Like Tree11254Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    Then if they see it on your insurance you are def DQed
    That's not true I had two surgeries in my shoulder when I was in the military. I didn't mention it and the doctor seen the big *** scars and said something. I just had to go back with a report from the military doctors and I was good to go. Some of you guys are going to get disqualified for being to honest. My buddy did for saying he took valume because he was scared to fly. You don't tell them any medication that u were on. You can take my advice or not. But when they say u

Forum Member

For those that are more familiar with the past hiring process ... You guys took the written then the physical then you got your list number or how exactly the process was done ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nev7248 View Post
    That's not true I had two surgeries in my shoulder when I was in the military. I didn't mention it and the doctor seen the big *** scars and said something. I just had to go back with a report from the military doctors and I was good to go. Some of you guys are going to get disqualified for being to honest. My buddy did for saying he took valume because he was scared to fly. You don't tell them any medication that u were on. You can take my advice or not. But when they say u
    so do we have to get copies of our medical records from the VA? and bring them

Forum Member

Some of you guys are going to get disqualified for being to honest. My buddy did for saying he took valume because he was scared to fly. You don't tell them any medication that u were on. You can take my advice or not.
    Wouldnt they be able to find any medications you have taken through ur insurance?
    20xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kd44 View Post
    Wouldnt they be able to find any medications you have taken through ur insurance?
    taking prescribed medication i believe is different than taking valume for flying unless maybe cause of anxiety, but if not prescribed i believe its viewed as recreational

Forum Member

It is against the law for them to try and get your previous medical records.

Forum Member

Forum Member

For one three month period my doctor prescribed me blood pressure meds. My bp was high the day I saw him (I was in for a normal check up, nothing related to bp). It was never high before then, or after. I didn't want to go on them because I know bp is something the docs would be interested in, and to be honest was kind of annoyed he prescribed them when I didn't feel like I needed them. Of course I won't freely mention this info, but if they ask about using meds for bp in my past is this something I should mention? If they can't pull my medical records how would they even find out either way?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by myles8683 View Post
    so do we have to get copies of our medical records from the VA? and bring them
    I had a copy of the surgery from when I was in the military. If u don't you are going to have to go to the va hospital and request it. I think u have to do it in person

Forum Member

thanks for the info looks like iam going to poly place soon, maybe grab a flu shot while iam there

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Dannyvale View Post
    For those that are more familiar with the past hiring process ... You guys took the written then the physical then you got your list number or how exactly the process was done ?
    Written, physical, investigation, medical, psych.... I believe that's how it was. U don't get a new list number
    Exam #2000
    #10XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MDEL210201 View Post
    Written, physical, investigation, medical, psych.... I believe that's how it was. U don't get a new list number
    Dannyvale, you are correct but after 2002 the 07 was based upon the exam only.

Also remember folks, if you clicked for 5 pts residency or 5/10 veterans and cannot prove them OR are not New York State residents when you applied for them, your list number will be reorganized after the background check and before the academy. Stay ahead of the game now.
    ffbam24 likes this.

Forum Member

i had surgery back in 2005 due to Crohns disease. Havent had one symptom since then but on medication for life.

Wondering if I have something to worry about...
    Exam: 2000
    Grade: 97
    List#: 86##
    There is hope!

Forum Member

I had PRK done back in 2011. With PRK they will use an electric tooth brush looking tool to grind off the top layer of your eyeball and then do the laser. After a while the top layer that they remove will grow back. With LASIK they will cut a flap open on the top layer and then do the laser. Then they will close the flap back onto your eye. I'm active duty in the military (Army) and the only option they gave me was PRK since I was Airborne (Parachutist). They said they could only do PRK because its safer if you do a risky job. They mentioned that if you get LASIK and get in some sort of head trauma or impact you would run into the risk of the flap opening back up. So if anyone is considering getting eye surgery I would definitely recommend getting PRK.

Forum Member

I had PRK done back in 2011. With PRK they will use an electric tooth brush looking tool to grind off the top layer of your eyeball and then do the laser. After a while the top layer that they remove will grow back. With LASIK they will cut a flap open on the top layer and then do the laser. Then they will close the flap back onto your eye. I'm active duty in the military (Army) and the only option they gave me was PRK since I was Airborne. They said they could only do PRK because its safer if you do a risky job. They mentioned that if you get LASIK and get in some sord of head trauma or impact you would run into the risk of the flap opening back up. So if anyone is considering getting eye surgery I would definitely recommend getting PRK.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by manny.pena View Post
    I had PRK done back in 2011. With PRK they will use an electric tooth brush looking tool to grind off the top layer of your eyeball and then do the laser. After a while the top layer that they remove will grow back. With LASIK they will cut a flap open on the top layer and then do the laser. Then they will close the flap back onto your eye. I'm active duty in the military (Army) and the only option they gave me was PRK since I was Airborne (Parachutist). They said they could only do PRK because its safer if you do a risky job. They mentioned that if you get LASIK and get in some sort of head trauma or impact you would run into the risk of the flap opening back up. So if anyone is considering getting eye surgery I would definitely recommend getting PRK.
    Im going for consultation this Friday and I think im going to request regualr LASIK for the recovery time difference. The recovery time for regular LASIK is 1 day while full recovery from PRK can be weeks and some real patients noted that it took them months to fully recover. I dont know about you guys but I dont live in a cave. I need my eyes to heal as soon as possible so I can get back to school, training, and everything else. Especially since I may be called for medical within a few months. So anyone trying to pick a procedure should probably keep this in mind.
    Test: 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 8XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by manny.pena View Post
    I had PRK done back in 2011. With PRK they will use an electric tooth brush looking tool to grind off the top layer of your eyeball and then do the laser. After a while the top layer that they remove will grow back. With LASIK they will cut a flap open on the top layer and then do the laser. Then they will close the flap back onto your eye. I'm active duty in the military (Army) and the only option they gave me was PRK since I was Airborne. They said they could only do PRK because its safer if you do a risky job. They mentioned that if you get LASIK and get in some sord of head trauma or impact you would run into the risk of the flap opening back up. So if anyone is considering getting eye surgery I would definitely recommend getting PRK.
    I second this. Anyone looking at surgery before the Rock should seriously think PRK. All branches of the military do PRK - none do LASIK. The recovery time for PRK is a bit longer and is more uncomfortable, but we're talking a few days here and not painful, just kind of annoying. With LASIK you walk out of the office with new-fangled vision. With PRK you'll have to be driven home and the next 3 or 4 days will be decreasingly annoying.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 103
    List # 53X

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Reverse View Post
    Dannyvale, you are correct but after 2002 the 07 was based upon the exam only.

Also remember folks, if you clicked for 5 pts residency or 5/10 veterans and cannot prove them OR are not New York State residents when you applied for them, your list number will be reorganized after the background check and before the academy. Stay ahead of the game now.
    Yes for the vet credits you have to be living in New York at time of test.

MembersZone Subscriber

It is against the law but dont you have to sign a form to release all medical records? I believe you do.
    Exam #2000
    #10XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MDEL210201 View Post
    It is against the law but dont you have to sign a form to release all medical records? I believe you do.
    I was just about to say this. I remember having to sign some papers which would allow my investigator to go through all my school, medical and police records. I for one will not lie, I told the doctor about a surgery done to my chest back in 6019 and was still cleared back then so I will say it again. I think is better to be given a chance regardless of the situation than to be caught in a lie and be DQed right away, but then again I'm not on the job and this is just my opinion while Nev is on the job and he saying otherwise so maybe you guys should listen to him.
    Last edited by Jukez; 10-24-2012 at 01:15 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes for the vet credits you have to be living in New York at time of test.
    I know you are OTJ, but I think you are wrong about having to be a resident to claim veterans/disabled veterans points. No where in the NOE or on DCAS's Rules for Civil Service Examinations does it say you must be a resident of New York. It only says that you must be a resident at time of appointment, to be eligible.
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

"But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

MembersZone Subscriber

Duplicate post
    Last edited by zachryw2001; 10-24-2012 at 01:31 PM.
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

"But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Forum Member

if you fail either the physical or medical are you done or do you get another shot at the next class? What Im saying is, if say you fail to pass the CPAT do you get thrown back into the pool of candidates and have another chance for the next class or are you done all together?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NycQ83 View Post
    if you fail either the physical or medical are you done or do you get another shot at the next class? What Im saying is, if say you fail to pass the CPAT do you get thrown back into the pool of candidates and have another chance for the next class or are you done all together?
    Between the classes they're going to offer at the Rock (haven't heard any news on it yet), the practice attempts (if you pass the 1st time then you're good to go) and the actual CPAT exam, there's no reason why anyone should fail it.
    FdnytolifeE293 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zachryw2001 View Post
    I know you are OTJ, but I think you are wrong about having to be a resident to claim veterans/disabled veterans points. No where in the NOE or on DCAS's Rules for Civil Service Examinations does it say you must be a resident of New York. It only says that you must be a resident at time of appointment, to be eligible.
    the rule was applied last time you have to live in New York State by the application period to receive the 5 points for being a vet
    ffbam24 likes this.

Thread Information