Like Tree11352Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rcfd31 View Post
    under 12 is no remedial pt. 12-13 is remedial pt, over 13 and thats a no go
    Thanks is there any other testing on the first day?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by steven9d3 View Post
    Thanks is there any other testing on the first day?
    the mile and half you do prior to academy is by itself, but when u go into the academy there are also pushups, pullups situps and I think sit and reach if I remember correct
    exam 2000
    list #2**
    score 105

Forum Member

I wonder what's going to DQ people more. The stair master or the run?
    #30XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blinkster View Post
    I wonder what's going to DQ people more. The stair master or the run?
    its like anything else in life those who really want it will work hard and get it and people sitting on the couch wont make it

Forum Member

The info on HR is greatly appreciated - thanks everyone. To clarify, what is the stair master exercise? Is it 75 lb vest for 15 minutes? If so, what is the climb rate of the machine set to? And can you hold the rails?

Also, for those who have gone through it, at what point in the medical does one go through the stair master exercise? Wondering if my heart rate will already be elevated by that point…

Lastly, I've run a bunch of marathons and I'm in pretty decent shape but I've never trained to lower HR. If any real runners or personal trainers out there can give some advice on a training method for lowering HR, it would be appreciated…

Thanks guys.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 103
    List # 53X

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nycthirteen View Post
    The info on HR is greatly appreciated - thanks everyone. To clarify, what is the stair master exercise? Is it 75 lb vest for 15 minutes? If so, what is the climb rate of the machine set to? And can you hold the rails?

Also, for those who have gone through it, at what point in the medical does one go through the stair master exercise? Wondering if my heart rate will already be elevated by that point…

Lastly, I've run a bunch of marathons and I'm in pretty decent shape but I've never trained to lower HR. If any real runners or personal trainers out there can give some advice on a training method for lowering HR, it would be appreciated…

Thanks guys.
    its 50 lbs for 5 min 12 seconds i think. You can't touch the handrails. You will fail if you touch them and it everyone does different stations so you can be at the stairmaster at any point of the medical except the last step which is to see the doc when everything else is completeted.
    exam 2000
    list #2**
    score 105

Forum Member

Thanks guys.
    Biggest part of the step mill for the medical is controlling your breathing. If you can control your breathing your golden. I was literally holding my breath in increments for the final two min. You will literally see your HR drop when you control your breathing. During the test you won't be able to see your HR, the FF conducting the exam sees your HR on a watch he's holding.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    Biggest part of the step mill for the medical is controlling your breathing. If you can control your breathing your golden. I was literally holding my breath in increments for the final two min. You will literally see your HR drop when you control your breathing. During the test you won't be able to see your HR, the FF conducting the exam sees your HR on a watch he's holding.
    Thanks Gimmiefire. Can you confirm the weight of the vest, the time on the stair master, and the rate of the ascent?
    List # 53X

Forum Member

Thanks Gimmiefire. Can you confirm the weight of the vest, the time on the stair master, and the rate of the ascent?
    50#, that I'm sure of. As for the rate, I believe its 60 steps per min, pretty sure about that but not 100% positive.
    ffbam24 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    50#, that I'm sure of. As for the rate, I believe its 60 steps per min, pretty sure about that but not 100% positive.
    it is 60 steps per min. I am positive about that
    exam 2000
    list #2**
    score 105

Forum Member

Awesome, thanks guys. And its for a little over 5 minutes? Just want to replicate the exact exercise as often as I can and practice keeping my HR as low as possible...
    List # 53X

Forum Member

Awesome, thanks guys. And its for a little over 5 minutes? Just want to replicate the exact exercise as often as I can and practice keeping my HR as low as possible...
    I"m almost postive that it's 5:12 that we have to do it for.
    nycthirteen likes this.
    exam 2000
    list #2**
    score 105

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    I know of guys who had prior surgeries and got on the job, Not ankle surgery though. My advice to you is don't lie when you go in for your medical cause if you do and they find out you will probably get DQ on the spot.
    Yea, I also wanted to know about this. I broke my ankle back in 2009 and the docs put in two screws and a plate..

Forum Member

Hey guys, I just joined the forums last night. I have been reading through this entire thread for a while now. I have 1 question that I am worried about. I am 20 years old and I lived in Queens my whole life so I applied for Residency. I was checking the requirements last night and I realized that it said I needed a HS diploma which I have AND any of the following:

• Mortgage in the candidate’s name valid during the 12-month period between July 1, 2010 and June 30, 2011
    • Cable bills for the 12-month period prior to July 1, 2011
    • Telephone bills for the 12-month period prior to July 1, 2011
    • Gas, electric or water utility bills for the 12-month period prior to July 1, 2011
    • Checking or savings account statements for the 12-month period prior to July 1, 2011
    • Credit card statements for the 12-month period prior to July 1, 2011 and
    • W-2 form(s) from the candidate’s employer for the 2010 and 2011 tax years.

I do have a Debit card but I received it around March 2012..This wouldn't qualify to them since it says prior 2011. Can somebody please let me know if I can show them something else proving that I live in Queens.

Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by polanco; 10-23-2012 at 08:31 PM.

Forum Member

hmm... what about if you fail the heart rate on the stepmill and they make you come back and do it again in 30 days. Don't they make you walk for a longer time and if you do you pass? I passed for 6019 but a few of my buddies walked more time and passed or something. But yeah, you don't see your heart rate the instructor conducting the test does and it come on the watch monitor and on the computer also in the room which someone is monitoring. Eye requirements: I had to get lasik back then as well. the eye exam was one where you look in a thing and have to express which way a open sided letter was facing. If you couldn't make it out, which i couldn't, you had 30 days to fix it and come back and pass. the color blind part was where you saw a color with a letter or number in it of a different color. Hope this helps anyone concerned. also anyone who thinks this is too much info let me know so i can edit stuff out...
    Last edited by Truckie 1 day; 10-23-2012 at 09:00 PM.

Forum Member

I think that is correct that if u fail you do have to come back and do it for a longer period of time.
    exam 2000
    list #2**
    score 105

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by polanco View Post
    Hey guys, I just joined the forums last night. I have been reading through this entire thread for a while now. I have 1 question that I am worried about. I am 20 years old and I lived in Queens my whole life so I applied for Residency. I was checking the requirements last night and I realized that it said I needed a HS diploma which I have AND any of the following:

• Mortgage in the candidate’s name valid during the 12-month period between July 1, 2010 and June 30, 2011
    • Cable bills for the 12-month period prior to July 1, 2011
    • Telephone bills for the 12-month period prior to July 1, 2011
    • Gas, electric or water utility bills for the 12-month period prior to July 1, 2011
    • Checking or savings account statements for the 12-month period prior to July 1, 2011
    • Credit card statements for the 12-month period prior to July 1, 2011 and
    • W-2 form(s) from the candidate’s employer for the 2010 and 2011 tax years.

I do have a Debit card but I received it around March 2012..This wouldn't qualify to them since it says prior 2011. Can somebody please let me know if I can show them something else proving that I live in Queens.

Thanks a lot!
    the NOE states you need to show your high school diploma and one from the list you have if you cant you might be in trouble but if i were you i would call DCAS

just out of curiosity what is your list # around

Forum Member

6019 was the first list that you had more than 1 shot at the cpat/medical. It used to be 1 time and u fail u were done.
    exam 2000
    list #2**
    score 105

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by polanco View Post
    Yea, I also wanted to know about this. I broke my ankle back in 2009 and the docs put in two screws and a plate..
    As long as u don't have any metal perturbing it is ok. They want to see the surgery report. They are getting a little tougher letting people on with previous surgery. I guess it depends what u had repaired

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Truckie 1 day View Post
    hmm... what about if you fail the heart rate on the stepmill and they make you come back and do it again in 30 days. Don't they make you walk for a longer time and if you do you pass? I passed for 6019 but a few of my buddies walked more time and passed or something. But yeah, you don't see your heart rate the instructor conducting the test does and it come on the watch monitor and on the computer also in the room which someone is monitoring. Eye requirements: I had to get lasik back then as well. the eye exam was one where you look in a thing and have to express which way a open sided letter was facing. If you couldn't make it out, which i couldn't, you had 30 days to fix it and come back and pass. the color blind part was where you saw a color with a letter or number in it of a different color. Hope this helps anyone concerned. also anyone who thinks this is too much info let me know so i can edit stuff out...
    the second time you come back you go on again for the 5:12. If you are still over at the 5:12 mark they make you stay on for a total of 8 mins. If you stay on for the full 8 mins you pass, regardless of heartrate. I even believe you get one final shot after that if you cant stay on for the full 8 mins. Train for the 8 mins just in case. 8 mins could be hard for many.

Forum Member

So let me get this straight, now you have multiple shots at pass the cpat physical and other step wtf what happend to once and done?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Depan395 View Post
    So let me get this straight, now you have multiple shots at pass the cpat physical and other step wtf what happend to once and done?
    The medical has not been one and done for a long time. There are too many things that can be corrected that is not worth failing people for after the first time. You can be nervous on the stairmaster and fail. You can not meet a weight to height requirement that can be corrected as well.

Forum Member

some one told me its possible to fail the the lung test even thou are in shape to pass everything else.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Depan395 View Post
    Actually, I do not think it was ever one and done.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by steven9d3 View Post
    the NOE states you need to show your high school diploma and one from the list you have if you cant you might be in trouble but if i were you i would call DCAS

just out of curiosity what is your list # around
    Do you know the DCAS number? They have a few on the site.. My list number is around 36XX
    I really hope that it goes well.

Just finished climbing the stairs for 30 minutes
    List # - 36XX
    Intake - N/A

Thread Information