Like Tree9581Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MDEL210201 View Post
    Read through my posts.... I posted it earlier in the week
    I still find it hard to believe that if you fail the 2nd time they just make you stay on for 8 total. I had never heard that before. ****ing awesome. I've done the test on my own time and passed, but it's still one of the more stressful parts of the process. Good to know there should be a way to pass regardless of heart rate. 3 more minutes with a 50# vest is easy enough when everything hinges on it.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

I feel like the hardest part was passing the written exam. The rest of the steps are really on us. Be physically and mentally prepared when your call comes, and put everything out on the table with your investigator so you have nothing to worry about
    vekdoggs75 likes this.
    Test 2000
    List #: 57XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    I still find it hard to believe that if you fail the 2nd time they just make you stay on for 8 total. I had never heard that before. ****ing awesome. I've done the test on my own time and passed, but it's still one of the more stressful parts of the process. Good to know there should be a way to pass regardless of heart rate. 3 more minutes with a 50# vest is easy enough when everything hinges on it.
    I always tell people that is more about controlling your emotions. When you on the stair master blank everything that is going on in the room. A lot of people fail because they get nervous and their HR spikes up dramatically. Word of advice to you is try and pass it on the first try to make sure there is no hold on your process because it will only delay you 1 month and you don't know if that month could be the reason you don't get into the January class. Good luck to you regardless bro.

Forum Member

If you fail stairmaster 2x then you have to go to an outside doc (cardiologist) and have them do a workout and from what I hear very few people who have to do that have come back and been cleared by doc's at MT
    exam 2000
    list #2**
    score 105

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rcfd31 View Post
    If you fail stairmaster 2x then you have to go to an outside doc (cardiologist) and have them do a workout and from what I hear very few people who have to do that have come back and been cleared by doc's at MT
    that should have been work up not workout
    exam 2000
    list #2**
    score 105

Forum Member

If anyone wants to buy a vest, I found a very nice 80 pound vest on amazon.com for $200 including shipping. The brand is ZFO Sports.
    Last edited by FDNY2000; 10-26-2012 at 08:21 AM.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 99
    List: 36XX

It's all heart.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yup yup!!! Lol
    Exam #2000
    #10XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by knicksh2o View Post
    This is nothing from my personal knowledge but someone earliet in this thread mentioned that many vets are still on reserve duty or something like that. I'm not too familiar with how this works. I know a buddy of mine is a marine and he is back but has 2 years of reserve duty so in theory if he took the exam, which this idiot didn't, he won't be eligible to enter the academy for 2 years.
    I very well could be wrong so please don't quote me

If you are on reserve duty, you can be hired just like any other veteran. All the reservist would have to do would be to notify his command that he would be in the fire academy and they would make a decision to exempt him from deployment if that was the case. He/she would still be expected to show up during drill weekends because the schedule would not conflict.

The caveat to this and how veteran hiring can adversely affect people on the upper parts of OC eligibles is when some of the active duty people come off of active duty. If you are on active duty and your list number is called, the city has to legally hold a spot for you. This means they will be hired at a later date and this may bump someone who would have otherwise been hired.

I am a Marine veteran, so I am quite confident this is 100% accurate. My brother is also on the job and his academy date was initially in 2005 but he was instructed to contact his investigator when he was approaching the end of his contract. He did and was in the next academy class following his discharge in 2007.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 99
    List: 36XX

It's all heart.

Forum Member

If I may offer my insight on the holding your breath to lower your heart rate. I can't remember who posted it but from a medical and anatomical stand point, I don't think this works. Simply put, your heart's job is to pump oxygen rich blood to the rest of your body. If your heart rate is up, it's because the rest of your body is telling your brain that it's not getting enough oxygen. Cutting off oxygen supply by holding your breath seems counter-productive.
    Instead, I might suggest proper diaphragmatic breathing. Think of it as blowing up a balloon in your stomach rather than your chest. Singers do this but a lot of athletes overlook it because chest breathing is what we do all day so naturally it's easier to do when exercising. Try it though. A little uncomfortable at first but once you get used to it, the technique is so much more efficient for the heart and muscles.
    SkylinePCG likes this.
    Test: 2000
    Score: 98
    List Number: 60**

Forum Member

Shew. Guys are already ordering shirts? I swear some people are in public safety for the fashion and tattoos...
    vekdoggs75 and mocon337 like this.
    Score: 98
    List Number: 60**

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYPD View Post
    If I may offer my insight on the holding your breath to lower your heart rate. I can't remember who posted it but from a medical and anatomical stand point, I don't think this works. Simply put, your heart's job is to pump oxygen rich blood to the rest of your body. If your heart rate is up, it's because the rest of your body is telling your brain that it's not getting enough oxygen. Cutting off oxygen supply by holding your breath seems counter-productive.
    Instead, I might suggest proper diaphragmatic breathing. Think of it as blowing up a balloon in your stomach rather than your chest. Singers do this but a lot of athletes overlook it because chest breathing is what we do all day so naturally it's easier to do when exercising. Try it though. A little uncomfortable at first but once you get used to it, the technique is so much more efficient for the heart and muscles.
    The technique is not just holding your breath... You hold your breath, squeeze your stomach like you were pushing to take a crap. You do this almost when your 5:12 are almost up. It does work you just need to practice it and do it right. Just make sure you don't have to go to the bathroom during it because not only are you going to pass the stair master but you will leave YOUR mark on it for the next guy up! Lol
    Last edited by Jukez; 10-26-2012 at 08:56 AM.
    FDNYPD and Dannyvale like this.

Forum Member

Double post.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYPD View Post
    I actually stated that controlling your breathing is whats most important and I did mention that I held my breath. I didn't tell anybody else to do it that's just what i did.

Now, on breathing from your diaphragm, that's a great point, which I never thought to mention because its second nature to me. You must learn how to breathe from your diaphragm and it's not as easy as some may think. Also breathing through your nose is vital.

But on the topic of holding your breath, just do a quick search. This actually forces your heart to hold the oxygen you already have in you, slowing the heart as it tries to use oxygen as efficiently as possible. Doesn't sound like it would be good to do this for long periods of time, but for a 5 min test where your future is based on your heart rate, it helps.
    Last edited by GIMMEFIRE600; 10-26-2012 at 09:00 AM.
    FDNYPD likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dannyvale View Post
    I don't want to go in debate ... But I like to ask and I want to fill my self with all the information I can to know what's going and why and who etc etc .... You mentioned more people want to be a ff than a cop. Maybe true or not but you got more people taking the pd test ... Ff test is only offer every 4 yrs and this is the first time the numbers go as high as 40,000+ and I have yet met someone in person tell me I want this job I loved to be a ff ... All I have gotten was .. "I just wAnt to drive the truck" "I just want to watch tv and get paid for it " "what about if I don't want to go inside the burning building" <----- I those people are ahead of me I really hope they fail someone where in the process
    I really don't want to beat a dead horse on this one, but just take a look at the NYPD Recruit FB page. It will tell you all you need to know about how hard the NYPD must recruit to get people to even take the exam. Sounds silly, but its telling that their page has less than half of the likes as the FDNY page and also the fact that they travel across the country administering exams at colleges and army bases etc. All of this while having the ability to have a significantly larger applicant pool due to their age limit being 35.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY2000 View Post
    If you are on reserve duty, you can be hired just like any other veteran. All the reservist would have to do would be to notify his command that he would be in the fire academy and they would make a decision to exempt him from deployment if that was the case. He/she would still be expected to show up during drill weekends because the schedule would not conflict.

The caveat to this and how veteran hiring can adversely affect people on the upper parts of OC eligibles is when some of the active duty people come off of active duty. If you are on active duty and your list number is called, the city has to legally hold a spot for you. This means they will be hired at a later date and this may bump someone who would have otherwise been hired.

I am a Marine veteran, so I am quite confident this is 100% accurate. My brother is also on the job and his academy date was initially in 2005 but he was instructed to conact his investigator when he was approaching the end of his contract. He did and was in the next academy class following his discharge in 2007.
    Thabnk you for clearing that up.
    Score: 102
    List: 8XX

Forum Member

Thanks I3akdraf for answering my question.
    List: 11xx
    Intake Interview: Oct 29th
    CPAT: Nov 9th
    Psych: Jan 25th
    Medical: Jan28th
    Run Date: June 25th

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY2000 View Post
    If anyone wants to buy a vest, I found a very nice 80 pound vest on amazon.com for $200 including shipping. The brand is ZFO Sports.

I used that one and its very good. I got it for 160 shipped on ebay.
    List: 11xx
    Intake Interview: Oct 29th
    CPAT: Nov 9th
    Psych: Jan 25th
    Medical: Jan28th
    Run Date: June 25th

Forum Member

if you guys are buying your weighted vests from amazon, check out how much the shipping costs. It's $79 for one year of Amazon Prime (free 2 day shipping, plus other perks). If the difference in prices is minimal, and you use Amazon often it may be worth it to pick up Amazon Prime before making the purchase.

Forum Member

Wait....we get t shirts and tattoos? Sweet deal....
    FDNYPD likes this.

Forum Member

I bought mine on eBay. Free shipping and it was the 60 pound one but I could of sworn that I paid for the 70 pound...
    List # - 36XX
    Intake - N/A

Forum Member

Question for the CrossFit guys on here. I'm in pretty decent shape but have never done Crossfit, I've heard great things, but also hear about some pretty intense injuries. Would it be a mistake to start CrossFit now, or is the risk of injury really overblown (or least not much worse then other workouts.) Also, SouthBrooklyn CrossFit is the location near me are any of you familiar with that one? It seems to get some solid reviews.

Thanks.
    Exam 2000
    Score 101
    List # 15**

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rpyrcz View Post
    question for the crossfit guys on here. I'm in pretty decent shape but have never done crossfit, i've heard great things, but also hear about some pretty intense injuries. Would it be a mistake to start crossfit now, or is the risk of injury really overblown (or least not much worse then other workouts.) also, southbrooklyn crossfit is the location near me are any of you familiar with that one? It seems to get some solid reviews.

Thanks.
    do it. Today.

Forum Member

Ah, I realized I asked a question that has been beat to death here but I can't figure out how to just delete the post. Many Apologizes for being that guy. For Future reference I'll try to avoid looking stupid since my Username is actually my name. haha.

Thanks all,

Ray
    Exam 2000
    Score 101
    List # 15**

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    do it. Today.
    Thanks man. I think I'll stop by afterwork.

-Ray
    Exam 2000
    Score 101
    List # 15**

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    do it. Today.
    Thanks man. I think I'll stop by afterwork.

-Ray
    Exam 2000
    Score 101
    List # 15**

Thread Information