Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 206 of 1158 FirstFirst ... 106156196203204205206207208209216256306706 ... LastLast
Results 4,101 to 4,120 of 23150
Like Tree9076Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Default FDNY Exam 2000 - Questions !

Hello Folks.. hope everyone did well on their FDNY exam. I am list# 4xxx and scored a 99 and am kind of pleased with that score but would like to know what you experts think. From all i've read im pretty sure everyone feels they will reach that list # at some point but i guess my question is.. 1)how long until they reach that # do you think?

2) I have seasonal asthma.. never really care any medicine with me and i never really need treatment. On top of that I am fit and train daily (run, weightlifting and sports), so im very confident i will pass the CPAT with flying colors. However, will they disqualify me based on the fact that i have asthma alone? or if i pass my CPAT no problemo will they just let me keep rolling along. I find it very hard to believe out of however many firefighters active there are in NY that none of them have asthma.

Thanks fellas! and good luck to all.

Forum Member

Along with the last question, regarding medical requirements, does anyone know the departments requirements for color in vision? I am apparently red-green color blind (which I just found out a couple of years ago at a physical). I can see the colors of red and green very easily, the only time it affects me is when I am looking at very dark shades of those colors.

Thanks!
    Last edited by 3000miles; 10-10-2012 at 03:30 PM.

Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

I think for pd it's a problem but not for FDNY. If someone knows for sure, correct me.
    Test 2000
    Score 97
    List#700X
    Do I stand a chance?

I will not tire, I will not falter, and I will not fail!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 3000miles View Post
    Along with the last question, regarding medical requirements, does anyone know the departments requirements for color in vision? I am apparently red-green color blind (which I just found out a couple of years ago at a physical). I can see the colors of red and green very easily, the only time it affects me is when I am looking at very dark shades of those colors.

Thanks!
    I know from my past 2 experiences taking and passing the medical they do test for color blindness. I am not sure if they the severity of it or if there is a passing limit, all i know is they had me look at ishihara test where you have to identify the number in the circle of different colored dots
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by eng1irons View Post
    Is the mile and a half in order to get into the academy, or is it done once you're already in?

People are saying they hire extra to weed them out the first day with the mile and a half run, why wouldn't they just have it as a requirement to get in instead like PD does then?
    Im pretty sure the 1.5 mile run is the last step in the process before the academy. someone correct me if I'm wrong, and the reason why they might have a class of more then 300 is if people fail out at any point during probie school then they still have a graduating class around 300.

Forum Member

Hey Skyline, I am in the middle of sending you a pm that is broken up into a couple different parts. I got the first one through, but after that your inbox is full. If you could do me a solid and empty out a couple, I would appreciate it. Thanks....

Forum Member

How many did the dept hire in past years before 6019?

Forum Member

Got it.. Do you know where I could call to get some information on this from the department? I have a list # in the low 5,000s so if I even get a call, it will be a long time, but it would suck to wait that long to find out that I am not qualified. As I said, it is such a minor issue that I didn't even know until my medical for the job I am at now about 2.5 yrs ago. It was pretty nerve racking when you get a conditional job offer for a fire job, and go into the medical a young and fit guy, to find that out. Luckily it wasn't an issue with the department!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    How many did the dept hire in past years before 6019?
    In my opinion, you're racking your brain, BK. Times have changed since then. It's anyone's ball game. You did fine in the lists so it's all about working on your other stuff and staying in shape. Sitting here speculating only causes heartache. I know, I'm probably the biggest what if'er on the planet lol. Go for a run and clear your mind. Enjoy the cool weather before you're knee deep in snow, brother. Like Bam said, "The sun is out."
    Dannyvale likes this.
    Test: 2000
    Score: 98
    List Number: 60**

Forum Member

anyone know how much the sibling legacy credit was worth?

Forum Member

Sup guys, I was wondering if anyone has an idea when the actually picking will begin for the Jan class? Also is there anyway to keep track of what number they are up to on the list?

List Number: 11xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackooze View Post
    Sup guys, I was wondering if anyone has an idea when the actually picking will begin for the Jan class? Also is there anyway to keep track of what number they are up to on the list?

List Number: 11xx
    Word is that we should start receiving our material right after the first class in January goes in. Now for the actual June class it is anyone guess on how many OC guys will go in. This is due to the promos and priority hires that may be leftover for that June class. I'm an 8XX and I'm waiting for those letters as well.

Forum Member

Hey all, frequent reader and infrequent poster, but congrats to all who did well enough to get hired. I missed on the residency points because of a lease mix up and had to move out of the city, back to the parents for 30 days during the year of residency (the kick in the teeth being that the apartment wasn't ready because they were updating to meet fire codes!) should have had a 101, but now looking at a 96, list# 88XX with no chance of getting hired. I will also be aging out after taking this and 6019 (close enough to get hired if the list played out) and was wondering if anyone else is in the same boat? I am going to make an appeal to the city to up the age requirement for next test to accommodate those who only ended up getting one shot at a list that runs it course. Anyone else who is in the same boat please write a letter as well!

Also interesting fact about the extra exam points: residency, veteran, etc. of the people with a score of 97 or above, which the city states as a hirable number, just under 1000 people scored that without extra points. Ie I scored a 96 with no extra points, that would mean without the points I would have a list number under 1000. For all of you who are thinking of taking the next test get those points somehow!!!!!!! or go EMS if this is really your dream, take the advise of someone who is regretting that decision every day.

Forum Member

Is the age limit the same for ems promo?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    I've heard anywhere from 3 to 8 miles daily. Though the 8 miles might be a culmination of everything during the course of a day. Someone else on here said it's about 4 miles a day.
    You'll run somewhere in the neighborhood of 4 miles each day. Many of the runs will take you over the pedestrian bridge at 110th st and back to the rock. Occasionally you might have a long run down and around Gracie Mansion and back. That gets up towards 7 miles. I think 7 was the longest I ever had in my class. The pace is usually in the 8 min. rang and slower on longer runs.

Just be in shape. Don't worry about each and every little number. Everything you do all day is going to be tiring. You'll be wearing your full bunker gear a lot. You march as a group to every class throughout the day. You'll be lifting and carrying throughout and this is on top of P.T. sessions. The pace of the day is quick. You have to change fast, eat fast and change again. You will never have a chance to shower and there isn't much time sitting around, especially for the first portion of the academy. Trust me....you'll be thrilled when you get to sit through a lecture.

Be as ready as you possibly can. Work hard and push through. For some people, it's going to be the hardest you've ever worked but you have a chance to better yourself. You'll make great friends, people you will rely on, people who'll rely on you. No one can get through without being a team player.

Just as important as your physical condition is your mindset. Have the right attitude. This job was here 150 years ago and was doing fine before you and before me. Get into it and bring something to the table. Every second that sucks will pay you back 10 fold over your career.

Forum Member

Hey guys, 2 questions:
    1. Is DCAS still allowing people to add points? On the JoinFDNY facebook page many people are asking how to add residency or saying that their veteran points were not added. The moderator is directing them to call DCAS. If this is happening then our list numbers are not correct and would be further back.

2. The academy sounds pretty tough. What should our fitness level be entering the academy? I dont want to be the guy that cant keep up. Im hitting the gym but my cardio is lacking. I remember reading on here somewhere that cardio and leg stregnth / endurance was most important in the past. Is this still true?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rush2000 View Post
    Hey guys, 2 questions:
    1. Is DCAS still allowing people to add points? On the JoinFDNY facebook page many people are asking how to add residency or saying that their veteran points were not added. The moderator is directing them to call DCAS. If this is happening then our list numbers are not correct and would be further back.

2. The academy sounds pretty tough. What should our fitness level be entering the academy? I dont want to be the guy that cant keep up. Im hitting the gym but my cardio is lacking. I remember reading on here somewhere that cardio and leg stregnth / endurance was most important in the past. Is this still true?
    what dcas will do is give half numbers, ex 500.5 and then you are just placed in between 500 and 501

Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

Chicago fire is on NBC today at 10!!
    Test 2000
    Score 97
    List#700X
    Do I stand a chance?

I will not tire, I will not falter, and I will not fail!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 3000miles View Post

Thanks!
    I have similar color blindness and have asked about it at my annual medical. The doctor I saw pulled out some book and looked through it, and then concluded that there is nothing in writing about color blindness... ie it's dealt with case by case, and at the doctor's digression. It shouldn't be a make or break thing.

re: 1.5 mile run.

You do it once right before you are hired, and it must be completed in 13 minutes. If you fail they will send you down to have a 2nd medical evaluation done the same day, and if you pass the medical then you are okay, but you won't, because apparently over 90% of people that get sent for a 2nd medical fail it.

After being hired you do it again on the first day of the academy, and must be completed in less than 12 minutes. If you fail this you will get remedial PT work, which I believe is an extra 2 hours twice a week, for the duration of the academy.

jackooze: The january class will be all EMS personnel. We are currently doing CPAT training, with time trials at DCAS slated to start in a month. Background investigations are going on, and I imagine our medical screenings will be in November/early December. Rumors abound about who will make up the June class, I imagine it will be some combination of Promo/OC.

deadbear271: The requirements for the promo are identical to the OC.
    Dannyvale likes this.

Forum Member

why do people asked to do a medical a second time usually fail it?
    How many shots do you guys get at the CPAT?
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 10-10-2012 at 10:46 PM.

Thread Information