Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 213 of 1157 FirstFirst ... 113163203210211212213214215216223263313713 ... LastLast
Results 4,241 to 4,260 of 23127
Like Tree9073Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    I did 5/3/1 for a while as well. It's a good program because if you are stuck at a plateu it'll help you get past it, it's just a very slow and methodical way of training. What really helps simplify it is using a premade spreadsheet like what I've linked below. Part of why I liked it was that all I had to do was plug in 4 #s at the start of the month and my workouts were set automatically. That said, it neglects endurance training, which should be a primary focus for most.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...6650493&page=1
    I don't where you got your info, but 5/3/1 can be programmed with endurance. I just outlined a 2 day training, where endurance(I prefer conditioning) can be used. This is why this program,IMO is better, while other strength programs do not allow endurance training in their program.

It is slow and methodical, and what is wrong with that? Strength is a skill and is a marathon, it takes years to develop, while endurance can be trained for in less than a year. The program is like that to prevent stalling. It is meant to be run for extended time(> 1 year)

Strength and Endurance, go hand in hand, in developing strength/power-endurance. To increase power-endurance, we need to increase strength. We can agree on that the primary energy system firefighter needs is power-endurance?

The stronger you are, the easier and more efficient everything will be for you, with respect to your cardio/conditioning.

That said, preparing physically for an academy is completely different from being a firefighter out of the academy. With a 2 Day Split, it is perfect for those who are preparing to enter an academy. The extra strength in your quads, hamstrings, and upper body, will give your body a little more power in your runs(even endurance runners program in strength training or hill sprints) and whats pushups when you can rep put weighted dips.

Thanks for the spreadsheet! You sound like a workout nut! Awesome.

Forum Member

slow and methodical can be tough to stick to for those of us that have ADD when it comes to things like this. I'm far from a nut, just someone that enjoys deadlifts, squats and olympic lifts.

Forum Member

it was a summons

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mky915 View Post
    I don't where you got your info, but 5/3/1 can be programmed with endurance. I just outlined a 2 day training, where endurance(I prefer conditioning) can be used. This is why this program,IMO is better, while other strength programs do not allow endurance training in their program.

It is slow and methodical, and what is wrong with that? Strength is a skill and is a marathon, it takes years to develop, while endurance can be trained for in less than a year. The program is like that to prevent stalling. It is meant to be run for extended time(> 1 year)

Strength and Endurance, go hand in hand, in developing strength/power-endurance. To increase power-endurance, we need to increase strength. We can agree on that the primary energy system firefighter needs is power-endurance?

The stronger you are, the easier and more efficient everything will be for you, with respect to your cardio/conditioning.

That said, preparing physically for an academy is completely different from being a firefighter out of the academy. With a 2 Day Split, it is perfect for those who are preparing to enter an academy. The extra strength in your quads, hamstrings, and upper body, will give your body a little more power in your runs(even endurance runners program in strength training or hill sprints) and whats pushups when you can rep put weighted dips.

Thanks for the spreadsheet! You sound like a workout nut! Awesome.
    Can you give an example of what a week would look like? I also don't understand your second paragraph? good info

I can dead lift all day but as soon as I start squatting again, I end up going too low or off center and I tweak my back for a weak or two. I have my own rogue westside style rack, but I don't squat in it often because the floor is slanted. I have bumper plates and bands for deads and thats probably my favorite lift.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 10-12-2012 at 06:20 PM.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    Can you give an example of what a week would look like? I also don't understand your second paragraph? good info

I can dead lift all day but as soon as I start squatting again, I end up going too low or off center and I tweak my back for a weak or two. I have my own rogue westside style rack, but I don't squat in it often because the floor is slanted. I have bumper plates and bands for deads and thats probably my favorite lift.
    Sample:

Monday:
    Squat 5/3/1, last set max reps(8-10 reps for Week 1, 6-8 reps for Week 2, 3-6 reps for Week 3)
    Squat @ 50%, 5 x 10 reps
    Bench Press 5/3/1, last set max reps
    Bench Press @ 50%, 5 x 10 reps
    Assistance:
    Weighted Dips 4-5 sets x 10-12 reps
    Romanian Deadlifts 4-5 sets x 10-12 reps, a few heavy sets of 3-5 reps
    Dumbbell Rows or Barbell Rows 4-5 sets x 10-12 reps
    Lat Pulldowns or Pullups 4-5 sets x 10-12 reps
    Tricep rope pushdowns 4-5 sets x 10-12 reps

Why those assistance exercises?
    Weighted dips: Strengthen arms, chest, and shoulders. Aids in locking out your pressing movement and strengthen the triceps(the key in pressing strength).
    Romanian Deadlifts: Strengthen hamstrings.
    Dumbbell Rows: Balance out the pressing movements. Strengthen the upper back. Get stronger in pulling movements.
    Lat Pulldowns/Pullups: Same as above, but balance out pulling from a vertical plane.
    Tricep rope pushdowns: Extra tricep work.

Conditoning: Stairmaster.

Goals of workout in relation to firefighter work:
    Squat: strengthen lower body:stair/ladder climbing, dragging hoselines, overhaul work, ladder work
    Bench: upper body strength: for ladder raises, crawling, stabilizing weight overhead and horizontal
    Dips: upper body strength: same as bench
    RDL's: strengthen lower body:same as squat, but hamstring isolation.
    Dumbbell Rows: upper body strength: hoisting, pulling hoselines, overhaul work,
    Lat Pulldowns:same as rows
    Tricpe rope pushdowns: accessory to strengthen triceps/arm: for halyard raises, and increase strength in any pressing movement.
    Stairmaster:Build up muscular endurance needed to climb ladders and stairs.

Stretch and mobility work.

EAT.HYDRATE.SLEEP

Tuesday:
    -Tire Dragging: forwards and backwards. Helps aid in recovery due to no "negative" portion of the exercise. Strengthens, the muscles needed for dragging hose(forward) and victims(backwards). Builds up anaerobic capacity. 5 reps each, forward and backward.
    -5k Run and bodyweight circuit.
    -Stretch/Mobility work
    -EAT.HYDRATE.SLEEP.

Wednesday:
    -Sledgehammer on a tire. Swing for power(3-5 reps) and for endurance (20-30 reps). High swings and low swings.
    -Kettlebell circuit and light run.
    -EAT. HYDRATE.SLEEP

Thursday:
    Rest

Friday:
    Deadlift 5/3/1
    Deadlift @ 50% 5 x 10
    Overhead Press 5/3/1
    Overhead Press @ 50% 5 x 10
    Assistance:
    Front Squats, 5 x 5
    Dumbbell Rows, 4-5 x 10-12
    Barbell Curls 5 x 10

Goals of workout in relation to firefighter work:
    Deadlift: lifting victims off the floor, lifting victims up on backboard
    Overhead Press: ladder raises, overhaul work, misc. overhead strength
    Front Squat: increase strength in quads for dragging victims, advancing hoseline
    Dumbbell Rows: same as above
    Barbell Curls: stabilizing hoseline, increase strength/endurance in pulling movements, carry victims

Conditioning:Stairmaster/mill

EAT.HYDRATE.SLEEP.

Saturday:
    Run

Sunday:Rest

When you get closer to your academy date, you can just do the main lifts, and cut down significantly on the assistance, and focus more on "academy style PT" for cardio. I think it would provide a good foundation and base.

Re:second paragraph. The 5/3/1 is a slow program compared to pure strength programs. BUT if you stick to the program you will gain 100 pounds in your squat and deadlift and 60 pounds in your bench press and overhead press in one year. Strength takes time to develop, be patient, stick to the program and you will see results. Cardio/endruance, if you are not fat/obese, can be develop alot quicker than strength, a year or less, if you put in the work.

Remember to listen to your body, what works for me, may not work for you, we are all different. You cannot go hard and fast everyday, remember that. Volume is built up gradually. Did you see my post# 4237? Little more in detail.

Deadlift is a great lift for firefighters, translates well for the job, and is a total body exercise. Re:squatting, I squat pretty low, tweaking your back....are you pretty much doing a Good Morning exercise coming out of the squat hole? Squatting low requires a pretty upright back. You may have to get a coach or post a youtube video and have lifter critique your lift. Rack is on a slant? Maybe play around with different areas, or compensate with 2.5 pound plates. Maybe donate a rack for a free gym membership? It's a waste for such a wonderful thing!

I heard good things about this gym, Lost Battalion
    http://www.lostbattalionhallweightli...rg/posts-date/
    Might be worth it to pop in a 2 times a week and lift with people who are serious and compete at different levels. I find those who are serious about lifting are more than willing to give advice and input. There might be some coaching available too.

http://southbrooklynwc.com/about/
    Pricey, if you got the money, but again a serious gym. All powerlifting and Olympic weightlifting.

Forum Member

Just quit smoking! Boom for the first and final step in my training!
    ATFDFF and FDNYPD like this.

Forum Member

Last year my buddy ran the NJ physical. The faster you do it the better you score. He's in moderate shape, but just a sheer friggen maniac. He ran it in like 2:38 or something like that. When he was done the moderator was like "Jeez that's the fastest time I've seen so far...what'd you do to prepare?" He goes, "Beer & cigarettes."

However, I do not endorse doing this.
    List 2000
    No points
    Score: 99
    #4XXX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Desire4theJob View Post
    I'd say wait until your wrapping everything up. Once you start the process keep in contact with your investigator and while they most likely won't say "Ok, they are gonna call you in 3 weeks move here now." You will probably be able to figure out how close you are. Depending on your bank roll and how confident you are that they will be telling you to report to the rock, you can move when you want. I am not otj but from what hear you may get a heads up a month out or you may likely get a call before the weekend to report on Monday, but those who had that happen to them were mostly locals I think. Keep some money in the bank, its expensive as crap here and the last thing you want to be doing is stressing about bills when your in the academy and a part time job will be impossible.
    So I don't have to prove I've lived there for any amount of time? I just need to be a resident before I report to the academy?

Quote Originally Posted by firewrestle View Post
    So I don't have to prove I've lived there for any amount of time? I just need to be a resident before I report to the academy?
    Yes, you just have to live in NYC or the surrounding counties they outline online by the time you enter the academy. Unless you claimed residency points then you would need to provide proof.
    Last edited by Desire4theJob; 10-13-2012 at 01:06 AM.

Forum Member

May be a silly question but in terms of diet to prepare for academy and physical test, does anyone recommend anything special other then fruits and veggies?
    Test # 2000
    Score # 101
    List # 19XX
    Intake 3/5/14
    CPAT 3/27/14

Forum Member

I don't know, I'm a big fan of Michael Pollen's philosophy (not that I follow it that well): eat food, mostly plants, not too much.

Forum Member

I have some tangible information in regards to all your diet questions. Depending on what you are doing, eating right accounts for alot. I just have to dig up all my paperwork from exam#6019. You should find it helpful!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Exam#6019 Candidate View Post
    I have some tangible information in regards to all your diet questions. Depending on what you are doing, eating right accounts for alot. I just have to dig up all my paperwork from exam#6019. You should find it helpful!
    i would appreciate it if you can find a way to get it to me! Do not beat yourself up digging old files up, but if you come across it, that would be really helpful.
    Test # 2000
    Score # 101
    List # 19XX
    Intake 3/5/14
    CPAT 3/27/14

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    I don't know, I'm a big fan of Michael Pollen's philosophy (not that I follow it that well): eat food, mostly plants, not too much.
    Thanks...googled it and currently reading information...appreciated!
    Test # 2000
    Score # 101
    List # 19XX
    Intake 3/5/14
    CPAT 3/27/14

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYgrad2012 View Post
    May be a silly question but in terms of diet to prepare for academy and physical test, does anyone recommend anything special other then fruits and veggies?
    Proteins. Fruit sugars are great fuel and and agent in rebuilding muscle but without protein, you're just whistling in the wind.
    Test: 2000
    Score: 98
    List Number: 60**

Forum Member

I swear, all this waiting would make a sane man crazy. Thank god none of us are sane!
    Last edited by Combat medic 92; 10-13-2012 at 10:02 PM.
    Dannyvale likes this.
    Score 102
    List #7xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mky915 View Post
    I highly recommend Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 Program. It is a very simple and effective strength program that is very flexible.

The focus is on: Back Squat, Deadlift, Bench Press, and the Overhead Press. Optional:Power Clean or Clean and Jerk. On a 3 week cycle: 65,75,85% Week 1, 70,80,90% Week 2, 75,85,95% Week 3, Week 4 deload. Firefighters need power-endurance as the main energy system, and the best way to improving this is strength training. A guy who can deadlift 300 pounds vs. a guy who can deadlift 200 pounds, the 300 pound guy will get more reps of a 150 pound deadlift. The stronger you are, the more efficient and "easy" things will be( in conjunction with conditioning).

Assistance exercises(my rec's): 5 x 10 of the 4 main lifts @ 50-70%, Front Squats, Dumbbell Rows, Romanian Deadlifts, Barbell Curls/Hammer Curls, Tricep pushdowns/extensions, Face Pulls, Front and Side shoulder raises, Weighted Dips, Pullups/Lat Pulldowns, Heavy Farmer's Walks, Bulgarian Split Squats

Conditioning(my rec's for firefighters): Heavy and moderate sled/tire dragging forwards and b

ackwards, Sledgehammer and Tire, High Rep Kettlebell Swings/Snatches, Stair Climbing, Battle Ropes plus Bodyweight circuits(You can't go heavy and hard all the time! That will lead to burnout/stalling), Lifting and carrying sandbags, 5k's(no reason to go long distances), Sprints/Uphill sprints/Suicides, Barbell Complexes(bloody hell), swimming and light jogging/incline walking for active recovery,rest, etc.

Optional: Yoga and Meditation. If its good enough for Paddy Brown then its good enough for you.

Don't let the functional fitness gurus tell you that isolation exercises are useless. Remember your body is a chain, a weak link and it will fail or over/under compensate nearby and adjacent muscles leading to injury/pain.

Even the barbell curl, yes it is what all the bros do in the gym but look at it from this perspective: bodybuilding=prehab work, increase strength in overhead and horizontal stabilization(firefighters need both), prevent elbow joint pain, increase pulling endurance because the smaller muscles will fail first, and hypertrophy. Look at your body as a whole.

The problem is people focusing on the isolation/bodybuilding exercises, instead of putting powerlifting/olympic weightlifting as the priority core exercises, and not doing assistance exercises that makes sense(front squats, dumbbell rows, etc.).

You need routine and you need specificity as a firefighter. No need to pay $$$ to workout with a bunch of yuppies who think they are bad ***, or do a one size fits all workout that is the same for a housewife or a soldier(what an insult btw), or a routine that has no programming or poor programming,
    or has you do exercises that are not relevant to what a firefighter does or needs, or a "program" that places a very high use of the shoulder both direct and indirectly, or doing a clusterfuk of exercises and giving it a female name, or do high reps of exercises that only reinforces poor form. Yeah I am talking to Greg Glassman(Broscientist) and CrossFit.

Use your analytical head, and keep it simple and do stuff that makes sense, and liberate yourself from the functional fitness gurus and bench-curl jocks who both spout their broscience and ignorance.

Best way to use this 5/3/1 program is on a 2 Day Split:

Monday: Squat and Bench Press. Assistance. Conditioning. Mobility/Stretch.
    Friday: Deadlift, and Overhead Press. Assistance. Conditioning. Mobility/Stretch.
    The days in between can be used for conditioning, just no hard conditioning the day before your lifts. Again, you can't go hard everyday, every strength and conditioning coach can tell you that.

That's it, and follows KISS principle.

My hope that fire academies change their fitness programs. Endless miles of running and endless reps of bodyweight exercises will only make you weaker. Barbells, and kettlebells can be costly, but maybe fire academies can use some very cheap and low cost items for what I call "Strongman" conditioning. Dragging heavy and moderate weight tires(tires can be obtain for free at shops) forward and backward, pulling in hand over hand the tires, swinging a sledgehammer on the tire, lifting and carry sandbags, etc. Glad to see that the FDNY does the FST once a week, a step towards the right direction.

Good luck on your training, keep it simple, keep it balanced, use your head, listen to your body, EAT, push yourself, REST, and go kick *** and become the strongest AND most conditioned fireman you can ever be.
    Yea clearly everyone who does crossfit is a soldier insulting yuppie gtfo haha you can pick things up and put them down all day Crossfit is the perfect excercise program for any fire fighter law enforcement or athlete in training it's a mentality u develop to get thru each workout and your heart rate is pushed to the Max every single workout which would simulate running thru a burning building 10 fold over crushing a big amount of weight while resting in between sets and as for crossfitters being yuppies excuse me I must go take my Vespa in for an inspection
    mocon337 likes this.

Forum Member

Nothing can simulate running through a burning building, except running through a burning building. Why can't you just do Crossfit as conditional work to Wendler's 5/3/1? That's why Crossfit gets a bad name, because of elitist attitudes that you have... crossfit is superior and everything else sucks, right?

One of the best gyms in the country is in NY area http://www.defrancostraining.com/
    It has everything you can possibly imagine and some more. DeFranco is an elite trainer and you will love the atmosphere in the gym.
    Last edited by petrole; 10-14-2012 at 12:12 PM.
    Test: 2000
    Score: 99
    List #: 38xx

Forum Member

Hi everyone,
    Long time lurker here and just want to congratulate everyone on their high scores. I got a 97, list 78xx. So im guessing at least a 4 year wait?
    Stay safe and motivated
    EXAM: 2000
    LIST# 78xx
    SCORE: 97

Forum Member

Vq
    Quote Originally Posted by petrole View Post
    Nothing can simulate running through a burning building, except running through a burning building. Why can't you just do Crossfit as conditional work to Wendler's 5/3/1? That's why Crossfit gets a bad name, because of elitist attitudes that you have... crossfit is superior and everything else sucks, right?

One of the best gyms in the country is in NY area http://www.defrancostraining.com/
    It has everything you can possibly imagine and some more. DeFranco is an elite trainer and you will love the atmosphere in the gym.
    I've been on their website.. Due to his high profile athletes( Brian Cushing) I'm sure he is quite expensive...

Thread Information