Like Tree9519Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

  1. #5001
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by knicksh2o View Post
    I can't believe FDNY didn't prepare better for this by allowing some OC guys to go into the first class. A 220 January class is ridiculous considering they are understaffed by 650 and there are 8k qualified individuals ready to take those spots. Why didn't they get the ball rolling on the first few 100 OCs? It's ****ing retarded. Now I'm probably going to give my spot in the second class to some ems ******* who's only reason for becoming a medic is to sneak in the backdoor of the FDNY. Probably walking around with a 75 exam score too... Smh
    Those 8k "qualified individuals" are just people who have not yet done anything (myself included) except take a ridiculous written exam. Those EMS ***** you are denigrating have been working in the city saving lives for more than 2 years. Perhaps they deserve a little more respect than you are showing.

    FDNY did not start processing any of the OC list in time for the class because the Dept was waiting on the Judge to clear the exam. EMS was a different story, which is why they go first. All things in good time.
    MDEL210201 likes this.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 103
    List # 53X

  2. #5002
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    862

    Default

    Also knicksh2o, settle down fella. You have no idea what it means to have been waiting for this job. Many of us on here have been waiting since '06.
    sffdnyhopeful09 and fc6019 like this.

  3. #5003
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nev7248 View Post
    First of all everyone on the ems promotional is eligible for promotion and none of them took there phyisical yet. I'm pretty sure there going to get a full class. Also don't be mad because they were smart enough to do ems and wait for the test. They deserve it more than anyone else on this whole list. Getting paid **** money for what they do. And trust me I wasn't ems
    No you are wrong. Not everyone from that list is UP for promotion. A lot of these people have not reached their 2 years yet.

  4. #5004
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    129

    Default

    Well I personally know an EMS guy whose been OTJ for 6 months and the ONLY reason he became an EMS is to get into the FDNY. He got a horrible score on the test and his list number is in the 700's on the 2500 exam.

    And trust me, im not going to lose any sleep from it with a 800 list but there are plenty of guys who had no extra points and got a 96 on the 2000 exam and will unfortunetly not get in while EMS guys who "slaved" for 6 months will be on with a 75 test score.

    I have no problem putting the EMS guys on for promotion but i just feel like they are getting way too much priority. My advice: either up the eligible promo year to 3 or 4, or just let them take the same exact test as us and give them ten extra points. I wonder how many of those 870 ems dudes will still be relevant

    EDIT: and one more thing.. Somebody mentioned that ems slave for **** money? You see the economy we are in? Everyone who has taken this test makes **** money.. I make **** money, you make **** money, and the guy with a 96 who works at mcdonalds makes **** money too.. cry me a river with all this sensitivity towards medics
    Last edited by knicksh2o; 10-28-2012 at 12:23 AM.
    MIDWESTRECRUIT likes this.
    Test: 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 8XX

  5. #5005
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    96

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by knicksh2o View Post
    Well I personally know an EMS guy whose been OTJ for 6 months and the ONLY reason he became an EMS is to get into the FDNY. He got a horrible score on the test and his list number is in the 700's on the 2500 exam.

    And trust me, im not going to lose any sleep from it with a 800 list but there are plenty of guys who had no extra points and got a 96 on the 2000 exam and will unfortunetly not get in while EMS guys who "slaved" for 6 months will be on with a 75 test score.

    I have no problem putting the EMS guys on for promotion but i just feel like they are getting way too much priority. My advice: either up the eligible promo year to 3 or 4, or just let them take the same exact test as us and give them ten extra points. I wonder how many of those 870 ems dudes will still be relevant

    EDIT: and one more thing.. Somebody mentioned that ems slave for **** money? You see the economy we are in? Everyone who has taken this test makes **** money.. I make **** money, you make **** money, and the guy with a 96 who works at mcdonalds makes **** money too.. cry me a river with all this sensitivity towards medics
    You really have no clue what your talking about if you read this rant you would have seen that many people have families and would be taking a huge pay cut because they want this job not because of the pay check If you took this test because if a paycheck then you should be embarrassed and so paramedics and emt don't deserve to go ahead of you when they spent their own money to become certified as an emt or medic and if you didn't know to become a emt it's a six month course and a medic is a year and a half with 500 hours of clinic time and if your an fdny emt or medic you are taking a huge pay cut from what you could be earning else where. These people took steps to better there life or to follow their dream

    All i want to do in life is to work for the fdny that's why I took my emt course and on currently on the emt list. If I don't get called off this list ill go to ems

    also your friend has to have more then six months because he had to be on the job before he applied to the promotional exam

    Why do you deserve this job more then the emts and paramedics?
    Last edited by steven9d3; 10-28-2012 at 12:56 AM.

  6. #5006
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by knicksh2o View Post
    Well I personally know an EMS guy whose been OTJ for 6 months and the ONLY reason he became an EMS is to get into the FDNY. He got a horrible score on the test and his list number is in the 700's on the 2500 exam.

    And trust me, im not going to lose any sleep from it with a 800 list but there are plenty of guys who had no extra points and got a 96 on the 2000 exam and will unfortunetly not get in while EMS guys who "slaved" for 6 months will be on with a 75 test score.

    I have no problem putting the EMS guys on for promotion but i just feel like they are getting way too much priority. My advice: either up the eligible promo year to 3 or 4, or just let them take the same exact test as us and give them ten extra points. I wonder how many of those 870 ems dudes will still be relevant

    EDIT: and one more thing.. Somebody mentioned that ems slave for **** money? You see the economy we are in? Everyone who has taken this test makes **** money.. I make **** money, you make **** money, and the guy with a 96 who works at mcdonalds makes **** money too.. cry me a river with all this sensitivity towards medics
    Just like not everyone in the list really want this job .. Not everyone that took the test make ****ty money .. I make pretty good money that if I get this job ill be taking about half pay cut .. But that's my problem this is what I want to do .... I really hope those that don't deserve or really want the job don't make it
    Ladders 4, knicksh2o and steven9d3 like this.

  7. #5007
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dannyvale View Post
    Just like not everyone in the list really want this job .. Not everyone that took the test make ****ty money .. I make pretty good money that if I get this job ill be taking about half pay cut .. But that's my problem this is what I want to do .... I really hope those that don't deserve or really want the job don't make it
    I hope so too. And trust me I really want this job as well. I have a Masters degree and im practically shredding that diploma for this job!
    Dannyvale likes this.
    Test: 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 8XX

  8. #5008
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,078

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steven9d3 View Post
    That's not true The guys with the least time on the promotional exam complete there 2 year requirement this summer
    That is incorrect. There will be at least a few who won't be eligible for promotion until January/February 2014.

    Quote Originally Posted by knicksh2o View Post
    I can't believe FDNY didn't prepare better for this by allowing some OC guys to go into the first class. A 220 January class is ridiculous considering they are understaffed by 650 and there are 8k qualified individuals ready to take those spots. Why didn't they get the ball rolling on the first few 100 OCs? It's ****ing retarded. Now I'm probably going to give my spot in the second class to some ems ******* who's only reason for becoming a medic is to sneak in the backdoor of the FDNY. Probably walking around with a 75 exam score too... Smh
    The department started canvasing from the EMS list because they were able to do so before they even had approval from the judge to do anything. Their goal is to get the process kick started ASAP and get people in the field ASAP. They couldn't do that with the OC list because they had to wait for the judge there. The EMS list contains just about the right amount of people to canvas the entire list to process for 1 class. The fact that they've run into trouble in that they may have underestimated how many guys were actually aged out and how many don't have the time in title is regrettable, but unless you have a source that you aren't sharing, nobody is quite sure yet whether or not the EMS class will be under headcount. Now, it's worth noting that I bet the city will hold off on 'establishing' the OC list if possible, until right before June, so that the 4 year window for the list is not wasted, thus hopefully giving you guys at the bottom some advantage.

    Something to consider is the fact that if the # of EMS candidates who are not too old, have 2 years on, pass the CPAT, and pass the medical is too low the department could very well canvas off the OC to fill the rest of the spots, and push the class back a few months to make sure they get a full class. It's hard to say at this point what they'll do, though I think within a 4-6 weeks we'll have a clearer picture, since most will have gone through the CPAT and medicals.

    Quote Originally Posted by knicksh2o View Post
    Well I personally know an EMS guy whose been OTJ for 6 months and the ONLY reason he became an EMS is to get into the FDNY. He got a horrible score on the test and his list number is in the 700's on the 2500 exam.

    And trust me, im not going to lose any sleep from it with a 800 list but there are plenty of guys who had no extra points and got a 96 on the 2000 exam and will unfortunetly not get in while EMS guys who "slaved" for 6 months will be on with a 75 test score.

    I have no problem putting the EMS guys on for promotion but i just feel like they are getting way too much priority. My advice: either up the eligible promo year to 3 or 4, or just let them take the same exact test as us and give them ten extra points. I wonder how many of those 870 ems dudes will still be relevant
    Now for your awesome attitude. Was the EMS promotion a secret to you before this? Probably not. So shut the **** up about it. It's been this way for what? Over 10 years right? Did your friend really get on 6 months ago in the TOP class that started in mid April? Because if so they should not be eligible to be on 2500, since they were not a civil service EMS employee as of the first day of testing. Even if your friend is eligible to be on 2500 they ain't getting promoted with 6 months OTJ. FDNY, and more importantly DCAS and the court monitors will see to it that every person promoted or hired fits the bill. That means your friend isn't going into an academy class until they have at least 2 years on the job, and I imagine when that time comes they will have to be retested on the medical/cpat, and have the potential to not make the cut.

    Civil service law would most likely make it impossible to do some sort of special point system for EMS employees instead of a promotional exam. And why would they? The department likes the promotion. It is slowly filling the ranks of Fire with people amenable to doing EMS runs, it's a great way for the sons of guys OTJ to get on, and it generally produces diverse classes (always a consideration). Increasing the time required before being eligible to promote is also laughable considering as it stands right now, you have to have more time on the job to get promoted from EMT/medic to firefighter, than to go from medic to EMS Lieutenant. And while you want to find fault in the idea that many on the list have too little time, the reverse is most likely true. There are many on the list who have been around for 4-5+ years, guys who also got screwed when 6019 was thrown out.

    As I said before, the best thing you guys can hope for, if they don't try to do a rush job and backfill this January class with OC candidates, is that they don't establish #2000 until June, when they actually prepare to use it. If that holds true than in a sense you should look at the January class as if it doesn't even exist. I think the main reason that this test is being treated differently is because of just how many more people are on the promotional list, which I'm sure has to do with the fact that 6019 basically didn't happen, and so there are just so many more people waiting to get their chance. After this class that will knock out most of the candidates it'll go back to the normal flow, which will be some small amount (probably less than 50) per class, until the entire list has been exhausted.

    Lastly, while this has been said 5000 times by as many people on here, if you are young enough that you won't be too old for the next test and this is really what you want to do you should already be in an EMT class so that when the time comes you will be able to file for the next exam as an EMS employee on the promotion side of things, it's the only sure fire way to get canvased. I've read plenty of ****ty things written by people both on and off the job about "backdooring it", but at the end of the day every person OTJ I've ever spoken to about it says it's what they'd tell their son/daughter/friend/whoever to do, and that what really counts is your attitude in the academy and in the firehouse. Many have even said they prefer former EMTs/paramedics because they've come to accept CFR runs as a part of their job. AND god forbid a firefighter is in distress on a job, the former EMT/medic is likely going to have a better ability to help their brother.

    In summary, quit it with the bitching. EMS isn't going anywhere.
    Last edited by Manhattan Medic; 10-28-2012 at 02:47 AM.
    SkylinePCG likes this.

  9. #5009
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,241

    Default

    Knicksh, Please stop arguing with people about EMS. Wether you think they deserve it or not is not important, Its going to happen either way and no one cares. No offense bro, but you have a good number stop complaining, its hard to read through the OLD arguments when all I want is real info.
    Please EMS people, he does not speak for all of us, please stop arguing with him, we value what you have to say on this thread

    On a side note, How many total people are there on 2500, is it 800ish or did I totally make that up in my head?

    4 years is a long time and I bet 2 years from now a decent percentage of people will have forgotten all about FDNY once their mommies stop asking them how they did on the test.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

  10. #5010
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,078

    Default

    870 passed. I do not know exact #s but I've heard that over 100 will not have the 2 years time on in January, and maybe another 100 were too old.

    Also I realize he is an individual with his own opinions that represent no one besides himself, just the same as I am an individual with my own opinion on here that is not necessarily representative of anybody but myself.
    FDNYPD likes this.

  11. #5011
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by knicksh2o View Post
    I hope so too. And trust me I really want this job as well. I have a Masters degree and im practically shredding that diploma for this job!
    C'mon, Knick. Those of us with education need to represent that system well and have an open mind about others. In what field is your degree? You're going to see people from all walks of life in the academy. Some you may think deserve it, others you may not. The point is that they are now your brothers and no matter how they got there, you need to respect and support them. Look at your score. Clearly, it's not a matter of when not if you'll be in the academy. Train and train hard because you have a much better chance than a lot of people. Don't take things so hard. The job will rot you from the inside out if you're worried about politics before you've dropped your first bead of sweat at The Rock.
    Test: 2000
    Score: 98
    List Number: 60**

  12. #5012
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    142

    Default

    Bottom line: All we (OC guys) have done is taken an exam. EMS guys have spent time on the streets dealing with some less than desirable people. EMTs get spit on, exposed to hazards, and even beat up by the people who they are trying to help. Being an EMT in NYC nowadays is NOT a cakewalk. These guys put their @sses on the line everyday for a meager salary because they truly want the job. I respect the hell outta all those people on 2500 for going out there and doing it for at least 2 years.
    zachryw2001 and fc6019 like this.

  13. #5013
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Currently IL
    Posts
    298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rcfd31 View Post
    I would have let you use them but my friend took them back because his cousin was behind me on the list and he wanted to read them too. I recently asked him to borrow them again but he said that his cousin ended up ruining them with water or something lol. figures!!
    @Manhattan medic

    Just curious when the EMS guys get the promotion to FF, do they basically let their EMT/Medic license expire or is there a way for them to keep them valid while working as a FF?
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

    "But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

  14. #5014
    Forum Member
    FdnytolifeE293's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!
    Posts
    379

    Default

    Before the three years is up you have to take a 60 hr refresher course. Now my question is does the FDNY offer these refresher courses or do you have to go to places like emergency care?
    Test 2000
    Score 97
    List#700X
    Do I stand a chance?

    I will not tire, I will not falter, and I will not fail!!!

  15. #5015
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Currently IL
    Posts
    298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FdnytolifeE293 View Post
    Before the three years is up you have to take a 60 hr refresher course. Now my question is does the FDNY offer these refresher courses or do you have to go to places like emergency care?
    That's kinda what I was curious about, does the FDNY help you with your CEUs and refresher classes?
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

    "But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

  16. #5016
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FdnytolifeE293 View Post
    Someone I know told me today that one of his friends who's list number is in the 70s on the oc list, won't be taking the physical. Reason being is because he chose to work as a correction officer. He also said that this guy just took the exam just to take it as well as other exams he took. Now I wonder how many people will be in this position because among other factors this may determine how far down the list they are willing to go. I honestly hope they go to Atleast 10,000+. Well, then again, it's just wishful thinking.


    Most likely they will prepare the priority hires and put them in those spots. Don't worry you have a very good list number, you'll be first in line. Just being prepared will be all on your part, be ready because it goes by really quick.
    So you think with a list number 21xx, next winter's class is realistic? Barring all goes well of course haha
    Last edited by mocon337; 10-28-2012 at 04:40 PM.

  17. #5017
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mocon337 View Post
    So you think with a list number 21xx, next winter's class is realistic? Barring all goes well of course haha
    Not one knows for sure, but it is definitely a possibility. My advice would be to train as if you are going in next Jan. The main variable to pay attention to is how this whole "priority hire" thing will play out.
    20xx

  18. #5018
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    104

    Default

    In light of the latest Garaufis involvement with the fairness hearing, lets all hope that Merit Matters and

    the UFA get involved in this joke of a justice system. Keep #6019 alive.

  19. #5019
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kd44 View Post
    Not one knows for sure, but it is definitely a possibility. My advice would be to train as if you are going in next Jan. The main variable to pay attention to is how this whole "priority hire" thing will play out.
    Yea that's what I'm shooting for. Expect the worst hope for the best. I try to take into consideration how many people took the test just to take it, many of which I know. I get the feeling there are lots of Tommy Gavin wannabes on that list.

  20. #5020
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mocon337 View Post
    Yea that's what I'm shooting for. Expect the worst hope for the best. I try to take into consideration how many people took the test just to take it, many of which I know. I get the feeling there are lots of Tommy Gavin wannabes on that list.
    I know people who took it who are afraid of heights.
    Last edited by anapolitano89; 10-28-2012 at 08:02 PM.
    Test 2000
    List #: 57XX

  21. #5021
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anapolitano89 View Post
    I know people who took it who are afraid of heights. Hopefully, for our sake, there are quite a few people oblivious to what the job entails.
    Yea dude I remember someone saying they wanted to know how they can go about being on the job but not having to go into fires. I know one dude who smokes weed literally everyday, and probably hasn't lifted or ran in a year and is in the top thousand. Hopefully karma comes around for those of us who are serious.

  22. #5022
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,241

    Default

    some how people tested who are too old
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

  23. #5023
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anapolitano89 View Post
    I know people who took it who are afraid of heights. Hopefully, for our sake, there are quite a few people oblivious to what the job entails.
    I know about 10 current FFs close friends of mine. All afraid of heights and always been lol. That's not enough reason to fail the academy haha.

  24. #5024
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    96

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BTown View Post
    In light of the latest Garaufis involvement with the fairness hearing, lets all hope that Merit Matters and

    the UFA get involved in this joke of a justice system. Keep #6019 alive.
    its probably a little late now

  25. #5025
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Poconos, Pa
    Posts
    796

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anapolitano89 View Post
    I know people who took it who are afraid of heights. Hopefully, for our sake, there are quite a few people oblivious to what the job entails.
    I'm afraid of heights.. I've been all my life. But you know what? I overcome it. When they call my number ill let you know how scared I am, since ill be called before you.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 43 users browsing this thread. (10 members and 33 guests)

  1. 4040clubBouncer,
  2. BklynFDNY89,
  3. bklynmike91,
  4. bkopie,
  5. DannyD0pe,
  6. EKFCASPER,
  7. F1R3DNY_Alphabet_City,
  8. fdny2016,
  9. Matador611

Similar Threads

  1. Remember The Brothers 9-11-01
    By E40FDNYL35 in forum The 9-11 Tragedy
    Replies: 132
    Last Post: 09-11-2014, 12:13 PM
  2. FDNY Medical Exam
    By FDNY78 in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-13-2014, 08:46 PM
  3. Fdny exam
    By ffkisselstein in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 12:43 PM
  4. Firefighters Betrayed
    By Nail200 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 259
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 03:11 PM
  5. No Firefighter Should Ever Die Again
    By blancety in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 280
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 11:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register