Like Tree11270Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

I'm confused, they're already doing medicals for the EMT's promotional exam ? I thought they haven't even done the CPAT yet ? And doesn't the CPAT come first ?
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    I'm confused, they're already doing medicals for the EMT's promotional exam ? I thought they haven't even done the CPAT yet ? And doesn't the CPAT come first ?
    I don't think they are to concerned with the order of the process. They have 83 days to get a class of 320 together. Plus they want to get most of it done before the holidays. They told us from the get go that this was going to be a very fast process and that we would be doing our CPAT one week and medical the next.
    The CPAT is suppose to start Nov 15th. I don't think its against the rules to start bringing some of us in for our medicals before that seeing as how we all have medicals once a year anyway. The only difference this time around is that we'll have the vests on for the stepmill. They anticipate having the first mile and half on Jan 5th so they pretty much need everyone processed by then and as people fail that (which should be a good number) they will replenish with more eligible guys and create a probie class.
    or something....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    I really don't think the order matters. When I went for my medical for 6019 there were a couple of guys there that had already done the CPAT but I wasn't scheduled to go for another couple of weeks.
    Test 2000
    Score 101
    List # 16**

Forum Member

I am having an absolute brain fart on the maximum heart rate formula for the medical. I think there are a couple ways you can do it no? Either 200 minus your age, or 220 and then something with .09? Help a brother out...

Forum Member

In terms of the Medical part. Can a pior ankle surgery Dq you?
    Thankx for the forum been so informative.

Forum Member
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    I am having an absolute brain fart on the maximum heart rate formula for the medical. I think there are a couple ways you can do it no? Either 200 minus your age, or 220 and then something with .09? Help a brother out...

I think it's 220-your age X .90
    I will not tire, I will not falter, and I will not fail!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FdnytolifeE293 View Post
    I think it's 220-your age X .90
    I think you're correct. I had the decimal place wrong. Thanks buddy...

Forum Member

If you wana get your true max capacity heart rate use the karvonen formula. I used to do this day one with my personal training clients. You need to get an accurate resting heart rate. So when you wake up in the morning, take your pulse. Thats a good resting heart rate. (before even getting out of bed)
    Then use the resting heart rate in the formula to get either a target heart rate for a workout or a "max" heart rate. For a good target zone you wana work out anywhere from 65-85 percent of your max depending on the workout. "Max" I guess would be 100 percent but I guess you could plug in 95 percent to be safe. So for myself....

220 - 29(age) = 191
    191 - 42(Rest HR) = 149
    149 x .95 + 42 = 183

So 95 percent of my maximum would be 183. I think down at BHS they just simply use 220-age. The formula I just used is great for everyone to use for training. You can plug in whatever percentage you guys wana work at and have those numbers as reference for your target zones. Aerobic, anaerobic.
    Instead of plugging in .95 first plug in .65 and then do the formula again and plug in .85 and this will give you your target zones working at 65-85 percent capacity.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JerkAlert View Post
    If you wana get your true max capacity heart rate use the karvonen formula. I used to do this day one with my personal training clients. You need to get an accurate resting heart rate. So when you wake up in the morning, take your pulse. Thats a good resting heart rate. (before even getting out of bed)
    Then use the resting heart rate in the formula to get either a target heart rate for a workout or a "max" heart rate. For a good target zone you wana work out anywhere from 65-85 percent of your max depending on the workout. "Max" I guess would be 100 percent but I guess you could plug in 95 percent to be safe. So for myself....

220 - 29(age) = 191
    191 - 42(Rest HR) = 149
    149 x .95 + 42 = 183

So 95 percent of my maximum would be 183. I think down at BHS they just simply use 220-age. The formula I just used is great for everyone to use for training. You can plug in whatever percentage you guys wana work at and have those numbers as reference for your target zones. Aerobic, anaerobic.
    Instead of plugging in .95 first plug in .65 and then do the formula again and plug in .85 and this will give you your target zones working at 65-85 percent capacity.
    Awesome stuff, thanks. However when you say "down at BHS they simply use 220-age", that is not in terms of the step mill test, correct? Unless things have changed, which I seriously doubt. Unless you meant "200-age"?

Forum Member

Dude honestly I have no idea if its 200 or 220. Traditionally its 220 because thats a newborns heart rate. At least thats what they told us in sports medicine school. I do the stepmill every year for the past 5 years for EMS and never noticed.
    Just run guys. A lot and fast. Push yourselves with intervals some days and go longer distance other days. Get that resting heart rate down.

Forum Member

Indeed, good advice. I was just curious. I really don't think that 190 would be the threshold for a 30 yr old guy on the stepmill. I think it's closer to 170. Just trying to clarify is all. I couldn't recall...

Forum Member

It is (220-age)*0.9

I am 26, mine is 175.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hotchi11 View Post
    In terms of the Medical part. Can a pior ankle surgery Dq you?
    Thankx for the forum been so informative.
    I know of guys who had prior surgeries and got on the job, Not ankle surgery though. My advice to you is don't lie when you go in for your medical cause if you do and they find out you will probably get DQ on the spot.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    So is it speculation or pretty clear that they went through all the EMS candidates who are eligible at this point. Does that mean they will put through a small class.
    They are processing all 870 people for this class, which was the case from the get go. Regardless of whether or not they pass everything there will be some candidates that will have to wait till a later class due to the minimum amount of time needed on the job to promote. Whether or not they manage to get a full ~320 off the list for January is speculation, but a moot point here, because there will probably be a marginal amount of EMS people in future classes.

Forum Member

When do you need all these documents by? Im assuming we get a "package" in the mail, then we get all the paperwork needed? How long does the FDNY give you for that? Also what is the process exactly? Cpat then medical the psych? Does this all take place while we gather docs? Any knowledge on this subject would be appreciated...
    Test # 2000
    Score # 101
    List # 19XX
    Intake 3/5/14
    CPAT 3/27/14
    Medical 7/23/14

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYgrad2012 View Post
    When do you need all these documents by? Im assuming we get a "package" in the mail, then we get all the paperwork needed? How long does the FDNY give you for that? Also what is the process exactly? Cpat then medical the psych? Does this all take place while we gather docs? Any knowledge on this subject would be appreciated...
    You receive a big envelope in the mail where they request all those docs. They'll tell you a specific date to come to Metrotech (early in the AM) where you'll be introduced to your investigator. That same day you'll be fingerprinted. This is considered your background investigation.

The order it went for me last time was CPAT, background, Psych, Medical....then unfortunately my tease at the Rock. Hopefully the outcome at the end is different this time around.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYgrad2012 View Post
    You get a lot of time, but you don't want to **** around and wait to gather it. Once you get your packet you should knock that **** out.

edit: the first **** begins with F, the second begins with S.
    vekdoggs75 and rcfd31 like this.

Forum Member

getting all my paperwork in order. Forgot to update my address with my tax forms, and a few of my bills. Hope it doesn't screw me with the residency points.
    Test 2000
    Score:98
    List# 5XXX

Forum Member

[QUOTE=roadrunner09;1345424]Awesome stuff, thanks. However when you say "down at BHS they simply use 220-age", that is not in terms of the step mill test, correct? Unless things have changed, which I seriously doubt. Unless you meant "200-age"?[/QUOTE

How the heart rate works ?
    When they would be monitoring your rate ???

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    You get a lot of time, but you don't want to **** around and wait to gather it. Once you get your packet you should knock that **** out.

edit: the first **** begins with F, the second begins with S.
    Totally agree - especially if you have to get something from a gov office.

Forum Member

In terms of the background check, can one open container summons DQ you? Thanks in advance for any help and information.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=DODFF;1345350]Recently had PRK eye surgery so if anyone has any questions just let me know.[/QUOTE

I would like to know what PRK and what's the difference between that and LASIK and how much you paid and how bad your eyes were ? Thanks

Forum Member

Can someone please tell me what are the vision requirements? I have a low prescription and want to know if I should be concerned. I passed the NYPD medical a few years ago and my vision is the same. Thanks in advance

Forum Member

What's with the mile and a half run? If you don't make it under 12 mins your done?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by steven9d3 View Post
    What's with the mile and a half run? If you don't make it under 12 mins your done?
    under 12 is no remedial pt. 12-13 is remedial pt, over 13 and thats a no go
    exam 2000
    list #2**
    score 105

Thread Information