Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 209 of 1197 FirstFirst ... 109159199206207208209210211212219259309709 ... LastLast
Results 4,161 to 4,180 of 23930
Like Tree9375Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Hi guys,
    Hope everyone is running and training.
    So Ive been working on getting my 1.5 mile down. Did it in 11:34 today which is the lowest ever, however, after the 1.5 I felt I was going to die. Does the academy expect you to do it and keep your heart rate down as well? Or is it simply do it no matter what?
    A lil nervous about 4 mile runs. Someone even mentioned a 7 min run earlier in this forum? (jesus xmas). Good luck everyone.
    Dannyvale likes this.
    Test: 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 8XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by knicksh2o View Post
    Hi guys,
    So Ive been working on getting my 1.5 mile down. Did it in 11:34 today which is the lowest ever, however, after the 1.5 I felt I was going to die. Does the academy expect you to do it and keep your heart rate down as well? Or is it simply do it no matter what?
    A lil nervous about 4 mile runs. Someone even mentioned a 7 min run earlier in this forum? (jesus xmas). Good luck everyone.
    the only time they monitor your heart rate is on the stairs during the medical.
    Dannyvale likes this.

Forum Member

Hi guys,
    It doesn't matter what your heart rate is except during the stairmaster. But the more you run the lower it will get anyways.
    Dannyvale likes this.
    exam 2000
    list #2**
    score 105

Forum Member

Been lurking since taking the test, great info here fellas. Patiently waiting until I get the call and hopefully be done with my Chemical Engineering degree by that time. Signature is not showing up so:
    Score: 99
    List #: 38xx
    Last edited by petrole; 10-11-2012 at 02:16 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Stop feeding into the controversy. It's stupid to smoke pot if OTJ because the department has a zero tolerance policy combined with randomized testing, HOWEVER, I think you're delusional if you actually think pot is a more insidious drug than alcohol.

snoozer1989: It is urinalysis. I don't know what they hit besides the obvious big ones.

mrjon: Anyone that checked off "resident" during the testing was given credit. When they are called to begin the process they will have to provide the supporting documentation to candidate investigations. I can only assume that if they do not have said documents their score will be adjusted and they will be sent packing.
    Feeding into what controversy? This hunk of **** is 1 of the reasons why alot of us are sitting here with our jocks in our hand. Take a ****ing hike if you even waste 1 breath defending this guy or his actions. I'm in no position to be judging the rules and regulations of the FDNY, HOWEVER I will judge this guy. I wouldn't be stupid enough to pull that **** in my 20s nevermind when I'm 45 yrs old.
    My1Goal and rcfd31 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    Feeding into what controversy? This hunk of **** is 1 of the reasons why alot of us are sitting here with our jocks in our hand. Take a ****ing hike if you even waste 1 breath defending this guy or his actions. I'm in no position to be judging the rules and regulations of the FDNY, HOWEVER I will judge this guy. I wouldn't be stupid enough to pull that **** in my 20s nevermind when I'm 45 yrs old.
    I am not defending him, I'm criticizing a zero tolerance policy on mundane drugs. Even if I wanted to defend him there's no point. Unless they stray from past practices with him he will be forced to resign in lieu of termination, or be terminated after a year long battle to try and keep his job.
    TomFromQueens likes this.

Forum Member

Hi guys,
    As long as you finish that's all that matters, but if you keep practicing it will get easier and easier. Also look up interval training, that will help your endurance improve. If you want to get used to distance then just get used to running at a comfortable pace and keep pushing yourself farther. They've told us that they may change things up this time around and instead of doing super long runs they will go shorter and faster, but regardless it's all the same. Once you can do a 5k easily it shouldn't be that much of a stretch to do 5 miles, and once you can do 5 miles easily another 2-3 is not that big of a deal. Obviously at those distances keeping a <8min/mile pace is absurd.
    Dannyvale likes this.

Forum Member

I am not defending him, I'm criticizing a zero tolerance policy on mundane drugs. Even if I wanted to defend him there's no point. Unless they stray from past practices with him he will be forced to resign in lieu of termination, or be terminated after a year long battle to try and keep his job.
    In this economy, I normally wouldn't say this....but good ****ing riddance.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FD_hellsgates_wannabe View Post
    how you all doing? brand new to the forum, been paranoid since the day i got my results. i got a 97 without extra points and im sitting in the mid 67xx range. What does everyone think the odds of me being called are? ive ran 6 miles a day for about a month now, as well as basicly duplicate the cpat in my back yard using an old hoseline filled with sand and a tire filled with cement. as well as buying back an old set of turnout gear from my volly house to do all the workouts in. the rest of the process wont be a problem ( not saying it will be easy, just that im prepared. so what do you guys think the odds of 67xx being reached are? im from an fdny family so ive been biting my nails since they announced the test. thanks!
    I have a 98 and am only a few hundred in front of you.

Forum Member

As long as you finish that's all that matters, but if you keep practicing it will get easier and easier. Also look up interval training, that will help your endurance improve. If you want to get used to distance then just get used to running at a comfortable pace and keep pushing yourself farther. They've told us that they may change things up this time around and instead of doing super long runs they will go shorter and faster, but regardless it's all the same. Once you can do a 5k easily it shouldn't be that much of a stretch to do 5 miles, and once you can do 5 miles easily another 2-3 is not that big of a deal. Obviously at those distances keeping a <8min/mile pace is absurd.
    Thx for the answers from everyone. Yeah I guess the biggest hurdle is that last bit of info on 8 min mile. I can prob push 3 miles at that rate but after that, as you have stated, its absurd. I've been lifting all my life and I am starting to think about quitting to lose a good 10 15 pounds of muscle. I think it will ease a lot of pressure off my joints and of course my lungs.
    Score: 102
    List: 8XX

Forum Member

I'm at 12 ish min the 1.5.... My list number just give me more time to master that ... And if my number is ever called I would be on spartan mode ... Not like some dude mention before to don't worry about training .... If I can take his spot so I can show him how things get done !!!!!!

Forum Member

I'm sure this is a redundant question but I'm going ask anyway... Realistically speaking, what are chances of me getting on with a grade of 97 along list # 86##...
    Exam: 2000
    Grade: 97
    List#: 86##
    There is hope!

Forum Member

Thx for the answers from everyone. Yeah I guess the biggest hurdle is that last bit of info on 8 min mile. I can prob push 3 miles at that rate but after that, as you have stated, its absurd. I've been lifting all my life and I am starting to think about quitting to lose a good 10 15 pounds of muscle. I think it will ease a lot of pressure off my joints and of course my lungs.
    Leaving the weights for a bit definitely helps !! It helped me out ... I used to hit straight weights until I started training for the the FD ... Pull-ups, push-up, dips ... Very light weight , cycling , running is all I do now ... Those extra less pounds help you be more flexible

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by skeetz111 View Post
    I'm sure this is a redundant question but I'm going ask anyway... Realistically speaking, what are chances of me getting on with a grade of 97 along list # 86##...
    Only time can tell. Keep training and preparing like they could call you tommorrow. You don't want to be sitting around doing nothing but being lazy and get a call in 3 years and not be prepared.
    Dannyvale likes this.
    Exam 2000
    List # 7X
    Score 107

"But, the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Forum Member

I heard Fire commissioner Cassano's kid is in the FDNY EMS class going in now. Those are signs for some of you who are still young enough to go the EMS route. Good luck all.
    Dannyvale likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zachryw2001 View Post
    Only time can tell. Keep training and preparing like they could call you tommorrow. You don't want to be sitting around doing nothing but being lazy and get a call in 3 years and not be prepared.
    That's what I plan on doing... Just a bought a 50lb weight vest as well from craigslist... I wanna ace the physical and hope the academy will be a breeze if in good shape... Thx
    Exam: 2000
    Grade: 97
    List#: 86##
    There is hope!

Forum Member

You don't have to quit the weights, but the focus should be cardio cardio cardio and calesthenics. Ya wanna know what the heaviest weight is that's lifted during PT in the academy? 10# dumbbells (this was advice straight from a CPAT instructor).
    pdtofd2000 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by snoozer1989 View Post
    Some people better hope it is just a urinalysis test rather than a hair follicle test. I remember one kid came in to take his drug test for the union a couple years back. He was completely shaved from head to toe...the director of the apprenticeship program looked at him and said "Well you're out of the program. See you later."
    Thats ridiculous, what union? I shave my head and my body. I had to take a hair drug test before for PD and they told me to come back in 3 weeks with my chest hair grown out. I did and passed.
    I know for a fact that if you shave your body and You are already a cop, PD will make you urinate on the spot and its not a problem.
    Anyway, some Blacks claim that hair testing is racist because they claim the thickness of their hair holds the drug information longer. PD had an issue with this, but they are too strong and were able to go ahead with hair testing. They supposedly go back 4 months on hair testing for PD

I would imagine a lot of people are gonna fail for pot, I know 2 people already who failed those tests, One for EMS and one for PD and they are both on this list. I hope the urine test catches them again.
    Dannyvale likes this.

Forum Member

They should use any length hair for any length time. So while taking the test an applicant thinks: "Yea, 6 months ago I smoked pot, caught my stove on fire while making mac'n'cheese, put it out and thought 'Dude, I'd make a great fire man.'"

This guy gets to be a firefighter in the greatest city on earth? I get maybe five years ago but if you were seriously doping 6 months ago, you're not ready for this job.

Sorry for the rant. I'm probably talking too much for a guy with my list number lol
    Score: 98
    List Number: 60**

Forum Member

Good stuff man keep it up!

In my experience running 2-3 miles everyday was not nearly as helpful for me as running 6 miles twice a week. Something about forcing your body through those extra few miles in one shot really boosted my cardio and leg strength more. I am not at all a personal trainer and each individual's body type will work better with different systems but here's what I'm working with now that seems to be good for me.

Run 6 miles once a week (obviously I has to work up to this)

Bike 25-30 miles once a week (replaced my 2nd 6 mile run day with this. Just as good for leg strength and cardio but gives your knees a break)

Upper body once a week: I quit my gym back in April because being able to bench and skull crunch a ton wont help you much in the academy and I wanted to get lighter and leaner.

Crunches, bicycle sit ups, leg lifts.

Push ups (till my arms go numb)

Pull ups (till I fall off the bar, my grip gives out before my arms and back do)

Chin ups (see pull ups)

Dips

Curls (the only vanity work out I do haha but it might be helpful)

Everything is super high repetition till exhaustion for one set.

As you can tell that's only three days a week but I'm happy with my strength levels and mile times.

Other peeps out there let me know what works for you.
    List # 12XX

Thread Information