Like Tree9874Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nycthirteen View Post
    Small world - I'm sure I'll see you around. Where are you on the list? If anyone else is projected to be in the first class or two, not a bad idea to get a group together...
    For sure man I just messaged you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYlist2000 View Post
    I've been lurking around this thread for quite sometime now, and just wanted to say that you guys have been very informative so far.

Maybe this has already been asked and answered, and if so i apologize for the repeat, but i could not find the answer. Can someone please post all of the tests from the medical evaluation and the passing ranges of these tests?
    Someone else just recently posted a list of what the tests are, nobody is going to be able to tell you what 'passing' is. The big thing definitely seems to be the stairmaster/heart rate test, but other than that it kinda depends on your medical history and the doctor there.

People who fail the stairmaster/heart rate test get a second chance a month later, so everyone who has failed that is not out of the running yet.

e: Breathing control: Regardless of level of fitness, your ability to regulate your breathing while doing the stairs will help keep your heart rate in check. It all has to do with the vagus nerve and the parasympathetic nervous system. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vagus_nerve
    Last edited by Manhattan Medic; 11-06-2012 at 05:00 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Someone else just recently posted a list of what the tests are, nobody is going to be able to tell you what 'passing' is. The big thing definitely seems to be the stairmaster/heart rate test, but other than that it kinda depends on your medical history and the doctor there.

People who fail the stairmaster/heart rate test get a second chance a month later, so everyone who has failed that is not out of the running yet.

e: Breathing control: Regardless of level of fitness, your ability to regulate your breathing while doing the stairs will help keep your heart rate in check. It all has to do with the vagus nerve and the parasympathetic nervous system. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vagus_nerve
    Thanks man, appreciate it. Been working out like crazy and would hate to miss an opportunity because of something I could control. I am gonna have to start monitoring my heart rate. Whats the time and load weight on the stairmaster? Same 3:20 with 75 lbs as the standard, or is it something different? Hoping to make it all easy for myself, hate for it all to come down to vagal maneuvers. Lastly, does it look like the first 2 academies will be all promotions? I only ask, because I'm 7XX, and will be deployed till nov. 2013. I was told they would hold my spot for me, but was hoping the timeline would work out none the less.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    It's called the Vagel Maneuver. You take a breath, hold it and bear down just a little. I think ManhattanMedic covered it before.
    I actually did it once on a stress test (treadmill, strapped to an EKG), the doctor was watching the EKG when I did it and saw my HR drop before his eyes a good 10-20 beats. He said, "What the...?"

I laughed a little and said, "Oh, that was me."
    I passed.

Guys, sprint intervals are a great tool for getting your HR down as well. Check out Men's Health and Runner's World for some good articles on it. I used to do 10, 40yd sprints on my non distance/time running days. Sprint 40 yards, walk back, sprint again, repeat. Trust me, it works well and you'll feel it.
    that seems similar to the valsalva maneuver, used to protect the spine during weight lifting. mark rippetoe explains it well. I thought it raised blood pressure thou

http://www.myweightlifting.com/valsalva-maneuver.html
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYlist2000 View Post
    I was reading the same thing about being a resident and keeping my vet points. My interpretation was the same as yours, in that as long as I'm a resident by the time of appointment my Vet points would still stand. As far as residency is concerned, by law, I was considered a resident of whatever my home of record was in my SRB. It was easy for me to show since I maintained a DL from that state, and paid state taxes until recently. However, once my DL was changed and I stopped paying taxes, I don't think I was considered a resident of my home state anymore. No idea how they would work that out for you, but it is an interesting question. I wish you the best though man.
    wow dude, its a bit comforting that someone else is in the same situation as I am. Thanks for the valuable input. My advice to you is to get your NYS DL as soon as possible if you havent done so. Also, try to get a letter notarized from the landlord where you used to live in NYC.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SirEd View Post
    I am planning my future right now and I am wondering if someone can give their best opinion on when smoeone with a list number of 2400 would be called to start their medical or CPAT. I know nobody knows but if you can give me your best estimate.
    Best case scenario is sometime next summer. But if you dont make that upcoming November class than someone with your score should be up for the following class fo sure. So yeah I would say your process may start anywhere from next summer to next christmas.
    Test: 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 8XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by knicksh2o View Post
    Best case scenario is sometime next summer. But if you dont make that upcoming November class than someone with your score should be up for the following class fo sure. So yeah I would say your process may start anywhere from next summer to next christmas.
    Do you mean one X-mas after this upcoming one?
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

when do we find out if the are putting through the "priority hires" also what about the appeals court
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    when do we find out if the are putting through the "priority hires" also what about the appeals court
    Sometime in the next few months is what I've been heard. I imagine they'd have to come to some sort of decision before they start to process the June class, since that would be either the POS priority hires or us.

I google any news on the appeal daily haha, nothing new about it for like 6 months.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    Sometime in the next few months is what I've been heard. I imagine they'd have to come to some sort of decision before they start to process the June class, since that would be either the POS priority hires or us.

I google any news on the appeal daily haha, nothing new about it for like 6 months.
    Just a heads up, as soon as it's out, the opinion will be up here:

http://www.ca2.uscourts.gov/opinions.htm.

Forum Member

Do you mean one X-mas after this upcoming one?
    Yeap xmas 2013, not this one.

I just figured he has a 2400 list so he is probably 3 OC classes out. That one should begin around Feb or March 2014. Thats just my guess.

Forum Member

I would love to see video of these people and maybe see them get interviewed on TV so the world can see what a 25 sounds like.
    vekdoggs75 and FdnytolifeE293 like this.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post

I hope your wrong lol

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    Just a heads up, as soon as it's out, the opinion will be up here:

http://www.ca2.uscourts.gov/opinions.htm.
    Yup, thats one of the sites I check pretty regularly. Also in that site, the calendar section is pretty useful as it might be our first heads up when they plan to rule on this.

http://www.ca2.uscourts.gov/calendars.htm
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

Yeap xmas 2013, not this one.

I just figured he has a 2400 list so he is probably 3 OC classes out. That one should begin around Feb or March 2014. Thats just my guess.
    How many classes total? 8?
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

I think once the first class or 2 go through we will have a good idea about when those of us further down the list will be called..after the first class goes through the ratio should grow due to people moving on, losing intrest etc. first list should be 1-3, but by the 3rd or 4th class should be like 1-4 or 1-5. But to make a guess now would be a little too soon..
    knicksh2o likes this.

Forum Member

I hope your wrong lol
    I would love to take a gander at these "293" fellas

Forum Member

How many classes total? 8?
    Oh I have no clue lol. Should be atleast 8 though if they want to hire 2400

Forum Member

so classes are gonna be 6 months.
    Does any one think they will start using 5 men again?
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

so classes are gonna be 6 months.
    Does any one think they will start using 5 men again?
    Classes are going to be 20 weeks.

Reviving the 5th man would be amazing for people towards the bottom of the eligible range, since that would greatly increase their staffing needs. HOWEVER, I think it's something that has to be negotiated between the city and the union.

Forum Member

Crazy to think after all this time since the first 6019 class that its still gonna take so long to get the ball rolling.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Crazy to think after all this time since the first 6019 class that its still gonna take so long to get the ball rolling.
    Pretty sure that's why they started processing 2500 before they even released the results. The city is slow in these kinds of things, even when it's trying to move quickly. Honestly they could process a million people in 1-2 months if it wasn't for the CPAT training program that they have to offer. It's a process though to do that, and everything else for nearly 1000 people.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Pretty sure that's why they started processing 2500 before they even released the results. The city is slow in these kinds of things, even when it's trying to move quickly. Honestly they could process a million people in 1-2 months if it wasn't for the CPAT training program that they have to offer. It's a process though to do that, and everything else for nearly 1000 people.

Are they offering the training program on various days and times this go around again? My schedule is *** backwards these days...

Forum Member

whats up everybody I have a question about the whole proof of residency thing... It says you need 12 months worth of bills (gas, cable, electric etc.) prior to July 1st 2011... But none of those bills are in my name... Does that matter or no? Anybody know how that works? I scored pretty well but I would hate to see those points go
    Last edited by WTRBG; 11-08-2012 at 08:28 AM. Reason: adding something

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    Are they offering the training program on various days and times this go around again? My schedule is *** backwards these days...
    You mean the CPAT training?

Thread Information