Like Tree10628Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

It wasn't all that bad a night for me, other than evacuating our station, oh and walking up 22 flights for absolutely no reason, but I just chalked that up to some CPAT training.

Driving around the village in the dark is weird. I highly recommend it. Can't believe the **** I'm reading about the fires out in Brooklyn/Queens.
    nycthirteen likes this.

Forum Member
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

Is everyone on this forum alright?? Does everyone have power in their homes?? If anyone is in the woodhaven area in queens and your without food or water pm me ill be more than happy to help. I encourage anyone to do the same for your neighbors.
    Test 2000
    Score 97
    List#700X
    Do I stand a chance?

I will not tire, I will not falter, and I will not fail!!!

Forum Member

Hope all you guys are alright. I'm hearing things are pretty bad down in Breezy Point they're gonna need a lot of help in the coming days and weeks.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    It wasn't all that bad a night for me, other than evacuating our station, oh and walking up 22 flights for absolutely no reason, but I just chalked that up to some CPAT training.

Driving around the village in the dark is weird. I highly recommend it. Can't believe the **** I'm reading about the fires out in Brooklyn/Queens.
    Yea man rockaway had like fires back to back .... Coney Island got flooded really bad ... I also heard of a FF dying, don't know much info though .. And many other parts got it bad. It's sad . I hope everyone made it out ok

Forum Member

6 Alarms in Breezy Point/Rockaway. They were saying they couldn't access the hydrants because the water was completely covering them. Crazy stuff man.

Forum Member

hope everyone stayed safe out there

quick question was exam 6019 the first test not to use a competitive physical?

Forum Member

Since you guys are wondering about how you may need to look to land in the FDNY calendar I thought I share a link. Hope it serves as some fitness motivation.

http://www.myfoxaustin.com/story/192...ndar-of-heroes

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DannyD0pe View Post
    Since you guys are wondering about how you may need to look to land in the FDNY calendar I thought I share a link. Hope it serves as some fitness motivation.

http://www.myfoxaustin.com/story/192...ndar-of-heroes
    I am not trying to land the calendar. I was just curious lol.
    mocon337 and FdnytolifeE293 like this.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

Howard beach reported 8-10 ft of water, national guard and FEMA reported there to help out with the devastation.
    Last edited by FdnytolifeE293; 10-30-2012 at 05:25 PM.
    Test 2000
    Score 97
    List#700X
    Do I stand a chance?

I will not tire, I will not falter, and I will not fail!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by steven9d3 View Post
    hope everyone stayed safe out there

quick question was exam 6019 the first test not to use a competitive physical?
    Yes I believe so, it was the first FDNY entrance exam to adopt the CPAT.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Yes I believe so, it was the first FDNY entrance exam to adopt the CPAT.
    thanks buddy

Forum Member

Guys quick question. What do you guys think about showing up with a copy of your resume whenever you meet up with your investigator? I think it might be a good idea. Also, just an advice, be careful of what you post on FB and other social media sites. I doubt they're going to actually go through your stuff but its better to be safe than sorry. Im in the Army and they make a big deal about what their members post on social media sites.

Also, has anyone from OC 2000 been called yet?. I saw someone mention it would be a good idea if people around the same range number on the list stay in touch. So if anyone is near 1xx you're more than welcome to contact me.
    Last edited by manny.pena; 10-31-2012 at 11:14 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by manny.pena View Post
    Guys quick question. What do you guys think about showing up with a copy of your resume whenever you meet up with your investigator? I think it might be a good idea. Also, just an advice, be careful of what you post on FB and other social media sites. I doubt they're going to actually go through your stuff but its better to be safe than sorry. Im in the Army and they make a big deal about what their members post on social media sites.

Also, has anyone from OC 2000 been called yet?. I saw someone mention it would be a good idea if people around the same range number on the list stay in touch. So if anyone is near 1xx you're more than welcome to contact me.
    Just give them what they ask for, anything else is unnecessary.

Nobody from the OC has been called yet.

We appreciate the heads up, about the social media stuff, but the XX after your list number doesn't do you much good when your user name is your actual name.
    Last edited by GIMMEFIRE600; 10-31-2012 at 11:38 AM.
    vekdoggs75 and Dannyvale like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mannyjay View Post

They don't want or need your resume. If you're in the 100s then you would be part of whatever the first group is that is called from the OC. I can't see how they would start canvasing that list and not hit you up, so if you haven't heard anything then nobody has. When CI gives you the background investigation packet do your best to get them everything on the list of documents as quickly as possible, nothing more nothing less.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mannyjay View Post

Dude your resume could consist of dressing as Santa Claus in Macy's during Christmas and being a dogwalker on 5th avenue for the wasps. It don't matter as long as your list # is good and you're clean (in all ways). Don't think too much into this stuff.

Forum Member

what happened to the member of the vulcan who failed the drug test recently? did he get fired? just curious since other have been fired in the past
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mocon337 View Post
    Yea that's what I'm shooting for. Expect the worst hope for the best. I try to take into consideration how many people took the test just to take it, many of which I know. I get the feeling there are lots of Tommy Gavin wannabes on that list.
    lol "Tommy Gavin wannabe's"
    List # - 36XX
    Intake - N/A

Forum Member

Hurricane Sandy, as noted above, gave New Yorkers even more reason to appreciate the dedication and professionalism of the city’s emergency services — especially the FDNY.

What a pity, then, that US District Court Judge Nicholas Garaufis continues to do his best (worst?) to undermine what is arguably the world’s finest fire department.

The Brooklyn-based jurist has held the department hostage for years now, declaring — without real evidence — that its relative lack of racial diversity amounts to de facto racial discrimination.

He’s thrown out the results of impeccable city-crafted civil-service-recruiting exams, prevented the filling of whole classes of firefighters for four years, arbitrarily granted back pay to unhired applicants and imposed seniority for current minority FDNY personnel.

Paul Martinka
    Nicholas Garaufis
    Happily, City Hall continues to appeal Garaufis’ decisions while asking that he be removed from the case because of bias.

This month, during a four-day hearing in his courtroom, hundreds of rank-and-file firefighters aired their criticisms of Garaufis’ edicts.

They shared legitimate concerns that the de facto racial-quota system that Garaufis is trying to force down the city’s throat isn’t just unfair, but outright dangerous both to the public and to other firefighters whose lives depend on their colleagues being able to do the job.

Last Friday, Garaufis declared that such concerns are actually more evidence of a discriminatory FDNY, writing: “An institution’s desire to maintain its traditions is not an acceptable defense to claims of employment discrimination. In fact, it is precisely the problem . . .

“These comments reinforce the court’s concern that some personnel within the FDNY will resist or refuse to comply with the specific terms and spirit of the relief orders.”

But maintenance of tradition has nothing to do with it. The protests were about the judge’s willful efforts to dismantle standards proven over to time to protect not only firefighters, but all New Yorkers, too.

Keep in mind that no proof of discrimination exists — because there has been no discrimination.

Garaufis’ latest ruling demonstrates that the city is exactly right in seeking to have him removed from the case. He’s hopelessly biased against the FDNY and can’t be trusted to rule fairly in this case.

Garaufis needs to go. Period.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Hey.. Quick question.. Do any of you New Yorkers on here know anything about John jay college? I'm in the 4000s and thinking about using my GI bill..And I really enjoy the city.. Figure I can get a degree, learn the city, and maybe network a little between now and when my number gets called..

On a more important note.. Engine 268. Are complete and utter machines.. Risking their lives just to go risk there lives.. My number can't be called quick enough.. God bless.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    Hey.. Quick question.. Do any of you New Yorkers on here know anything about John jay college? I'm in the 4000s and thinking about using my GI bill..And I really enjoy the city.. Figure I can get a degree, learn the city, and maybe network a little between now and when my number gets called..

On a more important note.. Engine 268. Are complete and utter machines.. Risking their lives just to go risk there lives.. My number can't be called quick enough.. God bless.
    My brother graduated from there. Pretty good school from what I hear. Near trains so is also easy to get to.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    My brother graduated from there. Pretty good school from what I hear. Near trains so is also easy to get to.
    Its across the street from Roosevelt hospital. Cops I think go there for free, lots of people go for criminal justice.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    Its across the street from Roosevelt hospital. Cops I think go there for free, lots of people go for criminal justice.
    My brother is a cop lol. And I do believe there is a program where Firefighters can go there free as well. I could be wrong....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    My brother is a cop lol. And I do believe there is a program where Firefighters can go there free as well. I could be wrong....
    They have a BA in fire science/ emergency... Figure I can collect the huge BAH check while commuting from here... Easier to save for LASIK.. Bc I know I'll need it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    Dude your resume could consist of dressing as Santa Claus in Macy's during Christmas and being a dogwalker on 5th avenue for the wasps. It don't matter as long as your list # is good and you're clean (in all ways). Don't think too much into this stuff.
    Thanks for the imput. I guess im looking at it from the employer's perspective. I got it, the resume is not required but im trying to make a good impression the first time. Im aware they could very well just shred my resume as soon as i give it to them or they could say "hey this guy is squared away, he brought his resume even though we didnt ask for it."

The resume would be geared towards working for the FD for example if you have worked for other FD, EMT qualified, military experience, etc. It would be idiotic of me to hand them a resume geared towards anything else other than the FD. But then again i havent been through the investigation process. Some of you guys have so ill definitely take your guys advice into consideration.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    what happened to the member of the vulcan who failed the drug test recently? did he get fired? just curious since other have been fired in the past
    Unless someone in the department looks into that and shares it here it'll be tough to follow up. I'm sure he got a 30 day suspension without pay, and unless he get some sort of special treatment he will be terminated within a years time (it's a slow process). If he's smart he will probably resign first, since he can save face for future employment purposes and not potentially lose his pension.

The same happened to a coworker recently. Over 20 years on (EMS can retire at 25) and he got caught. Resigned pretty quickly. It's such a shame. I don't believe that is an appropriate way to deal with one offense when it's someone's career.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Thread Information