Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 198 of 1193 FirstFirst ... 98148188195196197198199200201208248298698 ... LastLast
Results 3,941 to 3,960 of 23841
Like Tree9325Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

  1. #3941
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    every two years....that one literally made me laugh out loud.
    Why is that crazy? the NYPD exam is literally given there exam for anyone to take every single month out of the year! Instead of going down 15-20% of list every 4-5 years go down 5-10% of the list every 2 years. More applicants will be able to the take the test thus, statistically speaking,the "crème de la crème" will have a chance at getting in.


    Also GIMMEFIRE600

    I think a competitive physical would have been awesome. We have then in the military and it actual helps to separate the guys who take their careers seriously from the ones that don't. The squared-away guys actual put in the time to stay in shape. Also, you do need men with above average strength and endurance levels to do this job so it would be a very applicable addition to the exam.


  2. #3942
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    42

    Default

    You know what seems wrong to me. The fact that if your in the national guard and haven't deployed, you can't claim vet preference. Plenty of guys sacrifice a lot even in the National Guard and to deny them the credit because their number hasn't been called yet is total horse sh$&. We are all vets reguardless of we've gone to war or not. We have all passed the tests and showed that we have what it takes.

  3. #3943
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    Your comment advocating a competitive physical and fdnytolife's comment in favor of giving the test every two years isn't enough proof?

    Or did you really want to know how I knew what your opinion would be?
    I took psychology in college... LOL
    I was pointing out that you are making assumptions. Not every one flip flops. I did not, so please don't put words in my mouth.

  4. #3944
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    792

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    Maybe it should be every 2 weeks, until you like your list #. Then that list can be used for 20 years. If we're discussing how guys on the job feel about our process:

    What's the difference between a watered down physical and someone doing poorly, or not as well as they'd have liked on what guys OTJ consider a watered down written?

    It's a little rough reading comment after comment on here hoping other people fail out of the process. I understand if you're on this forum you want this job bad, but when you start wishing someone elses dream falls through, it just doesn't sound right.
    I agree - I feel for the guys who didn't do well on the exam, especially those that did well on 6019. Unfortunately we were all given the same test and knew the CPAT was the one being given for the physical portion of the hiring process. I think everyone should stop bickering about this exam at this point, and start rallying around the fact that there is still a chance of 293 priority hires still laying in limbo here.

  5. #3945
    Forum Member FdnytolifeE293's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!
    Posts
    378

    Default

    First off, don't involve me in this bs Convo. The only reason I said that in rant was because it would be really nice to let some of the 6019ers try again. I'm sure they would agree too or if not At the least extend the age limit. Now don't get cocky with your score/list number, there are many unknowns in this whole process and then again the academy ALWAYS keep that in mind buddy. Just because you took psychology in college donesnt Make you any better than anyone on this list. If your so good at being a psyc then go become one. Plus they make more money.
    Dannyvale likes this.
    Test 2000
    Score 97
    List#700X
    Do I stand a chance?

    I will not tire, I will not falter, and I will not fail!!!

  6. #3946
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IronFireE5 View Post
    Why is that crazy? the NYPD exam is literally given there exam for anyone to take every single month out of the year! Instead of going down 15-20% of list every 4-5 years go down 5-10% of the list every 2 years. More applicants will be able to the take the test thus, statistically speaking,the "crème de la crème" will have a chance at getting in.


    Also GIMMEFIRE600

    I think a competitive physical would have been awesome. We have then in the military and it actual helps to separate the guys who take their careers seriously from the ones that don't. The squared-away guys actual put in the time to stay in shape. Also, you do need men with above average strength and endurance levels to do this job so it would be a very applicable addition to the exam.
    You can't compare an agency that hires thousands at a time and just built another academy to fit their needs to an agency that hires 600 a year.

    Also I said graded physical would be great but you can only play with the cards you're dealt.

  7. #3947
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    I agree - I feel for the guys who didn't do well on the exam, especially those that did well on 6019. Unfortunately we were all given the same test and knew the CPAT was the one being given for the physical portion of the hiring process. I think everyone should stop bickering about this exam at this point, and start rallying around the fact that there is still a chance of 293 priority hires still laying in limbo here.

    to see some of the guys who did well on 6019, do so poorly on this one was rough. They got such a raw deal, and they're handling it a lot better than I would. It leaves you with a really bad feeling. I think we can all relate to how you'd feel if you found out the dream was over.

  8. #3948
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IronFireE5 View Post
    Why is that crazy? the NYPD exam is literally given there exam for anyone to take every single month out of the year! Instead of going down 15-20% of list every 4-5 years go down 5-10% of the list every 2 years. More applicants will be able to the take the test thus, statistically speaking,the "crème de la crème" will have a chance at getting in..
    It's crazy because when someone suggests the dept changes their ways with an ulterior motive, what else can you do but laugh?
    GIMMEFIRE600 likes this.

  9. #3949
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    8

    Default

    That's cool... how many years you'll have on when they call you, I'll probably have around 7 but I thinks its worth it

  10. #3950
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    835

    Default

    Did I log into the firehouse forums or "The View" forums for F's sake?

  11. #3951
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    Did I log into the firehouse forums or "The View" forums for F's sake?
    LMAO Point taken.

  12. #3952
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    3

    Default

    First off im fairly new to the thread so I apologize if I ask something thats already been answered previously.

    I scored a 103, List #6XX and feel like i have have a pretty goood chance of making it into the first class. My question is when do most people anticipate the first class will start to take shape? Im slated to start college in January and am wondering whether I'll have my 15 credits by the time I'm called upon.

  13. #3953
    Forum Member FdnytolifeE293's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!
    Posts
    378

    Default

    1324 Forest Avenue
    Suite 102
    Staten Island, NY 10302
    meritmatters@gmail.com
    http://meritmattersusa.blogspot.com
    ______________________________ ______________________________ _________

    October 8, 2012



    Well, whaddya know!

    Based on his score, the nephew of Judge Nicholas Garaufis was probably not going to be hired from the last FDNY hiring list, but he now has a very good list number resulting from a test crafted at the Judge’s direction and approved by him.

    How about that?

    To be sure, our quarrel is not with the nephew. That said, we cannot ignore the fact that a family member is a direct beneficiary of this Judge’s rulings – a reason our lawyers Sullivan and Galleshaw cited in their amicus brief as a basis why the judge should have recused himself and should now be removed from the case if the appeal is successful. This development – especially when so many innocent people have had their lives unfairly impacted by this lawsuit and the decisions of Nicholas Garaufis – cannot be ignored.

    Here are the facts: Michael G. Garaufis Jr. was number 6953 on List #6019, which resulted from the January 2007 test. The last numbers reached (approximately) on the two previous tests – the tests originally the focus of the lawsuit – are below:

    Test 7029 (given 1999) – List number 6200

    Test 2043 (given 2002) – List number 5656

    The last number reached on List 6019 (2007) was only 886 because further hiring from this list was blocked by Judge Garaufis. As stated in the Merit Matters Amicus Curiae brief filed in January 2012, “…the nephew is a direct beneficiary of the judicial decision to preclude the use of hiring in rank order from exam #6019 to fill vacancies, as such an effectual discarding of that tests list means another bite at the apple, with the opportunity of scoring higher on a future exam”.

    During a conference on June 5, 2007 the judge advised the city that his nephew had taken test #6019 at a time when test #6019 was NOT a part of this lawsuit. Curiously, and in a poorly advised decision, the city indicated that this was not a problem. Well, very shortly thereafter it became an apparent problem when the Judge on his own sought to incorporate 6019 into the lawsuit. 6019 plays a significant role in this litigation – just ask the numerous Candidates who were scheduled to go into the next Academy class, or were higher on the list than Michael Garaufis, and who now will not be hired because the most recent test gave equal weight to questions that tested for knowledge and those that asked opinions (and be advised – we will be issuing a commentary on the most recent test very soon).

    What does the law say with regards to judicial recusal? Glad you asked. The U.S. Code (28 U.S.C. Section 455) states:

    Any justice, judge, or magistrate judge of the United States shall disqualify himself in any proceeding in which his impartiality might reasonably be questioned.

    He shall also disqualify himself in the following circumstances:
    He or his spouse, or a person within the third degree of relationship to either of them, or the spouse of such a person…is known by the judge to have an interest that could be substantially affected by the outcome of the proceeding.

    Yes, a nephew is within the third degree of relationship according to this law.

    Empathy is another word for bias, and a judge is not supposed to have a bias. Did empathy for his nephew, who lives nearby, play a role in Garaufis’ decisions? A New York Times article out today seems to indicate empathy may be playing too large a role, in that when he was assigned the FDNY case he asked a black judge, “How does it feel to be a black person in society?”.

    One of the firefighters speaking last week during the Fairness Hearing asked him if he was driven by “inner guilt”, and now, in that same Times article, we learn he vigorously opposed integration of his local school district in the 1970s and was called a racist by black parents. Is guilt and bias driving Nicholas Garaufis?

    Paul Mannix
    President
    Merit Matters













    Read more: http://fdnyrant.proboards.com/index....#ixzz28jxhBbLh
    Test 2000
    Score 97
    List#700X
    Do I stand a chance?

    I will not tire, I will not falter, and I will not fail!!!

  14. #3954
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IronFireE5 View Post
    Why is that crazy? the NYPD exam is literally given there exam for anyone to take every single month out of the year! Instead of going down 15-20% of list every 4-5 years go down 5-10% of the list every 2 years. More applicants will be able to the take the test thus, statistically speaking,the "crème de la crème" will have a chance at getting in.

    NYPD gives exam all the time because only ten percent of applicants make it thru due to strict background checks and psychs they also are 3x the size and academy classes Are much larger also every person who passes the exam will be called eventually regardless of list no as they also process multiple exams at a time the older one is never thrown out until 5 years

    Also GIMMEFIRE600

    I think a competitive physical would have been awesome. We have then in the military and it actual helps to separate the guys who take their careers seriously from the ones that don't. The squared-away guys actual put in the time to stay in shape. Also, you do need men with above average strength and endurance levels to do this job so it would be a very applicable addition to the exam.
    So not necessarily creme de le creme but cleanest records and not based on exam success or physical fitness

  15. #3955
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FdnytolifeE293 View Post
    First off, don't involve me in this bs Convo. The only reason I said that in rant was because it would be really nice to let some of the 6019ers try again. I'm sure they would agree too or if not At the least extend the age limit. Now don't get cocky with your score/list number, there are many unknowns in this whole process and then again the academy ALWAYS keep that in mind buddy. Just because you took psychology in college donesnt Make you any better than anyone on this list. If your so good at being a psyc then go become one. Plus they make more money.
    Quote Originally Posted by FDNYorDIETRYIN View Post
    Btw to those who are in the October class, I'm hearing a rumor that the promo exam to fire is going to be offered every 4 years instead of 2 now. If anyone remembers to ask; possibly during orientation, I'd appreciate it and I'm pretty sure everyone else looking to move up would as well.
    This speaks for itself.

    Also, unrelated: They went with the CPAT for a reason, and they aren't going back to a competitive physical.

  16. #3956
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDNY_HOPEFUL View Post
    First off im fairly new to the thread so I apologize if I ask something thats already been answered previously.

    I scored a 103, List #6XX and feel like i have have a pretty goood chance of making it into the first class. My question is when do most people anticipate the first class will start to take shape? Im slated to start college in January and am wondering whether I'll have my 15 credits by the time I'm called upon.
    First class is anticipated to start in January and it will be exclusively for the promotional guys given the numbers I've seen but

    Read the NOE, you don't need 15 credits

    HOW TO QUALIFY FOR APPOINTMENT:
    Education and Experience Requirements: By the date of appointment, you must have a four-year high school
    diploma or its educational equivalent, and:
    1. 15 college semester credits earned as a result of satisfactory completion of course work at a college or university
    accredited by an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education and the Council for Higher
    Education Accreditation (“CHEA”); or
    2. full-time U.S. military service with an honorable discharge; or
    3. 6 months of full-time, satisfactory paid work experience.
    You don't have 6 months of full time, paid work exp?

  17. #3957
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Queens, New York
    Posts
    2

    Default

    whats up guys...this is my first post. I took exam 2000 and scored a 99, my list # is 34xx so i am hoping to expect a call hopefully within the next few years. I was wondering if anybody knows if they give a colorblind test as part of the eye exam. I have 20/20 vision, but am red-green color blind, so i am a little nervous.

  18. #3958
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    792

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FdnytolifeE293 View Post
    1324 Forest Avenue
    Suite 102
    Staten Island, NY 10302
    meritmatters@gmail.com
    http://meritmattersusa.blogspot.com
    ______________________________ ______________________________ _________

    October 8, 2012



    Well, whaddya know!

    Based on his score, the nephew of Judge Nicholas Garaufis was probably not going to be hired from the last FDNY hiring list, but he now has a very good list number resulting from a test crafted at the Judge’s direction and approved by him.

    How about that?

    To be sure, our quarrel is not with the nephew. That said, we cannot ignore the fact that a family member is a direct beneficiary of this Judge’s rulings – a reason our lawyers Sullivan and Galleshaw cited in their amicus brief as a basis why the judge should have recused himself and should now be removed from the case if the appeal is successful. This development – especially when so many innocent people have had their lives unfairly impacted by this lawsuit and the decisions of Nicholas Garaufis – cannot be ignored.

    Here are the facts: Michael G. Garaufis Jr. was number 6953 on List #6019, which resulted from the January 2007 test. The last numbers reached (approximately) on the two previous tests – the tests originally the focus of the lawsuit – are below:

    Test 7029 (given 1999) – List number 6200

    Test 2043 (given 2002) – List number 5656

    The last number reached on List 6019 (2007) was only 886 because further hiring from this list was blocked by Judge Garaufis. As stated in the Merit Matters Amicus Curiae brief filed in January 2012, “…the nephew is a direct beneficiary of the judicial decision to preclude the use of hiring in rank order from exam #6019 to fill vacancies, as such an effectual discarding of that tests list means another bite at the apple, with the opportunity of scoring higher on a future exam”.

    During a conference on June 5, 2007 the judge advised the city that his nephew had taken test #6019 at a time when test #6019 was NOT a part of this lawsuit. Curiously, and in a poorly advised decision, the city indicated that this was not a problem. Well, very shortly thereafter it became an apparent problem when the Judge on his own sought to incorporate 6019 into the lawsuit. 6019 plays a significant role in this litigation – just ask the numerous Candidates who were scheduled to go into the next Academy class, or were higher on the list than Michael Garaufis, and who now will not be hired because the most recent test gave equal weight to questions that tested for knowledge and those that asked opinions (and be advised – we will be issuing a commentary on the most recent test very soon).

    What does the law say with regards to judicial recusal? Glad you asked. The U.S. Code (28 U.S.C. Section 455) states:

    Any justice, judge, or magistrate judge of the United States shall disqualify himself in any proceeding in which his impartiality might reasonably be questioned.

    He shall also disqualify himself in the following circumstances:
    He or his spouse, or a person within the third degree of relationship to either of them, or the spouse of such a person…is known by the judge to have an interest that could be substantially affected by the outcome of the proceeding.

    Yes, a nephew is within the third degree of relationship according to this law.

    Empathy is another word for bias, and a judge is not supposed to have a bias. Did empathy for his nephew, who lives nearby, play a role in Garaufis’ decisions? A New York Times article out today seems to indicate empathy may be playing too large a role, in that when he was assigned the FDNY case he asked a black judge, “How does it feel to be a black person in society?”.

    One of the firefighters speaking last week during the Fairness Hearing asked him if he was driven by “inner guilt”, and now, in that same Times article, we learn he vigorously opposed integration of his local school district in the 1970s and was called a racist by black parents. Is guilt and bias driving Nicholas Garaufis?

    Paul Mannix
    President
    Merit Matters













    Read more: http://fdnyrant.proboards.com/index....#ixzz28jxhBbLh
    HOLY **** - I saw that name on there, and didnt want to bring it up in case the guy had no relation to the judge. This should be FRONT PAGE of every paper now.

  19. #3959
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    HOLY **** - I saw that name on there, and didnt want to bring it up in case the guy had no relation to the judge. This should be FRONT PAGE of every paper now.
    Too bad my uncle was a firefighter and not a Federal Judge or he could get the exam that I bombed out on thrown away in favor of the one that I did well on. This is justice?

  20. #3960
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    792

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bellestoria View Post
    Too bad my uncle was a firefighter and not a Federal Judge or he could get the exam that I bombed out on thrown away in favor of the one that I did well on. This is justice?
    The City Law Dept are a bunch of morons for letting this go in the first place. Talk about a "Hook-up" right? Isn't that the same thing this guy blasted from his almighty bench?

    The craziest **** is that there's a chance this little clown is in the same class as me down the road.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 26 users browsing this thread. (6 members and 20 guests)

  1. antmdog,
  2. bk60191983,
  3. Blinkster,
  4. Matador611,
  5. MuscleHamster,
  6. SI91

Similar Threads

  1. FDNY Medical Exam
    By FDNY78 in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-13-2014, 08:46 PM
  2. Remember The Brothers 9-11-01
    By E40FDNYL35 in forum The 9-11 Tragedy
    Replies: 127
    Last Post: 09-12-2013, 04:08 AM
  3. Fdny exam
    By ffkisselstein in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 12:43 PM
  4. Firefighters Betrayed
    By Nail200 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 259
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 03:11 PM
  5. No Firefighter Should Ever Die Again
    By blancety in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 280
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 11:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts