Like Tree9853Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    Hey.. Quick question.. Do any of you New Yorkers on here know anything about John jay college? I'm in the 4000s and thinking about using my GI bill..And I really enjoy the city.. Figure I can get a degree, learn the city, and maybe network a little between now and when my number gets called...
    John Jay is centrally located in the city and has a ton of coursework relevant to the job. A great many people either on PD or FD go there or have graduated from John Jay and they cater to the crowd. Sad proof of this fact is that John Jay lost more graduates on 9/11 than any other university in the country, the majority of them firefighters. They've also spent a tremendous amount of money upgrading the facilities in the past few years, its really modern. Lots of cute ladies doesn't hurt…
    Dannyvale likes this.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 103
    List # 53X

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mannyjay View Post
    Thanks for the imput. I guess im looking at it from the employer's perspective. I got it, the resume is not required but im trying to make a good impression the first time. Im aware they could very well just shred my resume as soon as i give it to them or they could say "hey this guy is squared away, he brought his resume even though we didnt ask for it."

The resume would be geared towards working for the FD for example if you have worked for other FD, EMT qualified, military experience, etc. It would be idiotic of me to hand them a resume geared towards anything else other than the FD. But then again i havent been through the investigation process. Some of you guys have so ill definitely take your guys advice into consideration.
    YOU. DON'T. NEED. A. RESUME.

You wanna make a good impression? Show up clean shaven, in a suit, with all the ****ing documents in order as they asked for. If you are claiming veterans credit then just provide the required documents to prove such. It's not that people don't appreciate/like what you've done for the country, but you have to understand that each investigator has a huge caseload for the various classes they're constantly working on filling. The only person you speak to in this regard is your investigator, and while it's good to have a good working relationship with them throughout the process, at the end of the day they're another civil service employee just like what you hope to be, they aren't the chief that makes the final call on whether to hire you or not.

re John Jay: I've gone to John Jay on and off for years. It's a good school, though you shouldn't go there just because you are hoping to get on FDNY. The college credit requirements for the department are fulfilled with credits from anywhere/anything, so do something you want to do, or something that could get you a side job (paramedic, RN, etc). That said, I have a BA in Fire and Emergency Services. I took classes at Randall's Island and at Fort Totten before I joined FDNY and the experience was rewarding and helped motivate me to keep working towards this direction. The degree is fairly useless though because it isn't fire science. A friend on the job got a fire science: arson investigation degree from JJay and it saved his career when he hurt his knee so bad that he would have been put out 3/4 in his 20s. Now he's getting fairly high up in investigations/prevention thanks to being able to take a job there when they said he could never go full duty again.

If you are going to go to JJay for undergrad there's a few things you should know. If you are going to do the fire related degrees: Fire Science probably has more real world applications, but it also requires some sciences, the science classes at JJay are f*cking tough. They use 1st year chem as a weedout for their forensics majors. I got through it with A's, but it was not easy. Fire and Emergency Services is a mix of fire science classes and public admin classes. I liked it, but I'm not sure what I would do with it other than go to grad school and get some sort of management degree. Coincidentally I started the masters of public administration program at JJay, intending to do emergency management. I still liked the public administration courses, but I really hated the emergency management stuff. Maybe it's an age thing, but at this age I just don't care to talk about big picture, boring management stuff like that.

Anyone OTJ (fire and EMS) can take undergrad classes at JJay and be reimbursed. It's not 100%, but it's still a substantial amount of money. They will not pay for grad classes.
    vekdoggs75 and frankp88 like this.

Forum Member

is the dept stretched thing right now because of all the disaster? curious how bad they are feeling it.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Support Merit Matters, pray that NG gets canned and that #6019 is back in the Mix.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Unless someone in the department looks into that and shares it here it'll be tough to follow up. I'm sure he got a 30 day suspension without pay, and unless he get some sort of special treatment he will be terminated within a years time (it's a slow process). If he's smart he will probably resign first, since he can save face for future employment purposes and not potentially lose his pension.

The same happened to a coworker recently. Over 20 years on (EMS can retire at 25) and he got caught. Resigned pretty quickly. It's such a shame. I don't believe that is an appropriate way to deal with one offense when it's someone's career.
    Normally I would feel bad for a person losing their job in these economic hard times, but in this situation all I feel like saying is..."YOU'RE FIRED!!!!!! (Vince McMahon voice)

Forum Member

When are the people from EMS scheduled to start taking their medicials and CPAT?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by steven9d3 View Post
    When are the people from EMS scheduled to start taking their medicials and CPAT?
    My buddy who is in the 100's on the EMS list is scheduled for the CPAT in a couple weeks
    steven9d3 likes this.
    Test 2000
    List #: 57XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BTown View Post
    Support Merit Matters, pray that NG gets canned and that #6019 is back in the Mix.
    Not to be too crass, but while we're at it we might as well pray to win Powerball. There is a new list established, 6019 has expired, and nobody with any clout (the city, the department, the Vulcans, or the judge) have any interest in having that fight. In this case, fairness has nothing to do with reality. 6019 is dead, dead, dead, and focusing on the past will help nobody trying to move into the future.
    FDsouthbxNY, grok350 and steven9d3 like this.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 103
    List # 53X

Forum Member

I second that, it's going to be a never ending issue if we just don't move on.

Forum Member

YOU. DON'T. NEED. A. RESUME.

You wanna make a good impression? Show up clean shaven, in a suit, with all the ****ing documents in order as they asked for. If you are claiming veterans credit then just provide the required documents to prove such. It's not that people don't appreciate/like what you've done for the country, but you have to understand that each investigator has a huge caseload for the various classes they're constantly working on filling. The only person you speak to in this regard is your investigator, and while it's good to have a good working relationship with them throughout the process, at the end of the day they're another civil service employee just like what you hope to be, they aren't the chief that makes the final call on whether to hire you or not.

re John Jay: I've gone to John Jay on and off for years. It's a good school, though you shouldn't go there just because you are hoping to get on FDNY. The college credit requirements for the department are fulfilled with credits from anywhere/anything, so do something you want to do, or something that could get you a side job (paramedic, RN, etc). That said, I have a BA in Fire and Emergency Services. I took classes at Randall's Island and at Fort Totten before I joined FDNY and the experience was rewarding and helped motivate me to keep working towards this direction. The degree is fairly useless though because it isn't fire science. A friend on the job got a fire science: arson investigation degree from JJay and it saved his career when he hurt his knee so bad that he would have been put out 3/4 in his 20s. Now he's getting fairly high up in investigations/prevention thanks to being able to take a job there when they said he could never go full duty again.

If you are going to go to JJay for undergrad there's a few things you should know. If you are going to do the fire related degrees: Fire Science probably has more real world applications, but it also requires some sciences, the science classes at JJay are f*cking tough. They use 1st year chem as a weedout for their forensics majors. I got through it with A's, but it was not easy. Fire and Emergency Services is a mix of fire science classes and public admin classes. I liked it, but I'm not sure what I would do with it other than go to grad school and get some sort of management degree. Coincidentally I started the masters of public administration program at JJay, intending to do emergency management. I still liked the public administration courses, but I really hated the emergency management stuff. Maybe it's an age thing, but at this age I just don't care to talk about big picture, boring management stuff like that.

Anyone OTJ (fire and EMS) can take undergrad classes at JJay and be reimbursed. It's not 100%, but it's still a substantial amount of money. They will not pay for grad classes.
    Not doing it only bc I might get hired by FDNY.. More along the lines of I need to use my GI bill, and I'm not in a career that is lucrative or enjoyable.. And the BAH rate is amazing... And I love NYC.. And I figure the fire science thing interests me alot so my attention span will be there.. Being in a hire able range is just icing.

Forum Member

On a separate note guys, consider doing whatever you can to help the folks down in Breezy Point/Rockaway. I went to high school with a lot of these guys, good people down there, and they have a HUGE community of FDNY guys that were probably affected by the hurricane pretty badly.
    MDEL210201 and FDsouthbxNY like this.

Forum Member

Not doing it only bc I might get hired by FDNY.. More along the lines of I need to use my GI bill, and I'm not in a career that is lucrative or enjoyable.. And the BAH rate is amazing... And I love NYC.. And I figure the fire science thing interests me alot so my attention span will be there.. Being in a hire able range is just icing.
    Then go for it man, just giving some background. It's a good school, but just be prepared to work your *** off in the science classes.

Forum Member

Anyone get any good workouts in at home while holed up during the storm? I'd imagine a lot of gyms are closed right now so lets all share any good at-home workout tips we've got.

Some ideas I came up with:
    -Lots and lots of pushups. Regular ones, decline pushups (feet up on a coffee table), incline pushups (hands on a coffee table)
    -Most ab work doesn't require a machine. Situps, Leg raises, etc
    -Tricep dips. Try them off a coffee table or the side of your bed!
    -Mountain Climbers
    -Squats
    -Torturous exercises til failure (how long can you hold a squat, a leg raise, etc)

What else? Anyone know any exercises they do at the Rock that don't require equipment?

Forum Member

planks, pull ups if you have one of those things to hang in a door frame. kettle bells.

An abmat makes doing crunches more challenging and also less painful on your back. Kind of expensive for what it is though.

Forum Member

planks, pull ups if you have one of those things to hang in a door frame. kettle bells.

An abmat makes doing crunches more challenging and also less painful on your back. Kind of expensive for what it is though.

Abmat eh? Just looked it up. They've got em on amazon too, prime eligible at that. My only concern with that is getting too used it. You don't get your very own fdny issued abmat at the academy!!

Forum Member

You guys talking about working out and I'm on my 5th week of rest after going gym crazy for 5 years straight lol. I must admit my body feels amazing. 3 more weeks to go and I'm back at it!
    My1Goal and Ladders 4 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    Abmat eh? Just looked it up. They've got em on amazon too, prime eligible at that. My only concern with that is getting too used it. You don't get your very own fdny issued abmat at the academy!!
    We were told at CPAT training that you only do sit ups on the first and last day of the academy. And while abmat sit ups are different from what they test you on in the academy, if you can do 100+ abmat sit ups in a sitting then you'll be more than prepared.
    Dannyvale likes this.

Forum Member

I may go ahead and get one then. I spend dough like a f'n Rockefeller these days anyway, I don't see the difference. Thanks for the heads up...
    petrole likes this.

Forum Member

Anyone have gas they want to sell me?

Forum Member

We were told at CPAT training that you only do sit ups on the first and last day of the academy. And while abmat sit ups are different from what they test you on in the academy, if you can do 100+ abmat sit ups in a sitting then you'll be more than prepared.
    How about the running ??? I hope the running is everyday !!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    I may go ahead and get one then. I spend dough like a f'n Rockefeller these days anyway, I don't see the difference. Thanks for the heads up...
    Want to buy a stairmaster for us to train Rockefeller ????

Forum Member

Did they mention any other types of workouts at the CPAT training that are good academy prep? My routine is getting a bit stale and I need some new ideas.

MembersZone Subscriber

They have a BA in fire science/ emergency... Figure I can collect the huge BAH check while commuting from here... Easier to save for LASIK.. Bc I know I'll need it.
    Do yourself a favor and don't bother with that type of degree. Get a business degree or something else. Set yourself up for a career after fire or a side career during firefighting. That degree won't help you get on any faster nor will it help you with promotions.
    Exam #2000
    #10XX

Forum Member

Interesting read.

http://campbelllawobserver.com/2012/...ing-practices/

The issue of granting retroactive seniority to candidates based on race and how that alone makes Garaufis' ruling impermissible since, if there are ever layoffs they would be effectively race based is a good point. Hope the second circuit court takes notice.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MDEL210201 View Post
    Do yourself a favor and don't bother with that type of degree. Get a business degree or something else. Set yourself up for a career after fire or a side career during firefighting. That degree won't help you get on any faster nor will it help you with promotions.

I'm just trying to not let my GI bill go to waste.. I have no interest in anything outside of the firefighting world..and I'm not going to go to school for something I dont want to do of what doesn't intrest me....I know the degree won't help me get hired here.. But the GI bill will pay me very well while I wait..

Thread Information