Like Tree9890Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mocon337 View Post
    Thanks for the advice dude. From what you know was it the heart rate thing that makes or breaks it for someone who is in shape and training? Or did the other guys seem to not be in shape altogether?
    It was DEFINITELY the heart rate, I met an EMT today that was in pretty good shape that failed strictly because of his heart. He told me more than half of the guys he was getting screened with failed the stair master, and this is what I'm hearing constantly from multiple people, including the group I went with. I'm 5'11, 175 pounds and have been training on the stair master with a vest off and on for 2 years. One of the other guys I saw pass was about 215 pounds and looked out of shape but he passed, most are failing but you'd be surprised with some of the people that have passed.

What I can tell you WITHOUT A DOUBT is that the stair master is ALL ABOUT BREATH CONTROL, I CAN NOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH. If you belong to a gym with a stair-master and have any means of monitoring your heart-rate simultaneously, you will notice the faster you breath the higher your heart rate will go and vice-versa.

My time WITH the 50 pound vest was actually 10 points lower than without all because I was actually controlling my breathing.
    Last edited by Brooklyn Medic; 11-05-2012 at 12:37 AM. Reason: spelling
    mocon337 likes this.
    Exam# 2500
    List# x<100

Forum Member

First and only medical (unless you fail anything) consist of a couple of stations:
    -Blood pressure and heart-rate
    -Lung capacity
    -Vaccination administration
    -Eye exam
    -Hearing exam
    -EKG
    -Blood test
    -Drug test
    -Stair Master
    -Mask fitting
    -X-ray
    -Doctor Interview
    -Survey (multiple medical/depression questions)

Just trying to help you guys out because lord knows I've gotten plenty of insight from hawking this thread everyday for certain spans of time. Congratulate me when I get in the academy brother!
    Exam# 2500
    List# x<100

Forum Member

Great list number. I'm not sure what the vision requirements are but I myself had corrective eye surgery done during the summer of 2011 for the purpose of passing this exam.

It being a requirement is really based on your eyes, only you know how good/bad they are. What I can say is that I was not even a candidate for lasik because my cornea was too thin, I suggest at least getting a free consultation and seeing if you qualify for the surgery. I had to get PRK, an older form of corrective surgery which has a much longer recovery time.

With a list number like that it'd be a shame to be DQ'd over something you currently have control over.

I'd suggest the surgery, which is worth it regardless. If you decide you don't want to shell out the cash just yet just get a consultation to see if you qualify for the surgery if need be.
    Exam# 2500
    List# x<100

Forum Member

yes a little more than %50 of people are currently failing the stair-master the FIRST time, but they all have a chance to come back in one month and just do the stair-master again or ultimately for 8 minutes in which I know ALOT more people will pass fine.
    Of course I base this purely upon estimation but I think it will take more than two years.

@FDNYlistrider
    Last edited by Brooklyn Medic; 11-05-2012 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Forgot to quote
    Exam# 2500
    List# x<100

Forum Member

Does anyone know when exactly you will need your drivers license by? In other words, what step do you have until to get it?
    Test # 2000
    Score # 101
    List # 19XX
    Intake 3/5/14
    CPAT 3/27/14
    Medical 7/23/14

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYgrad2012 View Post
    Does anyone know when exactly you will need your drivers license by? In other words, what step do you have until to get it?
    You'll need it when you meet your investigator.
    Exam# 2500
    List# x<100

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYgrad2012 View Post
    They check for it during your background investigation. Your investigation will not be completed without it. There is no real deadline for when you must have it, you simply won't be offered a job without it. You should get going on that soon.

Forum Member

List #14XX....thinking perhaps middle of next year...or by the end of next year...am i off? Not sure if i wanna push signing up for the coast guard reserve between then and now and missing or delaying any part of fdny process..

Forum Member

for the guys who took the medical already, if you fail one part of it, does the whole exam stop right there or do you continue through the rest of the stations? If you have to come back for something do you go back for that 1 "station" or do you take the medical all over again? Thanks!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    for the guys who took the medical already, if you fail one part of it, does the whole exam stop right there or do you continue through the rest of the stations? If you have to come back for something do you go back for that 1 "station" or do you take the medical all over again? Thanks!
    I think it depends on what it is. When you meet with the doctor it's mainly for them to review your results and pass you or not. That would probably be where you discuss the failure and what can be done about it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    I think it depends on what it is. When you meet with the doctor it's mainly for them to review your results and pass you or not. That would probably be where you discuss the failure and what can be done about it.
    ah I was under the impression if you failed something they told you right there, but it sounds like that's not the case. Even for the stairs? You could fail that and not know immediately?

Forum Member

Hey guys, hope everyone is okay from this superstorm...

I have a quick question.. All my residency docs (bank statements, W2, etc.) are under my staten island address but my drivers license is under a brooklyn address. Do you think I should get this fixed or is it not too important?
    Test: 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 8XX

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by knicksh2o View Post
    Hey guys, hope everyone is okay from this superstorm...

I have a quick question.. All my residency docs (bank statements, W2, etc.) are under my staten island address but my drivers license is under a brooklyn address. Do you think I should get this fixed or is it not too important?
    If you can make them the same might as well do it to avoid any confusion/problems it might cause layer.
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

"But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Forum Member
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

Does anyone know about people claiming residency and vet points after the exam, would a person going from a 95 to 100 with vet or res points, would list numbers change? Would people get bumped down a few lists numbers because of this?
    Test 2000
    Score 97
    List#700X
    Do I stand a chance?

I will not tire, I will not falter, and I will not fail!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FdnytolifeE293 View Post
    Does anyone know about people claiming residency and vet points after the exam, would a person going from a 95 to 100 with vet or res points, would list numbers change? Would people get bumped down a few lists numbers because of this?
    They would insert you between numbers. Ex. You would be 100.5. That's the way I understood it would happen.
    Hotchi11 likes this.
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

"But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FdnytolifeE293 View Post

i heard that they will be getting new list number but it would be with .5 at the end for an example a person with a 100 who should be list number 2543 they would make the list number 2543.5 so they don't have to recreate the whole list again

Forum Member

Saw a post earlier about schooling/moving up the ranks... once one gets on the job, is education related to fire really looked at when it comes to moving up through the ranks? Before you answer, yes; obviously a lieutenant test has to be taken. Yes, character and reputation are huge. But besides those, how much of a difference does going to to school for a subject related to fire make?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYorDIETRYIN View Post
    Saw a post earlier about schooling/moving up the ranks... once one gets on the job, is education related to fire really looked at when it comes to moving up through the ranks? Before you answer, yes; obviously a lieutenant test has to be taken. Yes, character and reputation are huge. But besides those, how much of a difference does going to to school for a subject related to fire make?
    i dont think it really makes a difference at all. you can have a degree in cooking and you would be eligible to take all the test up to Battalion Chief

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYorDIETRYIN View Post
    Those OTJ can answer best, but I don't think I've ever met a boss with a fire related degree. That isn't to say it wouldn't be helpful, but it seems to be far from the norm and far from necessary. If you are thinking about what degree to pursue right now, this might be a fair question. Otherwise, I'd suggest focusing on the SEVERAL steps ahead of you before the LT exam is even on the horizon.
    FDsouthbxNY likes this.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 103
    List # 53X

Forum Member

All you need are credits, 60 for Lt/Capt and 120 (meaning a bachelors) to test to BC and DC. They don't care what subject. Sadly, character and reputation don't impact promotions.....but the men will know all about ya!

Now having covered that......worry about testing and meeting the requirements to be a fireman first.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    All you need are credits, 60 for Lt/Capt and 120 (meaning a bachelors) to test to BC and DC. They don't care what subject. Sadly, character and reputation don't impact promotions.....but the men will know all about ya!

Now having covered that......worry about testing and meeting the requirements to be a fireman first.
    Thanks fdsouthbxny. Only reason I asked was because I wasn't sure what degree would benefit me the most.

MembersZone Subscriber

You do not need the NYS DL unless you had marked NYC Resident for the points along with the appropriate paperwork. If not, then you are too late.

You will need the NYS DL when you actually show up the first day of processing after receiving your appointment letter (job offer) to present to the investigators.

I scored 100 written, 100 physical agillity (not CPAT) and had no extra points. At the time though, I had marked Veteran, but because of NYS civil service laws and I was not a NYS resident at the time, I was unable to use those points. My original list number was 3xx. When I was initially contacted by my investigator, he advised me that my list number would change, which it did, and I went down 2100 spots on the list and had an adjusted list number of xxxx.5

So you don't just change from eg; 111.0 to 111.5
    We will see significant changes to placement on the list.
    And believe me, they will be looking very closely at the resident paperwork.
    FDsouthbxNY likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    You do not need the NYS DL unless you had marked NYC Resident for the points along with the appropriate paperwork. If not, then you are too late.

You will need the NYS DL when you actually show up the first day of processing after receiving your appointment letter (job offer) to present to the investigators.

I scored 100 written, 100 physical agillity (not CPAT) and had no extra points. At the time though, I had marked Veteran, but because of NYS civil service laws and I was not a NYS resident at the time, I was unable to use those points. My original list number was 3xx. When I was initially contacted by my investigator, he advised me that my list number would change, which it did, and I went down 2100 spots on the list and had an adjusted list number of xxxx.5

So you don't just change from eg; 111.0 to 111.5
    We will see significant changes to placement on the list.
    And believe me, they will be looking very closely at the resident paperwork.
    So they didn't let you use the veterans credit as well because you weren't a resident? or did they only deduct the residency credit?

Edit1: I just went over to the DCAS website and read over the requirements to be able to use the Veterans credit. It says one has to be a resident of NYS by the time of appointment. So what im taking from this is that as long as i become a resident of NY by the time of appointment i should be good to go.

I have been loosing some sleep over the residency/veteran credit deal. I joined the military in 2007 and my contract should be over by 2013. I marked both resident/veteran credit. I asked the lady when i took the test if i could do this and she said that she "believed" that if I joined the military from NYS that I should be able to take residency credit. I had a NYS DL before and switched to the state where I live at right now. Im now in the process of switching it back to NYS. I would hate to not be credited the resident/veteran credit due to all this.
    Last edited by mannyjay; 11-05-2012 at 03:39 PM.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=FDNYorDIETRYIN;1346934]Saw a post earlier about schooling/moving up the ranks... once one gets on the job, is education related to fire really looked at when it comes to moving up through the ranks? Before you answer, yes; obviously a lieutenant test has to be taken. Yes, character and reputation are huge. But besides those, how much of a difference does going to to school for a subject related to fire make?[/QUOTE

They hire and promote in rank order. It will probably help you do better on promo tests in the future because you are more knowledgeable about fire, but you wont get credit for it any more than some one who has english credits. You need some credits to be promoted so it will help there.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 11-05-2012 at 05:26 PM.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    ah I was under the impression if you failed something they told you right there, but it sounds like that's not the case. Even for the stairs? You could fail that and not know immediately?
    You would immediately know, because they have the formula right there, but I think ultimately this all gets discussed with the doctor. You do all the tests and then they review the results of them and give the final sign off. I'm speaking from past experiences having done the EMS medical and our annual physicals, still haven't done the FF medical yet.

Thread Information