Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 212 of 1018 FirstFirst ... 112162202209210211212213214215222262312712 ... LastLast
Results 4,221 to 4,240 of 20350
Like Tree7732Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mocon337 View Post
    Yea I started with a 5x5 heavy lifting workout about a year back. This with running worked like a charm as far as getting stronger/more fit, but as the weight goes up so does the potential for injury. With Crossfit they'd be able to help me with technique and stuff, as well as overall fitness. Problem is I'm still a student and I'm as broke as a joke. Are there any cheaper alternatives?
    I've yet to join a cf gym also too expensive but I just hopped into it on my own at my own gym and at home when doable. Invest in a pull-up bar and a jump rope. There are acceptable substitutions for equipment u do not have I.E. rope climbs. I'll give u an example of one u can do anywhere try it today instead of your normal workout and time yourself set a time and try and beat it that's your motivation . So 100 pull-ups 100 push-ups 100 sit-ups and 100 squats time yourself good luck
    FDNYPD and mocon337 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by frankp88 View Post
    I've yet to join a cf gym also too expensive but I just hopped into it on my own at my own gym and at home when doable. Invest in a pull-up bar and a jump rope. There are acceptable substitutions for equipment u do not have I.E. rope climbs. I'll give u an example of one u can do anywhere try it today instead of your normal workout and time yourself set a time and try and beat it that's your motivation . So 100 pull-ups 100 push-ups 100 sit-ups and 100 squats time yourself good luck
    Thanks man. I'm gonna try it as soon as I get outta work today. I think I find myself worrying too much about the little things and not about the whole big picture. (ie whatever you're doing, be consistent with it and the result will be a higher level of fitness.)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    You got a problem?!

http://i.imgur.com/cjWAf.gif
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    What do you mean by got a problem?
    What he is doing is awesome, but you realize he is not in lumbar extension. It is very rare to be able to do that with out herniating a disc. I would imagine that even he would herniate one with more weight. That convo is for a different forum thou. But if it works for you then go for it.

I was just joking around there, sailor...

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYPD View Post
    On that note, get a good form base. Too many chuckleheads start Crossfit and try to keep up the with the tempo. Make sure your have your form before you start throwing weights around, in any fitness program. Buy a trainer if you have to. Did you watch that .gif of the guy rolling around with a bar and his back arched the whole time? Bad form. Really, really bad form.

http://i.imgur.com/nJ1Rc.jpg

Hahaha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=BDDyxXyf6UU

Forum Member

CrossFit is about more than push presses, running 400 meters, rowing 500m, push-ups, sit-ups etc. Anybody who is not a total gym rat and has no life besides working and working out will tell you that the most difficult part of training is actually getting yourself to train. Not everybody enjoys training.

The one thing CrossFit will do, is help you achieve goals on a daily basis, which in turn keeps you wanting more. You will spend most of your time anxiously awaiting the next WOD not dreading the next time you have to wait for a machine.

Once again for anybody thinking about doing it who has the means to do it, just do it. It will change your life and it will help you obtain your goal of becoming a firefighter. Its no wonder that any CrossFit gym you walk into in the 5 boros or LI will have many members who are already FDNY firefighters.
    HopefulFF and frankp88 like this.

Forum Member

To the guys thinking about getting started with crossfit, I would have to agree with what has been said in regards to taking it slow and developing a base to work from. Learn about the important movements and understand the correct form (Squats, Deadlifts, KB swings, etc.). Check out this guy's website, http://www.mobilitywod.com/, he's a physical therapist who specializes in cultivating maximum human performance, use his website to figure out what mobility issues you have before you jump into the high intensity work. Also,use common sense when it comes to this stuff. Don't blindly follow the crossfit wods, if you see something that seems sketchy;don't do it. Try to avoid the high rep Olympic lifts that they sometimes use for conditioning as well as the sumo deadlift high pulls which wreak havoc on the shoulder joint. I personally use "crossfit style" workouts for metabolic conditioning as well as 5x5 for my strength training. Since I have a long wait before I will be called,I am focusing on developing strength, as I get closer in the next couple of years, I will transition to higher amounts of running and lightweight high rep movements to prepare for the academy.
    Exam 2000
    Score: 99
    List #:4xxx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    CrossFit is about more than push presses, running 400 meters, rowing 500m, push-ups, sit-ups etc. Anybody who is not a total gym rat and has no life besides working and working out will tell you that the most difficult part of training is actually getting yourself to train. Not everybody enjoys training.

The one thing CrossFit will do, is help you achieve goals on a daily basis, which in turn keeps you wanting more. You will spend most of your time anxiously awaiting the next WOD not dreading the next time you have to wait for a machine.

Once again for anybody thinking about doing it who has the means to do it, just do it. It will change your life and it will help you obtain your goal of becoming a firefighter. Its no wonder that any CrossFit gym you walk into in the 5 boros or LI will have many members who are already FDNY firefighters.

I also find this type of training to be more practical in real life. So much of what I'd do at traditional gyms would leave me saying "great, but how do I apply this to anything outside of the gym?"
    GIMMEFIRE600 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkjets75 View Post
    To the guys thinking about getting started with crossfit, I would have to agree with what has been said in regards to taking it slow and developing a base to work from. Learn about the important movements and understand the correct form (Squats, Deadlifts, KB swings, etc.). Check out this guy's website, http://www.mobilitywod.com/, he's a physical therapist who specializes in cultivating maximum human performance, use his website to figure out what mobility issues you have before you jump into the high intensity work. Also,use common sense when it comes to this stuff. Don't blindly follow the crossfit wods, if you see something that seems sketchy;don't do it. Try to avoid the high rep Olympic lifts that they sometimes use for conditioning as well as the sumo deadlift high pulls which wreak havoc on the shoulder joint. I personally use "crossfit style" workouts for metabolic conditioning as well as 5x5 for my strength training. Since I have a long wait before I will be called,I am focusing on developing strength, as I get closer in the next couple of years, I will transition to higher amounts of running and lightweight high rep movements to prepare for the academy.
    Yea that's a big dilemma of mine. Do I develop more strength with a 5x5 workout still or focus on the conditioning more so? I'm still kind of young too, so I worry that my strength may not be up to par with "grown *** men" when the time comes to be tested.

Forum Member

Yea that's a big dilemma of mine. Do I develop more strength with a 5x5 workout still or focus on the conditioning more so? I'm still kind of young too, so I worry that my strength may not be up to par with "grown *** men" when the time comes to be tested.
    Both. A lot of people do strength before metcons consistently.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYPD View Post
    On that note, get a good form base. Too many chuckleheads start Crossfit and try to keep up the with the tempo. Make sure your have your form before you start throwing weights around, in any fitness program. Buy a trainer if you have to. Did you watch that .gif of the guy rolling around with a bar and his back arched the whole time? Bad form. Really, really bad form.

http://i.imgur.com/nJ1Rc.jpg
    Ugh, I recognize this series. It was at Albany Crossfit, and the sad part is that it apparently is some sort of actual lift, it's just an extremely obscure and difficult to do lift, that has no real use in such a setting. The box that I belong to is great, they emphasize proper form and technique over everything else... but as others have said it is prohibitively expensive, even with the uniformed services discount that my gym offers.

Most dudes focus too much on strength, I'm sure adding some more strength won't hurt you, but endurance is far more important during the prehire stuff (can't say I'm an expert on the academy, obviously).
    Last edited by Manhattan Medic; 10-12-2012 at 12:15 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by skeetz111 View Post
    You wanna pass the physical and wing the academy... One word for ya CROSSFIT... insane workouts...
    Join one of the their boxes aka gyms and you will see for urself... No b.s workout and it's only 20-30 workouts...
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    Too early?? It's never to early to change your life. Which is exactly what CrossFit will do.

Don't listen to brooklynborn about injuries. You can get injured walking down the street. Not to mention, the worst injuries I have seen while training are people in globo-gyms who don't have the proper technique on even the simplest lifts.

Just do it. I promise you, you won't regret it.
    I couldnt agree more with GIMMEFIRE...

Crossfit is an amazing workout if you can handle it... I must tell you though, this is not something you will learn overnight... Its hardwork... And yes you could injured doing the workouts but you can also get injured running on a track... My suggestion is to visiti a few boxes and see what type of trainers are available during your availability... See what type of experience they have... You want someone who teach you and mentor you... which most of them will... I know south brooklyn has an amazing facility... if your clsoe by there check them out... they are one of the originals with fantastic trainers...
    Exam: 2000
    Grade: 97
    List#: 86##
    There is hope!

Forum Member

So the clock starts ticking on the list around january?
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    You got a problem?!

http://i.imgur.com/cjWAf.gif
    lmao, but seriously that vid was on a loop. I seen the ultimate muscle heads fail the CPAT and were done. By the looks of it you can definitely get hurt doing what you were doing.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    So the clock starts ticking on the list around january?
    The clock starts ticking the moment the Civil Service Commission approves the list. It has nothing to do with when they hire. If the city published the list, I'm going to assume the clock has started ticking. Either way, it's far too early to worry about the clock. There isn't anyone here from list 2000 who will be seeing the inside of the Proby's locker room at the rock for 9+ months. Some of you reading this thread could be waiting years. That's not to be pessimistic, it's remind you that this process is painfully slow. No sprinting here fella's, it's a marathon.

Use the excitement of the job possibility to keep you motivated at the gym and what not, but keep doing whatever you've been doing with your life. School, work, travel or whatever. You won't know anything until it arrives in your mail box. By all means, read the forums, keep your finger on the pulse, but don't drive yourselves crazy. There's a lot that has to happen before they begin to hire from the O.C. next Spring/Summer. As for all of this ratio talk; nothing can really be learned until the first 2 classes from the O.C. list are hired. Then you'll see how many took the job in the first class and then how many who were passed over, differed or failed that first class come back for a second round.

Keep working steadily....things are rolling along, just slowly.
    FDNYPD, Ladders 4 and pdtofd2000 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by firewrestle View Post
    I'm a full-timer for a FD in the Chicagoland area. I scored a 97 on exam 2000 with no pref points. I'm expecting to get an offer 3-4 years from now but my question is in regards to residency. When should I go about getting an apartment in NYC? Can I wait until I receive an offer? Or do they want you to already be an NYC resident?
    I'd say wait until your wrapping everything up. Once you start the process keep in contact with your investigator and while they most likely won't say "Ok, they are gonna call you in 3 weeks move here now." You will probably be able to figure out how close you are. Depending on your bank roll and how confident you are that they will be telling you to report to the rock, you can move when you want. I am not otj but from what hear you may get a heads up a month out or you may likely get a call before the weekend to report on Monday, but those who had that happen to them were mostly locals I think. Keep some money in the bank, its expensive as crap here and the last thing you want to be doing is stressing about bills when your in the academy and a part time job will be impossible.

Forum Member

Does anyone know the shelf life of the list once created? Four years?
    Test: 2000
    Score: 98
    List Number: 60**

Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

Guys, go to the FDNY website where they have the link for the list#'s. look for this,http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/pdf/job...od_conduct.pdf
    Test 2000
    Score 97
    List#700X
    Do I stand a chance?

I will not tire, I will not falter, and I will not fail!!!

Forum Member

I highly recommend Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 Program. It is a very simple and effective strength program that is very flexible.

The focus is on: Back Squat, Deadlift, Bench Press, and the Overhead Press. Optional:Power Clean or Clean and Jerk. On a 3 week cycle: 65,75,85% Week 1, 70,80,90% Week 2, 75,85,95% Week 3, Week 4 deload. Firefighters need power-endurance as the main energy system, and the best way to improving this is strength training. A guy who can deadlift 300 pounds vs. a guy who can deadlift 200 pounds, the 300 pound guy will get more reps of a 150 pound deadlift. The stronger you are, the more efficient and "easy" things will be( in conjunction with conditioning).

Assistance exercises(my rec's): 5 x 10 of the 4 main lifts @ 50-70%, Front Squats, Dumbbell Rows, Romanian Deadlifts, Barbell Curls/Hammer Curls, Tricep pushdowns/extensions, Face Pulls, Front and Side shoulder raises, Weighted Dips, Pullups/Lat Pulldowns, Heavy Farmer's Walks, Bulgarian Split Squats

Conditioning(my rec's for firefighters): Heavy and moderate sled/tire dragging forwards and backwards, Sledgehammer and Tire, High Rep Kettlebell Swings/Snatches, Stair Climbing, Battle Ropes plus Bodyweight circuits(You can't go heavy and hard all the time! That will lead to burnout/stalling), Lifting and carrying sandbags, 5k's(no reason to go long distances), Sprints/Uphill sprints/Suicides, Barbell Complexes(bloody hell), swimming and light jogging/incline walking for active recovery,rest, etc.

Optional: Yoga and Meditation. If its good enough for Paddy Brown then its good enough for you.

Don't let the functional fitness gurus tell you that isolation exercises are useless. Remember your body is a chain, a weak link and it will fail or over/under compensate nearby and adjacent muscles leading to injury/pain.

Even the barbell curl, yes it is what all the bros do in the gym but look at it from this perspective: bodybuilding=prehab work, increase strength in overhead and horizontal stabilization(firefighters need both), prevent elbow joint pain, increase pulling endurance because the smaller muscles will fail first, and hypertrophy. Look at your body as a whole.

The problem is people focusing on the isolation/bodybuilding exercises, instead of putting powerlifting/olympic weightlifting as the priority core exercises, and not doing assistance exercises that makes sense(front squats, dumbbell rows, etc.).

You need routine and you need specificity as a firefighter. No need to pay $$$ to workout with a bunch of yuppies who think they are bad ***, or do a one size fits all workout that is the same for a housewife or a soldier(what an insult btw), or a routine that has no programming or poor programming,
    or has you do exercises that are not relevant to what a firefighter does or needs, or a "program" that places a very high use of the shoulder both direct and indirectly, or doing a clusterfuk of exercises and giving it a female name, or do high reps of exercises that only reinforces poor form. Yeah I am talking to Greg Glassman(Broscientist) and CrossFit.

Use your analytical head, and keep it simple and do stuff that makes sense, and liberate yourself from the functional fitness gurus and bench-curl jocks who both spout their broscience and ignorance.

Best way to use this 5/3/1 program is on a 2 Day Split:

Monday: Squat and Bench Press. Assistance. Conditioning. Mobility/Stretch.
    Friday: Deadlift, and Overhead Press. Assistance. Conditioning. Mobility/Stretch.
    The days in between can be used for conditioning, just no hard conditioning the day before your lifts. Again, you can't go hard everyday, every strength and conditioning coach can tell you that.

That's it, and follows KISS principle.

My hope that fire academies change their fitness programs. Endless miles of running and endless reps of bodyweight exercises will only make you weaker. Barbells, and kettlebells can be costly, but maybe fire academies can use some very cheap and low cost items for what I call "Strongman" conditioning. Dragging heavy and moderate weight tires(tires can be obtain for free at shops) forward and backward, pulling in hand over hand the tires, swinging a sledgehammer on the tire, lifting and carry sandbags, etc. Glad to see that the FDNY does the FST once a week, a step towards the right direction.

Good luck on your training, keep it simple, keep it balanced, use your head, listen to your body, EAT, push yourself, REST, and go kick *** and become the strongest AND most conditioned fireman you can ever be.

Forum Member

I did 5/3/1 for a while as well. It's a good program because if you are stuck at a plateu it'll help you get past it, it's just a very slow and methodical way of training. What really helps simplify it is using a premade spreadsheet like what I've linked below. Part of why I liked it was that all I had to do was plug in 4 #s at the start of the month and my workouts were set automatically. That said, it neglects endurance training, which should be a primary focus for most.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...6650493&page=1

Forum Member

Anybody know what type of violations will disqualify someone from the fire department? Could a public urination cause any problems in the hiring process?

Forum Member

What did you get for it? ticket? summons?

As a broad rule, I think they're fine with minor stuff, the most important thing about candidate investigations is DON'T LIE AND DISCLOSE ANYTHING/EVERYTHING LIKE THAT. Public urination probably won't torpedo your shot, but not disclosing it and them then finding it on your record will, because you lied.

Not too hard, right?

Thread Information