ever sounds good but not the truth, and the city will tell you a bunch of BS just to get what they want.
    FYI, my post wasn't directed at you.

Forum Member

FYI, my post wasn't directed at you.
    i know i was trying to clarify it for people...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FdnytolifeE293 View Post
    Ffbam and fdsouthbx, what list number on the oc list can you guys predict will be called before the list gets exhausted?
    Only God knows. You're going to have to wait and see after the first two or three classes to get an idea of how fast its moving.

I'm on the job
    Well that changes things, but unless policy is changing, O/T has always been paid in the academy. Not much, but some. As for probation in the field, probys have always been given Rosters and with the redline where it is, I don't see how they can deny O/T to probys. This would be new as they were allowed to work in the past.

Case in point:

Do yourself a credibility favor....don't EVER site the NY Post as a source. That isn't a newspaper, its beach reading...either way, the number sighted in that article makes reference to firefighters at top pay. That article also says we'd be down 1,200 firefighters by 2012 and we're only slightly over half that number. That is a propaganda piece that the city hoped would urge the judge to hire or give them cause to close firehouses. They cherry pick numbers to make their case.

I wish I could locate the source, but I recall reading that the true cost of hiring a proby is between 200-250% of base pay. That means somewhere between $72,000 and $90,000, both figures exceed what a 2nd grade firefighter makes WITH overtime. While that doesn't include his pension, it doesn't matter, you're already paying that amount whether you hire or not.

This is a stupid argument. The city will hire, they'll hire 300 every 18-20 weeks for the next 4 years, unless something dramatic happens. Stop arguing from an ill-informed position. We read every dept. order, some of us go to every union meeting and every Merit Matters meeting. It is in our interest, just as it is in all of yours, to know what's going on out there. We want to know what's happening with the future of this job and a few of us are here to help.

Forum Member

I should probably call DCAS and get this sorted out soon. I graduated HS in '09, so it doesn't make sense for them to accept my diploma when it is a year before the period they request, even though I wasn't 21 yet when I took the exam.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    Only God knows. You're going to have to wait and see after the first two or three classes to get an idea of how fast its moving.

Well that changes things, but unless policy is changing, O/T has always been paid in the academy. Not much, but some. As for probation in the field, probys have always been given Rosters and with the redline where it is, I don't see how they can deny O/T to probys. This would be new as they were allowed to work in the past.

Do yourself a credibility favor....don't EVER site the NY Post as a source. That isn't a newspaper, its beach reading...either way, the number sighted in that article makes reference to firefighters at top pay. That article also says we'd be down 1,200 firefighters by 2012 and we're only slightly over half that number. That is a propaganda piece that the city hoped would urge the judge to hire or give them cause to close firehouses. They cherry pick numbers to make their case.

I wish I could locate the source, but I recall reading that the true cost of hiring a proby is between 200-250% of base pay. That means somewhere between $72,000 and $90,000, both figures exceed what a 2nd grade firefighter makes WITH overtime. While that doesn't include his pension, it doesn't matter, you're already paying that amount whether you hire or not.

This is a stupid argument. The city will hire, they'll hire 300 every 18-20 weeks for the next 4 years, unless something dramatic happens. Stop arguing from an ill-informed position. We read every dept. order, some of us go to every union meeting and every Merit Matters meeting. It is in our interest, just as it is in all of yours, to know what's going on out there. We want to know what's happening with the future of this job and a few of us are here to help.

I quoted the post because they quoted the Asst. Commish and I knew about his quote because I was in the court room when Mr. Rush said it.

Just like the city, you chose to cherry pick numbers as well. You well know that when Mr. Rush, who has held is position since 1987, said this the department still had the fifth man. If you guys still had the fifth man, the number you'd be down would be closer to over 1000 right now.

I do agree with you on one thing, it is a stupid argument. It's just hard for me to not defend myself when my statements are correct.
    Last edited by GIMMEFIRE600; 10-22-2012 at 05:00 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    I'm pretty sure that they will ask for notarized papers from your parents stating that you were living there with them and maybe they will even ask THEM to send some papers to prove that THEY lived there as well lol. That's just my guess though
    I should probably call DCAS and get this sorted out soon. I graduated HS in '09, so it doesn't make sense for them to accept my diploma when it is a year before the period they request, even though I wasn't 21 yet when I took the exam

Forum Member

Also, might wanna check this out guys

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/html/em...ity_Test.shtml

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mocon337 View Post
    I should probably call DCAS and get this sorted out soon. I graduated HS in '09, so it doesn't make sense for them to accept my diploma when it is a year before the period they request, even though I wasn't 21 yet when I took the exam
    You should definitely call. However, I'm sure there are avenues for clarification. If you lived at home, I'm sure you had bank statements. Could be something like a notarized letter from your parents along with utility bills. Given the scrutiny this process is getting, I'm sure they'll have a legal avenue for you to provide proof.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm on the job
    My bad brother. I should have double-checked your posts.
    Although, we did get OT in the form of "Other" or something like that when we didn't get out on-time.
    Time and a half of not much is still not much at time and a half.
    Good to see another on here who is interested in the future of the job.
    FDsouthbxNY likes this.

Forum Member

When were the candidates from the promotional exam first notified to begin processing such as the 12 - week CPAT course?

Was it in August or September?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by QCFRANKC View Post
    When were the candidates from the promotional exam first notified to begin processing such as the 12 - week CPAT course?

Was it in August or September?
    Very end of August/beginning of September we got the notices to show up for the CPAT orientation (which is when you can sign up for the CPAT classes), and our background investigation packets with an appointment date set for meeting with an investigator. At the time all of the material said that while the list had been made up they were not yet able to share it, and the CPAT/background investigation stuff did not indicate that you'd passed, or are eligible.

I believe the reason the first class will be entirely promotional is because they probably hoped that they would be able to get a full class off that list, and they could process the entire promotional list at the same time without having to first tell candidates scores, so it saved them roughly a month or so in time, as opposed to if they had to wait for the lists to be released.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by eng1irons View Post
    I've got a family and would be leaving top pay to make the switch. So, I kind of have to be concerned with that.
    Someone mentioned that over here ... Save your money pay your bills, etc ... If i get called I would be taking a tremendous pay cut also and got a family to support too. It's a lot to consider but I have made my decision
    FDsouthbxNY and BigGriffC12 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dannyvale View Post
    Someone mentioned that over here ... Save your money pay your bills, etc ... If i get called I would be taking a tremendous pay cut also and got a family to support too. It's a lot to consider but I have made my decision
    I'd live under a bridge in queens.. Or in my truck with both my dogs..

Forum Member

Congrats to everyone within striking distance. I've noticed a few of you mention lasik. Groupon currently has a deal, $1795 for both eyes. The procedure is being done by Manhattan Lasik Center. Does anyone have any feedback regarding the facility.
    #30XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blinkster View Post
    Congrats to everyone within striking distance. I've noticed a few of you mention lasik. Groupon currently has a deal, $1795 for both eyes. The procedure is being done by Manhattan Lasik Center. Does anyone have any feedback regarding the facility.
    I've heard the price goes according to the condition of your eye .. In only have one bad eye on is 20/20 the other eye I can't remember but it's really blurry, so that eye needs LASIK ASAP

Forum Member

Just opened my folder with all the papers from the 6019 process... Time to replace it with the exam 2000 stuff. First thing to go in... Dcas score & list number notice...

MembersZone Subscriber

Time to start a new folder.
    I have some extra if you need one.
    My1Goal likes this.

Thread Information