Like Tree9843Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

  1. #5026
    Forum Member
    FdnytolifeE293's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!
    Posts
    379

    Default

    I feel bad for anyone afraid of heights. When these candidates get to the academy and go up on one of the ladders in back of the rigs, which will be almost in a 90 degree angle and you have to climb it to get on top of one of the buildings, they will chit themselves. Not only will they be faced with the fear of height but also how unstable the ladder is. Remember it's going to be windy and you'll be in full gear carrying all these tools, it won't come easy lol. Honestly they should of included this on the cpat.
    Test 2000
    Score 97
    List#700X
    Do I stand a chance?

    I will not tire, I will not falter, and I will not fail!!!

  2. #5027
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Racine,WI
    Posts
    52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by knicksh2o View Post
    Well I personally know an EMS guy whose been OTJ for 6 months and the ONLY reason he became an EMS is to get into the FDNY. He got a horrible score on the test and his list number is in the 700's on the 2500 exam.

    And trust me, im not going to lose any sleep from it with a 800 list but there are plenty of guys who had no extra points and got a 96 on the 2000 exam and will unfortunetly not get in while EMS guys who "slaved" for 6 months will be on with a 75 test score.

    I have no problem putting the EMS guys on for promotion but i just feel like they are getting way too much priority. My advice: either up the eligible promo year to 3 or 4, or just let them take the same exact test as us and give them ten extra points. I wonder how many of those 870 ems dudes will still be relevant

    EDIT: and one more thing.. Somebody mentioned that ems slave for **** money? You see the economy we are in? Everyone who has taken this test makes **** money.. I make **** money, you make **** money, and the guy with a 96 who works at mcdonalds makes **** money too.. cry me a river with all this sensitivity towards medics
    I scored a 96. Out of state and no extra points. Dream withering. Also last chance. Maybe the fire gods will have mercy and get to my number.

  3. #5028
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Poconos, Pa
    Posts
    796

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FdnytolifeE293 View Post
    I feel bad for anyone afraid of heights. When these candidates get to the academy and go up on one of the ladders in back of the rigs, which will be almost in a 90 degree angle and you have to climb it to get on top of one of the buildings, they will chit themselves. Not only will they be faced with the fear of height but also how unstable the ladder is. Remember it's going to be windy and you'll be in full gear carrying all these tools, it won't come easy lol. Honestly they should of included this on the cpat.
    Don't worry.. I've climbed ladder trucks... In gear out of gear 35' 24' 14' repelled 42 feet down a wall... It's not that serious.. And those ladder trucks are pretty stable.
    FDNYPD likes this.

  4. #5029
    Forum Member
    FdnytolifeE293's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!
    Posts
    379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    Don't worry.. I've climbed ladder trucks... In gear out of gear 35' 24' 14' repelled 42 feet down a wall... It's not that serious.. And those ladder trucks are pretty stable.

    I'm not directing my comment towards you. I'm saying in general there are people out there that would be scared chitless lol. When you get to proby school, check in with us to let us guys further down the list know how's proby school and also to give us some motivation haha.
    Test 2000
    Score 97
    List#700X
    Do I stand a chance?

    I will not tire, I will not falter, and I will not fail!!!

  5. #5030
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    I'm afraid of heights.. I've been all my life. But you know what? I overcome it. When they call my number ill let you know how scared I am, since ill be called before you.
    Thanks buddy, looking forward to it
    Test 2000
    List #: 57XX

  6. #5031
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    96

    Default

    i know when people get there investigation packets they need to include information about earnings

    What happens if you work off the books but claim it as income on your taxes

  7. #5032
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Poconos, Pa
    Posts
    796

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FdnytolifeE293 View Post
    I'm not directing my comment towards you. I'm saying in general there are people out there that would be scared chitless lol. When you get to proby school, check in with us to let us guys further down the list know how's proby school and also to give us some motivation haha.
    No issues bro.. People act like they are better suited for fdny then the next guy bc they aren't afraid of heights... But those same people might freak out when they put an scba on... Or when they see fire for the first time.. Shouldn't wish ill will on anyone.. Regardless of the reason or situation..
    HopefulFF and I3akdraf like this.

  8. #5033
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FdnytolifeE293 View Post
    I feel bad for anyone afraid of heights. When these candidates get to the academy and go up on one of the ladders in back of the rigs, which will be almost in a 90 degree angle and you have to climb it to get on top of one of the buildings, they will chit themselves. Not only will they be faced with the fear of height but also how unstable the ladder is. Remember it's going to be windy and you'll be in full gear carrying all these tools, it won't come easy lol. Honestly they should of included this on the cpat.
    Everyone is afraid of something in life, if someone tells you otherwise it's a lie. What will separate you from others is how you confront your fears and put them aside to get the job done.
    zachryw2001 and frankp88 like this.

  9. #5034
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    No issues bro.. People act like they are better suited for fdny then the next guy bc they aren't afraid of heights... But those same people might freak out when they put an scba on... Or when they see fire for the first time.. Shouldn't wish ill will on anyone.. Regardless of the reason or situation..
    Never meant any disrespect, we are all after the same thing, so my comment was out of line, my fault.
    Test 2000
    List #: 57XX

  10. #5035
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Poconos, Pa
    Posts
    796

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anapolitano89 View Post
    Never meant any disrespect, we are all after the same thing, so my comment was out of line, my fault.
    We're cool. This is the point where we need to show the brotherhood.. If someone is lacking.. Offer to help, if someone has a problem offer a solution... "Let's go u got it" not " oh man I hope he screws up and fails". If we can't start now we won't in the academy

  11. #5036
    Forum Member
    FdnytolifeE293's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!
    Posts
    379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    We're cool. This is the point where we need to show the brotherhood.. If someone is lacking.. Offer to help, if someone has a problem offer a solution... "Let's go u got it" not " oh man I hope he screws up and fails". If we can't start now we won't in the academy

    I see that a little different from you. Only because this is still considered a competition I feel there's no brotherhood yet. Yeah, you can offer people advice and a little bit of help if they are lacking somewhere but there's people out there who's spot I would love to have. That's what makes me say, I hope people fail along the lines of this process. That's the whole point of a competitive list right? To see where others fail so that you can succeed. Now don't get me wrong, I don't wish you or anyone here the worst of the worst. But there's people who don't care about this job and those are the ones I would love to see fail. I know it sounds a little cutthroat and selfish but this is still considered a competition and I tend on playing to win.
    Test 2000
    Score 97
    List#700X
    Do I stand a chance?

    I will not tire, I will not falter, and I will not fail!!!

  12. #5037
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zachryw2001 View Post
    @Manhattan medic

    Just curious when the EMS guys get the promotion to FF, do they basically let their EMT/Medic license expire or is there a way for them to keep them valid while working as a FF?
    As far as I'm aware once in the rank of firefighter the department is only going to spend time/effort/money keeping you certified at the CFR-D level. If you want to keep EMT/EMTP it's up to you to do that. Many do, since it can be a relatively good side job (it's something you know and are familiar with, the hospitals tend to pay well, per diem scheduling works well with the firehouse schedule). I plan on doing my best to never work as a medic again, though I may keep my certification for a while just in case I have to.


    Quote Originally Posted by FdnytolifeE293 View Post
    I see that a little different from you. Only because this is still considered a competition I feel there's no brotherhood yet. Yeah, you can offer people advice and a little bit of help if they are lacking somewhere but there's people out there who's spot I would love to have. That's what makes me say, I hope people fail along the lines of this process. That's the whole point of a competitive list right? To see where others fail so that you can succeed. Now don't get me wrong, I don't wish you or anyone here the worst of the worst. But there's people who don't care about this job and those are the ones I would love to see fail. I know it sounds a little cutthroat and selfish but this is still considered a competition and I tend on playing to win.
    I think the best you can do is hope that the people that truly want it (like yourself) and really put in the work for it make it through the process, and that the ones that don't want it or don't put the work in don't manage to make it through.

    While its still entirely too early, if anyone is able to grab #s after the CPAT/medicals are done for #2500 I think that will be illustrative of what's to come. I'm sure there are plenty that will either fail 1 of those tests, or give up when the going gets tough.
    Last edited by Manhattan Medic; 10-28-2012 at 10:04 PM.

  13. #5038
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Currently IL
    Posts
    298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    As far as I'm aware once in the rank of firefighter the department is only going to spend time/effort/money keeping you certified at the CFR-D level. If you want to keep EMT/EMTP it's up to you to do that. Many do, since it can be a relatively good side job (it's something you know and are familiar with, the hospitals tend to pay well, per diem scheduling works well with the firehouse schedule). I plan on doing my best to never work as a medic again, though I may keep my certification for a while just in case I have to.

    Thanks. Just the answer I was looking for.
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

    "But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

  14. #5039
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zachryw2001 View Post
    Thanks. Just the answer I was looking for.
    No problem, though I'd prefer if one of the guys OTJ could confirm that, because I'm not 100% sure. Given how much work it takes to keep up the CME hours for paramedics I can't imagine the department is trying doing any favors for firefighters that also have the certification... however they have also floated the idea of ALS engines in the past, so who knows.

  15. #5040
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Been reading these forums for a while, and I'm appreciative of all the helpful information everyone is sharing here.

    But in regard to current events, you guys ready for 'Frankenstorm Sandy'? Hahaha.

  16. #5041
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FdnytolifeE293 View Post
    I see that a little different from you. Only because this is still considered a competition I feel there's no brotherhood yet. Yeah, you can offer people advice and a little bit of help if they are lacking somewhere but there's people out there who's spot I would love to have. That's what makes me say, I hope people fail along the lines of this process. That's the whole point of a competitive list right? To see where others fail so that you can succeed. Now don't get me wrong, I don't wish you or anyone here the worst of the worst. But there's people who don't care about this job and those are the ones I would love to see fail. I know it sounds a little cutthroat and selfish but this is still considered a competition and I tend on playing to win.
    I don't want to Sound grimey neither but I think the same ..
    Specially those that don't want the job. Once I'm in the academy it's a different story ! Im as loyal I can be and the brotherhood would begin !!!
    Last edited by Dannyvale ; 10-29-2012 at 03:23 AM.

  17. #5042
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    352

    Default

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJ_X9iFmJ5M&sns=em

    For those that really don't know what they getting into take, a look at this video
    Last edited by Dannyvale ; 10-29-2012 at 04:22 AM.
    mocon337 likes this.

  18. #5043
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    We're cool. This is the point where we need to show the brotherhood.. If someone is lacking.. Offer to help, if someone has a problem offer a solution... "Let's go u got it" not " oh man I hope he screws up and fails". If we can't start now we won't in the academy
    Great post.

    There are unfortunately a few IGM guys posting here, talking about hoping other people fail....but it seems like most people are with you on this, which is a good thing. It's one of those things, either you get it, or you don't.

  19. #5044
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bed-Stuy Brooklyn
    Posts
    220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    No issues bro.. People act like they are better suited for fdny then the next guy bc they aren't afraid of heights... But those same people might freak out when they put an scba on... Or when they see fire for the first time.. Shouldn't wish ill will on anyone.. Regardless of the reason or situation..
    Agreed, alot of recruits don't know what their weakness is cause they never actually done the job. i've seen people literally freakout and panic when going in a small dark space with gear on and have to go to a dept. pysch. Just because someone has a weakness exposed in the academy doesn't mean they can't recover and become a great FF. The academy is there for training you on how to manage in those situations.
    zachryw2001 likes this.

  20. #5045
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    278

    Default

    You guys in the city stay safe. It's already getting bad here in Delaware and we're not supposed to get it as bad
    Test: 2000
    Score: 98
    List Number: 60**

  21. #5046
    Forum Member
    FdnytolifeE293's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!
    Posts
    379

    Default

    You long island guys be careful. A lot of flooding I'm seeing on the news.
    Test 2000
    Score 97
    List#700X
    Do I stand a chance?

    I will not tire, I will not falter, and I will not fail!!!

  22. #5047
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    96

    Default

    here is the height to weight scale

    Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 704
Size:  38.3 KB
    Dannyvale likes this.

  23. #5048
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steven9d3 View Post
    here is the height to weight scale

    Attachment 22464
    so which column are we looking at? the 35% is circled but i thought it was 20%?

  24. #5049
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    96

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    so which column are we looking at? the 35% is circled but i thought it was 20%?
    im 99% sure its the 20% column
    HopefulFF likes this.

  25. #5050
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    24

    Default

    So are they enforcing that scale?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Remember The Brothers 9-11-01
    By E40FDNYL35 in forum The 9-11 Tragedy
    Replies: 133
    Last Post: 09-29-2014, 04:52 AM
  2. FDNY Medical Exam
    By FDNY78 in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-13-2014, 08:46 PM
  3. Fdny exam
    By ffkisselstein in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 12:43 PM
  4. Firefighters Betrayed
    By Nail200 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 259
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 03:11 PM
  5. No Firefighter Should Ever Die Again
    By blancety in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 280
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 11:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register